Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2003, 11:43 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Your entire family — including you — will love all of the pools at Kauai. A couple of the pools are long, multi-level, have bridges crossing them, and one even has a fun water slide! Meanwhile, you and your spouse will love to cuddle in one of the semi-secluded “caves” under one of the waterfalls in the pool. The pools alone are a reason to stay for 4 days.

You will love to explore the expansive and lushly manicured grounds. You will also love the open-air lobby, the romantic sunsets and the private balconies. I had a garden room, which may not be as desirable as an oceanview room, but I loved it just the same, as it was very private and cozy. Your whole family will love when they let the exotic birds out of their cages and let you and your family hold them, feed them and pet them.

However, do rent a car. As difficult as it will be to leave the Hyatt, you will want to explore the island, as there are a number of interesting things to do:
  • Though you cannot actually visit it, Mount Waialeale is the wettest spot on Earth.
  • Take a helicopter ride above — or a boat or rafting trip near — the difficult-to-reach Na Pali Coast.
  • Go to Waimea Canyon, also known as the Grand Canyon of the Pacific.
  • Visit Hanalei (Now why is Puff The Magic Dragon going through my head all of a sudden?)
  • Take an excursion to the forbidden island of Niihau.
  • Take a boat ride along the secluded Wailua River to the Fern Grotto.
...and that is off the top of my head! I am sure I forgot many other activities you could do, such as go to a luau, snorkeling, scuba diving and the like.

If your family tires of expensive restaurants or Hawai’ian fare, the best Burger King in the world is on Kauai. The food actually looks just like the advertisements, the restaurant is clean, and the people are friendly. You will feel like you stepped into a Burger King commercial. The food is hot and fresh, too. I was amazed.

I do not know about the Hyatt in Maui, but this Hyatt is one of the best hotels at which I have ever stayed. Trust me — four days is simply not enough!

If you choose this property, have fun. You will definitely not be sorry!

[This message has been edited by Canarsie (edited 06-23-2003).]
Old Jun 26, 2003, 10:55 pm

I have been to both propeties on numerous occassions. I prefer Maui for my 4 and 6 year olds. New kid's pool, and much more to do on Maui than Kauai. Better and more varied restaurants, more and better water activities.

Most important, the weather is much more reliable. I have always had heavy rain in Kauai (4 trips) but only once in Maui in about 20 trips.
Old Aug 21, 2003, 8:40 am

Programs: UA1K MM, BA Gold, Hyatt LT Globalist, Bonvoy LTE, IHG Diam, HH Gold, Amtrak Sel Exec
the maui hyatt has traditionally been stingy about upgrades but recent reports have indicated better luck. as a diamond at a resort, you can be guaranteed a continental breakfast coupon. they'll probably give you access to the rc. as far as view goes, however, you might want to give the front office a ring and see what they'll do for you.

in general, i would expect nothing in terms of a view upgrade, however, so you should be prepared to get exactly what you book.
Old Aug 21, 2003, 9:58 am

Location: Baltimore - Hyatt Lifetime Diamond/Courtesy Card, UA 2M
I disagree with kv99 on this one. I have been to this property as a Diamond at least 20 times over the last 10 years. They will offer RC if it is available for your entire stay, but often it is truly sold out. I think you can expect the following.

1) Book the cheapest room you can find. They will upgrade you to RC if available. If not, you will very likely get an ocean front instead. It won't help to pay more for a non-view room. They upgrade to the "best available room" if RC is not available, which would be ocean fromt.

2) You can expect breakfast coupons, but probably not RC access (unless you get the RC upgrade.) The current program states that resorts do not have to provide access to RC if you are not in a RC room. They definately stick to this rule.

It would probably help you to understand the Diamond benefits completely, as you may be able to point out "oversights" to fromt desk staff. But in my experience, this property always gives you what you are entitled to, and occasionally something more.

------------------
United UGS, 1K, Million Mile Flyer
Hyatt Lifetime Diamond
Starwood Platimun
Old Aug 21, 2003, 10:24 am

Also, you might try to specify when you check in that you want a room in the main tower (I forget its exact name) but it is the one directly in the middle and 90% of its rooms look out at the ocean. The two side towers involve a little more walking and have more mountain, terrace, and garden views. Floors in the main towere are 14-22 (I believe) even thought the first floor of rooms is really only 3 or 4 stories up.
Old Aug 21, 2003, 10:51 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Mary2e:
where are the RC rooms located? Wouldn't those also have the best views?

Mary
</font>
RC is on the top floor of the main tower, but there are ocean front rooms in the Lahaina Tower and the other one (I forget the name). The main tower has more ocean facing rooms, but it is also further from the ocean (not a big deal though.) I think the best rooms are in the fromt of the Lahaina tower, but there are a greater percentage of "marginal" views in this wing.
Old Aug 21, 2003, 4:00 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by IK in Seattle:
Just forget about Maui, and go the the Hyatt in Kauai.

A. Nicer Hotel

B. As a Diamond you will be upgraded to at least a Partial Ocean View Room (probably Oceanview).

C. You'll get RC access.

[This message has been edited by IK in Seattle (edited 08-21-2003).]
</font>
Hey 1K, this is always an interesting topic of discussion. There are definately big differences between all of the islands. I personally prefer Maui for a number of reasons including:

1) It has always rained heavily the 6-8 times I have been to Kauai.

2) More restaurants, shopping and activities on Maui

3) Better scuba in Maui

4) I think the quality of the hotels is similar.

If you prefer a slow pace, then Kauai is definately for you, but each island has its own character and appeal.

------------------
Hyatt Lifetime Diamond
Starwood Platimun

[This message has been edited by divaof travel (edited 08-22-2003).]
Old Aug 22, 2003, 10:36 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
Kauai is built on a much wider site. Many more rooms with partial ocean view, but, the beach is not swimmable except in very calm seas. Is more of a remote location (quiet, but you are a dining captive without a car). Pool and lanscaping are better (more like beyond belief). In April there was a reroofing project under way. Didn't bother us, but we didn't have a crane over our building either. Don't know if they are finished.

Maui is on a better beach and within walkable distance of a really good beach and one of the better snorkle spots in Hawaii, but not as much oceanfront. Walkable distance to several more reasonable dining choices.

Sort of boils down to preference, unless you want to hit them both.
Old Aug 23, 2003, 8:14 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by divaof travel:
Hey 1K, this is always an interesting topic of discussion. There are definately big differences between all of the islands. I personally prefer Maui for a number of reasons including:

1) It has always rained heavily the 6-8 times I have been to Kauai.

2) More restaurants, shopping and activities on Maui

3) Better scuba in Maui

4) I think the quality of the hotels is similar.

If you prefer a slow pace, then Kauai is definately for you, but each island has its own character and appeal.

</font>
I’ll give you the fact that Maui has better snorkeling, and has more activities than Kauai. Kauai is definitely the more laid back, less touristy of the two. I would also point out that there are plenty of nice restaurants on Kauai (more than enough to keep most vacationers very happy). On 5 stays at the Kauai Hyatt over the last 7 years I can’t remember a single vacation day being lost due to rain, I probably just jinxed myself by saying that .

The main intent of my earlier post was to point out to Mary2e that Kauai has a reputation of taking better care of their Diamonds than Maui, since she wanted to take advantage of her/his new Diamond status. This has been fairly well documented on several threads on this forum. I also think that Kauai is the better overall property between the two, and all the resort rankings I’ve ever seen, seem to agree. I was watching the Travel Channel’s ‘Top 10 Hawaiian Resorts’ just this weekend and they had Maui at #10 and Kauai at #4. IMHO if you are using an award stay there is probably not a better Hyatt in the world to burn points or FFNs than Kauai. If you are using $, Maui may be a better value.

Old Aug 23, 2003, 8:30 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by IK in Seattle:

The main intent of my earlier post was to point out to Mary2e that Kauai has a reputation of taking better care of their Diamonds than Maui,

</font>
Good points, 1K. I would throw my 2c in on the issue of Diamond treatment between the two properties, where I have always had unmemorable rooms in Kauai. But the rain I had may cloud my memory.

I also think that any of the islands could be described as "touristy" to varying degrees. Of course all of us choose to stay at 5 star resorts, so we can't really say we are there only for the natural beauty!

I think jayer's advice is excellent. If can try both properties, you can decide for yourself for future visits. Of course many people would reccommend trying Hyatt Waikiki and other islands as well, in which case you might as well go on a cruise.

------------------
Hyatt Lifetime Diamond
Starwood Platimun

[This message has been edited by divaof travel (edited 08-23-2003).]
Old Sep 2, 2003, 10:58 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, AA Lifetime ExecPlat, LH HON Circle, SQ PPS Solitaire, Hyatt Courtesy Card
Hyatt Regency Maui Trip Report as Diamond (9/03 plus 11/04)

We just finished a wonderful stay at the Hyatt Regency Maui over Labor Day weekend. We dusted off yesterday just as the hurricane on the Big Island was beginning to cloud Maui over and had several wonderful-weather days in advance of that.

We had a one-night full revenue stay here January 3 after spending over a week at the Westin over New Years, and had decided to give the resort a full try this time. This resort in my opinion hands-down beats the Westin in many ways, and the staff did not disappoint this time.

Accomodations
We had arranged our stay for an Ocean Suite. I searched both the current and archive sections of FlyerTalk for suite info prior to arrival, and really could not find anything. So we opted for the ocean suite which is the smallest of the suites. We were quite impressed.

To the best of my knowledge, there are 28 ocean suites: x80 and x81 in the Lahaina tower and x33 and x34 in the Napili tower, so four times seven floors = 28. I do not believe there are any ocean suites in the Atrium (center) tower. We did have an opportunity to see an x80 room and chose instead an x34 room. I would have to say that the x34 rooms are in my opinion the best. The reason is location/view. Clearly the x34 and x81 are the premium ones, because they have two balconies each with full ocean view. The x80 and the x33 ones will have one ocean balcony and one parking lot or street balcony, which might in all fairness be called a mountain-view balcony, but, as I can see the roads/cars when looking down, to me, its a parking lot view because you both see and hear cars. The x34 and x81 have no such issues as both balconies overlook the ocean, and I prefer the x34 series simply because it seems to me that the Napili tower is just slightly closer to the beach/waves as well as to the important hotel facilities.

It should be noted that in these suites although there are two balconies, one is very small and you can't sit out on it, and in the x80 and x33 series, the "parking lot view" balconies are your sitting balconies, so you cannot sit outside and look at the beach from these rooms at all. In short, do try to get an x34 or x81 room if you have an ocean suite.

The room layout & furnishings are fabulous. You enter into a hardwood floor area with a couch, desk and the patio for outdoor seating. There is a long entertainment center with the TV and minibar and plenty of room for laying out drinks and so forth essentially on a very long buffet. There are sliding parition doors into a carpeted bedroom area with the small, seatless balcony and this in turn connects to a bathroom (marble, tub-shower combo) and a walk in closet.

The beds really were fantastic. I guess Hyatt must be mirroring the Heavenly Bed concept - there were Simmons signs where you could actually call to purchase the mattress setup, which is a pillowtop mattress, quite firm really, with a variety of pillows. Very comfortable. The room had a CD player, two TVs and they happily brought us a small fridge on request.

Gold Passport Treatment
I'd say very good with the one small complaint, we did have to ask for our benefits at times. For example, nobody ever mentioned anything about breakfast when checking in, but when we went down in the AM with our Diamond cards in hand, they cheerfully offered us a certificate which we could take to Swan Court every day of our stay for free continental (we paid the $7 upgrade to full breakfast fee per person daily - a heck of a deal in my view compared to a $23 buffet).

And, they also let us have a Regency Club key, which was terrific because in the early mornings I would go to work the cappuccino machine for a few drinks, earning me major brownie points from my sweetie when I would deliver her a latte to wake her up! They did explain that Regency Club occupancy levels are strictly enforced so not to expect this always, but that since the hotel was fairly empty for our dates, no problem to let us in.

The amenity was a bottle of very nice chard - can't remember exactly but not a half bottle of Phillips nor a full bottle of the Chilean that starts with a "V" which name I can't recall - this was a full bottle of a very nice Napa chard, like a $25 at-cost bottle, delivered with a nice fruit basket.

And I just checked out yesterday, but our points have already posted!

Hotel services / dining

Well, I'm just a huge fan of the Cascades sushi bar. I'm from SF, and the sushi here is good, but these guys really step it up. We're good tippers which probably helped, but they even remembered us from several visits last December/January and they really deliver the goods. This sushi bar gets high marks for basic stuff - the hamachi and majuro and sake are good - but really high marks for excellent quality ancillary fishes (the tako was superb) as well as for bringing in really random daily specials and having awesome rolls (do try the special scallop roll).

We also ate at Spats, which is only open a few nights of the week, and were impressed. The ambience is truly quite weird for a resprt in Hawaii - at least go down there for a drink to check it out. Well done!

Another really great thing was Spa Moana. Thanks to SanDiego1K we were armed with a few extra 25% off spa coupons, so we did a couples oceanfront room massage and Maggie did a facial and a pedicure. All were super, but I would have to highly recommend the couples massage (make sure to request that they use the couples room) which is done by two masseuses ocean-front. Terrific.

And we did get a chance to play tennis. The courts have a nice setup and were well maintained, although the pro was on vacation so we couldn't play him. Next time!

Overall
This resort is the one resort on Kaanapali with serious acreage where you do not feel cramped between other resorts. It was terrific in every regard and I highly recommend it. To me it is one of the most special Hyatt destinations.

Last edited by thesilb; Dec 5, 2004 at 9:01 am
Old Sep 5, 2003, 6:17 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, AA Lifetime ExecPlat, LH HON Circle, SQ PPS Solitaire, Hyatt Courtesy Card
Hi Onedog,

Since our goal was to never leave the resort (last time we were on Maui, Maggie was waking me up at 4am for biking down volcanoes...this time I told her...I'm not leaving the Hyatt!) we took a cab from OGG (about $65 each way with tip). I don't recall seeing a rental car desk at the hotel but I could be wrong.

I know from our previous stay that there is not a parking charge for this hotel unless you use the valet.
Old Oct 8, 2003, 1:16 am

Hyatt Regency Maui

I'm at the Hyatt Regency Maui on 6 FFNs. We checked in 2 nights ago and was pre-blocked a partial ocean view room. I inquired about a Regency Club level room and they were able to get us a RC room with a full ocean view, but with two beds (one queen and one full size) instead of one king size bed. Our room overlooks the pool and is almost directly across from the elevators.

I would have to say that the room is a good size, but not large. I like the larger walk-in closets and vanity area. The beds are very nice and similar to the Westin "Heavenly Bed". I think the sheets at the Hyatt are softer though. The room furnishings show very little wear. The Portico bath amenities are a little larger than the usual Hyatts (2.5 oz vs 1.5).

We like having access to the RC, but I think we're going to try breakfast in the Swan Court one of these days for a full breakfast. I've found that people really load up on the evening hors d'oveures. Tonight we saw a couple with plates full of the coconut shrimps. I guess that they probably eat there instead of going out for dinner. They pack up the food and drink promptly at 7pm.

I tried snorkeling for the first time and really enjoy it. We've walked to the beach and black rock in front of the Sheraton, gone to Kapalua Bay, but saw the most fish so far at Ahihi-Kina'u reserve near Makena. Since we are not planning on bringing our equipment home with us, we bought inexpensive gear from Wal-Mart near the airport. We were shocked at the prices charged for the same or similar items from the hotel or Maui Dive Shop in Whalers Village. An underwater disposable camera from Wal-Mart was $9 vs $28 at the hotel and dive shop, for example.

Over the next few days we plan on visiting the Lao Valley State Park, more snorkeling, bike down Haleakala, and perhaps drive the road to Hana.
Old Oct 10, 2003, 7:08 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG GLD, PC PLT SPIRE
Tummy,

We just missed each other. I just left the Hyatt Maui on the 6th on 8 FFNs. I am HGP Diamond and we were pre-blocked into an ocean view room xx18 in the main tower. I asked about a RC upgrade, and they only had a partial oceanview available. As you are experienceing, the ocean view is stupendous. I declined the RC upgrade and took the Swan Court buffet coupons. Free booze and evening appetizers aren't a big draw for us, but the full ocean view was much appreciated. Breakfast is really nice with a pretty wide selection of hot and cold foods. The Mrs. and I had dinner at the Swan Court one evening. Very tasty food and great service. The Pupsters loved the kiddie pool area.

For a break from the overpriced Lahaina restaurants, try Penne Pasta or Maui Tacos. Both are great, reasonably priced little restaurants. After we discovered Penne Pasta (FREE plentiful 2 hour parking in the rear of the restaurant on Dickensen), we went back twice. I even ordered a pizza for takeout.

Drive the north side of the island. Visit the blowhole (1/2 mile north of the 38 mile marker). When we left there was a great north swell and the Blowhole was blowing like a jet engine.

[This message has been edited by onedog (edited 10-10-2003).]
Old Oct 12, 2003, 4:07 pm

Just to follow up since we arrived back home today.

On our last full day in Maui, we went snorkeling at La Perouse Bay and Ahihi Bay again. This time we saw three sea turtles, lots of fish and coral.

We had lunch at Longhi's in Wailea. Nice view and good food. I would go again next time.

After lunch we drove up to the summit of Mount Haleakala. We were a little worried because it was very cloudy, but it turns out that the top was above the clouds. We took some great photos of the crater. The drive down was very fun since there was no traffic and we had a sporty car.

On the last morning, we requested a late check out. Unfortunately, they needed the room for someone else, but were able to let us use a ground floor / parking lot view room in the Napili tower. I actually liked the layout of that room (#101) better than our RC level room, but there was no view and the AC didn't work well. We were happy that they were able to accommodate us.

We really liked having regency club access. It saved us lots of money because we skipped dinner a few times and just snacked there in the evenings, as well as breakfast and drinks during the day. They also waived the resort fee for us as Diamond.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.