Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2004, 1:31 am

Originally Posted by Weatherboy
IThe traffic is getting unreal (2-3 hours to drive from OGG to the Hyatt!) as are the crouds on the beach and surrounding area (like Whaler's Village.)
2-3 hours?!?!??!!? Are you taking the Road to Hana east from OGG around the Eastern coast, thru Wailea, and then on to Kannapalli? I do agree that the traffic is awfully bad, especially if you hit rush hour where you can get stuck for a good 30 minutes going thru Lahaina, but its never taken me more than an hour or so to get from OGG-Hyatt. And yes, Whalers village gets packed at night, especially early around sunset time. And I never seem to see packed beaches on Kannapalli for some reason and I don't understand why. Every time I'm there people SARDINE themselves in the resort pool areas!! Why go to Hawaii to do that. I could do that at a resort in Orlando. I wanna be ON the beach if I'm going to be in Hawaii. But that's one of the great things about Hawaii I think. There is basically something for everybody. Lush, wet, green, dry, volcano, snow, ocean, Grand Canyon like crator, waterfalls, upscale, lowscale, etc. If I don't like Maui because of all the people, 4 days later I'll be on a completely different island where its EMPTY. I love that about Hawaii. But I definitely see your point about the crowds. The longer I'm there and the more often I get stuck in traffic thru Lahaina, the more it gets on my nerves!!! Can't they build some kind of bypass around Lahaina up towards the mountain????? That would be nice!
Old Aug 28, 2004, 6:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
I visit the Hawaiian Islands very frequently. While I enjoy the service, staff, and accomodations of this Hyatt property, I'm beginning to dislike the island of Maui. The traffic is getting unreal (2-3 hours to drive from OGG to the Hyatt!) as are the crouds on the beach and surrounding area (like Whaler's Village.) When I first went to Maui about 10-15 years ago, Kaanapali Beach was really a luxurious area with cream-of-the crop hotels and guests...and a true, authentic Hawaiian feel. On this recent trip, I felt like I was more at a bustling southern California resort with limited Hawaiian flavor... and the crouds were more in line with the crouds you'd see at the Jersey shore.

I wish Hyatt would explore properties on the other islands... especially on Lanai and Hawaii.
Welcome home!!! I can't believe you just wrote exactly our sentiments. When we were there in Nov (at the same time as you) we were upgraded to the RC floor and the staff couldn't have been nicer.

This was our second trip to Maui after visiting Hawaii often in the last 10 years. We didn't like Maui after the first trip and went again last year to make sure we weren't making a mistake since so many people love Maui. We felt Kaanapali was a suburb of Southern California with the least amount of Hawaiian feel we've ever experienced. The traffic didn't bother us but the ambiance did. We almost left 1 days early. This isn't a dig at southern CA - if we wanted to vacation there we wouldn't have gone to Hawaii. We also checked out the Wailea area and didn't like it either.

We enjoyed the hotel and were treated very well. We'd go back if it was on another island . The Big Island and Oahu are more our style.

Different strokes for different folks ^.

Mary
Old Aug 28, 2004, 8:17 am

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Mary2e
We felt Kaanapali was a suburb of Southern California with the least amount of Hawaiian feel we've ever experienced.... The traffic didn't bother us but the ambiance did... We also checked out the Wailea area and didn't like it either.
They are actually working on plans to build a Lahaina bypass as the locals are also up in arms over congestion on that side of the island.

And unfortunately, while it is peak season in Maui, traffic to/from OGG was unbelievable. On a few days, heading west from the OGG area to Kannapali, traffic into Lahaina was backed-up all the way back to the tunnel!! But I suppose if I'm going to get stuck in traffic, being in a convertible with the Pacific crashing next to you and the gentle tradewinds keeping conditions comfortable is the way to go

No dig at Californians, but there are so many there I really felt like you that I was at an upscale, southern California resort. While yes there's plenty of Hawaiian flavor & feel once you leave the resort area, it's a shame there's not much Hawaiian feeling at Kaanapali. At least the resort areas on Hawaii, Lanai, and Kauai still look/feel Hawaiian.

But in any event, back to the nature of the thread, I do find the staff at the Maui Hyatt to be very warm and friendly... and I'm sorry to hear the original poster experienced a "cold" staff member during their visit. Based on my numerous stays here, that would definitely be an atypical event.
Old Aug 28, 2004, 9:07 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
Can I Summarize?

Based on this and several other prior threads, during peak times the Hyatt Maui RC floor and staff are overwhelmed and Diamond may not be worth much in the free upgrade catagory. In the summer there are lots of people out there willing to pay full price for RC and the hotel will cater to them first. Thats the way it is during high season. Don't expect it like we did be disappointed like we were. Off season perhaps maybe.

The second thing is Kaanapali is a highly developed with a good beach and a good reef but not at all old Hawaii, but its very predictable in a resort strip sort of way, walkable, and you're not a prisoner when you want to eat out. Book what you value.
Old Aug 28, 2004, 3:50 pm

And unfortunately, while it is peak season in Maui, traffic to/from OGG was unbelievable. On a few days, heading west from the OGG area to Kannapali, traffic into Lahaina was backed-up all the way back to the tunnel!! But I suppose if I'm going to get stuck in traffic, being in a convertible with the Pacific crashing next to you and the gentle tradewinds keeping conditions comfortable is the way to go
WOW, that's insane!!! I have never seen that road backed up to the tunnel. No wonder it took you 2-3 hours to get from OGG to the Hyatt. At least that great oceanview kept you from going crazy. And I agree that it would be wonderful if Hyatt could make a presence on another island. Big Island would be the most logical I'm sure, but Lanai or Molakai would be even better. Back to the point thread, I've never had anything but great experiences with the staff at the Hyatt Maui either. Maybe you just had a bad experience because it seems like it was VERY busy and hectic when you were there, especially if they couldn't get you a room by 3pm checkin time. At least they compensated you with the full breakfast, I think that's fair.
Old Aug 29, 2004, 2:07 pm

well, I got to say that my stay in Hyatt maui this summer is pretty pleasing. The reception desk guys are very friendly and helpful. I definitely would stay there again. I guess you were just unlucky in your case. Maybe you want to give it another try later.

Originally Posted by peter42
We had reserved the Hyatt at Maui and noted in the reservation early arrival and high floor.

We arrived there around noon. A very unfriendly lady at the recption told us our room is not ready until 3 p.m. (so much for early check in) and we saw that they put us is a room on the second floor (so much for hight floor). Then we asked if they gave us a RC club room - answer none are available and no access will be given, but she might give us continental breakfast (as if she does us a favour by that). No info about the room and RC was given without explicitely asking!

So we went off and came back at 3, of course the room was still not ready, but at least we got a friendly clerk this time, who gave us a somewhat larger room on floor 4 (but still with mostly roof view) and as a little gesture of goodwill full breakfast.

Still we were pretty upset about the unfriendlyness and inflexibility of the first lady, basically showing the attitude: "we are the Hyatt in Maui and we do not care who you are and what you want".

The Hyatt in Kaui on the other sidewere we stayed some days later was very conforting and friendly. So for us this means, that we will not stay at the HR Maui again, until they train their staff.
Old Aug 30, 2004, 6:07 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
I have to admit that in part I am trying to get more details because I have four nights booked at the Maui prop (and four more at Kauai) this November and wanted to get some feel for what we could expect. I don't react well to rudeness so I likely would have walked away feeling like everything was ok b/c I would have responded in kind...that's the way I am much to the chagrin of Mrs. Dingo.

I am going to put the full court press on to get an upgrade to a room that has an ocean view. I don't really care about RC, a suite or even the breakfast coupons. I want to be able to open my door at night and hear the waves.

Peter, sorry you had a bad stay. I'll post back here after our return and let you know how we were treated at check in and throughout the stay.
Old Aug 30, 2004, 11:55 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
Dingo, the hotel tends to sell out in the summer. We were there a bit early in April and had high expectations for upgrades, but with two large conventions clogging the place it turned out a bit less than hoped. After clerk called half the free world looking he profusely apologized for not having any ocean view to offer a Diamond. Started out with a back side room that the wind howled through the patio door to the point we were going to leave, but talked to the MOD at the magic moment a low-floor very partial ocean view, but great landscaping view, was available. I am convinced they offered it to me only as a Diamond. They were cleaning our old room as we moved, so I think the next poor slob in the hotel got the golf course.

As for RC, the state it to be Maui fire code how many people they can let have access. By checking in mid-week we got that, but had to prove original check in date to keep it when we moved because by then it was full. I was naive enough to think as a Diamond cashing in an FFN stay they blocked me a RC room when I booked, but it became apparent paying customers got first preference and they were willing to pay for RC. Rude didn't explain what happened to us; just money talks and I was on an FFN.

However, if you go back and look for old threads, lots of people were getting profuse upgrades last offseason. Maybe in November you score, but don't go there expecting the world or you could be disappointed. If you have to have ocean front and RC or your trip is ruined; then book it before somebody else does.

You are doing it in the right order. Kauai is more old Hawaii and laid back. If going to those two Hyatts I would want to finish in Kauai.

Last edited by jayer; Aug 30, 2004 at 11:57 am
Old Sep 8, 2004, 9:20 am

I have a couple of questions...I will be checking into the Maui Hyatt on Thanksgiving for 7 nights (myself, wife, 2 kids-10and12).

I am Diamond and have a prepaid stay made through hyatt.com.

From what I can tell from reading this post and some others is that as a Diamond I am entitled to the BEST available room when I check-in...If the "Presidential Suite" is open I would get that???

Also from reading posts it appears that I would rather NOT get RC access and just get the breakfast coupons?

I would appreciate any info that might be offered.

I plan on checking in and NOT asking for ANYTHING special just to see what is actually offered to me...from reading these posts it sounds like I might not be offered ANYTHING and it's also possible that I might be given the royal treatment.

Thanks again.
Old Sep 8, 2004, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by Live4Miles
From what I can tell from reading this post and some others is that as a Diamond I am entitled to the BEST available room when I check-in...If the "Presidential Suite" is open I would get that??.
No. The rules state

Complimentary upgrades to Regency/Grand Club, or next best available guest room, based on availability at check-in.

The next best available guest room would be another guest room, not a suite.

As far as RC or breakfast coupons, I would prefer RC, but that is a matter of opinion.
Old Sep 8, 2004, 9:53 am

Location: Baltimore - Hyatt Lifetime Diamond/Courtesy Card, UA 2M
Originally Posted by Live4Miles
I have a couple of questions...I will be checking into the Maui Hyatt on Thanksgiving for 7 nights (myself, wife, 2 kids-10and12).

I am Diamond and have a prepaid stay made through hyatt.com.

From what I can tell from reading this post and some others is that as a Diamond I am entitled to the BEST available room when I check-in...If the "Presidential Suite" is open I would get that???

Also from reading posts it appears that I would rather NOT get RC access and just get the breakfast coupons?

I would appreciate any info that might be offered.

I plan on checking in and NOT asking for ANYTHING special just to see what is actually offered to me...from reading these posts it sounds like I might not be offered ANYTHING and it's also possible that I might be given the royal treatment.

Thanks again.
Not quite. You are entitled to a Regency Club room "if available." If not, you are entitled to the "next best available" room, which usually means a better view. It does not mean a suite, and I would be very surprised if you eneded up in one.

IMHO, with the two children you are better off with the Swan Court breakfast coupons. Upgrade to full "brunch" late in the morning, and they will be set until dinner. Some would disagree with my opinion, but I have taken my kids there many times. The last time we had the coupons AND RC access, and used the coupons. I don't know about your kids, but mine are not permitted to suck up cocktails, which is the main reason RC access might be preferable.
Old Sep 11, 2004, 9:09 pm

Maui Hyatt Luau?

Any discounts out there to be found for this luau?Is there a better luau on the island for the price?

Thanks
Old Sep 12, 2004, 12:33 am

As far as I know, the only discount there is is the "stand behind the shrubs and watch for free" discount. Or if you're luckily enough to get a balcony overlooking it as divaoftravel has, then its free as well. No food those ways of course, but I'd much prefer buying a meal somewhere else for the ~$80 a person. You gotta do a luau while you're there though, so why not the one at the Hyatt, I doubt any of the others are much cheaper, I looked into others a very little but for the convenience of it being right there, I just did the luau at the Hyatt. I walked by the luau at the Westin on my way to Whalers Village. They all seem to be basically the same, if you walk by enough and stop to watch for 10 minutes of each, you've basically experienced everything but the poi.
Old Sep 12, 2004, 5:17 am

Location: Baltimore - Hyatt Lifetime Diamond/Courtesy Card, UA 2M
All of the Luaus are "Hawaiin Dinner Theater" caliber entertainment, but they are not equivalent. The Old Lahaina Luau is far and away the best for my money. But, the Hyatt has a "fire dancer" who spins flaming batons. Not at all authentic Hawaiin, but entertaining for the kids, (and perhaps those who have knocked back more than a half dozen Mai Tais.)

Keep your eyes open for discounts, as they may be floating around. They will be hard to find at the property itself, as they try to get full price from the "rich" guests staying at the Hyatt. I'm sure you could get in free with some timeshare presentation.

If you don't mind a beautiful 5 minute walk. there are usually discounts for the Marriott Luau next door, which is an equivalent show.

And if you do happen to get a room looking at the stage, (or are watching throgh the shubbery,) you might get some food as well. The guy cooking steaks will likely toss you a couple just before he shuts down if you ask him.
Old Sep 12, 2004, 7:50 am

Originally Posted by divaof travel
But, the Hyatt has a "fire dancer" who spins flaming batons. Not at all authentic Hawaiin, but entertaining for the kids, (and perhaps those who have knocked back more than a half dozen Mai Tais.)
Ohhhhhhhh, it was all those MaiTais I threw back that made me enjoy the "fire dancer" the most......... I knew it must be something cuz I loved the fire guy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.