Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2004, 5:46 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Recent Suite Success @ Maui Hyatt?

Aloha--

I'm vacationing at the Maui Hyatt from 8/11-8/14 and booked a nightly rate of $595 ...and am using Hyatt points to upgrade that rate to a suite. (I visited this resort last fall and was upgraded to an oceanview RC room on the top floor as a Diamond even though I booked a discounted garden view room.)

Ideally, I'd like a suite on the RC floors of the Atrium tower (and it'd be wonderful to be lucky enough to get the presidential suite in that tower since I'll be entertaining guests during my visit there. And if Julia helps pull that off, I'll need to send flowers to her office )

Has anyone been there recently ...and used points to upgrade to a suite? (Or paid a basic suite rate and was upgraded to a larger suite with points?) What kind of suites have people been lucking out with lately? I guess the Palace Suite is off-limits, but I suppose the Ocean Suites, Deluxe Ocean Suites, and Presidential Suites are up for grabs.

(And if anyone will be on Maui during my stay, maybe we can grab a mai tai in the RC. )
Old Jun 23, 2004, 8:28 pm

Location: Baltimore - Hyatt Lifetime Diamond/Courtesy Card, UA 2M
I don't think there is anything called a "Palace Suite." There is one presidential suite, but you would be hard pressed to get that one. I also believe there might be one "family suite."

The suites on RC level do not have the best views. You should try to get upgraded to a deluxe ocean suite. They are a fair bit larger and better furnished. I have always stayed at the ones in the Lahaina tower, but there may be some in the Napili tower as well. If they are available, you will probably get the upgrade as a Diamond, if they are not, they are not. The standard ocean suites are a little disappointing except for the views.

Also, if you are not on RC floor, you might not get club access. I would still recommend the deluxe suite with breakfast coupons at Swan Court.
Old Jun 23, 2004, 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by divaof travel
I don't think there is anything called a "Palace Suite." There is one presidential suite, but you would be hard pressed to get that one. I also believe there might be one "family suite."
Perhaps the Palace Suite is the Family Suite; the site advertises this room as a 3-bedroom/4 bathroom unit in its own area of the resort complete with kitchen, office, living room, and dining room.

I also wouldn't mind the "Recency Club Suite" on the 21st floor; it features 1.5 baths and 1 bedroom ...and by the looks of the floorplan on their site, would be an appropriate room to entertain some guests while at the resort...although based on the description, the Presidential Suite has the better view of the Ocean whereas the Regency Club Suite is on the side of the Atrium tower, looking over the Marriott next door.

I've noticed the site is showing that the resort is sold out for the week I'm there, so I hope I luck out with something good. At $595/night + tax/fees, this is the most I've paid for a Hyatt hotel.
Old Jun 24, 2004, 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by mauld
Are you referring to Hyatt's new rules about RC availabilty?? If so, I thought that only pertained to non-US properties.
This has only been the policy at resorts since the program changed in 2001 (could have been 2000.) If RC is available at the resort, you are upgraded to RC and get in the club. If an RC room is not available, they are not required to give you access - only breakfast coupons. This is the same as the recent change for international properties.

According to the program rules, the only place you should get club access without a RC room is at non-resort US properties.
Old Jun 25, 2004, 9:44 am

Suites = Instant RC Access?

Originally Posted by divaof travel
This has only been the policy at resorts since the program changed in 2001 (could have been 2000.) If RC is available at the resort, you are upgraded to RC and get in the club. If an RC room is not available, they are not required to give you access - only breakfast coupons. This is the same as the recent change for international properties.

According to the program rules, the only place you should get club access without a RC room is at non-resort US properties.
While not really specific to Maui, regardless of the location of the hotel, if you've bought a suite, don't you get RC access by default regardless of the location of the suite (whether its in an RC area or not)?
Old Jun 26, 2004, 4:31 am

Originally Posted by Weatherboy
While not really specific to Maui, regardless of the location of the hotel, if you've bought a suite, don't you get RC access by default regardless of the location of the suite (whether its in an RC area or not)?
I have read this before on FT, but I have never seen it in the program rules. I think this is not part of HGP. It is definately not the policy at HR Maui.
Old Jul 25, 2004, 9:14 pm

Hotel Full

Originally Posted by bbbb
How full was the hotel when you were there in Nov?Did you book RC or were you upgraded to RC?
The hotel was pretty full; all the venues were busy and it was a struggle finding a free chair at the pools. But it was still a very nice visit.

I paid for a discounted garden view room...I forget the rate.. probably under $200/night...and was upgraded to a deluxe ocean view room on the RC floor of the Atrium Tower w/my Diamond status. I did a trip report back then (I'm sure a search will uncover it) and I believe there was another frequent FlyerTalker in the room next to mine that we posted about...
Old Aug 3, 2004, 4:41 pm

Maui Experience

Just returned from a few ffn days in Maui.

At check-in at 3:45 PM we were given a ground floor "deluxe ocean view" room. When we arrived at the room it was still being cleaned. Overall impression of the room... fine but nothing special. Carpet was severely stained and the room was showing it's age. Luckily they had upgraded the bed to the Hyatt version of "Heavenly" - very nice.

At check-in I was offered an amenity in keeping with my Diamond status but was not given RC access or an upgrade of any kind. When it was clear that check-in was over and we were being sent to our room we did ask about RC access. Clearly the policy was not to give it because the clerk excused himself and went into the back to "discuss" it. When he emerged he set us up for RC access.

We were in Maui for a wedding so we actually only were able to see the RC in the morning. I thought it was pretty good, though they play their music a bit too loud for my taste.

I was in Kauai 7 or so months ago and preferred that property.

One other thing... we happened to inadvertently leave 2 shirts in the room when we left. I called and they agreed to send them to me via USPS. They then called back and asked me for a credit card number to courier it. Maybe they could have just shipped it for a Diamond member?
Old Aug 5, 2004, 1:32 pm

I was just there for a night (part of my h-moon trip) & they gave me RC access (granted I was on the RC floor). However, upon arriving at my room, noticed it was a mountain view & 2 double beds. I called them, & they moved me to a full ocean view & king size bed, but not on RC floor. However, they told me it would be coded for RC access still.

Nice amenity or choc mac nuts & wine. RC is ok...food selection is not the best, and very crowded IMHO.
Old Aug 6, 2004, 2:59 pm

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
As a Diamond at the Hyatt Waikaiki, I've always been given RC access and only once had a room on the RC floor. Is this a policy of Maui?? or in general ?
Old Aug 6, 2004, 3:06 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by mauld
As a Diamond at the Hyatt Waikaiki, I've always been given RC access and only once had a room on the RC floor. Is this a policy of Maui?? or in general ?
Mauld --

Having read many of the threads on the 3 Hawaiian properties, it is clear that only the Maui property sometimes denies RC access if you are not on the RC floor.

Both times my party has been there, we have gotten access, once on a PLN rate. They limit access for the same reason the change was made with respect to the Non-US properties -- overcrowding.

If one goes at a high volume/occupancy time, one should be prepared to be denied access if they are not placed on the RC floor.
Old Aug 8, 2004, 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by AGS
I spent seven nights there last December as a Diamond with my wife and two kids. I was given the certificates for the continental breakfast in the Swan Court cafe, and it was probably the nicest place we've ever had breakfast in a hotel. Lots of great fruit and baked goods, all in a beautiful setting. It really started off our days in a great way. The kids still talk about it. We didn't miss not having the RC access at all.

AGS

Did you get certs for the kids also?
Old Aug 9, 2004, 4:27 am
AGS

Programs: Hilton HHonors Diamond, AAdvantage Platinum
Originally Posted by bbbb
Did you get certs for the kids also?
Yes, without being asked the check-in clerk gave me four cards with the dates marked for continental breakfast. Each day, the server would mark off one day.

By the way, the continental breakfast was good enough that we never even considered upgrading to the full breakfast.

AGS
Old Aug 9, 2004, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by AGS
I spent seven nights there last December as a Diamond with my wife and two kids. I was given the certificates for the continental breakfast in the Swan Court cafe, and it was probably the nicest place we've ever had breakfast in a hotel. Lots of great fruit and baked goods, all in a beautiful setting. It really started off our days in a great way. The kids still talk about it. We didn't miss not having the RC access at all.

AGS
I was also there for 10 days in December with my spouse and 5 and 7 year olds. I agree that breakfast at Swn Court is an event, and a great part of the resort experience. I think the upgrade was $7 for an excellent hot buffet.
Old Aug 11, 2004, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Originally Posted by dingo
For those folks that were there on an award stay, were you given an upgraded/ocean front room?
We had paid for a partial ocean view room and we were giving a partial ocean view room on the RC floor. However, they told us it was because my profile had a king bed request and they didn't have any king bedded rooms left that were full ocean view. So, we took a room with 2 beds so we could have the ocean view.

This happened a few times at different hotels so we took the bed preferences out of all of our hotel profiles. Hasn't happened since.

Mary

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.