Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Sydney (Post-Reno) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2016, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: bhrubin
I have an upcoming stay and read the entire thread. I saw some common themes, and thought it would be useful to start a wiki. Please feel free to update or correct anything. I haven't stayed here, so the information is based on the contents of the thread:

- Diamond Suite Upgrades are NOT available at this property.
- Diamond members receive a complimentary full breakfast for up to 4 guests.
- The beds are very firm platform beds. I saw a few posts where a foam pad for the top of the bed was requested.
- Docked cruise ships that may obstruct the view from the Harbour view rooms.
- The hotel is 4 stories.

The concierge desk offers a weekly tour of the Rocks on Saturday.

Link that shows when cruise ships will be docked opposite the hotel:
https://www.portauthoritynsw.com.au/...ruise-schedule

Room Types and Floorplans:
https://www.scribd.com/document/3404...t-Sydney-Rooms

Expert Review posted in Luxury Forum: http://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-reviews/r-wonderful-park-hyatt-sydney-stay-and-city-harbor-view-with-a-few-caveats-1943
Print Wikipost

Park Hyatt Sydney (Post-Reno) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2017, 9:07 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Aventine
Happens all the time (unfortunately)...
Here we go again....
Old Jun 10, 2017, 2:23 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Single_Flyer
What am I missing?
A bit of reality and the part where it is stated that the property determines what that best room is....

But there are 2 sides to this story, for the property you are just one of the many freeloaders that spends no money at their property and also (I'm guessing here) has never stayed before and will not do so again because they are simply spending their free credit card nights that required no effort to get. No money, no loyalty and no upside to giving you a better room... And you could have known that in advance here.

So yes, they could behave better but they have little incentive to do so.

Last edited by RTW1; Jun 10, 2017 at 2:34 am
Old Jun 10, 2017, 4:35 am

Originally Posted by RTW1
A bit of reality and the part where it is stated that the property determines what that best room is....

But there are 2 sides to this story, for the property you are just one of the many freeloaders that spends no money at their property and also (I'm guessing here) has never stayed before and will not do so again because they are simply spending their free credit card nights that required no effort to get. No money, no loyalty and no upside to giving you a better room... And you could have known that in advance here.

So yes, they could behave better but they have little incentive to do so.
This is my second stay and I'll likely be back. I seriously doubt the hotel gets no payment for our stay (not counting the food we eat at the restaurants). 30,000 points a night or a Chase free night must equate to some revenue for the property. I'm assuming you mean "freeloader" as hyperbole.

As a side note, the manager has been very friendly to us and invited us on a champagne cruise for the Vivid Festival. I honestly believe it was an honest mistake by the first staff.

They are making it right by upgrading us for our last two nights. They are definitely putting in effort to reward loyal Hyatt guests.

Last edited by Single_Flyer; Jun 10, 2017 at 4:41 am
Old Jun 10, 2017, 5:36 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I was indeed exaggerating a bit....

But points of free night stays will (in most situations) get a property less revenue than they get for a paid stay. So I can see the point for a property as well not to encourage those stays.
And this is a property that has a weird upgrade policy, sometimes they do and sometimes they don't. But for only Expl status it would be realistic not to expect too much.
Old Jun 10, 2017, 6:33 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
I was indeed exaggerating a bit....

But points of free night stays will (in most situations) get a property less revenue than they get for a paid stay. So I can see the point for a property as well not to encourage those stays.
And this is a property that has a weird upgrade policy, sometimes they do and sometimes they don't. But for only Expl status it would be realistic not to expect too much.
I think the first point is valid, but at this and other properties in the Hyatt 'crown' like PH NYC, Paris etc the difference between the points reimbursement and the average room rate is significant.
Old Jun 10, 2017, 9:06 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by m0hamed
the difference between the points reimbursement and the average room rate is significant.
I remember reading some speculation, but does anyone have an accurate approximation of what hotels get reimbursed for:

1. CC free night
2. C&P
3. All point

What reimbursed the hotel the most? I thought I read that it was the all point. It would be worthwhile to know, especial with stingy hotels such as this (in sharp contrast to PH Vienna which has always been very generous to me, irrespective to payment vehicle.
Old Jun 10, 2017, 10:56 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

We know that occupancy determines the amount, but for the rest......
Old Jun 17, 2017, 9:48 am

Programs: UA, US, AA, Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Gold, & PC
Have a stay next week and at this point I am doing a 3 night stay on P+C but really thinking about doing straight up points. I don't see $400AUD a night worth it to save 15,000 points. Especially with the 10% points back offer going on.

Any thoughts on this?
Old Jun 17, 2017, 10:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by thucanhho
What reimbursed the hotel the most?
Yes, it's been reported that all points gets compensated highest, and if occupancy is over 90%, the rate is very close to the paid rate.

This is why you are much more likely to see pure award availability than C+P availability (and why some properties never offer C+P). The hotels get paid better for awards.
Old Jun 17, 2017, 11:06 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Kacee
This is why you are much more likely to see pure award availability than C+P availability (and why some properties never offer C+P). The hotels get paid better for awards.
Sorry, but that's not true at all.

Full points award are (or should) always be offered when there is a base room for sale, offering P+C is optional for a property.
Old Jun 17, 2017, 2:57 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Sorry, but that's not true at all.

Full points award are (or should) always be offered when there is a base room for sale, offering P+C is optional for a property.
Sure it is. Think it all the way through. If properties were paid better on C+P than on points only, they would always offer C+P when there are awards available. They don't because they're paid less on C+P. (Which has been independently reported, btw.)
Old Jun 18, 2017, 3:46 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Really, you cannot just make this stuff up. WOH and GP require full award availability when base rooms are for sale.... that's it.

Properties treat P+C like any other rate, mostly based on (expected) demand. When occupancy is low the cash part of this alone can be higher than a full award reimbursement. It's a totally different thing than a full award stay with other benefits as well.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 8:51 am

Properties treat P+C like any other rate, mostly based on (expected) demand.
I completely disagree. 99.9% of the time C+P is only offered if awards are offered (I've only ever seen one exception, a very odd situation with the Hyatt Place White House DC which appeared to be an error).
Old Jun 18, 2017, 2:55 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

There's nothing to disagree on in my post, so stop with your false interpretations..... both full point awards and P+C are offered on base rooms. The first is mandatory when those are available the second optional to determined by revenue management for the property (just like any other rate type).

So there is no P+C without also the full award being available, it's the same base room.

Your suggestion that a property can offer P+C without a full award being available as well exists only in your mind (and no property is going to offer it for the more expensive rooms).

But maybe it's time for an actual review of the PH Sydney instead of this.....
Old Jun 18, 2017, 7:09 pm

There's nothing to disagree on in my post, so stop with your false interpretations..... both full point awards and P+C are offered on base rooms. The first is mandatory when those are available the second optional to determined by revenue management for the property (just like any other rate type).

So there is no P+C without also the full award being available, it's the same base room.

Your suggestion that a property can offer P+C without a full award being available as well exists only in your mind (and no property is going to offer it for the more expensive rooms).

But maybe it's time for an actual review of the PH Sydney instead of this.....
Do you realize you guys are arguing the same point?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.