Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Sydney (Post-Reno) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2016, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: bhrubin
I have an upcoming stay and read the entire thread. I saw some common themes, and thought it would be useful to start a wiki. Please feel free to update or correct anything. I haven't stayed here, so the information is based on the contents of the thread:

- Diamond Suite Upgrades are NOT available at this property.
- Diamond members receive a complimentary full breakfast for up to 4 guests.
- The beds are very firm platform beds. I saw a few posts where a foam pad for the top of the bed was requested.
- Docked cruise ships that may obstruct the view from the Harbour view rooms.
- The hotel is 4 stories.

The concierge desk offers a weekly tour of the Rocks on Saturday.

Link that shows when cruise ships will be docked opposite the hotel:
https://www.portauthoritynsw.com.au/...ruise-schedule

Room Types and Floorplans:
https://www.scribd.com/document/3404...t-Sydney-Rooms

Expert Review posted in Luxury Forum: http://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-reviews/r-wonderful-park-hyatt-sydney-stay-and-city-harbor-view-with-a-few-caveats-1943
Print Wikipost

Park Hyatt Sydney (Post-Reno) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2017, 1:08 pm

When I stayed a year or so ago, the Shangri-La Horizon Club (on an FHR promo rate) was the same price as the cash portion of P&C at PH SYD. I would say that I actually enjoyed the former more for a number of reasons. Other than the quality of the hard product, there wasn't much which impressed me at PH SYD over the S-L.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 6:35 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
By buying pts on the 40% bonus sale, the P&C rate here works out to about US$580, which of course is a lot less than the basic rate. This worked out very well at PH Vendome, but we were able to use a suite upgrade there. If we were at least guranteed a City Harbour room (as they apparently used to do for P&C) then we would probably go for it, but if there is even a small chance of getting stuck in the Park King facing the road, that is a chance I'm not wiling to take.

Thanks everyone for the input.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 7:51 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by OsakaWino
By buying pts on the 40% bonus sale, the P&C rate here works out to about US$580, which of course is a lot less than the basic rate. This worked out very well at PH Vendome, but we were able to use a suite upgrade there. If we were at least guranteed a City Harbour room (as they apparently used to do for P&C) then we would probably go for it, but if there is even a small chance of getting stuck in the Park King facing the road, that is a chance I'm not wiling to take.

Thanks everyone for the input.
That's quite expensive. I have seen rooms for around $630 AUD when on special.

Don't you also book one night in separate reservations from memory?
Old Jul 26, 2017, 12:42 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, American Platinum, Southwest A-list
Considering booking an 8-night stay on P&C for 1st week of Nov...
Originally Posted by m0hamed
That's quite expensive. I have seen rooms for around $630 AUD when on special...

I don't follow the pricing trends at this hotel very closely, but I just did a search on the Hyatt website for November 2-9, 2017, and they are selling a City Harbour King for A$1,150 (US$907) and a Park King for 15,000 points + A$400 (US$316). Granted the two rooms are not 100% identical, but OsakaWino is saving US$591 by booking a Park King using points+cash, versus paying outright for the City Harbor King. Not a bad deal in my opinion. I suspect that rates during the summer travel season are substantially higher than the special A$630 deals offered periodically.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by yerffej201
When did they restrict points redemptions to only Park Kings? Before, I think you could redeem points for a City Harbour.

Shame.
This is my worry too. I booked a stay for September on Points, but would hate to get suck in the Park King. I guess I'll keep monitoring the hotel occupancy to see how likely it is to fill up.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by olouie
This is my worry too. I booked a stay for September on Points, but would hate to get suck in the Park King. I guess I'll keep monitoring the hotel occupancy to see how likely it is to fill up.
I've checked some other dates and it seems that sometimes both the Park King and the City Harbour are available on P&C (and I think also for all pts). I don't know if this is seasonal or if it depends on occupancy.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 6:53 pm

I've checked some other dates and it seems that sometimes both the Park King and the City Harbour are available on P&C (and I think also for all pts). I don't know if this is seasonal or if it depends on occupancy.
Yeah points and cash gets the city harbor, but points only only books into the park king.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 8:44 pm

Has a Globalist/Diamond ever actually been given the Park King?
Old Aug 29, 2017, 9:20 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by JetAway
During peak period yes - Summer in Sydney is cruise ship season as well as school holidays. The hotel often runs at 100% even outside of NYE as well as during Mardi Gras.

If the hotel is at extremely high occupancy they aren't going to throw out a no status guest paying ≥ $800 for a room to give to a Diamond on points.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 9:56 pm

The dates I was looking at that no longer show P&C availability for the City Harbour.

Also, I do not recall previously seeing the Park King on offer for a revenue booking, but I now see it offered at the "Member Discount" rate but not for any other rate categories.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 10:34 pm

Programs: First Time Flyer
With any hotel in the world there is always a risk that you are allocated the room type you book, and pay for.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 10:36 pm

Programs: First Time Flyer
Originally Posted by JetAway
Yes, although not particularly frequently.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 10:45 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by penegal
With any hotel in the world there is always a risk that you are allocated the room type you book, and pay for.
This is my mantra.

If you are flying all the way to SYD and want to experience the best it has to offer then you can pay to upgrade on top of the Park King.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 11:04 pm

Originally Posted by m0hamed
This is my mantra.

If you are flying all the way to SYD and want to experience the best it has to offer then you can pay to upgrade on top of the Park King.
Its just too bad that this room is really the only choice for point stays. It's not even available to book on regular rates.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 5:47 am

Originally Posted by penegal
Yes, although not particularly frequently.
I asked because I don't recall ever seeing any Globalist/Diamond who posts on FT or the other travel forums writing about being in this room category. So I was asking about verified stays rather than speculation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.