Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Sydney (Post-Reno) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2016, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: bhrubin
I have an upcoming stay and read the entire thread. I saw some common themes, and thought it would be useful to start a wiki. Please feel free to update or correct anything. I haven't stayed here, so the information is based on the contents of the thread:

- Diamond Suite Upgrades are NOT available at this property.
- Diamond members receive a complimentary full breakfast for up to 4 guests.
- The beds are very firm platform beds. I saw a few posts where a foam pad for the top of the bed was requested.
- Docked cruise ships that may obstruct the view from the Harbour view rooms.
- The hotel is 4 stories.

The concierge desk offers a weekly tour of the Rocks on Saturday.

Link that shows when cruise ships will be docked opposite the hotel:
https://www.portauthoritynsw.com.au/...ruise-schedule

Room Types and Floorplans:
https://www.scribd.com/document/3404...t-Sydney-Rooms

Expert Review posted in Luxury Forum: http://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-reviews/r-wonderful-park-hyatt-sydney-stay-and-city-harbor-view-with-a-few-caveats-1943
Print Wikipost

Park Hyatt Sydney (Post-Reno) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2017, 8:48 pm

My biggest problem with this hotel is how they play games with room inventories when it comes to diamond upgrades.
Many people including myself saw Opera Deluxe rooms being clearly bookable on the website when we were there, yet the hotel just kept insisting they were out of Opera Deluxe rooms hence no upgrades to those rooms.
I even asked them to explain why they keep saying there are no Opera Deluxe rooms available when I can see them available on the website, and no one could answer my question, which shows how absurd it is.
IMO that's just outright lying, and I can't believe the hotel can get away with this kind of dishonest guest engagement.
I personally have no interest in this hotel after my first stay and will just explore other options next time I'm in Sydney.
Old Feb 5, 2017, 6:43 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Agjil, I couldn't agree more.

On our first PH Sydney stay, we had been contacted ahead of time and offered a free rollaway bed for our child. Upon arrival, I was given a standard non opera view room. We had to insist on an opera deluxe room and showed that they were still bookable on the app. Low and behold when the manager walked us to our opera deluxe room, there was a rollaway bed in it. Manager quickly said he'd have it removed. The look on his face was priceless when we told him 'leave it, it was prearranged for us so someone was trying to give away our room'/

On our 1nt stay last fall, during a late night checkin we were once again given the worst room in the house. We showed the manager that Opera Deluxe rooms were still bookable. Instead of upgrading us, he played around on the computer, got a huge grin on his face, and told us if we could exit and re-show him the same availability on the app he'd upgrade us. (obviously he blocked out all remaining inventory... which he unblocked an hour later).
Old Feb 5, 2017, 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by expert7700
Agjil, I couldn't agree more.

On our first PH Sydney stay, we had been contacted ahead of time and offered a free rollaway bed for our child. Upon arrival, I was given a standard non opera view room. We had to insist on an opera deluxe room and showed that they were still bookable on the app. Low and behold when the manager walked us to our opera deluxe room, there was a rollaway bed in it. Manager quickly said he'd have it removed. The look on his face was priceless when we told him 'leave it, it was prearranged for us so someone was trying to give away our room'/

On our 1nt stay last fall, during a late night checkin we were once again given the worst room in the house. We showed the manager that Opera Deluxe rooms were still bookable. Instead of upgrading us, he played around on the computer, got a huge grin on his face, and told us if we could exit and re-show him the same availability on the app he'd upgrade us. (obviously he blocked out all remaining inventory... which he unblocked an hour later).
That sounds nasty, esp in a hospitality industry. Why would they act this way? Is it as a reaction towards too many patrons who were too demanding in the past or what? Even then, these behaviors are childish and inexcusable.

I am not Diamond, but I will be heading there soon myself and wonder what kind of horrible treatment I will receive.
Old Feb 5, 2017, 8:05 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
I believe this.
Old Feb 5, 2017, 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by gnomey
Why would they act this way?
Pressure from the owners. A manager wouldn't act this way without directions to do so. Trying to squeeze out as much revenue as possible before any future competition enters the picture (which will eventually happen).
Old Feb 6, 2017, 9:06 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
I wasn't going to post this (out of greed!), but after our last PH Sydney stay, I had the exact opposite experience when we walked up to the Westin to look around. It was after 6pm, no reservation, and the SPG App showed only the worst room category (classic tower standard room). Asked the front desk what kind of room they'd be able to offer if I booked as a walk in. She fumbled around and got us a suite on a very high floor in the newer tower. Our new go-to in Sydney.

//also we lucked out and were abale to walk around the Sydney 'rocks' marketplace area on a Friday both trips. The vendor selling meat kabobs made it worth the long flight both times! Our family and friends asked if we saw any kangaroos in Australia. We smile and say yes, they are delicious
Old Feb 12, 2017, 12:37 pm

Oh boy. I'm trying to plan a stay for my honeymoon(in January - peak season) using the 2 night free certs . Might change my mind and stay elsewhere if I'll have a terrible room. Not going to take my chances.
Old Feb 12, 2017, 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by emofeng
Oh boy. I'm trying to plan a stay for my honeymoon(in January - peak season) using the 2 night free certs . Might change my mind and stay elsewhere if I'll have a terrible room. Not going to take my chances.
FWIW I think they'll be happy to pre-arrange a paid upgrade, if you're willing to spend some money to secure something that you'll be happy with.

Even if PH SYD was one of those which diligently follows the Diamond benefit of best available non-suite (which it is clearly not), the hotel could well be sold out on the day of your arrival which means the hotel would be unable to upgrade you even if it wants to.

Unless you've pre-agreed something with the property (either on a paid or complimentary basis), you will always be taking chances even as a Diamond.
Old Feb 12, 2017, 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by stargold
FWIW I think they'll be happy to pre-arrange a paid upgrade, if you're willing to spend some money to secure something that you'll be happy with.

Even if PH SYD was one of those which diligently follows the Diamond benefit of best available non-suite (which it is clearly not), the hotel could well be sold out on the day of your arrival which means the hotel would be unable to upgrade you even if it wants to.

Unless you've pre-agreed something with the property (either on a paid or complimentary basis), you will always be taking chances even as a Diamond.
I got a quote for about $400 to upgrade to a opera deluxe. I didn't take it, but it's probably possible to negotiate down a better deal as a Diamond. I don't think I'll spend much time in the room anyway. Just want somewhere nice to stay for a couple of nights in Sydney.
Old Feb 12, 2017, 9:48 pm

Programs: UA:1k; MR: PLT; Hilton: Gold
Originally Posted by hyperzulu
I got a quote for about $400 to upgrade to a opera deluxe. I didn't take it, but it's probably possible to negotiate down a better deal as a Diamond. I don't think I'll spend much time in the room anyway. Just want somewhere nice to stay for a couple of nights in Sydney.
$400/night? Also assume that's AUD right? Thanks.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 7:29 am

Originally Posted by jmanirish
$400/night? Also assume that's AUD right? Thanks.
Sadly no. USD. Just not enough value for me.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by hyperzulu
Sadly no. USD. Just not enough value for me.
Admittedly, Opera Deluxe is a nice room, but that upgrade fee alone is not miles away from how much a Horizon Club room at the Shangri-La costs.

Madness.
Old Feb 17, 2017, 3:24 pm

Dont understand the hype?

Stayed early feb using certs and no status. Got room 101. I'm okay with that...it's free right! Room smelled faintly like sewage. Literally. Enough to mention it after the second night, but the hotel was sold out, so no room change. It was bearable...it's free after all right?

Room 101 is right beside the housekeeping station so got to hear the shift change around 4 am.

Service at the casual dining was slooow. Concierge was overwhelmed. I made my own reservations...it was quicker.

Location is ok, but the location of all the other quay hotels are nice.

All in all free room. Everything else was "whatever" and certainly not even close to the blogger hype.
Old Feb 18, 2017, 6:23 am

How this hotel handles "Globalist" upgrades will be the ultimate test of WOH effectiveness and benefits. I hope someone posts a review soon after the switchover.
Old Feb 18, 2017, 4:50 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, IHG Gold Ambassador, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by JetAway
How this hotel handles "Globalist" upgrades will be the ultimate test of WOH effectiveness and benefits. I hope someone posts a review soon after the switchover.
I wonder if more hotels will be added to a list of non-DSU eligible properties (like Andaz Tokyo, for example) or will make up names for their suites and claim there are no standard suites.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.