Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Sydney (Post-Reno) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2016, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: bhrubin
I have an upcoming stay and read the entire thread. I saw some common themes, and thought it would be useful to start a wiki. Please feel free to update or correct anything. I haven't stayed here, so the information is based on the contents of the thread:

- Diamond Suite Upgrades are NOT available at this property.
- Diamond members receive a complimentary full breakfast for up to 4 guests.
- The beds are very firm platform beds. I saw a few posts where a foam pad for the top of the bed was requested.
- Docked cruise ships that may obstruct the view from the Harbour view rooms.
- The hotel is 4 stories.

The concierge desk offers a weekly tour of the Rocks on Saturday.

Link that shows when cruise ships will be docked opposite the hotel:
https://www.portauthoritynsw.com.au/...ruise-schedule

Room Types and Floorplans:
https://www.scribd.com/document/3404...t-Sydney-Rooms

Expert Review posted in Luxury Forum: http://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-reviews/r-wonderful-park-hyatt-sydney-stay-and-city-harbor-view-with-a-few-caveats-1943
Print Wikipost

Park Hyatt Sydney (Post-Reno) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2017, 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by m0hamed
RC are on an aggressive push in Australiasia after they pulled out of Australia 20 or so years ago where they had two properties https://www.ausbt.com.au/first-look-...e-star-pyrmont
Looks like the PHS has at least three more years in which to gouge the public. The design of the new RC makes the PH look like a quonset hut. However, is the area around the RC as advantageous for tourists as that of the PHS?
Old Mar 13, 2017, 5:00 pm

Programs: First Time Flyer
Originally Posted by JetAway
While this is my personal favorite room the hotel nevertheless should have done better by you. I don't understand why the PHS doesn't change branding and management if it doesn't want to participate in Hyatt's loyalty programs. Maybe become a Ritz Carlton or even go independent.
I actually don't mind it per say. Being closer to the elevator is a good thing IMHO.

However sometimes it is nice to have an opera view.
Old Mar 13, 2017, 5:02 pm

Programs: First Time Flyer
I think this hotel likes to think that it doesn't cater to the general public JetAway, only VIPs. The general public can go to the HR, or elsewhere.

After all, nobody is making you stay at this property.
Old Mar 13, 2017, 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by agjil
I don't think you can book a single night with points for suites...suites on points require a minimum of 3 nights.
Did you actually book this already or is it something you're just planning?
If the latter, I don't think your plan will work, but if you already book it, I'd love to hear more details.
Apologies. I have not booked it and was in the process of finalizing everything. I should have no problems applying 4 free nights from the Credit Card right? Travel is for Jan. 2018.
Old Mar 13, 2017, 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by JetAway
Looks like the PHS has at least three more years in which to gouge the public. The design of the new RC makes the PH look like a quonset hut. However, is the area around the RC as advantageous for tourists as that of the PHS?
The new RC at the Star is not an ideal location. It is across Darling Harbour from the Hyatt Regency.

I would say the PHS's location is multiple times better.
Old Mar 15, 2017, 4:27 am

Programs: SPG Gold, AA Gold
Staying now second of two nights as Chase Discoverist on a free cert. Upgrade was to City Harbor, excellent view of harbor with Opera House in full view to the left when standing on the balcony. As mentioned earlier in the thread, my prior stay on a free cert was upgraded to Opera King. I did the two free cert nights as separate one night stays (separated by about a week of travel elsewhere). Just speculating: could it increase odds of upgrades to use the certs separately for one night stays rather than for two consecutive nights? No idea if this mattered or if I was just plain lucky.
Old Mar 15, 2017, 8:24 am

Originally Posted by Maykita
Staying now second of two nights as Chase Discoverist on a free cert. Upgrade was to City Harbor, excellent view of harbor with Opera House in full view to the left when standing on the balcony. As mentioned earlier in the thread, my prior stay on a free cert was upgraded to Opera King. I did the two free cert nights as separate one night stays (separated by about a week of travel elsewhere). Just speculating: could it increase odds of upgrades to use the certs separately for one night stays rather than for two consecutive nights? No idea if this mattered or if I was just plain lucky.
In general if you have a one night stay and arrive later in the day, your chance of an upgrade increases dramatically. That's anywhere, any hotel.
Old Mar 15, 2017, 4:00 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by hyperzulu
In general if you have a one night stay and arrive later in the day, your chance of an upgrade increases dramatically. That's anywhere, any hotel.
This is gospel.
Old Mar 15, 2017, 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by hyperzulu
Good to know! FWIW I did not arrive especially late in the day either time, 11 am and 1 pm approx. But the single nights must have helped.
Old Mar 15, 2017, 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by Maykita
you lucky you! did you ask for upgrade? or was it offered to you without being prompt?
Old Mar 16, 2017, 8:02 am

Originally Posted by gnomey
you lucky you! did you ask for upgrade? or was it offered to you without being prompt?
It was offered unprompted both times, I did not need to ask. Very nice.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 7:46 pm

Will be staying at PHS this Sunday. Problem is flight arrive at 8:30 am, so will reach hotel perhaps before 10 am. Would love to check in and have a chance to shower after a long flight.

What is the chance of having an early check-in? If not possible, then maybe I can shower in spa or pool area?

Cant imagine will be comfortable walking around all day without 'waking' myself up under a shower
Old Mar 22, 2017, 7:51 pm

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, RC STARS, PEN Club, Belmond Bellini, Relais Chateaux PP & Dorchester Diamond
Is possible if they are not fully booked. Otherwise worse case they have a decent spa bathroom with all the normal stuff one needs that you could use to shower and change into fresh clothes, then have the concierge hold your bags until the room is ready. Guessing you booked direct? Otherwise your TA should have no issue requesting the early check in.

TWMelissa
Old Mar 22, 2017, 8:09 pm

I was able to check in around 11 am with no problem. My flight was supposed to get in at 8:30 am but was delayed.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 8:13 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by gnomey
Will be staying at PHS this Sunday. Problem is flight arrive at 8:30 am, so will reach hotel perhaps before 10 am. Would love to check in and have a chance to shower after a long flight.

What is the chance of having an early check-in? If not possible, then maybe I can shower in spa or pool area?

Cant imagine will be comfortable walking around all day without 'waking' myself up under a shower
You never know your luck but we always prebook the night before to guarantee early arrival access. As above it depends on occupancy of the whim of the front desk staff.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.