Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Bangkok REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Park Hyatt Bangkok REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2017, 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by Aventine
Will you be ordering off the special Glob menu?
Ha! Yes, I guess I got that ( single sheet with 6-8 choices , mostly eggs...omelettes, benedict...plus some rice/noodles). Now I think of it, seemed to lack sausage/bacon....but maybe that's a side for the egg dishes.
I didn't notice if other guests were eating anything different .
Breakfast : in some ways a bit like PH Saigon with a range of small plates with cold offerings: fruits, smoked salmon, cold meats, some cheese, various cereals, a very good rye bread, pastries, pain au chocolat, croissants, juices. That's in a separate pantry-like room ( and is going to be way too small when the hotel is fully operational, so maybe its temporary).
Menu for hot, prepared in an open kitchen.
Everything was good with the exception of the yoghurt: crappy packaged, overly sweet supermarket brand. Very poor.
Very good coffee
Staff ...great.Efficient and personable... Made an effort to come to chat about and explain a painting that caught my attention.
So the Glob b'fast is fine to my taste.
Old May 28, 2017, 9:22 pm

Originally Posted by SMK77
Stayed there last weekend. Booked a Park Suite and received one. Greeted as a Lifetime member but than that was it: Suite was not ready when I checked in at 16.30. No in-room check-in offered either. First time I received a welcome card with no name or signature. Couple of other service hick-ups but then it's soft opening.

Hotel will take 12 months to open all rooms: they are going from the bottom to the top and plan to release one floor a month. Specialty suites might only be open very late this year including the Presidential Suite.

The hotel features a very contemporary design with lots of flaws in built quality: sliding doors in my suite were cheap and noisy: opening them without waking anyone up at night impossible. Fridge is indeed very noisy. Shower drain drips forever. Telephone has no direct dial for concierge or front desk. All Park Suites face a new skyscraper, view is not desirable. All bathrooms without windows.

Positive: very nice pool area (but very few people can sit at the pool, most need to go to the cabanas). Restaurant has very nice items (only tried them for lunch and skipped breakfast). Very modern design, lots of space. I liked the Open House concept of the mall on the 6th floor.
As for external noise, it would be wise for anyone with a noise sensitivity to request a room facing the rear, ie overlooking the pool and the garden. My room faces the other way and the Sukhumvit traffic is quite audible ( 18th floor). I'm not so sensitive about traffic noise but it would annoy/disturb those that are.
Old May 28, 2017, 9:58 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by paolo64
As for external noise, it would be wise for anyone with a noise sensitivity to request a room facing the rear, ie overlooking the pool and the garden. My room faces the other way and the Sukhumvit traffic is quite audible ( 18th floor). I'm not so sensitive about traffic noise but it would annoy/disturb those that are.
How many floors is the hotel?
Old May 29, 2017, 1:00 am

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, SQ PPS Solitaire
Originally Posted by m0hamed
How many floors is the hotel?
36. Rooms will go up to 33. Still some floors to go. Expect 12 months.
Old May 29, 2017, 5:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by ghzhammer
I will ask for the full menu on the 5th so I'll let you know.
Looking forward to it.
Old May 29, 2017, 6:15 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
My brother-in-law emailed the property about the Globalist breakfast benefit and included a link to the Live and Let's Fly review. He got a quick response from a manager:
I would like to put your mind at ease and first of all state that we do not offer a sub-standard breakfast benefit to our Globalist members. All Globalists receive a full breakfast for all registered guests in the room which they are staying.

I believe the assumption made in the review was that the menu was somehow limited and different, which is not the case. We provide a buffet selection as you would have seen from the review, and all hot items are made to order and therefore on a separate a la carte menu (and included in the breakfast benefit). The menu provides options of eggs with the appropriates sides dishes and accompaniments, and traditional Asian breakfast items such as congee and noodle soup.

As we are a recently opened hotel, we are listening to feedback from our guests and adjusting the menu thereafter. Based on feedback such as what you have read in the review, we have since added pancakes to the menu. We will continue to be flexible and look at changing the a la carte breakfast menu to suit the tastes of our guests, which is why we keep it as a one page menu which is easily changed and re-printed.
Old May 29, 2017, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by danger
My brother-in-law emailed the property about the Globalist breakfast benefit and included a link to the Live and Let's Fly review. He got a quick response from a manager:
I would like to put your mind at ease and first of all state that we do not offer a sub-standard breakfast benefit to our Globalist members. All Globalists receive a full breakfast for all registered guests in the room which they are staying.

I believe the assumption made in the review was that the menu was somehow limited and different, which is not the case. We provide a buffet selection as you would have seen from the review, and all hot items are made to order and therefore on a separate a la carte menu (and included in the breakfast benefit). The menu provides options of eggs with the appropriates sides dishes and accompaniments, and traditional Asian breakfast items such as congee and noodle soup.

As we are a recently opened hotel, we are listening to feedback from our guests and adjusting the menu thereafter. Based on feedback such as what you have read in the review, we have since added pancakes to the menu. We will continue to be flexible and look at changing the a la carte breakfast menu to suit the tastes of our guests, which is why we keep it as a one page menu which is easily changed and re-printed.
That's good news then.
Old May 29, 2017, 1:02 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by danger

The Grand Hyatt Erawan does the same for their Diamonds (currently Globalists) and Club rate guests at the breakfast in the lounge. They have the breakfast spread and the 4 hot items menu which is changed daily. You may place any additional requests and they usually make them for you.

See the breakfast menu next to the salt & pepper
Old May 29, 2017, 2:16 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

But that's a club breakfast... for a restaurant breakfast there is simply no reason to have a limited menu for a specific guest.
Old May 29, 2017, 3:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by RTW1
But that's a club breakfast... for a restaurant breakfast there is simply no reason to have a limited menu for a specific guest.
Exactly.

I re-read that e-mail from the property three times, and while it was not entirely clear, my takeaway is that they're doing exactly what they're accused of - giving Globalists a more limited menu than those who are "paying" for breakfast.
Old May 29, 2017, 8:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, United IK, AA LifPLT, Hyatt Globalist, IHG PLT AMB, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton G
I spoke to the hotel directly about the Limo transfer rates and the breakfast issue. The limo issue has been resolved to my surprise and satisfaction given the misinformation. As for the breakfast, I was told to order whatever I want.

For globalist staying at the hotel, just ask for the FULL breakfast menu. that should avoid any issues with getting the limited menu - whatever the reason for the limited menu.

Finally, be sure to check your corporate rate at the hotel, my rate significantly lowered even the opening promotion - and the hotel made the change - no issues with the cancellation policy.

So far they seem to be handling customer service issues very well - let's see how the stay actually goes.
Old May 29, 2017, 10:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
Exactly.

I re-read that e-mail from the property three times, and while it was not entirely clear, my takeaway is that they're doing exactly what they're accused of - giving Globalists a more limited menu than those who are "paying" for breakfast.
Yeah, it's like new Globalists wouldn't know they could order anything off menu for free and might just stick to the prescribed sheet. Property wins in that case.
Old May 30, 2017, 10:20 am

Yeah, it's like new Globalists wouldn't know they could order anything off menu for free and might just stick to the prescribed sheet. Property wins in that case.
I wouldn't be surprised if that were the case.

Grand Hyatt Tokyo, for example, used to have a menu in the French Kitchen restaurant that was obviously engineered to steer guests toward the cost saving buffet option. They had a continental breakfast on the menu, as well as a la carte items, but no standard American or Japanese breakfasts.

So in these situations, anyone who is aware they are entitled to full breakfast will get what they ask for, but it seems the hotel's hope is that many will not know this and choose from a limited cost saving menu selection or use a buffet if one is available.

I have no idea what is actually happening at this property, but I would not necessarily believe the explanation upthread about a limited one page menu, unless I saw with my own eyes that all guests received the same menu. Hotels all over the world have their cost saving tricks, that they will not admit to if asked, but just offer an excuse.
Old May 30, 2017, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
I wouldn't be surprised if that were the case.

Grand Hyatt Tokyo, for example, used to have a menu in the French Kitchen restaurant that was obviously engineered to steer guests toward the cost saving buffet option. They had a continental breakfast on the menu, as well as a la carte items, but no standard American or Japanese breakfasts.

So in these situations, anyone who is aware they are entitled to full breakfast will get what they ask for, but it seems the hotel's hope is that many will not know this and choose from a limited cost saving menu selection or use a buffet if one is available.

I have no idea what is actually happening at this property, but I would not necessarily believe the explanation upthread about a limited one page menu, unless I saw with my own eyes that all guests received the same menu. Hotels all over the world have their cost saving tricks, that they will not admit to if asked, but just offer an excuse.
This is actually happening all over Hyatt. HR Danang conveniently forgot to tell my table that we could order 2-3 hot dishes for breakfast. They put the onus on the guest to be in the "know" and I think it's awful.
Same situation as GHT here in Korea. Omitting certain items and the Korean breakfast set and "streamlining" to one sheet. Just eggs and juice.
Old May 30, 2017, 11:58 am

This is actually happening all over Hyatt. HR Danang conveniently forgot to tell my table that we could order 2-3 hot dishes for breakfast. They put the onus on the guest to be in the "know" and I think it's awful.
Same situation as GHT here in Korea. Omitting certain items and the Korean breakfast set and "streamlining" to one sheet. Just eggs and juice.
Aha, it's a system wide cost cutting strategy!

"Streamlining" is a euphemism for cost cutting.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.