Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Bangkok REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Park Hyatt Bangkok REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2017, 12:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by xray
Stayed two nights on layover at the PH BKK. I don't think I'll be returning. The room is tiny and they turn down the A/C at night which is more than annoying in hot, humid Bangkok. This was a Guest of Honor points booking (mainly to see if benefits were extended). There was no upgrade from a Park King (they stated there are only 5 suites although a Deluxe Corner would have been appreciated). The breakfast was alright but significantly lacking in comparison to the Pen which is our other comparison point.

Architecturally, it was quite interesting with art features and a beautiful infinity edge pool.

We used the BMW 7 airport transfer three times (!) and it was prompt and comfortable.

Front desk service was helpful and professional. Restaurant service warm although not detail oriented. Many new staff were still being orientated.

I found the river view location of the Pen more scenic although we did take the BTS which was convenient. The attached Central Embassy mall is lovely to walk around (and directly attached). The top floor Open House space is beautiful and Eathai in the basement has some neat outlets.

Anyhow, the tiny room makes this a no-go for me and I'll go back to the Pen next time. As far as Asian PH comparisons, PH Busan, Seoul and Shanghai were better than this one.
It's centrally controlled AC? That's a non-starter for me and for any flagship property.
Old Jul 1, 2017, 1:39 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Aventine
It's centrally controlled AC? That's a non-starter for me and for any flagship property.
I have never seen this in any hotel.
Old Jul 1, 2017, 2:17 am

Maybe OP was talking about air conditioning in Public Spaces, not in rooms? Perhaps it was down for maintenance? I don't think any Bangkok or SE Asia hotels would turn off AC.

48sqm is tiny? Park Hyatt Busan standard rooms range from 36-43 sqm.

I hope to stay at this hotel before the year ends. It has been on my radar for a few years now.
Old Jul 1, 2017, 3:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by broadwayboy
Maybe OP was talking about air conditioning in Public Spaces, not in rooms? Perhaps it was down for maintenance? I don't think any Bangkok or SE Asia hotels would turn off AC.

I hope to stay at this hotel before the year ends. It has been on my radar for a few years now.
Depends how they come up with the measurements. Some properties can be very creative.
Old Jul 1, 2017, 5:54 am
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Depends how they come up with the measurements. Some properties can be very creative.
It's not like they can include the balcony...

I suspect the comment is in reference to not getting a suite.

Last edited by m0hamed; Jul 1, 2017 at 6:06 am
Old Jul 1, 2017, 5:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm surprised only 5 suites too?
Old Jul 1, 2017, 6:09 am
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

I'm surprised only 5 suites too?
The hotel isn't fully operational and suites are normally finished last.
Old Jul 1, 2017, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by m0hamed
The hotel isn't fully operational and suites are normally finished last.
Luxury and spacious accommodation in downtown Bangkok
Park Hyatt Bangkok houses 222 luxurious guestrooms, including 32 suites, all blessed with unobstructed views of the capital. Starting at 48 sqm, the entry-level rooms rank among the largest in the city.
Right. 5 suites wouldn't be very competitive in BKK.
Old Jul 1, 2017, 8:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Exactly. And based on reviews, I think this property wastes a bunch of space on the bathroom.

Matthew called the Deluxe Corner "a little small" and that room is bigger than the Park King. Review Park Hyatt Bangkok

I love all the "experts" who haven't even stayed here who claim they know the room is plenty big
Old Jul 1, 2017, 9:16 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Dunno if this was mentioned, opening off of 20% off and 3K bonus points - use code PROM2

https://bangkok.park.hyatt.com/en/ho...avelandleisure
Old Jul 1, 2017, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They're going to have problems with the small pool, full occupancy, pool space and many guests wanting the loungers. Seen it before at PH Busan.
Old Jul 1, 2017, 12:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, United IK, AA LifPLT, Hyatt Globalist, IHG PLT AMB, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton G
Will likely change hotels

I am here now. Booked the opening rate (which was then switched to a very low corporate rate) and was able to upgrade to a Park Suite using Diamond Upgrade, further upgraded to an executive suite. Not very large and oddly configured with a big low massage lounge in the very small sitting area. Room is new and hotel is stunning from the lobby the the hallway.
I have noticed a few things so far:

1. Hotel staff are very young and very inexperienced. They are nice, but simply not polished.

2. Only 5 floors are open (up to floor 20). They hope to open 21-35 by the end of the year. It is a bit strange why they opened so early if they weren't fully ready - I guess it is a very soft opening.

3. While you can control the temperature in your room on the AC, they do turn it down centrally at night - so if you like it cold - you will be disappointed.

4. TV has extremely limited channels - only a few English ones, like CNN, BBC, no CNBC or the Starworld stations or AXN. Again, not sure I understand why they don't have more TV content.

5. Room Service menu is very limited. No true dinner items, no steak, chicken, fresh fish, just fish and chips, hamburgers, thai comfort (but no fried rice only noodles) and sandwiches. I suspect this has to do with them not really having a full service restaurant open. The food I did order was nicely presented but very average.

6. Furnishing look a bit cheap.

Overall - after so much hype, this hotel is a big let down and not worth the regular rates. I likely will check-out early and move to the Kempinski or Grand Hyatt. At least I got to try it and definitely have no intention of returning.
Old Jul 1, 2017, 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by SethLevy
I am here now. Booked the opening rate (which was then switched to a very low corporate rate) and was able to upgrade to a Park Suite using Diamond Upgrade, further upgraded to an executive suite. Not very large and oddly configured with a big low massage lounge in the very small sitting area. Room is new and hotel is stunning from the lobby the the hallway.
I have noticed a few things so far:

1. Hotel staff are very young and very inexperienced. They are nice, but simply not polished.

2. Only 5 floors are open (up to floor 20). They hope to open 21-35 by the end of the year. It is a bit strange why they opened so early if they weren't fully ready - I guess it is a very soft opening.

3. While you can control the temperature in your room on the AC, they do turn it down centrally at night - so if you like it cold - you will be disappointed.

4. TV has extremely limited channels - only a few English ones, like CNN, BBC, no CNBC or the Starworld stations or AXN. Again, not sure I understand why they don't have more TV content.

5. Room Service menu is very limited. No true dinner items, no steak, chicken, fresh fish, just fish and chips, hamburgers, thai comfort (but no fried rice only noodles) and sandwiches. I suspect this has to do with them not really having a full service restaurant open. The food I did order was nicely presented but very average.

6. Furnishing look a bit cheap.

Overall - after so much hype, this hotel is a big let down and not worth the regular rates. I likely will check-out early and move to the Kempinski or Grand Hyatt. At least I got to try it and definitely have no intention of returning.
So to sum this up... 1) early days 2) the owner cut corners with the hotel, which results in very comical situations. A/C "light" at night is not exactly something a luxury hotel should offer in a tropical climate. To the contrary, it is not a luxury but a necessity: I cannot sleep if it is too hot.

Few rooms at this property are alike, something we should keep in mind judging the square footage at the hotel. This gives them a lot of flexibility in room allocation, but will also lead to some frustration for the guests in terms of expectations.

Your Executive Suite had a massage table in the living room?

While they do have service issues -- which is normal for such a young property -- I do not quite understand what's up with all the cost cutting, in both physical build and operations. Limiting A/C is just plain cost cutting.
Old Jul 1, 2017, 2:06 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by SethLevy
Complain... they should be able to override the system for an individual room.

I've seen this "feature" before, and it's pretty annoying.
Old Jul 1, 2017, 3:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by broadwayboy

The PH Busan and Conrad Seoul do this as well, it was unbearable. PH Busan suggested we keep the blinds closed. Odd suggestion considering we were upgraded to a room with a view

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.