Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Waikiki Beach Resort and Spa REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency Waikiki Beach Resort and Spa REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2016, 9:05 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Ok people stop the bickering!!

Peteropny - co-mod - Hyatt
Old Jun 10, 2016, 9:59 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy
Original Poster

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by travelexpert
How are the "basic" suites ie those provided when using a DSU?
They are talked about fairly extensively in this thread, so you can get a good flavor of them by reading through the past couple of years.

These suites are basically an identical adjoining room but with a Queen-sized Murphy bed instead of a regular bed. If you are taking a couple young kids or another couple, it's like getting a second room free. But it's not what most people consider a true suite.

In other words, two fairly ordinary rooms, for the price of one. But with nice ocean views.
Old Jun 10, 2016, 12:38 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by peteropny
Ok people stop the bickering!!

Peteropny - co-mod - Hyatt
I agree. The interesting thing is that we are all in our own way saying pretty much the something. Like many I have been going to this property for over 25 years, and doing business in the islands since the late 70's so like many I have seen changes both from the outside looking in and from the inside out! And as I have commented when GS purchased this property was the day it began it's downward spiral. Of note when GS owned the hotel many of the suites were ago blocked for clients and associates. just for informational purposes.

Now that we have a new group that is much more sensitive to the hotel itself with a view to the long term hold I like everyone else here hopes for a return to the "old days" or damn close to it.

I am going to with hold judgement for a year, giving them time to get their hands around this place. I do hope that they consider reaping the Colony.

Mary, your comments are always a treat ! Safe travels.
Old Jun 10, 2016, 2:01 pm

Programs: AA Plt 3MM; UA 1K 2 MM; MR Lifetime Plat; HH Lifetime Diamond; HH Diamond; IGH Spire Ambas; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World
These suites are basically an identical adjoining room but with a Queen-sized Murphy bed instead of a regular bed.
Interesting.

I always request King beds--and had not noticed in my reservation with DSU that NO bed type is specified.

Do the bedrooms in suites have king beds?

Last edited by travelexpert; Jun 10, 2016 at 4:00 pm
Old Jun 10, 2016, 2:18 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy
Original Poster

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by travelexpert
Interesting.

I always request King beds--and had not noticed in my reservation with DSU that NO bed type is specified.

Do any suites have king beds?
The primary rooms have either a King or two double beds; I've had both. (As well as a handicapped version, which I try to avoid as the bathroom closet storage difference is significant if you're there for a week and like to unpack.) The adjoining rooms that make it a suite all have Queen Murphy beds.
Old Jun 10, 2016, 8:26 pm

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriot LT Titanium, UA 2.4MM, HH Gold, AS MVPG
Hopefully we'll see service improve again. The unfortunate thing is that the competition isn't that much better. I used to stay exclusively at the Moana and the service went down there so I switched to Hyatt years ago. Apparently for a few years we were in the top 10 of their guests - staying at times 40+ nights a year. We received PH suites a couple of times and also another 2 bedroom suite one time. There are a couple of front desk staff that are amazing, of course there is Barbara at the pool, Mark and the gang at the RC and some other staff that are excellent - it's just that they seem to have been stripped of anything to work with to make guest experience special. It's all been dictated by corporate. We know the Executive Chef well and I've had many conversations with him about the quality (lack) of the food offerings. It was all dictated by BLackstone - if they had had it their way all restaurants would be outsourced. With that being said I think Japengo has really stepped it up and some of the additional menu items at SWIM are also very good. I never liked SHOR for dinner. Hopefully things will get back to treating their regulars a bit better. As is it seems like I beg to use a DSU and to me that's the only way this hotel is worth the price point. Getting basically two rooms for the price of one.
Old Jun 12, 2016, 3:44 am

Programs: Try to be elite again... :)
The hotel seems to have extremely cheap corporate rates - anybody has experiences in booking rooms using corporate rates at this specific property? Do they check company IDs? My previous company has corporate rates with the property but not my current one and very unfortunately I do not possess previous company's ID anymore...
Old Jun 12, 2016, 5:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Tommys888
The hotel seems to have extremely cheap corporate rates - anybody has experiences in booking rooms using corporate rates at this specific property? Do they check company IDs? My previous company has corporate rates with the property but not my current one and very unfortunately I do not possess previous company's ID anymore...
They did not check when I booked with a corporate rate back in 2014.
Old Jun 12, 2016, 9:38 am

Programs: Try to be elite again... :)
Originally Posted by hailstorm
They did not check when I booked with a corporate rate back in 2014.
Thanks!

I am also trying to apply DSU to my reservation but no suites are available - did not see a wiki for this property, but what is the experience for people to apply DSU to the reservation?

Anyone also has an email of the property so that we can contact them via email? I did not find the email information on the property website...

Thanks a lot!
Old Jun 12, 2016, 10:08 am

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by Tommys888
Thanks!

I am also trying to apply DSU to my reservation but no suites are available - did not see a wiki for this property, but what is the experience for people to apply DSU to the reservation?

Anyone also has an email of the property so that we can contact them via email? I did not find the email information on the property website...

Thanks a lot!
Good Luck
Old Jun 16, 2016, 2:09 pm

So I hear some people referring to the Parlor Suite for DSU upgrades and others saying that they were upgraded to a Penthouse Suite. Is the Parlor Suite the same as what is called the Family Suite on the website (sounds like it from what you described)? That does not look so great. And is that what they normally give you for a DSU?
Old Jun 16, 2016, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Yes, the parlour suite is what they're calling the family suite and is what you get with a DSU. They stopped giving the penthouse suites without a co-pay last April
Old Jun 16, 2016, 4:00 pm

Programs: AC SE, Alaska MVP Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Mary2e
They stopped giving the penthouse suites without a co-pay last April
I received a penthouse suite using a DSU this year. It was only for 1 night though.
Old Jun 17, 2016, 9:21 am

I am having trouble convincing myself it is worth booking a cash and points rate (which comes to over $170 + 10k since you have to pay the resort fee) and burning a DSU vs a 20k award booking for the sake of one of those Parlour Suites since we are only there one night. The Murphy beds and room design in general look really cheesy and more like a double motel room than a high end suite. Really hard to tell from the pics that the rooms in this property were recently renovated.
Old Jun 17, 2016, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Originally Posted by ysbyvr
I received a penthouse suite using a DSU this year. It was only for 1 night though.
It doesn't surprise me. They even give the Presidential suite on some one nighters when they're full.

I'm usually there for at least 4 or 5 nights and now am being asked to pay the upcharge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.