Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Waikiki Beach Resort and Spa REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency Waikiki Beach Resort and Spa REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2016, 8:08 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
For the record: When we stayed two years ago a family came down to the club right on serving time and filled up their backpacks with everything from the food offerings, generally in take away coffee containers, and then proceeded back up to their room. This happened at breakfast and each evening.

The staff allowed this and even encouraged it.

I haven't referenced the ethnicity of the guests we witnessed because it doesn't matter. I've seen clubs raided across every continent by a range of people.

I have to say: I'm not sure how one determines that people can't afford a room. If you're still judging people by what they wear than I suspect you haven't learnt one of life's great lessons. Afterall, this is a Hyatt Regency and not a Park Hyatt so the average room rate is not particularly that high. In fact, I would rate it as 4 star property at best.

As for the wristbands, this only makes the property more unappealing. I don't go on holiday to mimic an all inclusive resort.

Last edited by m0hamed; Jun 8, 2016 at 8:16 pm
Old Jun 8, 2016, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by m0hamed
For the record: When we stayed two years ago a family came down to the club right on serving time and filled up their backpacks with everything from the food offerings, generally in take away coffee containers, and then proceeded back up to their room. This happened at breakfast and each evening.

Not a phenomena unique to this hotel. When Conrad Tokyo lounge was full, they actually requested that we take stuff back to our room. They even brought stuff from the lounge to our room for us.
Old Jun 9, 2016, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Originally Posted by StirredNotShaken
I'm wondering if you were referring to us last Saturday night... LOL! I didn't exactly dress up while I was there, so I might have been the one you are speaking of (I hope not though).
I think we were at the Hula Grill on Sat night. We stopped in for my personally created by Mark Chocolate Milk later on (he was off, but I got one anyway )

I agree with you 100%. We have found the food and service at Japengo disappointing both times that we've eaten there. There is a new Executive Chef at Japengo so we are curious to see if the food quality warrants the prices now, but we're afraid that the slow and mistake-laden wait-staff have not been replaced.
We were very pleased with the service at Japengo. They were attentive and brought the food out perfectly timed to finishing each of our courses. The old Exec chef is at the new restaurant in Bloomingdales. I happened to see him when I was there, though I didn't eat there.

The Chinese restaurant downstairs on the Ground Floor, Seafood Village, is also disappointing for the prices they charge.
I have always known not to eat there The restaurant isn't hotel owned.
[/QUOTE]

Originally Posted by edgewood49
Would love to see the Colony space redone, it's just sitting there. Hot summer evenings, ice cold martini and a steak !!
I've seen the Colony used for group meetings. Not sure if food was being served.

Originally Posted by m0hamed

I've taken food away at the encouragement of the staff, but it's only been when we were leaving for the day and they wanted us to have some food with us

I haven't referenced the ethnicity of the guests we witnessed because it doesn't matter. I've seen clubs raided across every continent by a range of people.
I didn't say anything either. People assumed it was Asian tour groups.

I have to say: I'm not sure how one determines that people can't afford a room. If you're still judging people by what they wear than I suspect you haven't learnt one of life's great lessons. Afterall, this is a Hyatt Regency and not a Park Hyatt so the average room rate is not particularly that high. In fact, I would rate it as 4 star property at best.
Generally speaking, manners and comportment. Our usual attire in Hawaii is shorts, t-shirts, and slippahs. But they're all good quality and neat. These people had none of those attributes. And they were filling their plates so high that they were dropping food going back to the table. And it was more than one plate each trip, and there were more than 1 trips

As for the wristbands, this only makes the property more unappealing. I don't go on holiday to mimic an all inclusive resort.
Then don't go to Disney because without the wristband, you're going to be sunk I actually liked having it and not needing to worry if I had my key with me. I put it on in the morning and forgot about it for the rest of the day. But, perhaps it's because I've become used to wearing it from all my trips to Disney. After I get home, I actually feel like my wrist is missing something

Let's face it... the club is incredibly more crowded, DSUs are impossible to use unless you know someone and call. That started along with all the diamond giveaways and credit card churning.
Old Jun 9, 2016, 11:11 am

Originally Posted by Mary2e
That started along with all the diamond giveaways and credit card churning.
For some reason there seems to be this idea that a hotel becomes an exclusive enclave when someone simply stays in a chain 25 nights and that anyone else is an interloper. A hotel is a public accommodation open to anyone and its benefits are extended however the management chooses. As a customer you're free to spend your money elsewhere. "Elite" status isn't real social status-it's simply a marketing gimmick.
Old Jun 9, 2016, 11:16 am

Hey, Jetaway, we get it. We've gotten it since 2014 when the hotel front desk lied to you about an upgraded room and you've been on a crusade against it ever since. I've looked back at your posts and am astounded as to how many times you've said you won't be back while continuously bashing it.

The last time I posted something complimentary about the hotel you continued with the crusade.

You said you'd never stay there again, so why are you even bothering to look at the thread and challenge anyone who has something nice to say about it? They lied to you - they shouldn't have. But instead of doing something about it while you were there, you went on this crusade, which I don't understand.

The hotel is far from perfect, but many people do enjoy it.
Old Jun 9, 2016, 11:49 am

Hey, Jetaway, we get it. We've gotten it since 2014 when the hotel front desk lied to you about an upgraded room and you've been on a crusade against it ever since. I've looked back at your posts and am astounded as to how many times you've said you won't be back while continuously bashing it.

The last time I posted something complimentary about the hotel you continued with the crusade.

You said you'd never stay there again, so why are you even bothering to look at the thread and challenge anyone who has something nice to say about it? They lied to you - they shouldn't have. But instead of doing something about it while you were there, you went on this crusade, which I don't understand.

The hotel is far from perfect, but many people do enjoy it.
Yes, I am on a "crusade" about this hotel because I've stayed enough in the past to know how great it was. Like you, I'm a long-time Diamond and could count on Diamond courtesies at this hotel although, unlike you, I did not receive routine upgrades to a Penthouse suite. But I did get good ocean view rooms. But much has changed at the HRW over the last few years as others have pointed out. And I do hope the new owners restore the hotel to its former glory. BTW-hotel snobbery rankles me as much as poor hospitality.
Old Jun 9, 2016, 12:11 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by JetAway
Yes, I am on a "crusade" about this hotel because I've stayed enough in the past to know how great it was. Like you, I'm a long-time Diamond and could count on Diamond courtesies at this hotel although, unlike you, I did not receive routine upgrades to a Penthouse suite. But I did get good ocean view rooms. But much has changed at the HRW over the last few years as others have pointed out. And I do hope the new owners restore the hotel to its former glory. BTW-hotel snobbery rankles me as much as poor hospitality.
Ok, My two cents worth ! Like JetAway I am somewhat pissed at HR Waikiki knowing some of what goes on or let's say use to go on behind the scenes. There was a time when I had someone staying there at least once a month on business and had a negotiated rate with them. I also agree with J/A that I have never been given a suite let alone a PH in the 20 some odd years I have been staying there. And yes a long time Diamond with "my Hyatt Concierge" even they shake their heads at this property.
Having said that all I really ask is consistency from them, which is very lacking unless of course your a foreign visitor and more in particular the far east / Asia.

So let's all hope that the new owners bring this property back to or close to the level of service it once was, certainly none of the US based EC firms can
Old Jun 9, 2016, 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by JetAway
BTW-hotel snobbery rankles me as much as poor hospitality.
I have to address this.

It's not hotel snobbery.... it's a great deal of disappointment as to what has happened not only to this hotel, but many, many others due to the giveaways and card churning, when together, brought in a bunch of people who admit they could never have afforded to stay at the hotel in the first place. If you call that snobbery, well, you're entitled to your opinion.

The last one, the diamond giveaway, was, IMHO, a mistake by the twitter team that they couldn't find a way to fix, so they limited the use of DSUs to try to stem the flood of upgrades now out there.

Many of us earned our way into these properties. We're not there on points - my hotel bill was not insignificant after this last trip. We spent 4 or 5 nights worth just in the spa. To see properties having to change their policies and only give the minimum required (if that much) because of the flood of new people who are there on points only for as long as their diamond lasts is very, very disappointing.

So, snobbery it's not.
Old Jun 9, 2016, 1:04 pm

Ok, My two cents worth ! Like JetAway I am somewhat pissed at HR Waikiki knowing some of what goes on or let's say use to go on behind the scenes. There was a time when I had someone staying there at least once a month on business and had a negotiated rate with them. I also agree with J/A that I have never been given a suite let alone a PH in the 20 some odd years I have been staying there. And yes a long time Diamond with "my Hyatt Concierge" even they shake their heads at this property.
Having said that all I really ask is consistency from them, which is very lacking unless of course your a foreign visitor and more in particular the far east / Asia.

So let's all hope that the new owners bring this property back to or close to the level of service it once was, certainly none of the US based EC firms can
Just a point - I was clearly told that the PH giveaways had stopped because they were being sold. I paid for mine. However, I did get them routinely for at least 3 or 4 years prior.

As well, we go there for at least a week at a time - often longer, and sometimes it's twice a year. We spend money there. We go to the restaurants and use the spa several times. We also bring gifts to the staff, and always ask if anyone wants anything special from the NY area. This trip, if you can believe it, we brought a frozen pie from a special bakery. Other trips we brought t-shirts for their kids or Yankees ball caps. We tip everyone. From the housekeeping staff to the people who bus the tables in the club. If we miss someone because they're off, we leave something with their boss. We've even given gift cards to the front desk staff when they went out of their way for us. We never complain about anything, even if something is wrong, and we're generally just happy to be there. We're not snobs nor do we put on airs. In other words, we let them know we appreciate all they do for us. And we did the same even though we had to pay for the PH.

I do hope the service levels go back to even close where they were, but quite honestly, we never really used them, nor do we miss them now. What we miss is the old attitude of them being happy for returning guests and showing them as much without having to ask for it.
obscure2k likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2016, 5:41 pm

Programs: Qantas Platinum, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
The only reason we keep going back to this hotel yearly,or more often as is the case now, is because of the Club.
I LOVE the staff there.
And I love sitting on the veranda at sunset.
I find the rest of the hotel very ordinary.
The views are good, too.
But the rooms are ordinary.
Old Jun 9, 2016, 6:22 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by frogss29
The only reason we keep going back to this hotel yearly,or more often as is the case now, is because of the Club.
I LOVE the staff there.
And I love sitting on the veranda at sunset.
I find the rest of the hotel very ordinary.
The views are good, too.
But the rooms are ordinary.
Your thoughts are universally agreed !
Old Jun 9, 2016, 7:17 pm

Programs: Jose Cuervo Gold, Bud Light Platinum, Schwab 401K, VW Bug 2MM
The groups and guests from Japan are always exceedingly polite and well mannered, so I would say lumping them all together as "asian tour groups" is not helpful. If anything, I've noticed "american" tourists causing more of a ruckus in the lounge more than anyone else.
Old Jun 10, 2016, 12:18 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy
Original Poster

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Your thoughts are universally agreed !
Universally? I must be the outlier in this universe.

I've been staying at this hotel for a week-plus, on average twice a year, for the past dozen or so years.

The Club has zero influence for me. I drop in occasionally in the morning, but more often walk over to the Honolulu Coffee Company at the Moana to pick up lattes and lilikoi banana bread to enjoy while peacefully looking out over the ocean from our veranda. I don't think I've never been in the club in the evening.

The basic rooms are fairly ordinary; I agree with that -- especially with their remodel. You could be at a beach hotel anywhere. It's a shame they eliminated all the Hawaiian charm. But the rooms are just fine. Good beds and comfortable.

As a Diamond, I don't think I've ever lacked for an ocean or Diamond Head room -- usually ocean front on a high floor. They take great care of me in this regard. Service I receive is overall consistently good.

Is the property what is was a dozen years ago? No, the owners have clearly milked it for too long.

But in terms of cost/benefit, I still feel good about the value equation I receive here -- and it has nothing to do with the Club.
Old Jun 10, 2016, 1:58 am

Programs: AA Plt 3MM; UA 1K 2 MM; MR Lifetime Plat; HH Lifetime Diamond; HH Diamond; IGH Spire Ambas; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World
The basic rooms are fairly ordinary; I agree with that -- especially with their remodel. You could be at a beach hotel anywhere. It's a shame they eliminated all the Hawaiian charm. But the rooms are just fine. Good beds and comfortable.
How are the "basic" suites ie those provided when using a DSU?
Old Jun 10, 2016, 4:53 am

... it's a great deal of disappointment as to what has happened not only to this hotel, but many, many others due to the giveaways and card churning, when together, brought in a bunch of people who admit they could never have afforded to stay at the hotel in the first place.
you seem to have your own crusade also

just saying ...

-David

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.