Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Waikiki Beach Resort and Spa REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency Waikiki Beach Resort and Spa REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2017, 7:22 am

The HR Waikiki has, over the last few years, become a Japanese mass-tourism hotel, the volume of which squeezes out the options for individual travelers. It'll be interesting to see what the future holds, both with the new owners as well as Hyatt's new loyalty program. But I suspect it will be very difficult for this hotel to go "cold turkey" away from its current business model.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 9:00 am

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by StirredNotShaken
I can guarantee you that a Diamond member is NOT guaranteed an oceanfront room at the HR Waikiki, because I got an Ewa-facing room this weekend (although it was also NYE).

I typically get an oceanfront or a partial-oceanfront room on a high-floor roughly 75% of the time. In two years of being a Diamond, I have only gotten a DSU to work once - the HR Waikiki is incredibly booked year-round by a large Japanese visitor base.

I'll update the Hyatt Waikiki Centric thread later, as I have a reservation there this weekend.
Please let us know your experiences at the new Centric I asked my guy at Hyatt Concierge and he has not heard much feedback so we wait your stay and hope its' a good one
Old Jan 4, 2017, 9:02 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
Interesting. I wonder if they're completely unaware that "waiting until next year" to roll out the red carpet will in many instances be too little, too late, since many of us have already decided to move our focus elsewhere.

I already have five non-Hyatt nights booked for January (San Diego and Mexico City). In both instances, the alternative was approx. 2x the price of the Hyatt.
No sure of what is going on, i did check into the Seattle Grand and was greeted and treated well. Got a suite to boot.

I know when we were in Dubai in Dec. the Concierge person was telling me they were still a bit confused however he did say they understood what the new "Globalist' was ( gag me with a spoon on that damn name)

Being in SD once a month I like the Marriott Marina have for years.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 1:47 am

Originally Posted by jpdx
Quite frankly, SPG options in HNL aren't spectacular either. I've been Hyatt Diamond/SPG Plat for over a decade, and have stayed at each of the SPG properties at least a half dozen times.

The problem with SPG is that there's no guarantee that you'll get a suite or decent room. Unlike Hyatt DSUs (which are confirmed at booking), SPG's Suite Night Awards (SNAs) are applied to your reservation and will be confirmed between 5 and 1 day prior to your stay. In Waikiki, this is a huge gamble, because hotels are frequently sold out and the upgrade doesn't clear.

In theory, Royal Hawaiian, Westin Moana, and Sheraton are all superior to the Hyatt -- with some great rooms in the upgrade pool, and at least in case of the Sheraton, occasional upgrades to spectacular suites 2-3 categories above the standard suites SNAs book into. So if you're lucky to get a good upgrade, the SPG properties will be much better than the Hyatt. However, if the hotels are full, you can end up in awful rooms. We stayed at the Moana over Thanksgiving 2016 and were assigned a cruise ship sized room in the historic (Banyan) building.

As much as people complain about the Hyatt, you're almost guaranteed to receive an oceanfront room, very decent sized by Waikiki standards. I've certainly had much better upgrades at Moana/RH/Sheraton, but if you end up in a standard room there, you will be wishing you'd stayed at the Hyatt.

For me, as long as the Hyatt could be had for sub-$200, it was the clear winner, despite its shortcomings. Now, with base rates well over $200, resort fee not waived and requiring an additional parking charge, a $200 BRG at Sheraton and Moana is mighty appealing.
I'm going to chime in on this as I just made the switch to SPG.

I loved the HR Waikiki. Great location, updated rooms with plenty of plugs, and the staff was always great for me.

Now that I'm booking through SPG, I found my most recent Hawaii trip to be less pleasant. I like the Sheraton lobby, but the room I was in was old and out-dated. Some of the basic TV channels ABC/NBC/CBS type didn't work, and the TV itself was very small. I did like how the resort fee covered self parking, which was a nice change from the HR where I had to pay a resort fee AND parking fee. The one huge thing was there were no plugs except on one side of one of the beds. We were upgraded to a corner partial-ocean view room with a King and Double bed. I had to charge my phone, ipad, macbook, etc across the room instead of on the night stand, next to me because that was the only other plug where I could safely put my electronics.

I'm interested to try the Marriott on an upcoming stay. I like the location and stayed there once, years ago, I believe, and the rooms were decent.

Hyatt definitely seems to have SPG/Marriott beat when it comes to Oahu.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 8:33 am

Originally Posted by Frindle
I'm going to chime in on this as I just made the switch to SPG.

I loved the HR Waikiki. Great location, updated rooms with plenty of plugs, and the staff was always great for me.

Now that I'm booking through SPG, I found my most recent Hawaii trip to be less pleasant. I like the Sheraton lobby, but the room I was in was old and out-dated. Some of the basic TV channels ABC/NBC/CBS type didn't work, and the TV itself was very small. I did like how the resort fee covered self parking, which was a nice change from the HR where I had to pay a resort fee AND parking fee. The one huge thing was there were no plugs except on one side of one of the beds. We were upgraded to a corner partial-ocean view room with a King and Double bed. I had to charge my phone, ipad, macbook, etc across the room instead of on the night stand, next to me because that was the only other plug where I could safely put my electronics.

I'm interested to try the Marriott on an upcoming stay. I like the location and stayed there once, years ago, I believe, and the rooms were decent.

Hyatt definitely seems to have SPG/Marriott beat when it comes to Oahu.
IMO it's hard to compare the Sheraton to the Hyatt as an equal. By virtue of their brand is a mid range chain and never really an upscale, their location on the beach is fantastic but that building is just beaten to death every year by guest.

The Marriott is the better choice on the "beach" over the Westin and Sheraton ( The Westin has been left a shell of it's former self) Just make sure you get the front tower at the Marriott
Old Jan 5, 2017, 12:28 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Originally Posted by edgewood49
IMO it's hard to compare the Sheraton to the Hyatt as an equal. By virtue of their brand is a mid range chain and never really an upscale, their location on the beach is fantastic but that building is just beaten to death every year by guest.

The Marriott is the better choice on the "beach" over the Westin and Sheraton ( The Westin has been left a shell of it's former self) Just make sure you get the front tower at the Marriott
I'm not quite sure what you're trying to say in your first paragraph. Why is it hard to compare Hyatt and Sheraton as equal? Having stayed at both numerous times, I certainly don't think it's blindingly obvious that one is better than the other.

I would posit that if the upgrade gods smile on you, the Sheraton is amazing. I have memories of stays in high floor Pualani and Kai suites that beat anything else in Waikiki. Similarly, the Moana and RC have some great suites and rooms, and some people really value the historic feel of the buildings. If I was guaranteed one of the good rooms/suites at the SPG properties, I'd never take another look at the Hyatt. The problem is that there's a good chance of ending up in an undesirable room at the SPG properties, and I'd much rather be in a poor Hyatt room (i.e., not high floor oceanfront, but still reasonably sized and modern) than a poor SPG room (noisy, no view cruise ship cabin).
Old Jan 5, 2017, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm not really understanding - what does "oceanfront" mean if you have to cross a street from here to get to the beach?
Old Jan 5, 2017, 5:05 pm

I'm not quite sure what you're trying to say in your first paragraph. Why is it hard to compare Hyatt and Sheraton as equal? Having stayed at both numerous times, I certainly don't think it's blindingly obvious that one is better than the other.

I would posit that if the upgrade gods smile on you, the Sheraton is amazing. I have memories of stays in high floor Pualani and Kai suites that beat anything else in Waikiki. Similarly, the Moana and RC have some great suites and rooms, and some people really value the historic feel of the buildings. If I was guaranteed one of the good rooms/suites at the SPG properties, I'd never take another look at the Hyatt. The problem is that there's a good chance of ending up in an undesirable room at the SPG properties, and I'd much rather be in a poor Hyatt room (i.e., not high floor oceanfront, but still reasonably sized and modern) than a poor SPG room (noisy, no view cruise ship cabin).

Ok so your saying that a Hyatt is in the same tier group as Sheraton Hotels ? Which is what your saying, my statement was focused around the brand first, specific hotel second. But hey everyone looks at hotels differently.

IMO they are two differing hotels in quality and service. Both in brand and specific location.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by josephstern
I'm not really understanding - what does "oceanfront" mean if you have to cross a street from here to get to the beach?
that question has been asked for a long time ! never the less
Old Jan 5, 2017, 6:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by josephstern
There are no buildings between the hotel and the beach, just Kalakaua Avenue. So the rooms that front on Kalakaua are (at least in Hyatt's view) "ocean front." From the high floors, you don't really notice the traffic and the view is spectacular. From the lower floors, the traffic noise is pretty bad.

The Marriott is the same (across the street from the beach), except it has only a handful of rooms that fit this definition of "ocean front." Most of their "ocean view" rooms are on the side and have only a partial view of the water.

Sheraton, by contrast, is right on the beach. (As is HHV.)
Old Jan 5, 2017, 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
There are no buildings between the hotel and the beach, just Kalakaua Avenue. So the rooms that front on Kalakaua are (at least in Hyatt's view) "ocean front." From the high floors, you don't really notice the traffic and the view is spectacular. From the lower floors, the traffic noise is pretty bad.

The Marriott is the same (across the street from the beach), except it has only a handful of rooms that fit this definition of "ocean front." Most of their "ocean view" rooms are on the side and have only a partial view of the water.

Sheraton, by contrast, is right on the beach. (As is HHV.)
But a much differing clientele.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 9:06 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Ok so your saying that a Hyatt is in the same tier group as Sheraton Hotels ? Which is what your saying, my statement was focused around the brand first, specific hotel second.
Good point, thanks for reminding me. You're absolutely right; there are some Sheratons that are better than Hyatts. Since we're talking specifically about Sheraton Waikiki and Hyatt Regency Waikiki, it seems a little pointless to worry about hundreds of other hotels. Let's just focus on the two at hand, which each have their strengths and weaknesses, but overall are of a very similar standard.

But a much differing clientele.
Once again I am left scratching my head. Are you insinuating that the "clientele" at the Hyatt is better (however defined), or at Sheraton/Marriott/HHV? I've been to Honolulu some 5 dozen times, and if I had to sum up the clientele at all hotels, I'd have to say, 80% Japanese tourists.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 2:56 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Perhaps a comparison of actual reviews would be useful. I stayed at the HR Waikiki as a Hyatt Diamond and at the Royal Hawaiian as a SPG Platinum and have written up both hotels.

As much as we loved the Penthouse Suite at the Hyatt the Royal Hawaiian is in a vastly superior hotel - it's historic, gorgeous and the rooms are charming.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 7:55 am

Good point, thanks for reminding me. You're absolutely right; there are some Sheratons that are better than Hyatts. Since we're talking specifically about Sheraton Waikiki and Hyatt Regency Waikiki, it seems a little pointless to worry about hundreds of other hotels. Let's just focus on the two at hand, which each have their strengths and weaknesses, but overall are of a very similar standard.

Once again I am left scratching my head. Are you insinuating that the "clientele" at the Hyatt is better (however defined), or at Sheraton/Marriott/HHV? I've been to Honolulu some 5 dozen times, and if I had to sum up the clientele at all hotels, I'd have to say, 80% Japanese tourists.
I have been doing business in and visiting Hawaii for 35 years and have seen the beach change. What I am saying is that the Hyatt by it's name and location tends to attract more Asian visitors, always have. Hyatt is a well know brand in Asia and the Mid East. The 23rd floor is set aside for a Asian travel group ( believe it still is) The Sheraton on the other hand is viewed as much more family and party hotel on the beach. Nothing wrong with that, hell it's on the beach.That building has been "used and abused" over the years, but it a live and fun place for families and 20 something looking to enjoy the beach. While the Hyatt is a bit more laid back and quieter.

When the Tourism Board went after Australian visitors many of them ended up at the Hyatt as well.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Having stayed at pretty much all waikiki hilton, hyatt and spg (aside from RH) hotels as top tier over the last 15 years i'd still pick hyatt as the best overall and probably sheraton as second. At both you are pretty much guaranteed good views as most rooms face the ocean either directly or just a little sideways (unlike hilton or westin or marriott or es where most rooms face buildings next door), both have acceptable lounge (again unlike the others). Hyatt is more updated with better and more spacious rooms and bathrooms, Sheraton is right on the water.
Late checkout and some other perks are better and more consistent at hyatt.

You may get lucky and get a nice room at westin (some lovely oceanfront suites there) or marriott but i wouldn't count on it. HiltonHV is ok but too isolated and overcrowded within itself, the other hilton is a depressing city hotel. ES is surrounded by buildings and overall es style feels outdated.

YMMV of course...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.