Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Waikiki Beach Resort and Spa REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency Waikiki Beach Resort and Spa REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2014, 8:36 pm

Programs: UA Silver/ AA EXP/Hyatt Globalist/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by JetAway
I would agree with others that you must nail down with the hotel exactly what type of room they are offering you for your DSU. As a Diamond I haven't had good luck with these folks when it comes to room assignments; others have done well, however. An Ocean View room can mean a lot of things, from a great, almost straight-on view of the water to a view of the adjacent tower with a sliver of ocean view. And there is nothing "private" or "Concierge" about the floor, since the Lounge itself has been moved down to level three. I guess by private they mean you need a specific key to activate the elevator to that floor. In any event, as a Diamond, I would never use a DSU upgrade at this hotel since the "bang for the buck" simply isn't there.
I used a DSU for a stay in August because I wanted to guarantee myself some type of view. My reservation says "1 bedroom Ocean Front Suite: 736 sq ft: 1 King or 2 Double Beds: 2 bathrooms " which I take to mean I may end up with the old regency club suite or something similar. Usually deluxe ocean view rooms are looking directly at the water, but I guess I shall see.

Generally speaking I'm not a big suite person. I usually travel alone so I don't care that much. I thought securing some type of water view would be worth it because in August hotels are often near capacity. I didn't want to risk being on the 4th floor overlooking the dumpster. But as someone who does stay in quite a few HP properties, I often let DSU's expire. So I think "not worth it" is very subjective.
Old May 12, 2014, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
The entry level suites used for DSUs are the two room configurations described above and do have 2 bathrooms - one for each room.
Old May 12, 2014, 7:53 am

Programs: SPG Gold/HH Diamond/CC Gold/Hyatt Explorist
I have a 4 night stay coming up at the Hyatt Place then am on a red eye flight home.

Does anyone think it might be worth the hassle to move from HP to HR for the last night? I'm considering this option so that the group would have access to the HR pool area for our last day before the red-eye flight.
Old May 12, 2014, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Nehawk
I have a 4 night stay coming up at the Hyatt Place then am on a red eye flight home.

Does anyone think it might be worth the hassle to move from HP to HR for the last night? I'm considering this option so that the group would have access to the HR pool area for our last day before the red-eye flight.
I don't think that the HR pool is a huge step up from the HP pool?

If a pool is important for the last night, you might as well stay at the Hilton Hawaiian Village, and get a little closer to the airport in the process.
Old May 12, 2014, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Just posted to the HR Facebook page:

On Thursday we shared some fond memories of the RC Lounge. Today we have great news for guests of the Lounge. The Regency Club is now open 24/7! Service hours have also been extended with breakfast starting at 5:30 a.m. and dessert lasting until 9 p.m. That means more smiles from Mark and more of his delicious Appletinis!
Old May 12, 2014, 12:02 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
Just posted to the HR Facebook page:
I love 24 hour lounges!! Fantastic news!
Old May 13, 2014, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
This is going to be either good news or bad news depending upon which concierge you're talking to

I'm glad they'll be open later into the night, but, for me, 24/7 doesn't really make a difference.
Old May 13, 2014, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Mary2e
This is going to be either good news or bad news depending upon which concierge you're talking to

I'm glad they'll be open later into the night, but, for me, 24/7 doesn't really make a difference.
It will be nice for the jetlagged people flying in from Asia.
Old May 13, 2014, 8:25 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
All I have to say, the communication from this property is outstanding! I'm very impressed with everyone here!
Old May 14, 2014, 6:58 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Hyatt vs Sheraton?

I'm looking for input from the Honolulu regulars. I have an upcoming 4-day weekend, and hold a $152 My Elite Rate reservation at Hyatt, and a C&P reservation at Sheraton at the old old rate (booked prior to 2013 devaluation, $90 + 4.8k points). Which would you choose? (I've been to Oahu 30+ times over the past decade, and have stayed at the Hyatt a dozen+ times, and at Sheraton 5+ times, but I really struggle with this decision).

IMO, the Hyatt has a slight edge in terms of the club (better food, better drinks, outside seating, great staff, but no view, and limited seating in rainy weather), better shot at a great room (95% chance of getting a xx59/60 or at least xx61-63 room), no resort fee (although somewhat of a wash with parking).

The Sheraton has the better location right on the beach. Many of the rooms are sparsely furnished and in need of a refurbishment (this includes the Malia suite, the potential Plat upgrade). Greater potential to receive a bad/no view room. The Sheraton club is worse in terms of food and drinks, but has an amazing view. Much better than the Hyatt in terms of pool/beach/loungers.

Which would you choose?
Old May 14, 2014, 10:50 pm

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriot LT Titanium, UA 2.4MM, HH Gold, AS MVPG
I struggle with these two all the time and in the end the Hyatt wins out. The only thing I miss from the Sheraton is the infinity pool, but then most of the time it is super crowded. In terms of beach we just rent a chair and umbrella in front of the Royal that way we can pop into Mai Tai Bar at anytime to have a drink with Susan. And I would just miss Barbara at the Hyatt Pool and Mark and evening lounge staff at Hyatt too much. Even with the largeness of the Hyatt they still make us feel like a family hotel - but that could be because some years we've spent 40 nights there.
Originally Posted by jpdx
I'm looking for input from the Honolulu regulars. I have an upcoming 4-day weekend, and hold a $152 My Elite Rate reservation at Hyatt, and a C&P reservation at Sheraton at the old old rate (booked prior to 2013 devaluation, $90 + 4.8k points). Which would you choose? (I've been to Oahu 30+ times over the past decade, and have stayed at the Hyatt a dozen+ times, and at Sheraton 5+ times, but I really struggle with this decision).

IMO, the Hyatt has a slight edge in terms of the club (better food, better drinks, outside seating, great staff, but no view, and limited seating in rainy weather), better shot at a great room (95% chance of getting a xx59/60 or at least xx61-63 room), no resort fee (although somewhat of a wash with parking).

The Sheraton has the better location right on the beach. Many of the rooms are sparsely furnished and in need of a refurbishment (this includes the Malia suite, the potential Plat upgrade). Greater potential to receive a bad/no view room. The Sheraton club is worse in terms of food and drinks, but has an amazing view. Much better than the Hyatt in terms of pool/beach/loungers.

Which would you choose?
Old May 15, 2014, 3:40 am

no views?

Here are some of the "no views" from the HR Waikiki.

Old May 15, 2014, 5:29 am

Nice!!! I have a few good shots from there as well but yours looks amazing.
Old May 15, 2014, 9:31 am

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriot LT Titanium, UA 2.4MM, HH Gold, AS MVPG
Originally Posted by LIH Prem
no views?

Here are some of the "no views" from the HR

That last one doesn't seem to be from the Hyatt.

Last edited by peteropny; May 15, 2014 at 7:43 pm Reason: Removed quoted pics
Old May 15, 2014, 9:47 am

I believe the poster was referring to views from the 3rd floor lounge, which are indeed lacking.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.