Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Waikiki Beach Resort and Spa REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency Waikiki Beach Resort and Spa REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2014, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Burning free nights I see There's no way I'd change hotels that many times no matter how free it is
Old Aug 13, 2014, 12:00 pm

There is only one presidential suite in the hotel in the Diamond Tower, 4060.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
(sorry that my pictures didn't seem to show up for anybody else. I will try again later.)

Originally Posted by Mary2e
Burning free nights I see There's no way I'd change hotels that many times no matter how free it is
Actually, only the Grand Wailea was free. We just like to experience lots of different rooms and properties.

It does seem kind of rude to automatically assume that people are burning free nights if they are not doing what you yourself would do...

Originally Posted by porschelover
There is only one presidential suite in the hotel in the Diamond Tower, 4060.
You are correct. The Ulukou Room was described to me as "a presidential suite" by at least two staff members, but in Hannah's e-mail she says that it is "one of our Penthouse suites".

Not that the correct naming particularly matters to me. The room would be awesome regardless of what you call it.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by hailstorm
It does seem kind of rude to automatically assume that people are burning free nights if they are not doing what you yourself would do...
I did not mean to be rude. However, most often, and particularly on FT, when I see people hotel hopping as much as you did, it's often because they're burning free nights. Agree that I wouldn't do it, but a lot of people do.

Nothing wrong with it.. and like I said, the smilies should have told you I was joking around.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
I did not mean to be rude. However, most often, and particularly on FT, when I see people hotel hopping as much as you did, it's often because they're burning free nights. Agree that I wouldn't do it, but a lot of people do.

Nothing wrong with it.. and like I said, the smilies should have told you I was joking around.
No worries. To be honest, that last night almost never happened. If a credit card anniversary night that I was expecting would have been made available, I probably would have used it to book the Hyatt Place.

Now, the Hyatt Place Waikiki will never be on my radar again.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 7:08 am

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
No worries. To be honest, that last night almost never happened. If a credit card anniversary night that I was expecting would have been made available, I probably would have used it to book the Hyatt Place.

Now, the Hyatt Place Waikiki will never be on my radar again.
^^^^ ON Hyatt Place It's hard to believe that Hyatt allowed that flag but then the same goes for the CY down the street.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 7:16 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
We did okay.

We had a two night stay last week, and a one night stay last night. These were our first ever experiences at the HRW. All nights were booked at the My Elite Rate for the cheapest room (Waikiki View)

First night we were upgraded to a ocean view room on the 21st floor of the Diamond Tower. Old design, but more than sufficient for our needs.

The second night we moved to a renovated ocean view room on the 39th floor of the Ewa Tower. We enjoyed the new design and the larger lanais afforded to the top two floors, and I would have been more than satisfied if this was the best room we would get.

But last night, we spent the night in Ewa Tower room 3905. Also known as the Ulukou Room. Also known as a FATHER MUCKING PRESIDENTIAL PENTHOUSE SUITE!!!

So...yeah, I kinda like this hotel now.

Will try to gets pics up on my blog soon.

Here's one data point to the contrary.
I think we had the same room. Is it this?

http://waikiki.hyatt.com/multimedia/...35694.jpg.html

We received it on our first (and last) stay.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 10:47 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium
So I will provide my data point. I stayed for 11 nights the from July 22 to August 2nd and 9 nights back in January. The hotel was sold out this time and I had booked a Waikiki view room. First time this year I did not get any type of Diamond upgrade. I've gotten them at a few other hotels that were sold out, so not sure what was different here. I was there for work so I didn't really mind, but I would have liked to see the renovated rooms (I stay here 20-30 nights a year for work). I checked a couple of times throughout my stay and they couldn't move me at all.

On another note, the Regency Club staff is phenomenal, very friendly. I had some serious issues with the valet team in January, they forgot to get my car twice when I called down and somehow forgot when my wife went up to the valet stand and asked for the car. This time was much better though, so definitely an improvement there.

The standard internet is still ridiculously slow, and I could not get the premium service option to load on the screen so I hung out in the Regency Club with the faster internet. The rooms are not hard wired if you have a computer/government computer without Wi-Fi. I went and asked about a room that was hard wired and they didn't have any available, they said to use the business center, which also didn't have any hard wired spots that I could find. Just something to note since the website states the rooms have wired internet access.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 12:36 pm

Programs: DL DM
I'll 2nd that the club staff went above and beyond, especially the folks in during the evening cocktail hour. Free drinks for diamond members made the trip to Hawaii much cheaper!

They sent up some champagne and strawberries as we were staying for our anniversary, which was a nice touch, as well as upgraded to a nice ocean view room. No suites were available as the hotel was sold out.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 1:20 pm

Diamond members get discounted drinks, which are pretty much near free, at least that's the way it was in March. They may have changed it since then.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 1:40 pm

Programs: SPG, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG, Hilton, AS, AA, JL, HA
Diamond members get discounted drinks, which are pretty much near free, at least that's the way it was in March. They may have changed it since then.
The club drinks are now free for Diamonds. Please, you free-loading, one-stay challenge types don't go abuse it and ruin it!

I was also there the last week of July using a DSU. They gave us one of the "penthouse" suites, 4015 (named Waikiki suite), and told us they are in the midst of the rennos and some of the junior suites are out of commission. Hannah was a gem; I would say she has filled James' rather considerable shoes nicely. Mark, Carey, Reid and the rest of the club staff were their usual charming selves. My wife also utilized the discounted rate they give to Diamonds for a 50 minute massage at the Na Ho'ola spa, I think it was $99? Still not the cheapest around, but considering all they were doing for us we felt slightly indebted. She said it was actually one of the best massages she has had, and trust me that means something.

I continue to love the staff and treatment at Waikiki.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 1:44 pm

Glad they still have the $99 spa special. We used it quite a bit. Like every other day

And I imagine that since the credit card free night people have taken to this hotel as much as the others in Hawaii, and are taking all their meals in the clubs, I suspect this drink benefit is going to go away shortly as it will too be abused
Old Aug 14, 2014, 1:53 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium
The free drinks were a welcome change. Most (maybe all?) of the properties I have been to in Asia provide free alcoholic drinks, so I'm not sure why it is such an anomaly among the US based properties. Hawaii makes sense to offer the free drinks based on the clientele though. Mark and Cary are awesome in the lounge, and I found Jenny at the front desk to be extremely helpful as well.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 2:03 pm

Programs: SPG, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG, Hilton, AS, AA, JL, HA
Also, reportedly James is no longer with Hyatt. Apparently his transfer to SF didn't go so well and his talents were not being utilized; he was working overnight shift or something. What a loss for Hyatt, and for us.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 2:24 pm

Too bad about James. He really was a nice guy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.