Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Waikiki Beach Resort and Spa REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency Waikiki Beach Resort and Spa REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2015, 8:26 am

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by RTWSTARALLIANCE
I was told the change out cost for each sliding door is $30k per. The decision was made to delay that in the current renovation.
I find that a little high, but the unions in Hawaii are strong and very very high rates
Old Mar 13, 2015, 8:17 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Seeking Advice.

My understanding is that there are two "Ocean Front" rooms per floor on the side of the octagon parallel to the beach. Is this correct? The reason I ask is that I have 5 booked and want everybody as close together as possible.

Are the beds in the "Ocean Front Doubles" large enough for two? Are they actually doubles or queens? Are there "Ocean Front" rooms with queens that can be requested?

Are the best rooms/views on the highest floors? Do Diamonds generally get assigned to high floors?

Is the EL breakfast good, or do the regulars here recommend having breakfast elsewhere?

Thanks so much.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 9:15 am

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
I actually prefer the Diamond Head Tower side view rooms which get Diamond Head to left and ocean to right. Full on is ok but it is exactly that.

As for breakfast it is more than sufficient but after two days lacks any type of variety. But breakfast options meaning local style breakfast options are not available in the immediate area. You have to get in a car for that.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 5:42 pm

Programs: United 1K 1MM; Alaska MVP100K; WOH Globalist; Bonvoy LT Platinum; HH Gold
Originally Posted by zombietooth
My understanding is that there are two "Ocean Front" rooms per floor on the side of the octagon parallel to the beach. Is this correct? The reason I ask is that I have 5 booked and want everybody as close together as possible.

Are the beds in the "Ocean Front Doubles" large enough for two? Are they actually doubles or queens? Are there "Ocean Front" rooms with queens that can be requested?

Are the best rooms/views on the highest floors? Do Diamonds generally get assigned to high floors?

Is the EL breakfast good, or do the regulars here recommend having breakfast elsewhere?

Thanks so much.
In the Ewa Tower, the ocean front rooms end in 09 and 10. The doubles were big enough for us so I would say they are queen size.

In our experience (as Diamonds), we've always gotten a room above the 20th floor.

We like the breakfast offering in the Regency Club but we aren't big on breakfast.
Old Mar 14, 2015, 7:28 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by RTWSTARALLIANCE
I actually prefer the Diamond Head Tower side view rooms which get Diamond Head to left and ocean to right. Full on is ok but it is exactly that.

As for breakfast it is more than sufficient but after two days lacks any type of variety. But breakfast options meaning local style breakfast options are not available in the immediate area. You have to get in a car for that.
Originally Posted by thekaica
In the Ewa Tower, the ocean front rooms end in 09 and 10. The doubles were big enough for us so I would say they are queen size.

In our experience (as Diamonds), we've always gotten a room above the 20th floor.

We like the breakfast offering in the Regency Club but we aren't big on breakfast.
^Thank you so much for the help.
Old Mar 14, 2015, 10:15 am

Programs: DL DM, AS MVPG, AA PP, UA 1K, Bonvoy Plat, Hyatt Globalist, HH Gold, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Natl EE
Room completion is set for April 2015 so are all the upper floors done on both towers? Are all suites done now too?

Thinking of burning a DSU for an upcoming stay and don't want an 80s throwback.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Just back from a 2 week stay and will write a more detailed review later.

However, the lower floors in the Diamond Head tower are now being done and as noted above, will be complete by April.

The large suites ARE NOT being redone. They were done recently, and don't even look like they need a re-do. The parlor suites are being redone.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Mary2e
The large suites ARE NOT being redone. They were done recently, and don't even look like they need a re-do.
What large suites? Even though I loved the Ulukou Room (Penthouse Suite) I stayed in last summer, I still found the design to be quite dated.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 4:49 pm

I believe they're still renovating the large suites as well. I was given an Ambassador Suite (Diamond Head Tower, 40th floor) a few weeks back, and it actually had not been updated yet. Dated, but very spacious and comfortable.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by hailstorm
What large suites? Even though I loved the Ulukou Room (Penthouse Suite) I stayed in last summer, I still found the design to be quite dated.
Originally Posted by jxwo
I believe they're still renovating the large suites as well. I was given an Ambassador Suite (Diamond Head Tower, 40th floor) a few weeks back, and it actually had not been updated yet. Dated, but very spacious and comfortable.
I was in one of the 2 Ambassador suites on the 40th floor last and found the decor pretty much similar to the large 1 bedroom suites. Perhaps the hardwood floors were not to your liking?

This trip I was in the Uluniu suite on the 39th floor, which is pretty much identical to the old regency club room suite next door - and we know that room was done in the last 4 years. I was also briefly in the same suite in the Ewa Tower, and again, the decor was identical. That tower is done.

I was specifically told they were not redoing the suites. I asked.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 12:57 am

I was in one of the 2 Ambassador suites on the 40th floor last and found the decor pretty much similar to the large 1 bedroom suites. Perhaps the hardwood floors were not to your liking?
Everything was to my liking, no complaints!

I just mean that the pictures of the Penthouse / Ambassador / Presidential suites on the website show that most of the large suites have been renovated (to the contemporary look, similar to the new rooms with the padded headboards), while the Ambassador Suite that I was in was not renovated (like the old rooms with the wooden bed posts). Odd that they would renovate one Ambassador Suite (as on the website) and not the other.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 6:22 am

They were renovated... several years ago

I looked at the pictures online, and yes, the bedrooms in the larger suites do have the padded headboards, but the pictures of the living areas of them are exactly as they are right now, and were at least 3 years ago.

I was in only 1 of the Ambassadors last year, and the picture on the website looks exactly like the one I was in, except for the lack of hardwood floor.

I have found there are slight differences in the suites between the 2 towers. Perhaps the pictures are of suites in the Ewa Tower.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 6:30 am

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
On the suites it's the bathrooms that give it away for non renovated. The old style huge tubs are so dated. Bathrooms have not seen a renovation in decade plus. The Toto washlets alone do not make a renovation.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 6:32 am

The old regency club room has a brand new bathroom, and yes, with a large soaking tub.

I think we're talking about remodeling, which is what they're doing to the rooms now, versus a room refresh, which was done about 6 or 7 years ago and did not involve major construction.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 6:51 am

$ They have to be concerned about the drop in Japanese tourists. At times during our last stay the Japanese population in the Lounge was less than 20% and that included my wife. The ex RC space would have a new bathroom as that was a recent build afaik. Let's hope for the best on the continued remodel.

The old regency club room has a brand new bathroom, and yes, with a large soaking tub.

I think we're talking about remodeling, which is what they're doing to the rooms now, versus a room refresh, which was done about 6 or 7 years ago and did not involve major construction.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.