Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Waikiki Beach Resort and Spa REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency Waikiki Beach Resort and Spa REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2011, 2:17 pm

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
I would say the strike further damaged the Resort with their intended clients. The website never had any mention of the strike on its home page during the seven days. At least the one I was monitoring in the US. I got my information from FT, calling the FD or via e-mail from the Resort only after I reached out. If we (US based) were not informed one has to wonder if anything was relayed to incoming Asian based guests. I heard it was not. And people were pretty worked up from all nations.
Old Sep 19, 2011, 4:13 pm

RTWSTARALLIANCE: Aren't you staying there because of the $139 special rates we all found?

-David
Old Sep 19, 2011, 10:53 pm

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
This time we are not here on one of those rates. A little bit higher. Price is as you imply is ALWAYS a consideration.
Old Sep 20, 2011, 6:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
All of these reports are starting to make me nervous. We were there so soon after the RC moved and the $139 rates (and sell outs) started that we really didn't grasp the situation - plus, the pool was being demolished that week

When we were told that Goldman Sachs bought the property a few years ago we really didn't think much of it. However, it took a few years, but GS appears to be putting their stamp on this hotel, and not in a good way. With them, it's all about making money for their investors.

We went back again and again because we were treated very well, the hotel well located, and RC staff was second to none. I'm sure we'll go back again, but will keep our eyes opened to see if we want to continue returning.
Old Sep 20, 2011, 9:30 am

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by Mary2e
All of these reports are starting to make me nervous. We were there so soon after the RC moved and the $139 rates (and sell outs) started that we really didn't grasp the situation - plus, the pool was being demolished that week

When we were told that Goldman Sachs bought the property a few years ago we really didn't think much of it. However, it took a few years, but GS appears to be putting their stamp on this hotel, and not in a good way. With them, it's all about making money for their investors.

We went back again and again because we were treated very well, the hotel well located, and RC staff was second to none. I'm sure we'll go back again, but will keep our eyes opened to see if we want to continue returning.
You hit the "nail on the head", GS. They actually have the entire 39th floor on reserve as well. When they bought the property you noticed the first axe was the limo service! Inside the rooms are tired very tired. Consistency is great but sometime you have to put some money back in and not just smaller pools.

The new manager and owners are clearly gearing the hotel to the Asian travelers, interesting because the previous owner was from Japan and kept this property in world class condition, but neutral.

And like you I will return and with "one eye open" !
Old Sep 20, 2011, 9:39 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy
Original Poster

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by edgewood49
the previous owner . . . kept this property in world class condition
When was this?

And what distinguished it as 'world class.'
Old Sep 20, 2011, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by Mary2e

I'm staying there on Friday night, so I'm hoping that things have calmed down and it will be as nice as my last stay, which was December 2010..

You hit the "nail on the head", GS. They actually have the entire 39th floor on reserve as well. When they bought the property you noticed the first axe was the limo service! Inside the rooms are tired very tired. Consistency is great but sometime you have to put some money back in and not just smaller pools.

The new manager and owners are clearly gearing the hotel to the Asian travelers, interesting because the previous owner was from Japan and kept this property in world class condition, but neutral.

And like you I will return and with "one eye open" !
Very tired? On our last stay, both rooms were in great condition. How are they tired?
Old Sep 20, 2011, 11:22 am

I respect everyone here on FT but the Hyatt was never ever world class. The Halekulani is and previous Kahala was world class. I used to stay at those places and spend lots of money before points became a obsession (yes, and it is for you fellow FTers also) for me.

How much did the GS partnership/fund pay for the Hyatt? Any links to the story? Just curious. Thanks.
Old Sep 20, 2011, 11:26 am

You will enjoy your stay. All of the things I have written have been in place/issue for sometime with most have been written about before. I just framed it up again for everyone. Gotta be concerned when no one rides to the rescue of this place. In terms of the rooms they are as when you last visited December 2010. That being said you can not expect much as your arrival falls within the 11 days of sell-out I noted earlier on our arrival. Enjoy!

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
I'm staying there on Friday night, so I'm hoping that things have calmed down and it will be as nice as my last stay, which was December 2010..

Very tired? On our last stay, both rooms were in great condition. How are they tired?
Old Sep 20, 2011, 12:02 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum
I was personally happy with the rooms I received on my two previous stays - 3661 and 3663 and didn't find them tired. Yes, the bathroom is small but the shower works and I've had no problems with the water temperature or sewage smell.

Also, the heated/ Toto toilet was very welcomed and I missed it at the GH Kauai.

I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again.
Old Sep 20, 2011, 1:30 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies

I suppose I took too much liberty in calling the hotel "world class" but those have been long time guest remember it and the services as much above most of the other hotels in Oahu.

As for tired, when is the last time the rooms were updated? Last thing they did inside were the new carpets in the hallways and doing the elevator lobbies.
Aside from that the rooms are exactly as they have been for a very long time.
Maybe I am more critical than some others but if I am paying top dollar for a hotel I expect more than 10 year old rooms, Sorry.
Old Sep 20, 2011, 2:12 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy
Original Poster

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Maybe I am more critical than some others but if I am paying top dollar for a hotel I expect more than 10 year old rooms
I think you're touching on the issue with this hotel in recent years, though. I've been staying here at least a couple times a year for the past four or five years. I've never paid top dollar. In fact, the only reason I continue to stay here is the value for the price.

I consider it consistently a 3-Star hotel, that can climb into the 4-star range in some areas, on some occasions.

At the $150-$250/night price I've consistently booked over these years, as a Diamond member, with RC upgrades and the ability to double my space with a Diamond upgrade -- it's really hard to beat. The value equation is there.

I keep saying I'd prefer to stay at the Moana Surfrider. I think it's better in most respects that are important to me (the RC itself is of nominal value to me personally) and I am SPG Platinum so would end up in a nice room or suite there. But the HR keeps the price down and, for me, it doesn't make sense to move across the street and pay what is typically at least $100 more per night for a consistently 4-star property.

I think the Hyatt is acknowledging what it is and trying to make as much money as possible being that. A good portion of the rooms are tired, but they're fine -- actually a good value at the price point.
Old Sep 20, 2011, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Maybe I am more critical than some others but if I am paying top dollar for a hotel I expect more than 10 year old rooms, Sorry.
Those rooms aren't 10 years old. They have been remodeled, with all new furniture, probably in the last 5 or so years. I remember when they did it. The hallway carpets (which are ugly) are only 2 years old.

This hotel gets a huge transient clientele with the rooms turning over every couple of days. I don't think there are too many people who stay about a week or so. The rooms start looking old pretty quickly.
Old Sep 20, 2011, 3:09 pm

Programs: It's Complicated...
I do not find the rooms tired at all. I have two rooms and both are fine, well kept and I do not find the hallway carpets that ugly . I think they operate pretty well in their price range. I stayed recently at the Sheraton Waikiki and I was surprised at how tired our room was at that property. I think the rooms are holding up fine at the Hyatt and find them comfortable. Combine the services offered, service of staff and the locaton it is a solid four star property.

I actually think the new layout on the third floor will be quite nice when complete and make much more sense and be easier for guests. I think having the restaurants all along the same area will make it more convenient for the guests and for staff as well as everyone will basically be in one area. The pool layout is consistent with what I am seeing at other restort properties in Florida and Vegas with things being more centered around a pool area and the blending of the food and beverage areas into a more hip pool and dining environment. I think the glass railings were long overdue and once they get the jacuzzi area done it will be very nice and provide a great view. I also like the new lounge chairs...very comfortable. I look forward to trying out Japengo after it is completed. I have dined at Ciao Mein a couple of hundred times but after 10+ years the menu got a little old so it was time to change it up. I did not hit the Colony so much but the same is probably true for it as well. Shor looks nice enough but havent tried it yet but the menu looks solid and we will probably try it once before we leave.

I think the RC is nice but I have nothing to compare it to at this property as I never really had status with Hyatt and never felt compelled to pay before. It is not the best club I have ever been in but good by US standards. I like having a glass of wine outside just which the railing had a better view but still nice enough.

I will try to add some photos to this post when I am more motivated later.

Editing to add: When I was at the pool today I saw some staff in the old Ciao Mein bar area that I knew and in talking to them that will actually be the new pool bar. It opens tomorrow (9/21) and they were in there getting familiar with the setup. I thought all of the old Ciao Mein area was goig to be Japengo but apparently just the back dining room area.

Edited 10/1 to add photos promised of the Regency Club and pool area.

Last edited by mcgahat; Oct 1, 2011 at 12:07 am
Old Sep 20, 2011, 7:55 pm

Shor is a miserable experience. On the way to the RC lounge this morning we noticed a fairly short line (10 parties/couples) and decided to give it a shot. We were given a table for two behind the omlette station. In this one little section the hotel has managed to cram eight tables. There was no ventilation and you can constantly hear the ladies asking for orders. The place was packed in. After one helping we retreated to the RC to regain our senses. At least it was cooler in the RC.

As for the GM want to give him a chance. I've heard the staff likes him and that counts in my book. I hope after the restaurants are open and the pool area completed they can work on some other issues to enhance the property. If I were the GM would not count three stars as acceptable.

We are back later next month and will be doing the SPG properties on FRNs. I next planned return to the Hyatt will be in early 2012. Already on the books. Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.