Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Waikiki Beach Resort and Spa REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency Waikiki Beach Resort and Spa REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2016, 8:43 pm

Programs: Qantas Platinum, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Checked in today for a 9 night stay.
Got a Waikiki view and on 12th floor
Old Jun 7, 2016, 9:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by frogss29
At least they didn't walk you to the Holiday Inn (although that might have ultimately been for the better...)
Old Jun 7, 2016, 10:54 pm

Programs: Jose Cuervo Gold, Bud Light Platinum, Schwab 401K, VW Bug 2MM
Originally Posted by travelexpert
Have booked five nights at standard rate (approx $300/nt) for 5 nights in late August this year, with DSU.

Given all that I read regarding construction and general management shenanigans--should I cancel and go somewhere else?
The parlor suite upgrade is pretty useless, unless you plan on having guests. Four, nay six adults an stay in a parlor suite + room comfortably since you'll have a king + 2 queens. Honestly it was a waste of a DSU for me, since we just used the other room for the extra bathroom, but if you have guests its a pretty cheap way to house 4 (or more). And the beach view from the top floors is unbeatable.
Old Jun 8, 2016, 5:31 am

Originally Posted by frogss29
Since you're there for a long stay it might be worth checking the "walk up" rates at some of the surrounding hotels you think you might like. Then switch hotels if the price is right and there is little or no penalty for doing so.
Old Jun 8, 2016, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
I just returned from a 12 night stay. Was in a Penthouse suite on C&P + DSU + $$$ in the Diamond Head tower - the old Regency club room, which is our favorite. I'll give some updated info.

They told me about the Korean buyout plans when I first arrived. I was thrilled to hear it. Since this company has been buying upmarket hotels, we can only hope they bring it back to it's former self.

As for the construction and the no-balcony rooms - they are the 51 & 52 rooms (mountain view) on floors 5-21 in the diamond head tower. There is no construction noise that I heard and they're nearly finished.

The escalators were down for a short period of time. They made some electrical changes and redid the ceiling, which had been exposed. The escalators were down until the Friday of Memorial Day weekend. It wasn't a big deal for us.

The ceilings on the rest of the lobby level (floor 2) were almost 100% done when we left on Monday. Again, we found this to be a non-issue. How many times do people actually walk past the front desk on 2? I think I walked thru 3 times total. Most of our walking across was on either 3 or the ground level.

As for this coming week - Friday is King Kamehameha Day and there is an Asia Pacific festival next week. The hotel is completely full, and the lack of an upgrade doesn't surprise me.

The wristbands were not an issue for us. We were given the blue ones and never had a problem, though we were told that people were having problems with them Those that did got yellow bands, which are slightly different. From what I was told, the blue bands identify you as a GP member with Regency Club access. The yellow are for GP members without the access. BUT, given they're having problems with the blue bands, it wouldn't surprise me if that will no longer be the case.

The Regency Club and staff were, as usual, phenomenal. We were welcomed with open arms. The offerings are slightly different each evening than they were in the past - some good, some not-so-good, at least to our taste.

I also believed we witnessed the result of the diamond giveaway last year. The club was extremely busy, particularly in the morning. The clientele was different than we had experienced in the past. It was not mostly business travelers on vacation or there on business. These were definitely leisure travelers who were eating their meals in the club. One set stands out in particular - I never saw 2 women eat so much food on multiple occasions. We didn't have any issue getting a table, but the staff was constantly on the move clearing tables and putting out food. I got tired looking at them. The evenings, when we went in, were not nearly as busy.

We had dinner at Japengo and got the 4 course menu which included the Loco Moco.. it was delicious. I think they have a hit on their hands. We also had a very nice meal at the Hula Grill in the Outrigger, and several at Swim. We tried Ono Hawaiian Food on Kapahulu for the first time, and it was also very good. It's a very small place, so get their early. And of course, the Side Street in (the original) was outstanding. We've been going to the new location on Kapahulu, and found the food was "different" and went back to the original location on Hopaka - and that was the Side Street Inn we knew and loved. We mentioned it to the waitstaff that the other one wasn't as good and were told we weren't the first to say that.

Note that I fully know that our experience is not typical. We're regular visitors to the property and know quite a few people. But I did not hear anyone in the club complain either, and we spoke with a few people who were also long-term diamonds.

Ask away if you have any questions!
Old Jun 8, 2016, 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by Mary2e
I also believed we witnessed the result of the diamond giveaway last year.

These were definitely leisure travelers who were eating their meals in the club.
Believe it or not, there are leisure travelers who pay for a Club upgrade rather than seeking free access as a Diamond.
Old Jun 8, 2016, 12:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by JetAway
Believe it or not, there are leisure travelers who pay for a Club upgrade rather than seeking free access as a Diamond.
I believe Mary was commenting primarily on the difference (both numbers and type of guests) in the club pre and post-Diamond giveaway. Many of us have witnessed the same phenomenon at other properties. It was really obvious last time I was at Erawan (where I witnessed not just larger crowds, but also some incredibly piggish behavior.)

It's pretty basic that when Hyatt gives away thousands of free Diamond memberships, it's going to impact the clubs negatively, particularly at leisure destinations.
Old Jun 8, 2016, 2:22 pm

Exactly. Some of those people didn't look like they could afford a room, much less pay extra for the regency club.
Old Jun 8, 2016, 4:43 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Exactly. Some of those people didn't look like they could afford a room, much less pay extra for the regency club.
There are a lot of "packages" from Asia allowing lounge access. These along with the preponderance of families where one person has access and they all come and chow down.

I have commented to Mark once in awhile about this but management seems not to want to offend anyone. On the other hand the RC in Guam which is one of the best and huge does tightly restrict families with kids, and they are kept in line so as not to disturb the other guest.

If one goes to the HHV that lounge is a nightmare and not even worth going. Newspapers are gone within 30 minutes. Since they changed and the "girls" are not serving in the Ali'i Towers we don't really go back. Ali'i has lost it charm.

And when they closed down the Colony at the Hyatt that was another death blow to the hotels along the beach. Maybe I am just getting too damn old !!!!
Old Jun 8, 2016, 4:47 pm

The Asian groups again have their own lounge. The people I'm talking about were not Asian.

I did mention that the hotel needed another restaurant besides Japengo, which is pricey. Swim really doesn't cut it if you want a light/quick dinner. We arrived very tired, but hungry and wanted to have dinner before crashing - the only option was Swim, where the entertainer was about to start. We ended up in the club because neither of us wanted to leave the hotel and the thought of listening to lounge music wasn't appealing. I'm sure we're not the only ones.
Old Jun 8, 2016, 5:00 pm

Seems like a rather harsh assessment of the guests without knowing anything about them. The HRW isn't a luxury property by any means nor is the Regency Club a real "club."
Old Jun 8, 2016, 5:02 pm

I was just stating my observation, as noted by many others since the giveaway. Yours may be different.
Old Jun 8, 2016, 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by iherebyresign
Help me out here. What is the significance of the wrist bands and the color?
I've got your answer..

Wrist bands are only given to GP members.

Blue indicates Regency Club access
Yellow indicates GP member without access.

BUT, I think that's going to change since people are having problems with the blue bands.

The upside is that we got dining discounts at the hotel because the waitstaff saw the bracelet
Old Jun 8, 2016, 6:13 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K / AA EXP / VX Gold / WOH Globalist / SPG Gold / HHonors Gold
I'm wondering if you were referring to us last Saturday night... LOL! I didn't exactly dress up while I was there, so I might have been the one you are speaking of (I hope not though).

I didn't status match for my Diamond status, for the record.

The Asian groups again have their own lounge. The people I'm talking about were not Asian.
Hmmm... One of us is noticeably Asian. Perhaps I'm off the hook here.

And yes, it seems that the Japanese JTB/Olioli tour groups have Japengo reserved as an exclusive lounge for the Japanese visitors in the morning hours. My GF asked where would I prefer to relax in - Japengo's front area or the RC?

I did mention that the hotel needed another restaurant besides Japengo, which is pricey.
I agree with you 100%. We have found the food and service at Japengo disappointing both times that we've eaten there. There is a new Executive Chef at Japengo so we are curious to see if the food quality warrants the prices now, but we're afraid that the slow and mistake-laden wait-staff have not been replaced.

The Chinese restaurant downstairs on the Ground Floor, Seafood Village, is also disappointing for the prices they charge.

The GF and I have always been happy with the Boardwalk/Veranda restaurant diagonally across from the HR at the Moana Westin/Sheraton.

Cheers!
Old Jun 8, 2016, 6:50 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
I was just stating my observation, as noted by many others since the giveaway. Yours may be different.
I have witnessed the something Mary, many times. Japengo is other than the sushi not really good. They got there via the Hyatt in La Jolla which has one across the walk. not over popular there as well.

Would love to see the Colony space redone, it's just sitting there. Hot summer evenings, ice cold martini and a steak !!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.