Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Waikiki Beach Resort and Spa REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency Waikiki Beach Resort and Spa REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2016, 8:21 pm
Original Member

Programs: Hyatt Courtesy card. Delta 2MM Diamond. AA platinum pro
Originally Posted by iherebyresign
Help me out here. What is the significance of the wrist bands and the color?
No idea about the color but the wristband serves as the room key. It may be offered- certainly not required.
Old May 30, 2016, 12:17 am

Programs: AA Plt 3MM; UA 1K 2 MM; MR Lifetime Plat; HH Lifetime Diamond; HH Diamond; IGH Spire Ambas; SPG Gold
Have booked five nights at standard rate (approx $300/nt) for 5 nights in late August this year, with DSU.

Given all that I read regarding construction and general management shenanigans--should I cancel and go somewhere else?
Old May 30, 2016, 5:36 am

Originally Posted by travelexpert
Have booked five nights at standard rate (approx $300/nt) for 5 nights in late August this year, with DSU.

Given all that I read regarding construction and general management shenanigans--should I cancel and go somewhere else?
I don't know what your requirements or limits are but I would certainly shop around before spending that amount plus a DSU on this hotel. I think you can do a lot better in Waikiki with a little research.
Old May 30, 2016, 6:18 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist

To me, the 9 nights I spent recently were perfectly acceptable. The ongoing renovations were hardly a bother, except for having to walk a few extra feet to go up the stairs instead of an escalator. Don't know if you will find anything much better for $300/ night in Waikiki, but it may be possible.
Old May 30, 2016, 9:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)

You're not going to do better than a suite for $300/night anywhere else.

I prefer the HHV as it's a true resort with beach access. But no guaranteed suite, and no lounge (and the lounge at HR is pretty nice).

For $300/night you can probably rent a really nice condo in Waikiki on VRBO/airbnb. Although I personally would not spend five nights in Waikiki. Two or three is kind of my max.
Old May 30, 2016, 12:21 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by Kacee

I prefer the HHV as it's a true resort with beach access. But no guaranteed suite, and no lounge (and the lounge at HR is pretty nice).

For $300/night you can probably rent a really nice condo in Waikiki on VRBO/airbnb. Although I personally would not spend five nights in Waikiki. Two or three is kind of my max.
I agree with HHV as a true resort and if they are Hilton Diamond in August they might just get what they want, calling the Diamond Desk for assistance. I have been staying at the Hyatt for 25 years and if there is that much going on I would far rather stay somewhere else, Marriott Weston even the Sheraton. Why put up with the turmoil?
Old May 31, 2016, 11:13 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Kacee

I'm not sure about that. I had a chance at getting a suite ocean front at the Outrigger for less than what I paid at the Hyatt. After my last stay, I've had my last Hyatt Waikiki stay. I'll chose elsewhere for my 2-4 day trips that I do every few months.

It won't be long until they downgrade the Regency Club, I can see it happening soon. I've posted my displeasure about the upgrade games they played with me with Hyatt Corporate but they just ignored it and gave me an excuse on why it's ok.
Old May 31, 2016, 11:31 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
It was my first time there and I got a very nice upgrade along with a few boxes of very nice chocolates (I chose and received the 1,000 points as my diamond amenity). So I guess I didn't witness any upgrade games apart from when they initially told me my no balcony room was not eligible for an upgrade.
Old May 31, 2016, 12:04 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by ceebee100
It was my first time there and I got a very nice upgrade along with a few boxes of very nice chocolates (I chose and received the 1,000 points as my diamond amenity). So I guess I didn't witness any upgrade games apart from when they initially told me my no balcony room was not eligible for an upgrade.
The DSU on the no balcony room rate is against Hyatt policy. They quickly took it off the website once they got complaints, but would not honor the upgrade. I then bought up to a different room rate, and then THEY applied an upgrade, even though I didn't want one at that point, I only wanted the upgrade to confirm a better room with the No balcony rate. Try canceling the upgrade after I bought up to a different rate, and that became another ordeal, and I just ended up giving up.

Also, the construction for someone young and no physical issues is not a problem, but they should list this on the website. Why is there no mention of lobby area construction and limited access to an escalator, and Elevators that were down for construction. This should be posted.
Old May 31, 2016, 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by LASUA1K
The DSU on the no balcony room rate is against Hyatt policy. They quickly took it off the website once they got complaints, but would not honor the upgrade. I then bought up to a different room rate, and then THEY applied an upgrade, even though I didn't want one at that point, I only wanted the upgrade to confirm a better room with the No balcony rate. Try canceling the upgrade after I bought up to a different rate, and that became another ordeal, and I just ended up giving up.

Also, the construction for someone young and no physical issues is not a problem, but they should list this on the website. Why is there no mention of lobby area construction and limited access to an escalator, and Elevators that were down for construction. This should be posted.
complete mismanagement if I was one of you I would be complaining loud and hard to Chicago. Just saying. I did about Maui Andaz and it got results
Old May 31, 2016, 2:26 pm

I wouldn't pay $300/night to be here. Once you add resort fee (no longer waived for Diamonds) and the parking you're looking at $350 a night, at least.

On another note, their catering/restaurant REALLY didn't think the name of their breakfast juice through all the way. They named it "Morning Glory." REALLY?!
Old May 31, 2016, 9:54 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy
Original Poster

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Frindle
On another note, their catering/restaurant REALLY didn't think the name of their breakfast juice through all the way. They named it "Morning Glory." REALLY?!
Well before the pop culture sexual reference there were those flowers of the same name.

It's fairly likely that's what the vast majority Japanese clientele at this property will associate the name with.
Old Jun 1, 2016, 6:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World
Well before the pop culture sexual reference there were those flowers of the same name.

It's fairly likely that's what the vast majority Japanese clientele at this property will associate the name with.
Maybe they can also cater to the Japanese with some manji decorations.

Old Jun 1, 2016, 7:57 am

Originally Posted by hailstorm
Maybe they can also cater to the Japanese with some manji decorations.

May I respectfully ask the meaning of that particular picture ?
Old Jun 1, 2016, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by edgewood49
May I respectfully ask the meaning of that particular picture ?
http://www.japantimes.co.jp/communit...D-japans-maps/

Poing being: just because something has an innocent meaning in one context doesn't mean that you can ignore the non-innocent meaning of another.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.