Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Napa Valley REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Andaz Napa Valley REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2013, 11:23 am

Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."
Originally Posted by Vinodavid
This is the suite that I usually get. Worth a call to the property to ask.

This is the slowest time of the year in wine country so your odds are good as long as it isn't on a weekend where there is a special event.

Odd liquor selection. Nothing you have ever heard of, I mean nothing.

No matter what you do you have to get the english muffin with your breakfast.
I got upgraded to the loft w/ a fireplace [ended up staying in one that didnt, because I was just on biz travel] w/o using a certificate a couple days ago, so I think you might be able to get lucky and get a better room. This is a pretty down season there... about 10 people in the bar and that in the morning breakfast. I would imagine you can get there.

In terms of breakfast, I'd opt for the hash... was up there with hash hash agogo in terms of my favorite.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 3:24 am

Programs: SPG PLT, AA ExPlt
Does anyone know how this location compares with the Westin Verasa? Trying to compare the two as they have sim rates for our stay.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 9:02 am

Programs: MARRIOTT LIFETIME TITANIUM ELITE, HYATT LIFETIME GLOBALIST, UAL SILVER, AA EXECUTIVE PLATINUM
Originally Posted by milkchug
Does anyone know how this location compares with the Westin Verasa? Trying to compare the two as they have sim rates for our stay.
They are not that far from each other, a mile or so.

The andaz is downtown with better walking access to restaurants.

The westin is off soscol. A bit out of the way but still a fairly easy walk to downtown and very close to oxbow.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 9:23 pm

Programs: UA MM/1K, SPG Lifetime Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, HH Gold, Natl Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Vinodavid
They are not that far from each other, a mile or so.

The andaz is downtown with better walking access to restaurants.

The westin is off soscol. A bit out of the way but still a fairly easy walk to downtown and very close to oxbow.
Sorry to go a bit off topic but if you pick the Westin, La Toque's dinner w/wine pairing is a treat not to be missed. Expensive, but not a bit like any (US) hotel restaurant I've ever been in. Really a first class dining and wining experience.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 9:58 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Platinum
both great hotels and close to each other. u can't go wrong with either choice because they are both near the wineries. i prefer the westin because it has la toque and real close to the oxbow market. La toque has a killer truffle menu. Oxbow market has cheap good eats including hog island oysters, kara's cupcake, a good mexican place, and good pizza place.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 6:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Tha Andaz really is downtown. There are some popular restaurants in the mall across the street and to the left at the end of the bloks as you walk toward a little park. The Westin Verasa overlooks the river/creek and is next to the OxBow market. (I like the place in there that sells (hot cooked) half ducks.)

Amusingly, one of the SPG Plat benefits at the Verasa is a free wine tasting in a tasting room located in the Andaz, just to the right of the front door (on the other side of the wall behind the bar) as you enter. The Westin's local shuttle service will give you a ride.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 8:16 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
There are some popular restaurants in the mall across the street and to the left at the end of the bloks as you walk toward a little park.
Take a look at Bistro Sabor on First Street outside the shopping mall. At first glance you might think it's a cafeteria, but their menu makes up for any shortcoming in interior appearance. I was there for lunch two weeks ago with a friend and we both loved our meals. I had a Cubana sandwich and she had salmon tacos. They were doing very good business at lunch time.
Getting great reviews on Yelp, too.
http://www.yelp.com/biz/bistro-sabor-napa
http://bistrosabor.com/menu/
Old Jan 20, 2013, 10:49 pm

Programs: SPG PLT, AA ExPlt
Thanks for all the help. Sounds like the Verasa is a somewhat clear winner to me!
Old Jan 22, 2013, 9:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Thanks for all the help. Sounds like the Verasa is a somewhat clear winner to me!
Check the master review thread in the SPG forum. It's had some mixed reviews, including complaints about Plat recognition and the resort fee, IIRC $20 but reduced to $10 for Plats. This includes parking, internet, and not much else.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 10:43 am
Community Director Emerita

We spent one night at this property. Our room was exactly as shown in m4rcla's excellent photo report.

We pulled up in front of the hotel mid afternoon. We were immediately greeted by an employee who offered help with our bags and explained parking. We could valet park at $15/day or we could self park behind the hotel on the third floor of a parking garage. We chose self parking. We were allowed to leave the car in front while we checked in. We walked inside to a very comfortable lobby/bar area. We were immediately offered a complimentary glass of wine or specialty coffee or cold beverage.

I really liked the vibe of the public area. If you are traveling with friends, it is a great place to hang out. The bar to the right is used in the morning for coffee drinks and pastries. By late afternoon, a lot of folks are seated there, enjoying talk of the day. There is free wine from 5 to 7. There's also free chair massage at this time. (Do tip.) There are a range of seating areas both here and in the hall way leading back to the restaurant area. This area can also be used during the day for visiting. On the second floor, there is a hall that leads to an outdoor seating area. There are two large fire pits turned on in the evening. The outer perimeter is lined with cabanas (though there is no pool). There is lots of inviting seating.

We were upgraded to a loft room. I have no idea why it is called a loft, as it is a single floor room. There is a sitting area with a partial wall between it and the bedroom. The fireplace is thru and can be viewed from either space. The bathroom has a massive walk in shower. The tub is between the room and the bathroom. My major quarrel with the room is the lack of comfortable seating. This is a pet peeve of mine, and something I often find hotel rooms lack. There was a sofa that sloped to the center and no other chair. The desk by the bed had a small chair which was fine when using the computer but not suitable for relaxing. The hotel has 5 suites. We did not see any of them.

I stayed at the Westin Verasa on night 1 and the Napa Hyatt on night 2. Here are some comments contrasting and comparing the two:
  • I am top tier in both Starwood and Hyatt
  • I paid near identical rates at the two hotels.

Advantage Hyatt
  • Free self parking
  • More intimate property
  • Social public area
  • In the center of downtown so walking distance to many great restaurants and shops

Advantage Westin
The room. Mind you, we were upgraded to a one bedroom suite. We were there off season on a week night. I've no idea how often plats get this upgrade. But when you do, it is very very nice. This is a time share property, so the suite has a full kitchen, bar stools along the counter, a dining room table with seating for six, and a very comfortable seating area in the living room.

It's good to have choices.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 8:28 pm

Programs: AS; Hyatt; Bonvoy
Originally Posted by brekkesdsu
Anybody stay here recently? I am using a suite upgrade certificate but that only gets an "Andaz Loft". What do you think the chances are I could get one of the larger rooms with the soaking tub if asking nicely?
A bit late to the party, but the same upgrade issue came up for me recently when I booked this hotel for later this spring. My upgrade certificate is specifically for a "one bedroom suite" but the Andaz Loft is essentially a studio suite without a separate bedroom.

When I called back and questioned the Hyatt staff about this I was told that there are only a couple of true suites on the property. They reportedly are considered "comparable to Presidential Suites" and are not used for upgrades. Is this true?

My question is whether or not it's worth it to use a suite upgrade certificate for this property or to hold on to it for use later in the year. If anyone has an opinion, please share.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 8:34 pm
Community Director Emerita

There is no way I would use a suite upgrade cert to get an Andaz Loft. First, the property will try to give you that room as a diamond upgrade. I got the next step up last week, the one with a fireplace. Second, even then, it's not a spacious junior suite. That suite upgrade is better used at another property.
Old Mar 31, 2013, 10:57 pm

No status member try to upgrade using 3000 points

I just wonder if I pay the published rate of $249 booked in Hyatt web site, and then use 3000 points to upgrade. What kind of upgrade would I get for 3k points without any status? Thanks.
Old Apr 1, 2013, 9:14 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by sxchan
I just wonder if I pay the published rate of $249 booked in Hyatt web site, and then use 3000 points to upgrade. What kind of upgrade would I get for 3k points without any status? Thanks.
Since you don't have status and I'm assuming that the $249 is the "Hyatt Daily Rate" which is the rate required to be paid before any point upgrade is applied, the 3k points upgrade is not applicable because the property does not have a club lounge. The only upgrade applicable in this case would be the 6k points (for a max of 4 nights) for a suite upgrade. I'm not sure what category suite it would be at this property (it's usually the entry level suite).
Old Apr 3, 2013, 1:26 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Hyatt Hotels, the owner of downtown Napa’s Andaz hotel, has listed the 141-room hotel for sale, reported industry newsletter Real Estate Alert.

The trade publication estimated that the boutique hotel, located at 1450 First St., could sell for as much as $75 million. Also listed for sale is the Andaz hotel in Savannah, Ga., said the newsletter.

Even after a new owner is found, Hyatt would continue to manage the hotel as it does now, the report stated.
http://napavalleyregister.com/news/l...9bb2963f4.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.