Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt FAQs & Tutorial on Getting Hyatt Points - PLEASE READ

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt FAQs & Tutorial on Getting Hyatt Points - PLEASE READ

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2014, 8:22 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by nikad
New to Hyatt. Transferred points from UR to redeem for 3 nights, as I was short of 2000 goldpoints, I purchased them, and nowhere on the site it says that it takes them 7-10 days to be available! What am I supposed to do now? Anybody ever heard of this? Any advice or tips, welcome! Thanks
When you buy points directly from Hyatt (using their intermediary points.com), the time to receive points is pretty clear. Not sure where you heard 7-10 days.

https://buy.points.com/PointsPartner...nexfercopylink

Price includes all applicable fees. GST/HST will be charged to Canadian residents. This transaction is completed by Points.com. Purchased points are not refundable and transactions are non-reversible. Purchased points are applicable toward all Hyatt Gold Passport awards. Points purchased using this option will post within 48 hours. Purchased points do not count toward Hyatt Gold Passport elite membership tiers. All Hyatt Gold Passport Terms and Conditions apply.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by baliktad
When you buy points directly from Hyatt (using their intermediary points.com), the time to receive points is pretty clear. Not sure where you heard 7-10 days.

https://buy.points.com/PointsPartner...nexfercopylink
Well, a Hyatt rep replied to my message saying that points bought post within 48hs but are available for use within 7 to 10 days! I find this very strange. My account is new, but I transferred UR points no problem, how come what they sell cannot be used for so long?
Old Mar 24, 2014, 9:49 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by nikad
Well, a Hyatt rep replied to my message saying that points bought post within 48hs but are available for use within 7 to 10 days! I find this very strange. My account is new, but I transferred UR points no problem, how come what they sell cannot be used for so long?
If your account is new, it may be an anti-fraud measure. Criminals who steal credit cards are attracted to quick purchases of transferrable goods - for example, large amounts of points which could be used for accommodation at expensive hotels before the credit card theft is discovered.

You may not be a criminal, but if your purchasing pattern resembles one that is easily or commonly exploited, you may be encountering a restriction to protect against fraudulent purchases.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 5:10 am

Originally Posted by baliktad
If your account is new, it may be an anti-fraud measure. Criminals who steal credit cards are attracted to quick purchases of transferrable goods - for example, large amounts of points which could be used for accommodation at expensive hotels before the credit card theft is discovered.

You may not be a criminal, but if your purchasing pattern resembles one that is easily or commonly exploited, you may be encountering a restriction to protect against fraudulent purchases.
I understand that, but we are talking 2000 points here, less that 50 bucks
Old Mar 26, 2014, 10:18 am

Quick update: Heather from Goldpassport support was my angel rep. She sorted everything out and booked our stay herself with the points I had purchased plus the points I transferred. She needed a few things from me to prove everything was legit, and voila! We are all set to go
Old Apr 18, 2014, 5:58 pm

I'm not sure if this has been addressed in the forum before. I am planning on booking a stay with my chase rewards but do not have enough points yet. Can I book this and put it on my credit card and then transfer it over to my points later when I have enough?

Also, can you use points or cash to upgrade the two free nights you get from the Hyatt Visa card?

Thanks!
Old Apr 18, 2014, 9:21 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport
Original Poster

Originally Posted by amichaud
I'm not sure if this has been addressed in the forum before. I am planning on booking a stay with my chase rewards but do not have enough points yet. Can I book this and put it on my credit card and then transfer it over to my points later when I have enough?

Also, can you use points or cash to upgrade the two free nights you get from the Hyatt Visa card?

Thanks!
No - revenue bookings cannot be converted to awards unless the inventory is available anyways - so there is no advantage to booking a revenue hoping to convert later - it may actually be disadvantageous to do this.

Cash to upgrade your award room may be arranged directly with the property after booking - you can't do with points.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 5:54 am

don't know why we can't cancel reservation online and always have to call? The website gives an option to do it but than says CALL?
Old Apr 19, 2014, 6:00 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

You can... Just not point reservations. Guess Hyatt IT doesn't facilitate the automatic return of points used.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by RTW1
You can... Just not point reservations. Guess Hyatt IT doesn't facilitate the automatic return of points used.
Hyatt.com wouldn't allow online cancellation for points reservation and you can cancel online only if the reservation is made by credit card/cash?
Old May 18, 2014, 8:25 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold Elite, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Best Western Diamond Select
I know Points + Cash qualifies for stay credit, but one thing I'm not clear on... an award stay isn't eligible for stay credit to maintain status, but if I stay two nights and use an award for one--paying for the other night--does that count as an ineligible award stay, or does the paid night make it count as an eligible stay for maintaining status? I totally understand the award night not counting, but I'm not clear on if using an award on a stay automatically makes it an ineligible award stay, regardless of paying for the second night.

(Did that even make sense?)
Old May 18, 2014, 8:42 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Freckles68
I know Points + Cash qualifies for stay credit, but one thing I'm not clear on... an award stay isn't eligible for stay credit to maintain status, but if I stay two nights and use an award for one--paying for the other night--does that count as an ineligible award stay, or does the paid night make it count as an eligible stay for maintaining status? I totally understand the award night not counting, but I'm not clear on if using an award on a stay automatically makes it an ineligible award stay, regardless of paying for the second night.

(Did that even make sense?)
You are over thinking it. Your 1 paid night counts as 1 night credit and 1 stay credit regardless of any free coupon nights.... you pay you get credit.
Old May 18, 2014, 8:47 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold Elite, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Best Western Diamond Select
Originally Posted by PortlySpartacus
You are over thinking it. Your 1 paid night counts as 1 night credit and 1 stay credit regardless of any free coupon nights.... you pay you get credit.
Thank you! That's what I thought would logically be the case. This will be my first time using an award (I'd previously opted for miles over points), and I wasn't sure if the award night made it an "award stay" for eligibility purposes.
Old May 30, 2014, 6:23 pm

Programs: AS 75K, AA EXP, Hilton Gold
Points posting

How long does it take for points to post?
Old Jun 14, 2014, 8:01 pm

Programs: Delta - Gold, Hilton - Diamond, SPG - Gold, Hyatt - Diamond
Need some advice.

My work travel area has changed now and I will finally be able to start focusing on Hyatt as my hotel of choice. I'm not likely to get Diamond this year, but if nothing changes, next year I should be good.

My goal is to ensure that I am Diamond in 08/16, and in enough time to take advantage of the suite upgrades. My wife and I will be taking extended European vacation for our 10th anniversary.

What is the earliest that I could qualify for Diamond, via normal or challenge, to guarantee that I would be Diamond at this time?

Thanks for your help.

Joe

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.