Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt FAQs & Tutorial on Getting Hyatt Points - PLEASE READ

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt FAQs & Tutorial on Getting Hyatt Points - PLEASE READ

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2015, 4:23 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
to add to the above - I would suggest using the certificates for the middle nights, when you are sure that you'll be there, and use points for the 'maybe' nights. As sethb says, it's more straightforward to get the points back when you cancel.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 8:21 am

So my exposure is fairly limited so it's possible I've just been unlucky but it feels like Hyatt is far more restrictive on use of points than either IHG or Starwood (the two programs I use most often). Do they make points rooms available later but block them initially? Do some hotels simply have very few 'basic' rooms? I also note a quite liberal use of the "special event" designation (I was looking for a room over a college football game in October--no restrictions from the other two programs).
Old Jun 24, 2015, 9:32 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Staying at the Dusseldorf next week and then in Rosemont with a one-day gap between the two. The stay at Dusseldorf will put me to Diamond.

IME, US properties seem to post the stay during the day after check-out. Would a similar turnaround hold true for Dusseldorf?

Thanks.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 4:50 pm

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
IMO it's very likely that the stay which puts you at Diamond will NOT post in time for your stay at Rosemont. Looking on the bright side, the treatment for Diamonds at Rosemont is not all that special anyway Still, it would probably be nice to receive your Diamond benefit (especially the breakfast). Perhaps you can bring a recent printout of your account detail (showing that just one more stay is needed) along with the invoice from your recent (and unposted) stay. I do not actually know if this will work. I do remember that it did NOT work for me on the stay (years ago) when I made Diamond the night before, and tried to receive Diamond privileges the next night. In that particular case, the only real benefit was the Diamond breakfast, and my rate plan (AAA) included breakfast, so it was no big deal.

Executive summary: expect that the stay will NOT post in time. If it does post in time, you'll be pleasantly surprise (which is far better than being bitterly disappointed). BTW, please let me be the first person to say "Welcome to the Diamond level".
Originally Posted by seawolf
Staying at the Dusseldorf next week and then in Rosemont with a one-day gap between the two. The stay at Dusseldorf will put me to Diamond.

IME, US properties seem to post the stay during the day after check-out. Would a similar turnaround hold true for Dusseldorf?

Thanks.
Old Jun 25, 2015, 10:48 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Thanks.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 11:40 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by peteropny
All Hyatt stays no matter if it's revenue, award, booked through a third party is eligible for status perks but not points or stay credits if booked with a third party. Usually you can call to add your GP number but if the cant/won't, just present it at checkin.
This is the last post in the thread that I see on the topic of perks for third party stays, so I just wanted to bump this to see if this is still the case. Hilton have recently formally documented in their T&Cs that third party stays do not qualify for elite perks. Previously they were silent on the subject and we never failed to receive them for stays booked with airline miles. (We may still get them, but they have a written policy about it now).

I just wanted to see where Hyatt stood on this now as we're making a foray into Hyatt territory. Is it formally documented (either way) in the T&Cs?

Edit: I now see some more recent confirmation under "amenities," and I was searching "perks." Seems it's still good as of like May.

Cheers.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 11:22 pm

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
A diamond still gets the perks (free breakfast, welcome amenity, club access, etc.) even on third party stays (e.g. booked through hotwire, etc.) However the stay does not qualify for points nor stay credit.

In the special case of Hyatt, if you find a great third-party price, in most cases it's worthwhile to take advantage of their Best Rate Guarantee. Hyatt will match the rate ... then reduce it by another 20%. You end up with a rate 20% lower than the third-party site, plus it earns points and stay credit . There's a whole separate thread on the ins and outs of the Best Rate Guarantee. IME my claim has always been approved, yet I'm sure that sometimes a valid claim is not approved. Still, it's a great program and I think it sets Hyatt apart from the others.
Originally Posted by brp
This is the last post in the thread that I see on the topic of perks for third party stays, so I just wanted to bump this to see if this is still the case. Hilton have recently formally documented in their T&Cs that third party stays do not qualify for elite perks. Previously they were silent on the subject and we never failed to receive them for stays booked with airline miles. (We may still get them, but they have a written policy about it now).

I just wanted to see where Hyatt stood on this now as we're making a foray into Hyatt territory. Is it formally documented (either way) in the T&Cs?

Edit: I now see some more recent confirmation under "amenities," and I was searching "perks." Seems it's still good as of like May.

Cheers.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 11:42 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by CloudCoder
A diamond still gets the perks (free breakfast, welcome amenity, club access, etc.) even on third party stays (e.g. booked through hotwire, etc.) However the stay does not qualify for points nor stay credit.

In the special case of Hyatt, if you find a great third-party price, in most cases it's worthwhile to take advantage of their Best Rate Guarantee. Hyatt will match the rate ... then reduce it by another 20%. You end up with a rate 20% lower than the third-party site, plus it earns points and stay credit . There's a whole separate thread on the ins and outs of the Best Rate Guarantee. IME my claim has always been approved, yet I'm sure that sometimes a valid claim is not approved. Still, it's a great program and I think it sets Hyatt apart from the others.
Thanks. In my case, I'd be using airline (AA) miles (and it looks like a third party of one sort or another to the hotel), so my price is free. I think that the BRG would not be able to touch this case

Good to know that the perks would still apply.

Cheers.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 9:44 am

I will appreciate if someone can answer this asap. Trying to book tonight...

I have an offer for 3000 bonus points from Hyatt for 1 stay before Sep. 30th

I am planning to book a night at Hyatt house with points. Will I get that 3000 in bonus points if I use points to book the room?

Also, if I book the room on AAA rate will I still be eligible for those bonus points?

Thanks!
Old Jul 8, 2015, 10:13 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by dwatcher

I am planning to book a night at Hyatt house with points. Will I get that 3000 in bonus points if I use points to book the room?

Also, if I book the room on AAA rate will I still be eligible for those bonus points?

Thanks!
It has to be an eligible revenue stay (I forgot the exact wording) to get the points bonus. Thus a booking on full points will not qualify. However, a booking of Points + Cash will. Also AAA rate booked on Hyatt.com is an eligible stay as well.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Originally Posted by dwatcher

Thanks!
Free nights do not count for stay or night credit, hence, you won't get the 3000 points.

You will get credit if you use AAA or any other rate that is on the hyatt website. Only opaque sites will not count.
Old Jul 10, 2015, 2:15 pm

I have a 9 nights stay coming up.
if I book 1 night with cash, and 8 with points, does that then becomes 9 nights counting towards my diamond status and 9 nights where I earn points on?
Old Jul 10, 2015, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Only 1 night will count as status because they will be booked as separate reservations.

Only stays which have some sort of payment involved get stay or night credit. You will also only earn points on the paid stay, plus any incidentals charged to your room for the entire stay.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2015, 9:53 pm

thanks!!

can anyone explain me how the diamond 30% extra points works?

if I pay a $1k Hyatt stay with my Chase CC, I'll get $1k UR on my Chase account, and 300 Hyatt points on my hyatt account?
Old Jul 10, 2015, 11:01 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by switchyj
thanks!!

can anyone explain me how the diamond 30% extra points works?

if I pay a $1k Hyatt stay with my Chase CC, I'll get $1k UR on my Chase account, and 300 Hyatt points on my hyatt account?
The 30% extra is outside of however you pay. That's irrelevant. It's 30% added to the points you get from your room stay. So if the room is $1000. You get 1000 * 5 base points and then 30% more than that. So 1500 points.

My calculations are also <room rate> * 5 * 1.30 = # points.
So -> 1000 * 5 * 1.30 = 6500 pts.

Also note that as diamond, you have a choice to take a points amenity on your room which would be an additional 500 or 1000 points depending on the hotel.

And yes you could get w/e points you get from your credit card. If a Hyatt card, an ADDITIONAL 1000 * 3 pts (3000 pts) will be added to your Hyatt account. Hyatt cards do not get UR. If it's not a Hyatt card, than you get UR points only. 2000 UR for Ink and CSP. 1000 UR for Freedom.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.