Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2019, 7:58 am

Programs: HH Lifetime Diamond, DL PM, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by goliath
We probably spent much more time at the (main) pool than any other guests at the time, so we got this service all the time. They do come by multiple times a day, even with a special solution that is flown in from "overseas".
We spent a lot of time there during our trip a few weeks ago and this was not offered. They did bring fruit which was a nice touch.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 8:15 am

What are the advantages of being on the "quiet island"? I'm torn between a sunset facing RWV or SWV. The cost difference isn't a big concern to me. Is the RWV worth the splurge?
Old Feb 13, 2019, 8:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Wozza2404
I've never done the Maldives, but I'm booked up for November this year. 5 nights at the Conrad, and 3 nights at the new WA. If reviews of the WA aren't stellar by then, I have enough Marriott points to switch to the St Regis, or I may pay cash somewhere else.

For me, the Conrad is attractive for a number of reasons - Firstly, it costs around £1k a night for an OW villa at a 5* resort in the Maldives, so points save me £5k straight off the bat. Secondly, the snorkelling gets incredible reviews because of the location and the maturity of the reef around island - that's a big part of why I want to be there. Third, I'm not bothered about having a super luxury room - I'm there to be over the ocean and have the tranquillity that comes with that. I don't need mink curtains and a butler to tuck me in at night. A roof over my head if it rains and a comfortable bed is pretty much my entire list of requirements when I've got the ocean underneath me (BTW I understand the people who want absolute luxury at this price point and thus the Conrad doesn't meet their standard, but that's why these other resorts exist, because we're all different. I hate resorts that 'fuss', with butlers and people trying to polish my sunglasses on the beach. Other people love that stuff.).

So for me the Conrad has always been on my list. And being Diamond and having the free breakfast and afternoon snacks and stuff should mean I don't have to spend a fortune whilst I'm there (though obviously I'm aware it's not Eurocamp, either).

I get why some people may consider it a little 'rustic' - but for me that's exactly what I want.
Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
Agree. For somewhere like Conrad Koh Samui if the room is substandard or outdated I'd be much more concerned. Obviously it has to be in good nick and everything working. In the Maldives we go there to stare at the gradation of the colours of the lagoon and ocean, swim and snorkel, eat quality food, stare at the ocean some more when we eat, walk around the beaches, walk the paths - both night and day - that weave through the islands and admire the natural beauty of the whole place.....then stare at the lagoon some more from an infinity pool, take a jetski for a spin, then eat more great food. Then repeat. For us the room is 10, maybe 20%. When we go to CKS the room is 70, 80%. And hey, call me old fashioned but I'm the only one that cleans my sunglasses..... Furthermore I don't want a slave nor servant to attend to my every need. Makes me feel uncomfortable to be treated like a King.
Cool. Glad to read these. The natural beauty and uniqueness of the location is of much greater interest to me than the amenities in the villa itself. It sounds like the villas are still more than adequate for our needs. We're not talking about a Hampton Inn on an island or something.

I'll confess I"m also somewhat influenced by the fact that HH points are not always worth very much in other parts of the world. The relative value of them here (vs. the rest of the system) is fantastic for an experience that I believe we will legit value in the $800-1000/nt range. It beats blowing 95k in New York where there are many tactics for finding a cheaper hotel and many interchangeable hotels offering the same quality as a Hilton.

Marriott points still (for now) have some pretty good uses in different parts of their system. That 60k/nt. at the St Regis that all the blogs are writing about still leaves you a long way from an OWV, if you can get it at all.

Last edited by pinniped; Feb 13, 2019 at 8:52 am
Old Feb 13, 2019, 9:46 am

Originally Posted by CHSDOC
What are the advantages of being on the "quiet island"? I'm torn between a sunset facing RWV or SWV. The cost difference isn't a big concern to me. Is the RWV worth the splurge?
Very few people and even fewer kids. We never saw a child there in the 11 or 12 or so nights we have spent on that island. Remember that with a SWV you are guaranteed a sunset view while a RWV you are only getting a 50% chance of a sunset-facing villa. If I were you and a sunset view was important I'd take the SWV as, in addition to the guaranteed and totally unobstructed view (from the bed at least for the couple closest to the OWS), you get a sunset-facing bed. Great for sitting there for a couple hours, watching the sun go down with suitable music playing on the sound syetem. Oh, and you're on the quieter island which has nicer pathways as well. Really nice when you're walking back to the villa at night.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 9:54 am

Anyone currently at CR - any talk about renovations - scope ? timing?
Old Feb 13, 2019, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by pinniped
What specifically is it that make the St. Regis OWV's so much better? Just the service level from StR, the physical villas themselves, or the serenity of the atoll and natural surroundings?

I still think the St. Regis is probably out for me because I wouldn't be able to book it for several months after I'd need to have my flights in place. (Even if I can actually get the OWV with some huge number of Marriott points.) I like the fact that I can get the Conrad booked 1 year in advance and then book CX flights 30 days later, knowing that if I have to move it a day one way or the other I probably can. By the time StR opens up for booking, those CX J seats are probably long gone.
There is no saving if you would never consider paying cash, it is just about the value you attach to points.

The St Regis is better in every respect.

I have only stayed in a DWV at CR but in comparison a standard OWV at Vommuli had twice the effective internal space, something like 3 to 4 times the effective outdoor space, a fab and good sized private pool rather than a token effort. The bikes per villa were a nice touch, service was much better, the smaller number of villas made the atmosphere far nicer (the main island at rangali feels like a tropical housing estate) overall the vibe felt much more luxurious. Fundamentally the Conrad rooms are weak and very poor value on a cash rate and I think for points.

I wish I could see Rangali as a place to enjoy given the easy availability but I just can't Divorce it from the cost of getting there north of £6k since acceptable redemptions ex Uk are like rocking horse poo. Adding that to at least $1.5k per night of incidental spend (decent food and drink, room upgrade, spa and a couple of excursions like I would have in any other resort). The redemption for nights is less significant than the circa £15k of real additional cost.

I can live with that £15k if the underlying resort and redemption makes it worthwhile otherwise I would rather just spend a bit less than £15k having a great trip elsewhere.

Last edited by Land-of-Miles; Feb 13, 2019 at 12:38 pm
Old Feb 13, 2019, 12:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
There is no saving if you would never consider paying cash, it is just about the value you attach to points.

The St Regis is better in every respect.

I have only stayed in a DWV at CR but in comparison a standard OWV at Vommuli had twice the effective internal space, something like 3 to 4 times the effective outdoor space, a fab and good sized private pool rather than a token effort. The bikes per villa were a nice touch, service was much better, the smaller number of villas made the atmosphere far nicer (the main island at rangali feels like a tropical housing estate) overall the vibe felt much more luxurious. Fundamentally the Conrad rooms are weak and very poor value on a cash rate and I think for points.

​​
The effective outdoor space would potentially have some value to me. If I do Conrad, I'd probably pay for an upgrade at least a couple levels - I haven't reviewed all of the different choices.

Would I pay cash? As a once-in-a-lifetime trip, I'd probably go to the $800-1000/nt range. It's unlikely that I'd ever pay whatever the StR cash costs are for an OWV. That would be a thing solely enabled by points if it ever happened. But just like booking a long-haul F trip that I wouldn't really book with cash, I would just enjoy it and not worry about the value *too* much. It's why we're here, right? The miles and points should lead to something fun...

But StR is probably moot because nothing will be loaded at the time I need to lock in dates. Maybe I'll check back later in the year and see what the options really are. But the Conrad looks great too, so I'll be happy either way.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 4:37 pm

Programs: AA EP/4MM, DL GM/1MM, HH ♦, Bonvoy LT PLT, Hyatt Globalist, AMEX Bus Plt
Originally Posted by llfoster
I’m here until Monday and will do some digging. They are very well aware of the WA Maldives pending opening. Say it will be amazing.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 6:19 pm

Programs: delta, american, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by llfoster

I am here for another 9 days. We went to the managers reception last night, but the drinks were flowing and we met some interesting fellow travelers right off the bat and before I knew it, it was over and i hadn't gotten a chance to speak to any of the staff that were mingling. (Except for a certain waitress who was VERY good at her job and kept us more than supplied!) I will do better at next weeks reception, I promise!

I did learn on the way in that the Conrad Lounge is being moved to a separate building undergoing construction right now. The move in date is scheduled to be September + or -. This is probably not new info, but I couldn't remember seeing anything on here about it, possibly it has been a while and I just forgot. The new building is much bigger and I imagine it will be harboring guests from both Conrad and WA once it opens.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 7:37 pm

Programs: SQ KF, A3 Gold, CI Dynasty, UA MileagePlus, ANA AMC, HH Gold, M&C Gold, SPG Gold
Just booked a 8N stay here in early August for the WV with HH points. Really looking forward to it.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
Adding that to at least $1.5k per night of incidental spend (decent food and drink, room upgrade, spa and a couple of excursions like I would have in any other resort).
That's 3x the average spend at the resort.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 12:39 am

I am here now as well, today there is a cruise ship anchored offshore and they are shuttling alot of mostly asian people to conrad as a day excursion .. Not sure if this is a new thing but definitely makes a beach day less peaceful...I don't remember reading this in previous posts. Thru some Google searches I believe the ship is the ms World
Old Feb 14, 2019, 12:47 am

Programs: HH Diamond, BAEC
Originally Posted by jsteinberg
I am here now as well, today there is a cruise ship anchored offshore and they are shuttling alot of mostly asian people to conrad as a day excursion .. Not sure if this is a new thing but definitely makes a beach day less peaceful...I don't remember reading this in previous posts. Thru some Google searches I believe the ship is the ms World
Errrrr .... I don’t like the sound of a cruise ship offloading passengers for a day. How many people are there? I know before they’ve allowed people come over for the day but it was small groups or whatever to have lunch at Ithaa but I thought that was it ...
Old Feb 14, 2019, 12:56 am

I am in a DBV close to the Mandhoo spa (all the way at the end before the boardwalk) .. Was out on the beach in our chairs and moved back to the DBV pool as they were loud and flying a drone over the over water villas on main island... Eventually a lifeguard came over and shut that down... Not sure how many people I'll walk over to the main pool in a bit and see if I can guess... I'll take some pics
Old Feb 14, 2019, 12:57 am

Nice weather today though... 😊

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.