Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2018, 8:17 am

Originally Posted by goliath
I'm sure you could save money by just ask them to prepare a private table for breakfast at Mandhoo on your next "regular" visit.
I had actually thought of that. Will definitely be doing it at least once on our 30-day stay.

Originally Posted by goliath
I assume the charge would be less than the airfare to fly there tomorrow.
Not if it was every day.....and a buffet + a la carte menu would require a chef. I could just order breakfast like IVD but we've never done that because we don't like to restrict our choices at breakfast.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 8:33 am

Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
Not if it was every day.....and a buffet + a la carte menu would require a chef. I could just order breakfast like IVD but we've never done that because we don't like to restrict our choices at breakfast.
I noticed that @Jermyn wrote a blog post a while ago that had a picture of a breakfast menu to be completed and left on the door. It seemed much more extensive than what's offered through the television or the bound menu. Has this been discontinued? I didn't see any in our villa when we stayed.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 8:46 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Loews Platinum
Short answer

I wish I didn't have to cross either the Atlantic or Pacific to get to the Maldives. I would be a bit of a Freak too if the Maldives were a 3 hour flight like the Caribbean is for me. Of course, I guess the Caribbean is more acce$$ible.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 8:52 am

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
As an update about the missing points, I called Hilton Honors customer service. The agent was able to verify with the hotel directly and was able to post the missing points for the stay. I didn't need to submit anything myself. ^
Old Aug 27, 2018, 10:26 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by lhrhappy
No kidding. I think I would set myself a special breakfast alarm just to arrive early enough to get the corner table farthest away from the land.
That's the table we usually try and get. If not that one, the one next to it is acceptable too.
For what it's worth, Mandhoo gets sun in the morning and the staff will try to dissuade you from sitting at a good table because of the sun. Maybe bring a hat.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 1:25 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Ronin - churn and burn
Originally Posted by lhrhappy
I noticed that @Jermyn wrote a blog post a while ago that had a picture of a breakfast menu to be completed and left on the door. It seemed much more extensive than what's offered through the television or the bound menu. Has this been discontinued? I didn't see any in our villa when we stayed.
The menus were still there when we returned in April this year.
However, we saw a few different versions floating around, with different items on each of them.
Scribbling over things and writing what we actually wanted seemed to work for the most part though, on the days when we were left reduced versions of the menu.

On average they got two items wrong each day, which I guess isn't too bad
Old Aug 28, 2018, 7:49 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I'm curious if anyone here has ever visited this resort alone, or heard of anyone visiting alone, and what was the experience like? Or would you visit alone?

The wifi is good. There would be worse things than having my own water villa for a few days, get some work done, look at the surf, swim, enjoy the scenery, etc. Quiet breakfast alone, maybe dinners sitting at Rangali Bar.

I would feel weird though. Like Jason Segel's character in "Forgetting Sarah Marshall."
Old Aug 28, 2018, 8:50 am

Programs: OW Emerald - HH Diamond
I have indeed met solo travelers there and always thought I would enjoy it, too. What a great way to unwind. Unfortunately, I don't have the option!
Old Aug 28, 2018, 9:20 am

All this talk of breakfast at Mandhoo has me in a depressed state. If I was a millionnaire I'd book flights and be there tomorrow just for the breakfast experience.

There's nothing stopping you from using an outside service but best of luck finding one that will not charge you hundreds to go pick you up and return you to the resort and be more expensive in the long run.
Ah got it, thank you!
Old Aug 28, 2018, 9:55 am

I'd love to go there alone. Or with my blind cat. He almost never gets out of the house.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 10:22 am

Originally Posted by jphripjah
I'm curious if anyone here has ever visited this resort alone, or heard of anyone visiting alone, and what was the experience like? Or would you visit alone?

The wifi is good. There would be worse things than having my own water villa for a few days, get some work done, look at the surf, swim, enjoy the scenery, etc. Quiet breakfast alone, maybe dinners sitting at Rangali Bar.

I would feel weird though. Like Jason Segel's character in "Forgetting Sarah Marshall."
i would have no qualms going alone. dip into water daily, come ashore, eat, take photo, play computer as i pleased.

done that before but not at conrad maldives.

you can always sit at the bar if you feel self-conscious sitting alone at dinner table. or you can do the latter and bring a kindle with you.

having said that, i should say i typically dont care what others think abt me lol
Old Aug 28, 2018, 10:30 am

Originally Posted by jphripjah

I was there alone on my first visit in Feb 2014, and had a tremendous time. In fact, other than staying in the OWV it was hard to have any time to myself as everyone wanted to talk to me, no doubt due to curiosity as to why I was alone. Even staff would acknowledge me as the guy traveling alone when I would check into the meals etc... and (seemingly) pay extra attention to me. I was also lucky enough to meet on the first night two solo women, also from the US, traveling together, and one of them and I decided to make good use of my outdoor tub, the nightsky and a bottle of champers. Anyhoo, the point is, it is surprisingly fun to be there alone
Old Aug 28, 2018, 10:37 am

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
I would recommend obtaining a local SIM card if you want reliable Internet access. The resort has full cellular service. I assume service is available from both providers, Dhiraagu and Ooredoo, but my roaming connection defaulted to Ooredoo on HSPA, not LTE. The problem with the resort's WiFi is that it tends to get unusable in the evenings. I assume the connection is some microwave link back to Malé that gets saturated when a quarter of the resort is attempting to use it at the end of the day.

Mrs. Majuki and I never fully adjusted to the schedule there in the sense that we were falling asleep after dinner and waking up at 4 or 5 am every morning. This was good for us because it allowed us to make use of the WiFi when the connection speed was tolerable, get in a morning sunrise swim, and still be among the first to breakfast.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 10:44 am

I have found the WiFi speed to be very good at all hours
Old Aug 28, 2018, 10:55 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
I went alone and enjoyed it. I liked that it was a slightly bigger resort for more anonymity and no awkward arrivals ceremony with the whole staff and just me....

I loved being able to snorkel right off the beach from my villa, going to the beach is usually a PITA on your own. No issues eating in the buffet or Rangali bar, didn't go to any of the more 'coupley' restaurants.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.