Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2015] Hilton Waikoloa Village {US-HI}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 26, 2014, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Canarsie
To jump to the year in which you would like to search, please click on the desired years:

1999 | 2000 | 2001 | 2002 | 2003 | 2004 | 2005 | 2006 | 2007 | 2008 | 2009 | 2010 | 2011 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014

Better yet, please feel free to add links to what you believe are portions of this discussion with important information about the Hilton Waikoloa Village® hotel property.

Examples from a different discussion not yet updated here:
Please report any errors — such as broken links, for example — to the moderators of the Hilton | Hilton HHonors forum.

Thank you.
Print Wikipost

[ARCHIVE to 2015] Hilton Waikoloa Village {US-HI}

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2001, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just talked to Hilton and was told December is totally blacked out for Waikoloa award stay. Does anyone else have the same experience?
Old Oct 23, 2001, 7:00 pm

Chase,

I called 2 months ago about using the awards in December but they told me none was available. Made Diamond status month later and called back to find out if it was available. Sure enough, I booked a week coming up in December. Although I got the booking, this annoyed me since they did have rooms available. They didn't even bother to tell me the first time that perhaps I could get it once I made Diamond status since I was only 2 stays away from it. Chase - if you're close to Diamond status, call back once you get that level.
Old Oct 23, 2001, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott Contributor Badge

The truth about Waikoloa

In response to the responses of the following thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum57/HTML/002812.html

I feel somewhat guilty not having reported earlier about what happened to me so that other FTers, especially the author of the thread linked above, could know the trick that the hotel was playing.

I was at Waikoloa during the last week of August. At check-in, I was told the exact same thing about Executive Ocean Tower level. I know for a fact, Waikoloa's management has instructed their front desk agent not to grant Executive lounge access to Golds and maybe also Diamonds. The lady at check-in said she can't give us lounge access claiming that Executive room was not available. I knew it was a lie, so I said: "That's fine, I don't need Executive Rooms, but according to HHonors rules, even if the Executive Level room is not available, I still have access to the Executive Lounge." She didn't say anything but looked somewhat unsure and didn't know what to do. So she went back to check with someone. It turned out a manager named Brian came out. This guy was prepared, just look at the way he presented himself - very polite, sure and a folder on his hands. He went on and explained how Gold and Diamond members are important to them but the capacity of the Executive Lounge cannot sustain the # of people using it but would offered free breakfast coupons instead. I told him: "You do not have a choice. You may not offer me an Executive room if it's full and I have no problem with it. However, if you have an Executive Lounge, I have access to it and you can't change the terms and conditions of HHonors." Guess what he showed next: A photocopy of the page on HHonors benefits same as you would see on Hilton's website except at the bottom of it says (not exact quote): Hotel has right to control the number of people using Executive Lounge if the capacity becomes non-manageable. Now that's news to me, I have never seen this page before and the way that photocopy was made - it had no color and looked like a paragraph that was being 'added' to that page, I found that most interesting. So I said: "I have never seen this before. Do you mind I brought this issue up with Mr. Adam Burke, an important 'employee' of Hilton?" As soon as he heard Adam's name, his attitude changed...he said he didn't know exactly who is Adam Burke but the name means something to him. Followed by that, he decided to grant us access to Executive lounge immediately. Throughout our conversation, he was very polite, but clearly on defensive and his words sound as though they have been said before many, many times. The young lady who checked us in was there all the time and when the access was granted she continued our check-in happily and said: "I have to get permission from him to upgrade you." This sentence says a lot. It's not about whether there is space or not, it's about this hotel has decided not to grant executive lounge access to Golds and maybe also Diamonds.

Based on my observation, I have sufficient evidence to conclude that this hotel has decided to deny access to Executive Lounge as an unpublished and internal policy despite the Hilton Honors policy. I urge an investigation by Hilton Honors on this property for any violations of terms and conditions of Hilton Honors by this hotel. If any further assistance or details or evidence I may provide, I will cooperate. Hope now you guys know how to deal with this hotel when you check-in, expect to be denied lounge access which comes with free Kohala Spa privileges, free Tennis time and many other freedies.

[This message has been edited by Guava (edited 10-23-2001).]
Old Oct 23, 2001, 7:54 pm
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Sad to hear but thanks very much for the post Guava!
Old Oct 23, 2001, 8:25 pm

Programs: Many
I am 99.999% sure this is the same guy I battled with in July there over the same thing.
Old Oct 23, 2001, 8:51 pm

Thanks Guava. I'll make sure to mention also the fact that they have a loss of 66% profit when I arrive in December.
Old Oct 23, 2001, 9:27 pm

Location: DFW, 3.5 MM, AA EXP, LIFETIME PLATINUM, MARRIOTT LIFETIME PLATINUM, STARWOOD AMBASSADOR 223 NIGHTS, AND LIFETIME GOLD, HILTON DIAMOND, NATIONAL EXECUTIVE ELITE
Guava,

Thanks - very interesting. Are you going to email Adam - I think the hotel's behavior is discipable.

I look forward to mentioning Adam Burke's name to Brian in Nov.

Adam has clearly stated in at least 1 post that Golds and Diamonds are at the very least entitled to Lounge Access.

I am Diamond and will fight to the end for this.
Old Oct 23, 2001, 10:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott Contributor Badge

For me the stay was over and I probably won't go back in the foreseable future. Other than the check-in, the stay was very pleasant as I found the concierge to be more than helpful and professional. We were given lounge access + lots of yellow Diamond VIP breakfast coupons valid at Palm Terrace and Orchid Cafe. I used some of them at Orchid Cafe for brunch (until 11:30AM it's considered 'breakfast') after having breakfast early in the morning. So for a few days, we were basically stay, play and eat for free as the Mai Tai (Lounge) in the evening is more than sufficient for good dinner. The Salmon Benedict or the Japanese breakfast @ Orchid Cafe are good choices for brunch until 11:30AM and using the Diamond VIP breakfast voucher, you pay only need to pay an extra of about $2.50 The Kohala Spa breakfast in Palms Terrace and their breakfast buffet are also good choices for brunch/lunch until 11:00AM if you can have breakfast at the lounge very early in the morning. That doesn't mean we were staying totally free. My philosophy was spend the money when it's worth it and don't sacrifice pleasure for it. We didn't eat @ the lounge everyday either, I think that was what the hotel was worrying about - guests will spend much less or not spend at all if given free lounge access. On the contrary, we went to the expensive restaurants for lunches and evenings @ our own cost on several occasion just because we feel like it. We spent almost about $160 for two on one dinner @ the Japanese restaurant for the Chief's 8 course dinner - the most expensive one that I remember. So the hotel's concern was really unwarranted.

That being said, I will e-mail Adam. Even though it really doesn't matter for me anymore as I don't anticipate to return there anytime soon. But, since I brought this up, I intend to see whether my observation was right or not. I am not accusing the hotel of any wrong doing. What I am saying is there are sufficient evidence for an investigation by Hilton itself, not by the FBI! The only way the hotel can prove its innocence is by changing its policies to be consistent with the guidelines of Hilton Honors. Here is what I think an investigation of this should be: An investigation can happen any time by anyone, the hotel wouldn't be able to tell whether the Gold VIPs showing up today are there sent by Hilton to check the claims or not. Nor can they know when the checks will take place. It will be random. It's like those FBI agents randomly testeing the security of airports, same principle. Once the data are collected, we should use mathematics (statistics), computer analysis and other relevant tools to determine whether the claim is valid. If a scientifical proof can be established, then we can talk about accusation. But until then, we don't have any proof so we may not accuse anyone of any wrong doing.

Anyway, I don't know if this is what Hilton is going to do if they even accept to investigate on this case. I hope they will as I believe there is a need for investigation. By the way, what is the right e-mail address to e-mail Adam? I never e-mailed him before and I think he has provided more than one e-mail address, so I want to know the right one. Please provide me the right e-mail address and I will write a letter and address this problem to him personally and ask for his help. In any case, I'll keep you inform.

[This message has been edited by Guava (edited 10-23-2001).]
Old Oct 24, 2001, 12:47 am

Guava.
you surely didnt miss anything with the very ordinary breakfast and the NOT free drinks and very ordinary nibbles. i would have rathered a full breakky at the palm rest. although I did have the so called U beaut seafood buffet there and it was SOOOOOOOO ordinary i left after one half hour!
i love the property but the lounge is NOT up to the standard of the asian lounges like conrad sing and HK.
this is a very expensive property to run so they obviously NEED the extra revenue.I dont have a problem with that! but it is a shame when oone compares it with the Waikiki Hyatt regency which absolutely LAYS it on with food and alcohol.
Old Oct 24, 2001, 8:27 am

Call the hotel directly, it seems to always work for me. Remind them you plan to spend money there.

Old Oct 24, 2001, 10:05 am

Location: Alexandria, VA, USA NW Platinum Elite Since 1999, United GoldMM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz #1 Gold, IC Ambassador, Avis Chairman's
Here is Adam's E-mail address, he has been very good at responding whenever I have written, or having his assistant Kathy help out. [email protected]
....but remember, Hilton has changed the wording for Golds on their web site now, you get either lounge access OR breakfast coupons. From the web site... "In cases when Towers or Executive Level accommodations have been fully booked, Gold VIP members will be offered either (1) the use of the Towers or Executive Level lounge, including complimentary continental breakfast each morning or (2) personalized certificates for each day of the stay for all occupants of the members room valid for complimentary continental breakfast in the hotel coffee shop or all-purpose restaurant. "
It's up to the property what they want to do, but good to let management know what the properties themselves are doing and interpreting the rules.

[This message has been edited by thezipper (edited 10-24-2001).]
Old Oct 24, 2001, 10:25 am

Programs: AF/KLM Plat For Life/UA Million Miler-PremEx For Life/SPG Gold
I reluctantly offer this pre-emptive strategy for HH customers concerned about not getting equivalent treatment for using points instead of miles.

Book the Waikoloa for 6 nights using $$$. Still order the ALON from HH. When you arrive at the hotel and check-in and receive your upgraded ocean view room and Exec Lounge access for all 6 nights.....THEN pull out your ALON and tell the front desk you decided
to use points instead of $$. Lets see them try and wiggle out of that scenario and downgrade your room/access/etc.

Desperate times call for creative measures!!

Old Oct 24, 2001, 10:30 am

Location: Alexandria, VA, USA NW Platinum Elite Since 1999, United GoldMM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz #1 Gold, IC Ambassador, Avis Chairman's
For those of you who do not get an upgrade, I suggest you visit the business center, punch up the dates you will be staying there on a single day basis and try to see if Executive floor rooms are available. If they are, print the information out and take it to the front desk manager. If they do not upgrade you, then call Guest Assistance and have them go to bat for you. See the following thread for more information:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum57/HTML/000928.html
Old Oct 24, 2001, 1:42 pm

Beaubo - that sounds like a good idea but I think they might turn around and tell you since you booked it that you will have to pay for the cancellation? I might try this one - I have a reservation using my ALON award at this hotel. I can show up and request the executive lounge etc. and upgrade but if they don't allow any of my requests, then I will cancel the whole week on the spot. I'm wondering will I eat the ALON award if I decide to cancel it that day and keep the certificate to send back to Hilton Honors??? Has anyone doen this?
Old Oct 24, 2001, 4:04 pm

you can redeposit all awards at any time. Believe I'd take free breakfast coupons the lounge is nice but not worth getting all worked up about.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.