Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

AXON Hilton Honors Award Questions and Information: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 30, 2013, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
Effective Dec. 31 2016, Hilton eliminated AXON awards with no notice.
Print Wikipost

AXON Hilton Honors Award Questions and Information: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2013, 3:50 pm

Programs: Whoever Has the Best Bonus
The new rewards are lame. The Cat 7 I booked in Hawaii was 50k a night. So it was 200k, with the AXON that was 145k. Good savings. Now 190k. Not worth it.

Luckily I'm already on the no fee AMEX. Glad I didn't take the bait to upgrade (and I only got this one because Hilton gave me a free year as Diamond a few years ago for the no fee card).

Down to 300k points. I'm going to try to get another AXON in at the lower rates before the June 15th implosion. If you know of any good places to redeem please share!
Old Apr 29, 2013, 3:52 pm

Time to buy some gift cards so I hit the spend on my 50K Visa and book and Axon at 145K before june 15
Old Apr 29, 2013, 4:01 pm

I'm still out of luck booking AXON at NYC properties at category 5,6,7. Seems everything is 8,9,10 now. ugh!
Old Apr 29, 2013, 4:10 pm

Programs: Hyatt D/HHonors D/ SPG P/ Marriott P/ IHG P/ UA 1K/ AA EXP/ DL D
Originally Posted by flyer4512
Time to buy some gift cards so I hit the spend on my 50K Visa and book and Axon at 145K before june 15
Are there any decent Cat 7 hotels worth of 145K? Before 3/28 there were a lot but I am not sure they are any new Cat 7 hotels now worth any efforts to redeem.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by lewende
Are there any decent Cat 7 hotels worth of 145K? Before 3/28 there were a lot but I am not sure they are any new Cat 7 hotels now worth any efforts to redeem.
Sent you a PM
Old Apr 29, 2013, 6:35 pm

Programs: AA Plt 3MM; UA 1K 2 MM; MR Lifetime Plat; HH Lifetime Diamond; HH Diamond; IGH Spire Ambas; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by CIT85
Some of us earn all of our HH points by stays. So my almost 600K points just lost quite a bot of value. SPG AMEX for SPG points is far more valuable than HH ppoints. HH AMEX is only for AXON awards which is now worthless. So it's time to get rid of HH AMEX.
Originally Posted by diver858
600k points? How long did it take to accumulate? Why are you holding them?
I am another ex-HH loyalist who has earned a lot of points from stays--currently seven figures. Have been Diamond for well over a decade, racking up about 120 nights per year.

And I am one of those who absolutely care about this massive devaluation, and am shifting my business to Marriott, Hyatt and Radisson.

By the way--many here seem to have forgotten that Hilton did a prior devaluation right in the midst of the economic meltdown as rates were plummeting.

If I want to earn points from CC--there is always Starwood--and that's where I'll continue to spend for earning free stays.

Hilton Corp. There is just one word for the execs running that corporation.

Greed.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 8:22 pm

Location: Chapel Hill, NC - UA Nobody (sigh)/0.925MM, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by travelexpert
If I want to earn points from CC--there is always Starwood--and that's where I'll continue to spend for earning free stays.
I was SPG Plat once and it was great. Just not enough properties. But this is rehashing an old theme.

Hilton Corp. There is just one word for the execs running that corporation.

Greed.
Naive. Greed, to paraphrase GG (), is what all corporations are about.
Old Apr 30, 2013, 1:08 am

Originally Posted by Happy
Right you are. The Citi Reserve gives Gold as long as you own the card, and it has 0% forex fee. The AMEX Surpass only offers Gold the first year and it carries 3% forex fee.
Amex Surpass is 6% supermarkets and drugstores, and 60K bonus, while Citi Reserve is 3% (non-travel) and two weekend certificates, though it doesn't seem you can use them consecutively.
Old Apr 30, 2013, 1:40 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
AXON Hilton HHonors Award Questions and Information: The Definitive Thread

Surpass is stopping the 6 points per $ at drug stores.
Old Apr 30, 2013, 3:15 am

Originally Posted by deant
Surpass is stopping the 6 points per $ at drug stores.
Any recommendation on the best Hilton credit card? Thanx
(looks like supermarkets drop from 6x to 5x)
Old Apr 30, 2013, 3:50 am

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Originally Posted by st.exupery
Amex Surpass is 6% supermarkets and drugstores, and 60K bonus, while Citi Reserve is 3% (non-travel) and two weekend certificates, though it doesn't seem you can use them consecutively.
Does anyone else have experience with being unable to use the Citi free night certs consecutively? If that really is the case it may well change my plans WRT this card.
Old Apr 30, 2013, 8:56 am

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Originally Posted by st.exupery
Any recommendation on the best Hilton credit card? Thanx
(looks like supermarkets drop from 6x to 5x)
Depends on your total spend, earning objectives.
Old Apr 30, 2013, 9:28 am

Programs: Work in progress.
Originally Posted by diver858
What makes you think that Hilton did not do a fair amount of research before making the change. Like the airlines, hotels are most concerned about their bigger spenders, who apparently are not too concerned by the devaluation.

I could be wrong, but would hazard a guess that the people making the most noise are those who accumulate points by credit card churns rather than stays, will have to put a bit more effort in to working the system, have made it more difficult for those of us who earn points the old fashioned way (okay, I also dabble in credit cards ).
[Emphasis mine]
I don't think so. I think the people who this has hurt the most and therefore are most vocal about it are the ones who EARNED the points by stays.
I accumulate these points like candy but I haven't earned them and therefore I feel that I don't *really* have the right to cry foul. I got something for free and now that something is worth less. And that's why you won't hear me complaining about it.

I feel bad for the ones who've exclusively stayed at Hilton when they could have stayed anywhere else. Spent their money with Hilton because they believed that the points they were accumulating meant something.

But Hilton turned out to be a cold back-stabbing bas***d.
Old Apr 30, 2013, 11:15 am

Programs: AA, US, WN, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat
Welcome to the AXON/Amex Surpass Changes/Citi Reserve Free Nights/What is the Best Hilton Card/Not Another Devaluation Thread!
Old Apr 30, 2013, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by PHLGovFlyer
Does anyone else have experience with being unable to use the Citi free night certs consecutively? If that really is the case it may well change my plans WRT this card.
I didn't have any problem. Use them consecutively for Saturday and Sunday nights at Conrad HK. Now that's for the 2 certs I got from spending bonus after applying for the card. Maybe he was talking about the cert you get from the annual spending at renewal time. You only get 1 per year at the same time of the year. And it expires in 1 year. So you won't be able to use 2 of them at any given time...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.