Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

AXON Hilton Honors Award Questions and Information: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 30, 2013, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
Effective Dec. 31 2016, Hilton eliminated AXON awards with no notice.
Print Wikipost

AXON Hilton Honors Award Questions and Information: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2013, 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by holtju2
You can read my full take of this here
Here's mine:
Old Apr 27, 2013, 1:49 pm

No Downgrade to No-Fee AMEX

FYI, with the latest AXON announcement I decided it was time to downgrade from the Surpass to the No-Fee AMEX. I had been foolishly holding out hope that AMEX would have some sort of additional AXON discount for Surpass cardholders to help justify the annual fee. Anyway, I just got off the phone with AMEX and they have put a freeze on downgrading Surpass cards to the No-Fee AMEX. Discussion on this topic starts on post #2094 in this thread http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...l#post20662000
Old Apr 27, 2013, 2:09 pm

Times must be very good (occupancy rates much higher) for Hilton family hotels, as there's a pretty clear message being sent the past couple months:

We don't need to reward your loyalty.
Old Apr 27, 2013, 5:42 pm

Programs: Marriott -Plat. Hilton -Diamond
Looks like I don't have to renew my Diamond Status with Hilton this year, or spend any more on my HH Amex. I love the postive spin Hilton said me is that I could still have lots of free nights to stay at Hampton Inns!
Old Apr 27, 2013, 9:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by beltway
Here's mine:
+1, got the very nondescript letter from Amex today in the mail.
Old Apr 28, 2013, 12:34 am

Programs: AA Plt 3MM; UA 1K 2 MM; MR Lifetime Plat; HH Lifetime Diamond; HH Diamond; IGH Spire Ambas; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by mnredfox
+1, got the very nondescript letter from Amex today in the mail.
+1

I would have thought American Express would go out of its way to hold on to its customers with some REAL benefits, especially given that it now has a real HH competitor that offers Gold status just for having the card.

Axon benefits are now marginal at best.

Bottom line: We're being fleeced every which way to Sunday...
Old Apr 28, 2013, 9:35 am

Programs: OW Emerald - HH Diamond
Been off the grid, now back, catching up. Ouch, indeed.
Old Apr 28, 2013, 3:07 pm

Programs: Work in progress.
Originally Posted by travelexpert
+1

I would have thought American Express would go out of its way to hold on to its customers with some REAL benefits, especially given that it now has a real HH competitor that offers Gold status just for having the card.

Bottom line: We're being fleeced every which way to Sunday...
Same here. I thought that as well.
Sucks.

I wonder...Hilton as GOT to be aware of this huge uproar that their devaluation has caused...Why don't they respond?
Old Apr 28, 2013, 5:17 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Originally Posted by jatink129
I wonder...Hilton as GOT to be aware of this huge uproar that their devaluation has caused...Why don't they respond?
What makes you think that Hilton did not do a fair amount of research before making the change. Like the airlines, hotels are most concerned about their bigger spenders, who apparently are not too concerned by the devaluation.

I could be wrong, but would hazard a guess that the people making the most noise are those who accumulate points by credit card churns rather than stays, will have to put a bit more effort in to working the system, have made it more difficult for those of us who earn points the old fashioned way (okay, I also dabble in credit cards ).
Old Apr 28, 2013, 9:10 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
You're Wrong

Originally Posted by diver858
What makes you think that Hilton did not do a fair amount of research before making the change. Like the airlines, hotels are most concerned about their bigger spenders, who apparently are not too concerned by the devaluation.

I could be wrong, but would hazard a guess that the people making the most noise are those who accumulate points by credit card churns rather than stays, will have to put a bit more effort in to working the system, have made it more difficult for those of us who earn points the old fashioned way (okay, I also dabble in credit cards ).
Some of us earn all of our HH points by stays. So my almost 600K points just lost quite a bot of value. SPG AMEX for SPG points is far more valuable than HH ppoints. HH AMEX is only for AXON awards which is now worthless. So it's time to get rid of HH AMEX.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 1:16 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by travelexpert
+1

Plus the competitor offers a free night on your anniversary. Figure the best thing is to wind up getting the no fee AMEX and then have the Citi Reserve card. Put my 40K spend on the Reserve plus get the free weekend certificate every year. Best of both worlds, access to AXON award (not that this means much), still get 3 points per $ on normal spending, plus get a free weekend night every year.

On the other hand, we can all hope that AMEX is seeing the error of their ways and is trying to regroup before they lose too many accounts. Refusing to allow downgrades will just push people to cancel the card and move more rapidly to the competition.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 4:00 am

Programs: HH diamond
Originally Posted by deant
Plus the competitor offers a free night on your anniversary.
This is not automatic. You have to spend at least 10K during the year before you can get the free night on the anniversary. So just having the card (and paying the annual fee) is NOT enough to earn an annual free weekend night certificate.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 8:56 am

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Originally Posted by CIT85
Some of us earn all of our HH points by stays. So my almost 600K points just lost quite a bot of value. SPG AMEX for SPG points is far more valuable than HH ppoints. HH AMEX is only for AXON awards which is now worthless. So it's time to get rid of HH AMEX.
600k points? How long did it take to accumulate? Why are you holding them?
Old Apr 29, 2013, 12:06 pm

I want to book an AXON award at Hilton Cairns from Jan 2-6th 2014. There is availability from 3-6 but not on the 2nd. Is it reasonable to expect availability to open up later? For now I have booked 3-7th hoping I can change to 2-6th.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 12:16 pm

Programs: Hyatt D/HHonors D/ SPG P/ Marriott P/ IHG P/ UA 1K/ AA EXP/ DL D
Originally Posted by diver858
600k points? How long did it take to accumulate? Why are you holding them?
Believe it or not, it is easier than you think to accumulate 600K points - I used to be able to accrue 400-500K HHonors points every year, through stays, AMEX credit cards including sign-on bonuses, and various promotions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.