Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Auckland {NZL}

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2016, 6:28 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by emofeng
I stayed here in late May booked in a King Guestroom as a Diamond. Arrived at 7am to check in and the room wasn't ready yet(expected). I asked what room is it and they said they've upgraded me to a bow suite!

It was day 1 of the re-opening of FISH restaurant so I went for breakfast while my room was getting prepared.
Did you get complimentary breakfast on your day of arrival?
Old Aug 8, 2016, 11:59 am

Programs: AA EXP / HH Diamond
In my case, arriving around 9 AM, a complimentary breakfast was not offered on the day of arrival. Similarly, I was not given drink chits for the night of check-out, either.
Old Aug 9, 2016, 1:03 am

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
I often arrive at hotels quite early, but never tried getting complimentary restaurant breakfast, as my room number/name wouldn't be on the list until the following morning. (Where's there;s a lounge I get breakfast there.) So I was curious at emofeng's report of breakfast and wondered if it was complimentary and if so what was said.
Old Aug 9, 2016, 10:06 am

Programs: AA EXP / HH Diamond
Makes sense, I've also been offered lounge breakfast when at a property under similar situations.

This was the first property I noticed an NOR1 "upgrade" to allow for early check-in, I think it was around NZ$70 (~US$49)... I did not opt for it, but would be curious if that is an upgrade that is made available.
Old Aug 10, 2016, 7:40 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
Its a matter of supply and demand with the Hilton leveraging the strength of the brand and program.People are obviously dumb enough to pay for it
So overcharge they will.
I would run to the Sofitel in a heartbeat which is a vastly better property IMHO.
I think the overcharging of the Hilton will change somewhat when the 5 Star Park Hyatt opens in 2015.
I was looking at the rates for a stay in Feb 2017.... and they are quite shocking :-(.
Bad thing that the PH is now scheduled for 2018.
Old Mar 15, 2017, 7:51 pm

Recent stays? Business trip. I'm debating between Hilton and an Ibis. The Hilton will cost me about US$110/day out of my pocket, the Ibis about US$30. (Both over employer's rate limit.) Hard to justify the upcharge, but I do care about the fitness center, and the Hilton's appears much better and is 24 hours (essential with 100 hour workweeks). Thanks.
Old Mar 17, 2017, 12:09 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
FWIW Stayed here last weekend with DH, who used the fitness center. He only used the treadmill and reported there's a nice view. I asked him for more details and he said that's all he remembers.

We had a harbor view room on the 6th floor and it was very nice, especially when there wasn't a cruise ship outside our balcony. Hotel notified us the evening before a cruise ship was expected.

No executive lounge but we received drink vouchers for Bellini bar which could be used for sodas/tea/coffee and the breakfast in Fish was very good.

Service was great and the location was very good for us, but we were on vacation, not business.
Old May 11, 2017, 11:16 pm

Programs: MM / UA 1K
I understand the GM has recently changed at this property. I have an upcoming stay that involves a special occasion. Would anyone be kind enough to share the current GM's contact info? TIA...
Old May 20, 2017, 7:30 pm

Programs: MM / UA 1K
So to answer my own question, it appears to be Garry Lucas as acting General Manager since the departure of Roger Brantsma to Hilton Tokyo Bay.

Originally Posted by konoyaro
I understand the GM has recently changed at this property. I have an upcoming stay that involves a special occasion. Would anyone be kind enough to share the current GM's contact info? TIA...
Old May 28, 2017, 12:03 am

Programs: QFF Gold, HHonors Gold
Long time reader of this forum, but have not posted!

My now-wife and I stayed here on our wedding night, after our reception dinner. Benefits extended were quite decent in my opinion.

While no room upgrade was available (I emailed about this a day before), I had booked a Harbour View Plus room, which was the highest room category below a suite, and I could see already on their website that they had none of these left (they only have 8).

The room contained three bottles of 'OnePure' water (an expensive Kiwi brand), a chocolate dessert platter, little Guylian chocolates next to the bed, a congratulations card, and a bottle of champagne.

I am fairly sure on a good day that they reserve the outdoor tables at breakfast for Hilton elite members - either that or it was coincidental that they put everyone else inside first despite a few tables being available outside (and it was a wonderful day). It was a full buffet too, not just the 'continental' that many US properties extend because they're cheap. I think that this should be the standard benefit at Hiltons without Executive Lounges, especially seeing as you can get full cooked-to-order at Garden Inn etc.

The drink vouchers for the Bellini bar state that they can only be redeemed in the evening hours, and we had arrived and would be checking out of the hotel outside of those times - but they were more than happy for us to use them in the morning for barista coffee at the bar, so that was nice.

Old May 28, 2017, 1:48 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
I would edit out your name and email address in the above photos...
Old May 28, 2017, 8:11 am

Was your reception dinner AT the Hilton Auckland and if so, how many in attendance?
Old May 28, 2017, 9:27 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by oranjemakker
Just curious, does anyone know why this hotel is consistently about 50% more expensive than other 5 star hotels in Auckland?

For example, for a stay next week Hilton on trivago is NZ$527, Sofitel $306 and SkyCity Grand $279

This same pattern happens most of the time.

Given the dated nature of the rooms compared certainly to the Sofitel, maybe its just a question of what they can get away with and the international nature of the Hilton brand that people from overseas assume its better than it is?
3 years later it seems the same is still true

I would like to stay here in November this year but I'm not paying NZ$5xx. $2xx and I'd snap it up instantly, $3xx may need some consideration. Is there any chance of the rate dropping?
Old Jun 1, 2017, 6:15 pm

Programs: NZ Airpoints GE, Qantas Platinum, Accor Diamond, Hilton Diamond
I stayed there two weeks ago after avoiding their extremely high prices for a couple of years and de-camping to the Pullman. I needed to be near an event at the Hilton and the rates were about $300. I was upgrade to a harbour-facing room minus cruise ship. I have had the alleyway-facing rooms before and they are decidedly mediocre and dark and don't feel private at all.
Two drinks vouchers for Bellini's and a very acceptable breakfast, too.
However, there seems to be no relief from the rise of the collective AKL hotel price-gouging. And a room tax by AKL City Council can only add to this upward pressure. At $500+/night most properties feel poor value including the Hilton. The shock decline in Chinese visitors may press hoteliers to rethink some of their more excessive pricing policies.
Old Jun 4, 2017, 9:32 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by saaveraward
Was your reception dinner AT the Hilton Auckland and if so, how many in attendance?
Nope. Had dinner at a nearby restaurant. I know what you're implying

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.