Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Auckland {NZL}

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2020, 5:50 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta Platinum
Great review Zurich! I'm arriving Friday and there till Sunday am, when i get a rental car and drive up to Rotoura for a couple days. Currently at the Doubletree in Melbourne...a nice location, great staff, decent breakfast, but not much in terms of amenities.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 2:41 am

Programs: HH: Diamond, WofH: Globalist, UA: 1k, Longterm member only post when I have something new to ask/say
Was there for a few nights on paid rates, round the same time as Zurich (two rooms). Received the same sort of upgrade as him, 4th floor room but allocated harbor view side. Had a snafu with one room, fixed by one of the managers - exceptionally nice and helpful staff at this property, without exception. We didn't use most of our Diamond drinks tickets (don't drink) but the lovely breakfast manager took them a couple of times for their barista-made coffee (consistent upcharge for this at every Hilton in NZ). Had very nice dinner one evening at Bellini (burgers, salads etc, really high quality food and nice ambiance) - Fish restaurant had a private function so were expecting a downgraded dinner since we couldn't get into Fish, but Bellini quality was great. Also had a room service meal one night, some kind of fish and potatoes, also nice quality and served, surprisingly for room service, super hot!

Loved how the breakfast manager remembered where we'd liked to sit (outside) and gave us the same table. Really impressed by how the front of house manager who fixed my room issue called me *from home when she was not working* to check it was resolved to my satisfaction. Wow. From home I repeat.

As Zurich says above, they come around in the evening happy to hand you out more towels, water, chocolates etc. I didn't use the coffee machine in the room but it looked like a good one. Greeted with smiles and welcomes every time we returned to the hotel. Seems well run/managed.

Minor touristy things to add, agree the ongoing and massive construction on and around Quay street makes transport to/from the hotel and walking in the area a bit of an issue - I actually thought it would be easier for uber to walk up to it, and get picked up on the street but nope. Get uber right outside the hotel is my suggestion (so you are inside when the inevitable delay happens...) and leave extra time for walking to piers etc. Second, there is an amazing gelato place opposite the pier where you get the boat to (beautiful) Devonport, easy walk to/from the hotel (once you've figured out the construction bits). Finally, Ponsonby shopping and eating was great too.

Overall: nicely done Hilton, pretty rooms and views, great staff, good food, exceptional breakfast and front desk management. Now if only I could say the same for all the Hiltons we've stayed in in NZ...
Old Oct 16, 2022, 2:14 am

Just completed a 7 night stay, paid on points as rates were touching NZD500/night.

Warmly welcomed as Diamond (and almost every time we spoke to staff Diamond membership was acknowledged)

Nice upgrade to harbour view on 4th floor

Diamond breakfast was continental only but that included boiled eggs and porridge (full breakfast NZD10 upcharge). Speciality coffee also chargeable

One drink voucher each per night issued for Bellini (and comment was if we needed more to come and ask)

Late checkout on final day was no problem.

Overall a very good stay, nice hotel in a decent location and very good staff

(Just be aware that now cruise ships are visiting Auckland again they dock alongside the Hilton)

Last edited by Curly; Oct 16, 2022 at 2:15 am Reason: More information
Old Oct 16, 2022, 2:17 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
$500 a night and they upcharge for hot breakfast?!
Old Oct 16, 2022, 4:20 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Schwann
$500 a night and they upcharge for hot breakfast?!
My thoughts exactly full buffet and made to order eggs
were the standard since they opened
I’m rebooking at the new Park Hyatt more upscale newer and full breakfast
See how they do
Fools IMO was planning on staying 2 weeks from now
Old Feb 15, 2023, 1:35 am

Programs: QF Plat+ LTG/ OW Emerald, VA Plat, NZ Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Whatsit. Taxation is theft.
Not very impressive.

Just completed a 2 night stay before moving onto the Sky City Grand (after an aborted attempt to get to CHC).

On the plus side, the staff were generally very attentive and competent. I called and asked for some firm latex pillows and housekeeping had them there 5 minutes later. Staff at the bar were great and May from the events team was exceptionally good.

That's about it...

No lounge. I was given two drink vouchers - TWO - for a two night stay. ...?

Pool closed because of a little bit of wind and rain. I would have happily gone swimming in the harbour, but NOOOO muh "wOrST sTOrM oF ThE cENtuRY" and we had to close the pool for several days. What a load of limp-loined nonsense. NOT HAPPY.

Room service was pretty average - ordered the eye fillet medium, it showed up well done.

We dropped around $1,200 at the bar and they kicked us out at about 9:30pm, we would have spent another $1,000 or so but some clown in charge decided that they didn't want the revenue. I'm currently scoping venues for a conference worth around $250k and the Hilton just got crossed off the list.

Water pressure great, but temperature control in the shower is like flying a P-38E with one engine out in a steep dive. Requires 100% focus.

Probably won't be back. Sky City and The Park Hyatt offer a much better experience - the latter for the same or a lower price.
Old Feb 15, 2023, 5:42 am

I thought the hotel was nice with great location, but the rooms need some renovation. Crack tiles on the deck among other things. As a diamond there wasn't an upgrade even though several of the bow suites were unoccupied during the stay, they did have a room ready for me at noon. I paid for a harbor view and that is what I got. I think the breakfast was in the rate. Staff was cordial.
Old Feb 15, 2023, 9:24 am
Original Poster

I always thought the location is weird in the back of a commercial complex but still close enough to everything one needs.When the hotel first opened it had exceptional food and beverage offerings by a well known celebrity chef
I still have photos of it.The Hotel became mediocre through the years and always having excuses why they couldn’t upgrade Diamonds
Only once was I ever upgraded as I had arrived around midnight and all rooms were sold out
Received the Presidential suite which was fantastic.Heard they made the suite into more rooms and took it out of inventory
The one most consistent thing they have always been consistent at is overpricing and price gouging.
The hotel was tired last I was there.They must hate having to compete now with The Park Hyatt.Has to make it somewhat harder to overprice their room inventory
Hope the Hilton Auckland remediated all their mold and water damage when their roof leaked years ago.
shillard likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2024, 11:02 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

I am here now; and I am not impressed.

This is the view from my room:

I was never offered two coupons for drinks.

Checked in to the Hilton Auckland. No lounge. Not upgraded. Full breakfast is an extra $10.00 New Zealand. I was forced to valet park for $55 New Zealand. The hotel is located out on a wharf; so not ideally convenient to the central part of the city. Totally not worth 60,000 points - let alone the approximately $350.00 they wanted in United States dollars.
Old Jan 31, 2024, 12:33 am
Original Poster

Nice cranes
I'm going to give the Park Hyatt Auckland in a few months a shot have heard nice things mostly.
Old Jan 31, 2024, 1:02 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Because my car was already valet parked, I thought I would try the Fish restaurant in the hotel.

They could not accommodate me for dinner. At 8:00 in the evening. The restaurant was open and not crowded. They said that downstairs has very good food.

Perhaps they do. If you want bar bites and not an actual dinner.

I am posting this at a restaurant 20 minutes away from the hotel.
Old Jan 31, 2024, 4:17 am

Programs: QFF LTG , HHD
Fish used to be very good and so was the Hilton Auckland breakfast. We are back there at the end of the year, so we'll find out what it's like now, I guess. There are plenty of very decent restaurants within easy walking distance of the hotel. Loved Ahi almost opposite the Ferry Terminal building.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.