FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hilton | Hilton Honors (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors-417/)
-   -   Hilton Auckland {NZL} (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors/417772-hilton-auckland-nzl.html)

777 global mile hound Jan 28, 2002 10:06 pm

Hilton Auckland {NZL}

Greetings all Trying to decide between this and the Sheraton for an upcoming stay.
Any input regarding stay experience? Including information not limited to location, upgrade satisfaction and the overall experience regarding accomodations and service is greatly appreciated.
Will be sharing my trip report with a publication I contribute to on a regular basis.Plan to tour as many of the properties time permitting I can during my stay.
Thanks for your valuable input
Happy Travels All

------------------
AA & Starwood,Marriott Platinum
Diamond Hyatt, Hilton Diamond
Club Swiss Gold,Radisson Elite
U/A 1 K

[This message has been edited by 777 global mile hound (edited 02-09-2002).]

mad_atta Feb 8, 2002 6:05 am

That one's a no-brainer - go for the Hilton. The Sheraton has nice customer service but is not the most inspiring of hotels, with quite dated rooms in various shades of brown. Comfortable, sure, but not uplifting, and slightly away from the action.

The Hilton is brand new, boutique style, on a wharf sticking out into the sea, and styled like an ocean liner. Lovely rooms and very stylish, plus the usual friendly NZ service. I stayed on an award in December, and they upgraded us to a harbour view room. Very central location too, and right next to the Viaduct Basin / Americas Cup Village development with lots of bars and restaurants.

There's some more info on Auckland hotels in this link. Hope this helps - and enjoy your trip to NZ!

peter42 Feb 8, 2002 6:18 am

I would recommend the Hyatt locationwis, as their rooms are nicer than the dark brown Hilton rooms and they have a RC, whereas the Hilton did not have an exectuive floor. The Sheraton is way out and the check in stuff was very unhelpful. SO my vote goes for the Hyatt.

mario33 Feb 9, 2002 7:06 am

I was in Auckland just a week before the Hilton opened its doors.

Stayed at the Hyatt, which is a very old property but I would say the location is much better than the Sheraton.

Although I didnt stay at the Hilton, I would say that its probably the best place to stay in Auckland. The building looks pretty impressive and has a water front location at the harbour.

I would definitely stay at the Hilton the next time I visit Auckland.

777 global mile hound Feb 9, 2002 7:29 am

The Hilton it is...... I am sold!!
That will be my work base in Auckland.Sounds very good.The wonder of Flyer Talk.
Thank you for all your feedback.One can not get this insight reading a travel book!!!!
Cheers!!!!

mad_atta Feb 9, 2002 11:47 pm

Happy to help - I hope you have an enjoyable stay in NZ.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by 777 global mile hound:
Will be sharing my trip report with a publication I contribute to on a regular basis.</font>
Will you be sharing it with us as well? There are so few NZ trip reports that it's always a treat to find one.

777 global mile hound Feb 10, 2002 7:50 am

It would be my pleasure!!
Thank you for asking!As long as you realize I just deliver information . And hand it over to a professional writer who edits my information/contribution.So it will be as I've done here in the past a personal trip report not professional!
You brought up a very good point.
There are some wonderful helpful posts regarding Sydney and Melbourne but not a lot of easily available info on Auckland.My information will concentrate mostly on properties in the 48 hours plus I will be there and then move directly on to Melbourne.I can feel my jet lag now.
Glad it will be worse on the return so I may think!!!
Greetings to you in Sydney what a fantastic place to be from and living in.

DerikG Feb 11, 2002 8:01 am

I stayed at the Hilton just before this past Christmas with my wife for four nights and had a great time.

It is very modern looking and in its design and has a W hotel feel to it (trendy / hip) We would def. go back there when we are back in Auckland. It has a nice location on the water with plenty of Restuarants and bars in the area.

We asked and rec. an upgrade to a corner room on the 5th floor I believe. Very nice.

Note - ask for a a room higher up on the water side - preference a corner room if available. The downside to a lower room is the fact that Cruise ships dock on the water side and lower floors will have their views obstructed.

Overall a great place - take the ferry over to Waiheke (sp) for the day and rent a car to cruise around or hit the beach - a great escape.

ec336 Oct 13, 2002 8:58 pm

Hilton Auckland question

Hi,

I am going to New Zealand in May, and I was looking at the Hilton Auckland (perhaps reward stay). Has anyone been there? Any feedback about the hotel, such as location, amenities, etc. would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

gwade Oct 13, 2002 9:57 pm

Just stayed there on a 4 night SS6 in September. Since I have only been there that one time, I cannot compare the room I got to any others, but I was given a harbor view room on the 7th (high) floor. It was not a suite, but it was a very nicely appointed room, with a very large balcony. (Could fit a BBQ with the 2 person table they give you). The bathroom was one of the best I've had in a standard hotel room. Full shower stall with a very large tub. Overall, a very nice room. I was also given discounted breakfast of some kind. (No coupons, but I didn't pay full price for the full buffet...) Location is wonderful on Prince Wharf and is a very short walk to Viaduct Harbor where all the America's Cup Yacht's are berths. I imagine it's a pretty cool time out there right now with all the sailing action.

Overall, very nice and enjoy your stay!

das Oct 13, 2002 11:03 pm

I stayed there back in July. I'm Hilton Gold and had to BEG for 4pm checkout and had to explicitly ask for breakfast coupons and a room upgrade.

That said, it's a very new, boutique-style hotel. It looks like a cruise ship from the outside and the rooms are really nicely appointed.

I can't say enough good things about the quality of the physical property, but I'm still baffled why they gave a Gold member so much hassle over checking out at 4pm on a Sunday (when they admitted they were NOT full). They finally caved when they got sick of me complaining.

The breakfast room overlooks the harbor and the buffet is absolutley superb.

I'd stay there again in a heartbeat.

Spider Dec 15, 2002 9:05 pm

Hilton Auckland

Does anyone know if the new Hilton at AKL has buffet restaurant or is it just a la carte? I couldn't find enough info about this on their website.

TravelLover Dec 16, 2002 11:05 am

When I stayed at the Hilton Auckland in March it was a buffet.

DerikG Dec 16, 2002 12:07 pm

Don't know about the breakfast - but do request an upper floor (corner if available) on the harbor side for a nice view of the water and working harbor. The upper floor b/c cruise ships might dock and obstruct lower floors view.

Derik

JerseySlime May 28, 2003 2:21 pm

What Kind of Award/Diamond Upgrade Room at AKL Hilton?

I will be in Auckland from 12-15 Feb 2004. Considering using 65,000 HH points (Select versus 75,000 Cat 3 after 1 June) for 3 nights at the AKL Hilton. What kind of room could I expect to have reserved for me as an award room and what kind of upgrade could I expect, if any, as a Diamond? Thanks.