Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Auckland {NZL}

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2012, 6:58 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
Originally Posted by margarita girl
Originally Posted by sannmann

As an HHonors Gold, I got free water, free wi-fi internet, free drink vouchers for the bar each night, and the excellent free breakfast in the hotel restaurant.
I also have Gold status. Do you have to choose breakfast as your hotel benefit to get the free breakfast or does the property automatically offer it?

Also, it appears a taxi to the hotel will be quite expensive. Is there an airport shuttle service we can use? There will be 2 of us with one checked bag each.

TIA
I took the Airbus service from the airport to Britomart and then walked the few blocks from there to the hotel.

I do have breakfast listed as my Hilton MyWay benefit in my HHonors profile.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 3:01 pm

Location: In between BRU, BSL , AOI and the rest of the world
Programs: BAEC Gold, LX Sen, HH Diamond, SPG Plat, MR Silver
Great 3 nights stay, last August, on a cash and points award rate. We had asked for an early check in. After a (very) long flight from Europe, our room, was waiting for us when we checked-in few minuets before 10 am. We got an upgraded room on the executive floor, with a large balcony , sun chairs and a very nice harbor view. Large breakfast selection, complimentary thanks to status, including the cooked selections . Good supply of complimentary mineral bottles, but the red wine offered as a welcome present was not a good advertising for NZ. Limited but much better quality choice (and decent food to) at the bar, where we used the complimentary drink vouchers (1 x person x night) as no lounge at this Hotel. Hotel very well located on the harbor and a short walk from the ferry terminal. Thanks to a gorgeous sunny "wintery" day (> 20C) , we particularly enjoyed the ferry + coach tour to the Waiheke island (and the local food and wine). Some restaurants within walking distance from the Hotel, but due to jet lag , we eventually stayed in the hotel all evenings.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Just completed a 3 night stay at this hotel, and kept getting progressively better rooms. Stayed Oct 20-22 and 24-25 (with a side trip to Rotorua in between). Our first room was not very good as the hotel was sold out due to Triathlon in the city. But they promised a better room for the second night, and we got a much larger room on the 2nd night (2nd floor right next to the Bow Suite) so great balcony facing the water. We thought we were limited because of our request for a room with 2 beds.

So when we returned on the 24th and they said we had been upgraded to Bow Suite, I started to turn it down, but they had rearraged the beds from one king to 2 singles. ^ Amazing suite (4th floor) and fantastic view at sunset.

(I'd be happy to post some photos if someone told me how.)

As previous posters have stated, Gold treatment was excellent. Bottle of wine and chocolates waiting for us on our first night plus excellent breakfast buffet and 2 free drinks per night.

Also ate in Fish Restaurant. Prices were very steep, but I made an excellent meal by ordering 3 sides at 8 NZD each. (Since I'm vegetarian, I ordered a salad, the black bean tofu and rice dish (which was outstanding), and a side of vegetables. I had plenty to eat for a mere 24 NZD, plus we had picked up our complimentary wine from Bellini's wine before going to the restaurant. (By comparison, the black bean tofu entree was 30 NZD.)
Old Dec 23, 2012, 7:02 pm

Stayed around Thanksgiving last month as a Diamond redeeming points.

Arrival

Rented a car from the airport, with built in GPS, and was easily directed to the hotel. The GPS does not recognize the exact hotel, as the hotel is inwards towards the Ship terminal, and you have to drive through the parking garage (press for ticket, and keep the ticket). Best is enter the intersection of Quay St and Lower Hobson St.

Check in was smooth, was upgraded to the harbour view room (not on the highest floor). Given 2 drink coupons for each night to be used at the lobby bar. Upon entry, found ourselves with a bottle of sparkling wine with fruit and chocolate dessert for out anniversary. I had mentioned it in my reservation comments.

Hotel

Service was great, especially at the bar. Bartender made good drinks. There is a separate menu for usage of the drink coupons which includes a variety of local beer and wine. Breakfast was a full buffet with a chef at an egg station for custom egg orders. I only had to sign a slip one of the days and not the others.

Valet only parking, but was convenient with parking just outside. You have to keep the stub when you enter to go towards the hotel. Upon exit, you present them with both the stub and the valet ticket for them to waive you out. Make sure to have both as we were sent back once when we didnt have the Hilton stub. Small gym, but seems clean and functional. Bathroom was good with Peter Thomas Roth amenities. Free water in the room, replenished daily. You can also pick up some bottles during the breakfast as they are stocked in a self serve mini-fridge.

There were two days when a cruise ship docked next door. Usually comes early in the morning and departs early evening. The view is completely block from that side of the hotel, but not a big deal if you are usually going to be out during the day anyways. They always leave a letter explaining the times and reminding you to draw the curtains at night for when the ship arrives in the morning.

Surroundings

We use to drive all over, not a problem with GPS. There are great islands to visit through the ferry terminal just up on the street. Hotel is very convenient. Walk around downtown for restaurants and bars. The walk from the hotel to the street is about 3-4 mins, where the ferry terminal is. Lots of restaurants around to choose. Seems very safe to walk, although we didnt venture out too late in the night.

Overall, a great hotel, IMO. Clear diamond recognition with staff going above and beyond to make it a special anniversary stay.

Old Mar 21, 2013, 6:38 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Mucci Champion des Champions, BAG4L, *A Gold, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz Gold, Avis President
Recently stayed here for a weekend. Very efficient and friendly front desk staff and we were upgraded to a Grand King Harbour view room which was very nice. The hotel is expensive but I guess you are paying for the location which is great and there are plenty of bars and restaurants in the area.

We weren't given our drinks vouchers when we checked in but managed to snag a couple from the front desk.

We ate in the hotel restaurant and I have to say it was very disappointing. We were dumped in a dark corner of the restaurant and left alone for almost 1/2 hour. The service was awful, the food average and very expensive.

Breakfast wasn't a lot better as there were hoards of young children treating the dining room like a play area. Ate a quick breakfast and left, didn't bother the next day.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 2:33 pm

Programs: Hyatt: Diamond, HHonors: Diamond, SPG: Gold
Recent Review (7/18/13 stay)

Stayed here with Mrs. Wanderlustre last month.

PROS
+ Great location - you're very close to Food Alley, which is probably the best dining option in Auckland
+ Nice, clean rooms - was upgraded to a King Harbor as a gold member
+ A good business hotel

CONS
- Room & hotel are so-so, this is a good business hotel, but not much else
- Breakfast was pretty lacking - I was pretty surprised given how good food is in NZ.
- Parking is expensive

For anyone staying here, I recommend the Super Shuttle - drops you off at the hotel - it cost $43 NZD for two people, but the price goes down pp with each additional person you add.

FWIW I'd have to agree with above commenters on Auckland - it's like a more boring Sydney, which itself is just so-so minus the food. Personally I'd skip this place and fly straight to Queenstown.

Review with pictures for anyone interested: http://theselfishyears.com/2013/08/0...nd-food-alley/
If you do stay here, make sure to check out Food Alley for cheap/delicious Asian food: http://theselfishyears.com/2013/08/0...in-auckland-2/
Old Dec 12, 2013, 2:05 pm

Programs: VA Platinum, SQ Gold, TK Gold, Hhonors Gold, Accor Plus Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Premium
I checked in as a Gold member a few weeks back. The letter below was in the room and summarises the benefits provided to Gold members.

In addition we were upgraded from a harbour view room to a harbour view deluxe room (whatever that means) and there was a chilled bottle of NZ white wine in the room waiting for us.

Our (upgraded) room wasn't ready when we checked in at about 4pm so they provided us with a drink at the bar while we waited - just 15 mins or so. I appreciated the upgrade as it is subject to availability, so I guess it was within their rights to just keep us in the original paid for room. (Unless they were sold out?)

It's a smaller Hilton property so you need to consider that. There is no executive lounge (hence the drink vouchers) the breakfast isn't the biggest spread I've seen at a Hilton but it's still very good with a range of hot and cold options, a few unique choices I've not seen elsewhere (tiny little smoothies etc) and espresso coffee.

The location is excellent close to downtown work locations, shopping and restaurants, service was friendly and the bar has a great outlook.

On the negative side it's quite expensive (but that's NZ), the balcony which runs along a lot of the harbour view rooms seems to attract smokers so we frequently had cigarette smoke wafting into the room (despite it being a non-smoking property) and a cruise ship pulled in at the next wharf - it didn't block the view at all but it did run it's big engines 24x7 which meant we had to sleep with our windows closed to block out the noise.

I caught the Airbus Express bus from the airport. $16 and about 50 mins running every 10 mins or so during the day. It was a great service and stops just a few minutes away from the hotel.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 9:36 am

Hilton Auckland Hotel ( New Zealand )

Can someone please help me and let me know the best way to get to the property from the AKL airport?
Old Feb 20, 2014, 9:55 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
The extensive thread about this hotel has instructions for using the airbus (particularly post # 167).
Old Feb 20, 2014, 10:36 am

Originally Posted by JDiver
The extensive thread about this hotel has instructions for using the airbus (particularly post # 167).
Darn it, I used the Search function and nothing turned up
Thanks for the link.
Old Feb 22, 2014, 7:50 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I stayed here a few days ago for a night, I recommend it. I booked a regular king room using a Citi Reserve free weekend night. Diamond status got me upgraded to a 6th floor Bow suite.

Very nice suite, a little weird shaped, but beautiful views. As others have mentioned, no lunge, so they give you two drink coupons to use at the bar between 5:30 p.m. and 8:30 p.m.

She told me I could have breakfast buffet in the restaurant, she also mentioned that I could have breakfast in the room, I didn't clarify whether breakfast in the room would be free, as I had to leave the next morning at 6 a.m.

Paid $90 each way in a metered taxi (ouch).
Old Feb 22, 2014, 7:58 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jphripjah
I stayed here a few days ago for a night, I recommend it. I booked a regular king room using a Citi Reserve free weekend night. Diamond status got me upgraded to a 6th floor Bow suite.

Very nice suite, a little weird shaped, but beautiful views. As others have mentioned, no lunge, so they give you two drink coupons to use at the bar between 5:30 p.m. and 8:30 p.m.

She told me I could have breakfast buffet in the restaurant, she also mentioned that I could have breakfast in the room, I didn't clarify whether breakfast in the room would be free, as I had to leave the next morning at 6 a.m.

Paid $90 each way in a metered taxi (ouch).
there's a flat rate taxi in town about 30 each way less than half the price!
called discount taxi
Old Feb 22, 2014, 8:46 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jphripjah
Diamond status got me upgraded to a 6th floor Bow suite.

Very nice suite, a little weird shaped, but beautiful views.
You do realise why it's called a 'Bow Suite?'
Old Nov 26, 2014, 3:26 pm

Programs: NZ Elite; QF Platinum; CZ Gold; MU Platinum; Marriott Titanium; Accor Platinum
Why is this hotel consistently more expensive than other AKL hotels?

Just curious, does anyone know why this hotel is consistently about 50% more expensive than other 5 star hotels in Auckland?

For example, for a stay next week Hilton on trivago is NZ$527, Sofitel $306 and SkyCity Grand $279

This same pattern happens most of the time.

Given the dated nature of the rooms compared certainly to the Sofitel, maybe its just a question of what they can get away with and the international nature of the Hilton brand that people from overseas assume its better than it is?
Old Nov 26, 2014, 9:35 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt
Original Poster

Originally Posted by oranjemakker
Just curious, does anyone know why this hotel is consistently about 50% more expensive than other 5 star hotels in Auckland?

For example, for a stay next week Hilton on trivago is NZ$527, Sofitel $306 and SkyCity Grand $279

This same pattern happens most of the time.

Given the dated nature of the rooms compared certainly to the Sofitel, maybe its just a question of what they can get away with and the international nature of the Hilton brand that people from overseas assume its better than it is?
Its a matter of supply and demand with the Hilton leveraging the strength of the brand and program.People are obviously dumb enough to pay for it
So overcharge they will.
I would run to the Sofitel in a heartbeat which is a vastly better property IMHO.
I think the overcharging of the Hilton will change somewhat when the 5 Star Park Hyatt opens in 2015.
They can no longer fake a 5 star hotel property in pricing to the unknown when a true luxury property opens
The Hilton Auckland will likely be the 3 to 4 star they truly reflect.Like the hotel for what it is but the pricing is a joke as you have observed

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.