Search

Hilton Auckland {NZL}

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2010, 11:45 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt
Original Poster

Any recent Diamond experiences all?
Negative Positive?
Booked but ready to switch to the renovated Hyatt or the very nice Westin if needed
Thanks
Old Feb 9, 2010, 1:53 am
Original Poster

bump
I think everyone has left Hilton after the devaluation not one reply
At least wait till I redeem whats left of my points
Old Feb 12, 2010, 1:07 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Some of the best view rooms are currently unavailable due to leaks.

NZ Herald
Old Feb 12, 2010, 2:31 pm

Location: In between BRU, BSL , AOI and the rest of the world
Programs: BAEC Gold, LX Sen, HH Diamond, SPG Plat, MR Silver
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Some of the best view rooms are currently unavailable due to leaks.

NZ Herald
Thanks (again) Kiwi Flyier. Booked with the January sale for a short we in May (last stay in NZ before heading back home via Melbourne area) Hopefully it will be repaired. Was looking forward to one of the nice view rooms on the upper floor. I'll keep my finger crossed.
Old Feb 17, 2010, 12:15 am
Original Poster

I am booked there in March and now kicking myself for not booking the Westin
There is also the possibility of mold in the hotel which is a health risk to stay there
Thanks for the heads up ^

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; Feb 17, 2010 at 7:28 pm
Old Feb 18, 2010, 10:57 pm

Programs: AS, HH, UA, IHG
Not exactly recent...

Mrs. O'mal and I stayed one night at the Aukland Hilton in March 2009 after a canceled CHC-AKL flight caused us to miss our connection to LAX. Arranged the award stay while waiting for the later flight, about 3 hours prior to arrival.
Not only did we get a Bow Suite, but it was the first floor and the deck was essentally half the hotel footprint. Breakfast was stated as the standard continental but waitress gave us access to the full buffet for no additional charge.
Desk, bell and concierge staff very helpful and positive. The hotel itself is a bit of a walk down the pier from town but the view makes up for it. One of the best Hilton stays I've had and finally had a good upgrade when I was not traveling alone. We are planning to stay here next year although the Diamond upgrade probably won't be as great.
Old Feb 20, 2010, 1:34 pm

Programs: BA GGL, TK*G EL, KL P ELPL, ex AB P, ex LH/LX Sen, HHonors D4L, Bonvoy P
Just a very recent update on the Auckland situation. I've stay in both the Hilton and the Westin this month. In both hotels I booked the cheapest room with king-size bed available on the internet. And this is what I got:

Hilton
As a Diamond VIP I got a free upgrade to the Bow Suite - which was slightly impaired by the renovation work. But nothing major, just bathroom windows were covered by a permanent blind. Still, the Bow Suite and especially its balcony are fantastic. I also got a free continental breakfast buffet in White's, but would have had to pay an additional NZD 10 for the full buffet. I didn't get any other amenities, such as a fruit platter to the room. Bottom line: I got exactly what I'm entitled to as a Diamond VIP, but nothing more.

Westin
As (lowly) SPG Gold I got a free upgrade to the Deluxe Room, which is about the size of the Bow Suite, but only with a very small balcony. The room, like the entire hotel, looked newer, fresher. Obviously, I was charged NZD 25 for the continental breakfast (nobody ever promised free breakfast for SPG Gold), but I was given the promised late check-out.

Bottom line: Both stays were absolutely fine and I got everything I was entitled to. I'd rate the Westin slightly higher, unless you really have a lot of spare time to enjoy the Bow Suite balcony. However, given the proximity of the findings, price is a valid argument for both - neither one is really worth a much higher price.
Old Feb 20, 2010, 5:08 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the great trip report/update swiss global
My concern staying at the Hilton is mold its a health hazard and you cant see it or smell it when it gets inside a building where water or moisture has entered.I have a friend whose family member who claims they developed a form of cancer after exposure.They too had a similar problem in their home.
Jut curious
Who had a better breakfast Westin or Hilton
and how substantial would you say the leaks are in the building?
Thanks for the feedback
Old Feb 21, 2010, 12:48 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK*G EL, KL P ELPL, ex AB P, ex LH/LX Sen, HHonors D4L, Bonvoy P
Well, not that I'm an expert - but most species of mold can be spotted. I didn't see any. Probably the danger is also greater if you live in house which is affected for 300 plus days a year ... As it looks they have torn down the entire facade and already built up a new one. This exercise should be completed in reasonable time.

I found both breakfast buffets about the same. The cheese board was a bit better at Hilton, but Westin had the better wholemeal bread ... bottom line the same.

I really think for my future stays I will go by price, as the pros and cons really balance somehow.
Old Feb 21, 2010, 12:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by swiss_global
Well, not that I'm an expert - but most species of mold can be spotted. I didn't see any. Probably the danger is also greater if you live in house which is affected for 300 plus days a year ... As it looks they have torn down the entire facade and already built up a new one. This exercise should be completed in reasonable time.

I found both breakfast buffets about the same. The cheese board was a bit better at Hilton, but Westin had the better wholemeal bread ... bottom line the same.

I really think for my future stays I will go by price, as the pros and cons really balance somehow.
Appreciate the feedback
You raise some good points though when mold growns in interior walls in a building that has leaks sometimes sections can go undetected
I had some mold in my living room when my neighbor had a flood
If they hadn't opened the wall I clearly would have been at risk.The original inspector said I had no problem however a bright friend didn't take that assessment as the final word
Probably ok at the hotel for a night or two I suppose
Did you dine at the Hilton other then breakfast?
Old Feb 21, 2010, 5:10 pm

Yes, I had dinner at the White restaurant in Hilton, but not in Westin, therefore I can't compare.

The dinner in White was very nice, rather expensive compared to other NZ restaurants, but normal compared to international levels. I had some seafood, which is the obvious choice in Auckland, but some other people had lamb and also liked it. I had the impression most of the diners where not hotel guests, which is generally a good signal.
Old Feb 23, 2010, 7:36 pm

Programs: DJ, QF, SPG, Hilton
Leaky hotel shuts best rooms

Guests have been barred from rooms at one of New Zealand's top hotels until big leak repairs are finished.

The $570-a-night Hilton Auckland on Princes Wharf needs fixing to stop water penetrating walls.
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/accommodat...ectid=10625915
Old Feb 23, 2010, 10:04 pm
Original Poster

I caved in today and rebooked at the Westin the fact is that I planned my trip to get away from my own leaking roof and leaking sliding doors in my brand new condo
The last thing I want this week is construction or the potential for mold exposure while traveling
Old Feb 26, 2010, 8:06 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by swiss_global
I booked the cheapest room with king-size bed available on the internet. And this is what I got:

Hilton
As a Diamond VIP I got a free upgrade to the Bow Suite - which was slightly impaired by the renovation work. But nothing major, just bathroom windows were covered by a permanent blind. Still, the Bow Suite and especially its balcony are fantastic. I also got a free continental breakfast buffet in White's, but would have had to pay an additional NZD 10 for the full buffet. I didn't get any other amenities, such as a fruit platter to the room. Bottom line: I got exactly what I'm entitled to as a Diamond VIP, but nothing more.
Um, I don't see how an upgrade to the best room in the hotel, a massive suite, is "nothing more" than what you're entitled to! There is never an entitlement to a suite with HHonors. IME, Hilton Auckland generally gives rooms on the view side as the upgrade. Getting the Bow Suite is a rare treat, especially for free.

Plus you got upgraded to the full breakfast (even if not by the front desk). Again, rather rare IME.
Old Feb 26, 2010, 9:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by anabolism
Um, I don't see how an upgrade to the best room in the hotel, a massive suite, is "nothing more" than what you're entitled to! There is never an entitlement to a suite with HHonors. IME, Hilton Auckland generally gives rooms on the view side as the upgrade. Getting the Bow Suite is a rare treat, especially for free.

Plus you got upgraded to the full breakfast (even if not by the front desk). Again, rather rare IME.
I agree you beat me to posting.However there are other programs without a major devaluation that do it all.Glad to see Swiss Global was taken care of
Wonder how others are faring and if is any indicator the property is working harder to exceed expectations.As a Diamond paying for two rooms I received
the basic harbor view room some time ago.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.