Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Auckland {NZL}

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2005, 10:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I stayed there & would certainly stay there again. No exec lounge or bkfst, but in every other way I liked the hotel & have recommended it to a # of people. Definitely try for a room near end of pier.

I did a more detailed report on the hotel in my New Zealand trip report, but am too lazy to search for the link. You can though - I haven't written that many in Trip Reports, so just pull it up by my handle. The other info on that same trip report might come in handy as I provided lots of details on an 11-day stay that incorporated both islands.

Cheers.
Old Nov 5, 2005, 4:28 am

Programs: QF-LTS & P, SQ-TPPS, IC-RA, HH-D, *wood G, Others
Hilton Auckland

Just had a few nights at Hilton AKL. Great staff, recognised and upgraded as a gold (slightly bigger room at end of floor, free breakfast and 2 free cocktails a day at the bar which looks over the harbour to Devenport. Hotel doesn't have an executive floor.

The hotel is built on a pier and meant to look like a ship.

I had a couple of gripes (like only one treadmill in gym) and filled feedback for GM. Was VERY impressed to receive an email from him in response today.

I have stayed at Hyatt AKL exclusively for past 12 years or so, changed to Hilton due to lousy Hyatt policies over past recent times and the fact I don't really know anyone there any more (or vice versa). Will go back to Hilton.
Old Nov 6, 2005, 1:22 am

I love this property! If only the NZ dollar weren't so strong it would actually be reasonable to stay there again. Or should I say, if the US dollar wasn't so weak.

Seriously tho', forgetting about the currency, I stayed there many times last year for less then half of what they're asking for now (in NZ currency). And it doesn't seem to be seasonal either.

$445 NZD is not worth it for this propery, even as nice as it is.
Old Nov 6, 2005, 1:29 am

Wow. That is expensive. I paid about half that last week.
Old Nov 10, 2005, 2:19 am
Lis

Hmm, interesting. I stayed at this property earlier in the year and had a pretty poor stay experience. Mind you, as infoworks mentioned, feedback passed on to the general manager yielded me a complimentary stay (which I did end up flying back over to NZ to use).

Unfortunately I received no Gold benefits and many of the problems I experienced the first time around were replicated.

Anyhoo, I agree that $415 a night is a bit pricey but I'd probably stay there just once more to see if they could get it right?

And also snaps to the management for trying really hard to keep me loyal!
Old Nov 10, 2005, 6:55 am

Programs: QF Gold, VA Red, SQ, HH Silver, Marriott Gold.
Was thinking of staying next week on my visit to Auckland. Whilst it may be a busy week for them rates of over NZD400 are way over the top for a hotel in Auckland.
Old Nov 10, 2005, 7:26 am

I called Hilton Reservations in Oz and got a "Cruise Package" rate - They use the nautical terms for the obvious loacation/look marketing blah blah - and it was better than the corporate rates I can get, included the 2 cocktails per night and they confirmed my upgrade as part of the booking. It was competitive with the Hyatt Club floor offering as well as a couple of other rates.
Old Nov 10, 2005, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Good on you; my last stay there as a silver on a NZ$175 HPC "Exclusive Room rate", they simply gave me a room at the northern end of the floor.

Other reports indicate they historically had not really been doing much extra for golds, so perhaps they have had a philisophical change.
Old Nov 10, 2005, 8:23 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plt, US Gld
I've stayed there twice and had a fantastic stay both times. A cruise ship pulled up immediately outside the window - quite a view.

The restaurant "White" is simply outstanding and I received a status upgrade on an award room. Agree it's pricey, hence the use of points.

Have also stayed at the Hyatt. Certainly a different atmosphere, but a very nice hotel nonetheless and considerably easier on the wallet.
Old Nov 12, 2005, 3:01 am

Programs: mp diamond, qf plat, royal amb, hh diamond, spg plat, hyatt diamond
having spent considerable number of nights now at the said hotel and mostly at the apartment, including right at this moment as i am typing this reply, have only ever received just the single drink voucher for the whole stay (usually 20 days at a time) + free breakfast each time.

looks like the freebies are linked to room cost rather than one's gold or diamond level.

admittedly the price of my reservations are considerably less than the advertised rate. =p
Old Nov 24, 2005, 1:37 am
DJC

Programs: AC - Super Elite, AA - Platinum, DL - Basic, HHonors - Gold, SPG - Platinum, Fairmont - Gold
I thought the setting of the hotel was spectacular and, in terms of style, it struck me as being very "W-like" (and I cannot recall another Hilton that was so similar in style and presentation to a W).

That being said, I had all sorts of discrepancies on my bill. My reservation was for one free night using a rewards certificate and one paid night. The first version of my bill showed charges of NZD 285 a night and the desk clerk on check-out said that there was no record of my using a certificate (even though the clerk on check-in expressly stated that was the case). Then, when one night's charge was dropped, the rate for the other night shot up to NZD 385. That issue is unresolved since I had stupidly forgotten to bring the rate confirmation with me but I do wonder how the rate can just change like that.

My overall experience was that the staff were quite "cold" and could do a little to improve that side of things. The rooms, however, have spectacular views and are quite comfortable (if a little too 70s rumpus room-like for my tastes with all of the wood panelling).
Old Nov 24, 2005, 1:49 am

The December Australian Aviation Magazine has an article on the NZ 777 and a spectacular pic of it superimposed in front of the Hilton - harbourside looking towards the city - looks spectacular. Their website http://www.ausaviation.com.au/Online...tentsindex.htm has a pic near onehunga, but not the nice photo in the mag!
Old Nov 25, 2005, 4:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I stayed on an award stay before & the entire experience was good! I'd stay there again (perhaps hoping for a bit less than $415 rate) & have recommended it many times to others. Love White, the restaurant. When I was there the health club had more than one treadmill; maybe one being repaired? I went into more details on my stay there in a trip report I posted (too lazy to find the url, but it's in the TripReports forum; search under my handle). Cheers.
Old Nov 25, 2005, 5:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BD, QF, QR/EY/GF & HH Gold/SPG, Hertz#1G
Has anyone tried to book this hotel with their Diamond Club 50% off voucher, on the back of a QF birthday fare? A visit for the weekend would be a 'noice' change, as long as the QF metal is OK and on-time ;0
Old Nov 25, 2005, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by BiziBB
Has anyone tried to book this hotel with their Diamond Club 50% off voucher, on the back of a QF birthday fare? A visit for the weekend would be a 'noice' change, as long as the QF metal is OK and on-time ;0
I have used both the $66 special rate and $175 Diamond Club vouchers there. I alos had a further booking for $175, but had to cancel.

I have not used the $270 50% voucher; but I doubt you would have much problem. (BTW, It may be possible to get a cheaper rate with your standard 20% discount!)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.