Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Buenos Aires {ARG}

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2010, 7:01 am

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by Canarsie
It is in Puerto Madero within walking distance of Cabaña Las Lilas, so it is not particularly central relative to Buenos Aires.

However, when I stayed there, I really had no problem getting around with the Hilton used as a base. I even walked to the Marriott near Florida Street from the Hilton and back.
We do like the location and the ambiance of Puerto Madero, although we don't know Buenos Aires at all. A lot of other restaurants are within walking distance in the old restored dock buildings - even a Hooters, although Mrs. Fredd and I arrived at a consensus not to patronize it, instead enjoying several meals at Carletto's, literally at the back door of the Hilton. It's also within walking distance of the Casa Rosada. You can see it from the balcony of that "presidential suite" that is serving as the temporary lounge and watch the president's helicopter arrive and depart from time to time.

Of course taxis are still quite cheap compared to many other places in the world and readily available so you can get anywhere without a lot of expense.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 12:38 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
We are about to leave for EZE after a several-day stay; we have been guests at this property enough times we are recognized by several staff on arrival. Here's how our visit this time varied from those described previously:

We arrived early morning (9:00 or so) and though we were intercepted and referred to the front desk (long queues and two or three people in the HHonors queue to the right of the main desk) we took the elevator to the 8th floor, where the Executive Lounge staff still has their desk, and checked in with Melina (iirc). She is the most helpful of those we encountered - some of who were not helpful at all. We are on a Senior Citizen rate. (N.B. We met folks who stayed, moved to the Marriott and were dissatisfied; they were told the Senior Citizen rate was not available - "sold out" - at the front desk, but found it quite easily on the Internet site and booked their continued stay there.)

Checkin here was expeditiously handled and we were assigned room 840. The room is pretty standard, same size as normal rooms, but on one of two Executive level floors, 8 and 9. The usual safe, stand-alone amenities of local manufacture, large towels, safe, 110-220V shaving outlet and 220VAC outlets otherwise. The desk has an Australian type outlet with two slanted prongs and third fixed blade, as well as a multi-outlet that handles Euro, Shucko and American plugs. Lighting is quite sufficient, and #840 has views of the Sarmiento naval vessel and boring out-of-the-mold Calatrava "women's" bridge (so-called merely because all the streets in Pto. Madero are named after women.)

Extra Diamond amenities - no letter, a small dish with four candies, a bottle of still water and a bottle of effervescent water, one bathrobe.) This was what we were offered for our declared 44th anniversary trip to Bs As.) Our request today for late checkout had to be denied, as the second group of a large supermarket convention from Quebec was arriving. Coffee and tea? In the room, ARG 10 (approximately USD 3.00) each! Expensive minibar available of course. Best option: up the ship basin to your right as you look out on the basin is a "25 hours a day" or such minimart, with water, etc. much cheaper than here.

The Executive Lounge continues to occupy temporary quarters in the normal Presidential suite - two HSIA computers, only one of which actually connected to the Internet as of Friday, access with your keycard, during usual hours offers a television, still and effervescent waters, sodas and a bucket of ice.

Breakfast (opens at 7:00 AM weekdays, 7:30 weekends) is buffet, with many breads, pancakes, very homogenized liquidy scrambled eggs, bacon and sausages, fruits, spreads, coffees, teas, cheeses, salmon, etc. At about 3:00 PM / 1500 hrs, desserts are served - today a "red fruits mousse cake" and other offering. Tea and coffee are always available.

Evenings "happy hour" "tea" begins at 6:00 with additions of local wines (malbec, chardonnay and a bubbly) as well as beers if you request them. They also offer plates of varied hors d'oeuvres, as well as empanadas (those little things that resemble pasties) in a variety or two, or sometimes fried spring-like rolls.

Smokers may use the terrace outside. The bathroom is the master bedroom suite bathroom, no paper towels, only common cloth ones shared by all.

Service in the Lounge is seriously underwhelming - whereas in the usual lounge staff are often front and center, here they "hide" in the back room and only come out to occasionally replenish or to drop a chit to be signed on your table with hardly a welcoming comment. The rest of the time, staff can be heard chatting, on their cell phones or ? but not providing much service. (Spanish is my natal language, so language is not the issue - poor supervision, lack of training and don't-give-a-rat's-patootie attitude are.)

The lounge is still being refurbished - much hammering and chiseling go on most of the working day on weekdays. In fact, I strongly recommend avoiding rooms nearest the lounge if you will spend any daytime hours in as they can be noisy with the hammering and all. On the south side, that means rooms x40 on out.

The hotel is well situated in my opinion: lots of nice walking, a number of restaurants (mostly touristy expensive ones, however,) easy walk to Plaza de Mayo or anywhere in the Microcentro, or the Buequebús ferry terminal to Uruguay (Colonia del Sacramento, one hour by fast ferry or three by slow, and three hours by ferry to Montevideo). Puerto Madero has the advantage of being controlled by the police of the Naval Prefecture, and they are professional and attentive; you can go walking within Pto. Madero virtually any time night or day with impunity, not necessarily so in some parts of Buenos Aires proper.

For transport, we paid ARG 150 for a Manuel Tienda Leon remise into the hotel, and ARG 213 for a remise out to EZE. (USD 1.00 = ARG 3.86 today.) You may charge the remise to yor room, but as explained in the HHonors T&C do not expect to get HH points for it, as it is a service not provided by the hotel. Taxis are cheap, and the Premier Radiotaxis at the outside of the hotel are OK; do- beware of pirate taxis cruising by.

Executive summary: it's a good location, hotel is well maintained, lounge is OK, service is not a strength - it has slipped in my opinion, but it's not to be avoided. And when the Conrad opens nearby... one more place to stay in Pto. Madero and spend some points!

N.B. As of the first of this year, Argentine immigration at EZE international airport only - for now - is making a reciprocity charge mandatory. For Americans that's about USD $136, payable at a booth immediately before immigration, with cash or credit or debit card. The stamp in your passport allows free entry for ten years - even if your passport expires, you can bring your old passport and be admitted without any fee. And yes, this is fully a reciprocity fee - the US charges Argentines that amount for a US visa, so Argentina chose to do the same to Americans, just as Chile and Brazil chose to do some time ago. And for now, those arriving by land or at AEP / Aeroparque Jorge Newberry airport from, say, Iguaçu, Brasil, are not charged the fee, not as I understand it are you charged on departing EZE - only on arrival.

Last edited by JDiver; Aug 25, 2010 at 9:34 am Reason: update, spell check, etc.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 2:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1PMM; JetSmarter; HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by ozstamps
How central is the Hilton .. have never considered it before.
I actually like the location, it is very pleasant to walk along the canals, and plenty of places to eat nearby. Plus the taxi station right in front of the hotel means that you always have a radio taxi available to take you places.

Also, the hotel has a very pleasing look to it. It is the other things that are sooooo frustrating. A few other examples:
* Every time you use the Executive Lounge for evening snacks, someone comes around and has you sign a paper. It's not an inconvenience, but it just seems annoying. Why not just have a signup sheet at a desk? I was always paranoid that I would discover a charge on my bill for using the Executive Lounge (which given the experience of the coffee and the breakfasts would not have surprised me in the end).
* The "wine bar" has a selection of wines by the glass. When I asked to see the list (since the menu didn't list them, it just said to ask), they said they had Malbec and Chardonnay, and thats all the information they had. I get more of a wine list on a plane, and a lot more information. You would think that at a wine bar, they would at least tell you who makes this mysterious Malbec...
* Went with some colleagues to get a coffee at the coffee stand down stairs before heading to the office. Waited at the counter close to ten minutes, while the two ladies behind the counter fooled around and did other stuff. There was no recognition that a customer was waiting. We finally left after being ignored for too long.
* Had some food the last day at the wine bar ironically while I was writing my previous post. Sure enough, they got the order wrong, and delivered salmon instead of chicken.
* The last day it rained like crazy, and sure enough there was a huge puddle in the middle of the gift shop (the carpet squished and you could see the water).
* The chair to the desk was damaged, big pieces of foam on the armrest were gone, which was quite noticeable.
* I ordered room service, and was told that they were quite busy. I asked how long it would take, and they said "no more than 40 minutes". Which to me was fine, since I always assume 30 minutes anyway. I also requested a glass of ice with the meal. 1 hour and 15 minutes later, the food arrives, cold (it was supposed to be a hot meal), and without the glass of ice.
Edit: Added * I asked for a late check out, because it was raining and there wasn't much for me to do walking around in the rain. I called down around 10am and asked for a 2pm check out. The person said that they would need to check on it, and that they would call me back. They asked if I would stay in the room so that I would be there when they called, and I said yes. Sure enough, by 11:45am, still no call back. So I called again, and they said that my stay had been extended until 2pm.

I'm sure I can think of a few more little things that I encountered.

The sad thing is that this is purely a management issue. Aesthetically, location wise, etc, its a great property. But there is a complete lack of attention to the experience. For example, even the H in Hilton on the outside of the building was not lit up. Which demonstrates the oversight on the part of the management.

If the experience had started out as "I'm sorry, Mr. Oenophilist, but we do not have anything available on the Executive Level tonight, but I've put you in a really nice room that I think you'll enjoy", it would have made a huge difference. Instead, I, the customer, was made to feel guilty for even asking about the upgrade.

Last edited by oenophilist; Mar 22, 2010 at 2:25 pm Reason: Added info about late check out
Old Mar 22, 2010, 2:22 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Fredd
edited to add: Mrs. Fredd notes that we saw a price list for coffee and tea posted near the machine. We remember it because it seemed rather odd (as well as cheap), especially since we were on an Executive floor and they at least had better coffee and tea available throughout the day.
There was a sheet for the minibar, but no prices on it. I looked everywhere around the minibar for it, then looked in the desk in the hotel information. Nothing. (Although I'll admit that I only looked at the English section, not the Spanish section of the hotel information).

I asked the person in the executive floor about it when checking out, and she said that it was in the hotel information in the desk. But I couldn't find it and wasn't really going to go back and check. Note, this was the same for both rooms.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
This is pretty sad that this location has sunk this low. I've stayed there on paid and free nights before, and always had an exec floor room. Never any sign up sheet to use the exec lounge. I was always underwhelmed with the service, especially in comparison to the Sao Paolo Hilton, but it was still okay.

I have a reward stay here later this year, burning off the last of my Hilton points. If it's really this bad, I'll just earn some Hyatt free nights and stay there instead.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 4:46 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
This is pretty sad that this location has sunk this low. I've stayed there on paid and free nights before, and always had an exec floor room. Never any sign up sheet to use the exec lounge. I was always underwhelmed with the service, especially in comparison to the Sao Paolo Hilton, but it was still okay.

I have a reward stay here later this year, burning off the last of my Hilton points. If it's really this bad, I'll just earn some Hyatt free nights and stay there instead.
I cannot say that my experience is necessarily typical. In fact, going in with low expectations might result in a pleasant surprise. Still, based on this experience, I cannot recommend it right now.

That being said, almost everything that went wrong is entirely fixable.
Old Aug 17, 2010, 9:54 am
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
Would anyone who has stayed here in recent months care to post an update?

It would be much appreciated -- Mrs IMH and I are trying to decide whether or not to book a few nights here in December (with the Park Tower as our most likely alternative).
Old Aug 17, 2010, 3:38 pm

Programs: LH SEN, FB Plat., HH D.
Originally Posted by IMH

It would be much appreciated -- Mrs IMH and I are trying to decide whether or not to book a few nights here in December (with the Park Tower as our most likely alternative).
Stayed last June for 3 nights.

Nothing much to add to previous posts, except that the EL was closed under rennovation.
They offered, as an alternative, full b/fast in the restaurant.
Also two connecting rooms were adapted as a temporary EL.
At tea time(aprox 3pm to 5pm) they offered a nice cake selection. In the evening there were some snacks with 1 or 2 hot dishes, and also red/white wine,...probably also spirits but cannot remember well.
All day coffee and soft drinks available.
Also 2 computers with internet connection, but from 1st/Sept internet will be free for HHG and HHD members, so not a problem, as far as you carry your own laptop.
Old Aug 18, 2010, 7:01 am
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by saviox
from 1st/Sept internet will be free for HHG and HHD members
Yes -- at last! This is one of the factors that prompted us to go for the Hilton, having initially chosen a different hotel.

We'll keep our expectations under control and I'll try to remember to report back in January.
Old Aug 25, 2010, 3:48 am

Programs: BR, UA 1k, CX
Originally Posted by saviox
Stayed last June for 3 nights.

Nothing much to add to previous posts, except that the EL was closed under rennovation.
They offered, as an alternative, full b/fast in the restaurant.
Also two connecting rooms were adapted as a temporary EL.
At tea time(aprox 3pm to 5pm) they offered a nice cake selection. In the evening there were some snacks with 1 or 2 hot dishes, and also red/white wine,...probably also spirits but cannot remember well.
All day coffee and soft drinks available.
Also 2 computers with internet connection, but from 1st/Sept internet will be free for HHG and HHD members, so not a problem, as far as you carry your own laptop.
Any idea what is internet fee, before 1st Sept?
Old Aug 25, 2010, 4:31 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
The two computers with internet connection in the room behind the Exec Lounge floor check-in desk is free. Same goes for Exec Floor guests who go down to the business center and get a code to use the business center computer. [The problem downstairs is that the code expires something like every 20 minutes and thus requires getting another one each time.]

Internet in the room is not free, but I know it was high enough at the start of summer/winter (latter in Argentina), that I chose not to use it on a leisure one-day stay at the hotel then.

Originally Posted by IMH

The Park Tower has better/more consistent personalized service than the Hilton.

The Hilton Buenos Aires staff performance is now sort of a shadow of its former self.

Have they even yet fixed the light of the "H" letter in the Hilton sign on the building? It was out for at least 3 months this year, and then I stopped paying attention.

Last edited by GUWonder; Aug 25, 2010 at 4:37 am
Old Aug 25, 2010, 9:44 am

With the decreases in service levels, I am very much looking forward to the opening of the Conrad in Puerto Madero. Has anyone on site seen the progress? I always disbelieve Hilton when they project an opening date. (I also want to collect my Conrad Bs As bear... )

(For *wood folks, a St. Regis Hotel is scheduled near the first dique.)
Old Aug 25, 2010, 10:41 am

Programs: BA GLD, AA GLD 1MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LT Titanium
JDiver - I posted about the Conrad BsAs awhile back and someone told me that the project had been canceled... for some reason, I cannot find the thread. I remember seeing the construction site when we were there in March of 2009, but I haven't heard anything about it in a long time.
Old Aug 25, 2010, 11:57 am

Going to the "New Conrad Hotels and Resorts Openings" page <link> doesn't even show a Conrad Bs As in the works. I fear it may be one more of those projects that have "congelados" (frozen) in Bs As. Thanks, jkm024!
Old Aug 25, 2010, 12:17 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
We'll probably stay there again in early 2011 but it won't be with any enthusiastic anticipation after the disappointments of our return visits earlier this year, reiterated by other posters here.

From first to worst on our "favorite Hiltons" list in such a short time...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.