FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hilton | Hilton Honors (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors-417/)
-   -   Hilton Buenos Aires {ARG} (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors/378954-hilton-buenos-aires-arg.html)

ILuvParis Dec 2, 2000 12:14 pm

Hilton Buenos Aires {ARG}

A couple of months ago, I asked here whether anyone had yet stayed at the new Buenos Aires Hilton. Apparently, no one had. I am planning a trip and have enough points to stay free but wonder if any of you has stayed there and, if so, what your comments may be.

milesrus Dec 2, 2000 6:09 pm

I stayed there brand new hotel perfect location on the old dock yards. There are 64 restaurants within waking distance. It is the newest hotel in Buenos Aires I give it a super thumbs up.

Gaucho100K Dec 3, 2000 1:46 pm

Very nice hotel...

keithnj973 Dec 3, 2000 5:02 pm

Thank you guys. I have a reservation at the Sheraton in BA, I may change to the Hilton now.

mizzou miles Dec 13, 2000 11:24 am

Hilton EZE

Anyone have any experience with the Hilton in BA? How is the location?? Any luck on an upgrade with a gold card?? Thanks!

ILuvParis Dec 13, 2000 10:54 pm

I've asked about this hotel a few times. It seems not many have stayed there since it is pretty new. Do a search here and in General Travel Talk and you'll find a few comments.

milesrus Dec 16, 2000 8:20 pm

This hotel is great and fabulous location right on the old harbor. Sixty-five restaurants nearby.

den1k Jan 4, 2001 2:56 pm

I'll be staying at the Hilton in Buenos Aires in March for a week with my two college age kids. Does anyone have any suggestions on daytrips or not to miss sights in Buenos Aires.

Thanks http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/smile.gif

[This message has been edited by den1k (edited 01-04-2001).]

[This message has been edited by den1k (edited 01-04-2001).]

gsilliman Jan 4, 2001 6:02 pm

den1k -- there is a site for foreigners who are living in Buenos Aires -- www.expatvillage.com
it has information that any visitor could use.

Near the hotel is the best of the high-end steak houses (there are many in BA): Cabana las Lilas. Pres Clinton sneaked out of a fundraiser at the Sheraton to get a steak there.
At the edge of the Recoleta neighborhood is a great italian restaurant -- Piegari. This is the rich locals' favorite. Av. Posadas between Cerrito and Libertad.
On a nice day, stroll through the Recoleta neighborhood to the cemetary with the same name (Evita buried there). If you're with someone you enjoy talking with, have some coffee or a beer ("chopp"=draft) at La Biela, a confiteria (cafe) at the end of Av. Quintana, at the park -- expensive and slow service, but it is the best-located cafe in the country for people watching.
If you walk along the pedestrian-only Av. Florida, Cafe Florida (corner of Paraguay) or Cafe Richmond (near Tucuman), are great places to meet up with your sons. This is a city of cafes where people sip coffee -- very social. You won't find bars or heavy drinking in BA.
Instead of going to the (long) Tango shows, go to the Hyatt on a weeknight at (I think) 10:00 -- free 25 minute Tango show in the bar -- 2 dances and some songs. Same show is later on weekends -- call for times 4321-1234
Go to the San Telmo street market on Sunday.
A day trip if you're frazzled by the activity in BA is to go to Colonia Uruguay. takes 50 minutes by fast ferry (one block from the hotel), can be arranged by the hotel who should also set you up with an English speaking guide/driver. Very quiet, sleepy, and historic (the town was passed between the Spanish and Portugese many times); it was declared a world heritage site by the U.N.

In Palermo Viejo is an Armenian restaurant with a great neighborhood atmosphere. Inexpensive, and excellent food (I had never even tried Armenian food before): Sarki's, Av. Thames, corner of Jofre. Try the beef shishkebab and chicken with rice and almonds.
Freddo is an ice cream chain that is excellent. 1 near the Hilton, 2 in Recoleta, 2 on Av. Florida.
Argentina has very beautiful women (cab drivers will ask you all the time what you think of their 1-women 2-wine and 3-steak), but beware of the bars on Av. Reconquista and Tres Sargentos. Most of these friendly women are for hire. Exception: The Kilkenny is a legit Irish-style pub in that neighborhood.

[This message has been edited by gsilliman (edited 01-04-2001).]

den1k Jan 5, 2001 11:41 am

Thanks gsilliman http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/smile.gif

YVR Cockroach May 28, 2001 12:27 pm

Buenos Aires AA promo

The Bs As property is offering a triple AAdvantage miles promo until the end of July. Does that mean I'll earn 2,000 AA miles if I pay with my AX card on the double Double Dip?

Triple Miles - Buenos Aires Hilton

There's a beautiful place to stay in Buenos Aires, and it's even more attractive with this great bonus mile deal. The Hilton Buenos Aires is now offering AAdvantage and AOL AAdvantage members triple miles for every stay between May 1, 2001, and July 31, 2001.
[This message has been edited by terenz (edited 05-28-2001).]

YVR Cockroach Jul 22, 2001 12:36 am

Status of Buenos Aires Hilton in 2002?

I stayed at this property (very nice) last month. Looking at making a booking for next year but there is nothing available after Jan. 1 2002 for various dates. It would seem that this hotel is going to a different chain? Room rates were quoted earlier in the month but may have been taken off for after 2001.

den1k Jul 22, 2001 1:00 am

Hope there is not any change. It's a great place to stay.

GUWonder Jul 23, 2001 11:23 am

I go from US to the Hilton Buenos Aires at least once a month and if I remember correctly they are building a Hilton Residence Buenos Aires or something like that for 2002. I will inquire on my next travels there about 2002.

I don't think the hotels in Buenos Aires want to re-affiliate in light of the poor economy down there. One interesting to note is that the Hilton Buenos Aires never seems to be fully-booked or even 40-60% full. Wonderful for me. The Hilton Buenos Aires is a great place.

YVR Cockroach Jul 23, 2001 12:14 pm

False alram. The rates for 2002 are available again so Hilton must have been loading new ones when I was checking.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">
I don't think the hotels in Buenos Aires want to re-affiliate in light of the poor economy down there. One interesting to note is that the Hilton Buenos Aires never seems to be fully-booked or even 40-60% full. Wonderful for me. The Hilton Buenos Aires is a great place.</font>
GUWonder, does the Bs As property ever offer Point Stretcher awards?