Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Buenos Aires {ARG}

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2023, 3:03 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by escape4
Introduction I have not stayed at lots of other hotels in Buenos Aires in the past, but my previous stays at Anselmo (Curio) and at Park Hyatt have not been entirely satisfactory so this time I tried Hilton. I quite liked the neighborhood and I also found service to be proactive and staff having a “can do” attitude so I can recommend this hotel. Location The location of Park Hyatt is considered excellent by many people but personally I think it’s best for a couple who want late night dining and upscale shopping. Now we have a baby in tow so I found the area around Hilton to be a better fit with lots of restaurants and terraces open all afternoon rather than have inflexible dining hours. Room I booked the entry level room and I noticed many weeks before our stay that the hotel was fully booked so I did not expect any upgrade. To my surprise I was proactively upgraded to a junior suite as Diamond which was very appreciated. The room was very bright thanks to a large window on the entire length of our top floor (9th) room with some sea views, and the hardwood floor helped the room sustain the test of time better than if it had too much carpet. The walk-in closet was very large and could handle our numerous suitcases. Similar to many other hotels in Argentina, Hilton does not follow brand standards regarding bathroom toiletries – we had some local brand which I had not seen before. Dining The executive lounge was a stand-out at this hotel. Most importantly the lounge was not overly crowded like many hotels tend to be these days, there were sitting areas indoors and outdoors, and they also had a billiards table. Happy hour 6-8pm had some appetizers available and drinks were a bit better than food with some choices of cocktails prepared by staff. For breakfast the majority of Hyatt and Marriott hotels give the choice to elites between having breakfast in the lounge or in the restaurant, but a non-negligible number of hotels force guests to have breakfast in the lounge only and they offer something of lower quality there to save on costs. With the Hilton chain, I have not observed the same pattern because as Diamond I don’t recall having been told before that I had to have breakfast in the lounge only, in part because it would be illogical to give breakfast in the restaurant to Golds (since they may not be allowed in the lounge), but only in the lounge to Diamonds. I was surprised at Hilton BA to be told that Diamonds only had breakfast in the lounge. I am not opposed to have breakfast in the lounge if the quality is there because after all it tends to be more quiet, but there is no downside in having the choice between two venues. Consequently I challenged their policy for Diamond breakfast and in the end they told me I would be allowed in the restaurant as well, if we wanted to.We had breakfast both in the restaurant and in the lounge during our stay in order to compare (until 10:30am during the week, 11am on weekends). The choices in the restaurant were more varied and had many dishes not typically found in the plain vanilla Hilton breakfasts (outside Asia), such as basmati rice, blueberries, and more veggies than most buffets. I would not say the restaurant was a chaotic zoo but it was not that easy to find an open table. In contrast the lounge was far more peaceful and enjoyable, but as expected choices more limited. That said it did not feel like they simply made a cheaper version of breakfast; I found it to be an appropriate breakfast.The main negative at the hotel regarding dining was the room service menu which was surprisingly overpriced considering the numerous restaurants right outside of Hilton. Service As mentioned above, service was excellent for a hotel of this level. I was welcomed at reception by a manager, during the stay the hotel was in contact via SMS to ask about feedback, and service in the lounge was very good as well with several proactive offers to refill drinks. There was a bit of a hiccup regarding billing at the end of our stay but once again they offered to have a manager call me in the room to explain what went wrong which was a nice gesture. Last but not least, housekeeping was done exactly at the time we requested, which tends to be a problem at some hotels post-covid. Wifi Wifi worked without interruptions but speed could have been better at only 5 Mbps. Overall Overall for the price paid I think Hilton is good value for the money compared to the previous alternatives I stayed at in BsAs so I give thumbs up to this hotel especially for Diamond guests who might score a suite upgrade and will benefit from the above average lounge with good service.

Thanks for the review.

Can I ask did you end up paying in dollars or did you pay in Pesos?

I have been Buenos Aires quite a bit but considering this hotel. I had asked about paying in Pesos previously - the WU rate is more than 100% better than the official rate just now. I am now very au fait with the WU process in Argentina. So I wanted to ask if anyone had recent experience of paying Pesos.

Thanks in advance.
Old Sep 29, 2023, 4:07 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by flieduk
Can I ask did you end up paying in dollars or did you pay in Pesos?
Both. I can elaborate on this comment from my previous review "There was a bit of a hiccup regarding billing at the end of our stay"

The issue is that I asked on day of check out how much was the final amount due. They told me how much, then I walked to a forex shop to get close to the exact amount of pesos needed to pay the bill at Hilton. Then I walked back to the hotel with the cash but they had made a mistake and the amount due was greater than what they previously told me. So I paid cash with the pesos I had, and then got ripped off on the exchange rate by paying the rest with dollars via credit card.
Old Sep 29, 2023, 4:36 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by escape4
Both. I can elaborate on this comment from my previous review "There was a bit of a hiccup regarding billing at the end of our stay"

The issue is that I asked on day of check out how much was the final amount due. They told me how much, then I walked to a forex shop to get close to the exact amount of pesos needed to pay the bill at Hilton. Then I walked back to the hotel with the cash but they had made a mistake and the amount due was greater than what they previously told me. So I paid cash with the pesos I had, and then got ripped off on the exchange rate by paying the rest with dollars via credit card.
Thanks. So how do you go about booking to make sure that they do not charge your credit card in advance? Presumably you book via the Hilton website/app but have to select "Flexible" rate? Otherwise they pre-charge you in Dollars?

Thanks
Old Sep 30, 2023, 6:49 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by flieduk
Thanks. So how do you go about booking to make sure that they do not charge your credit card in advance? Presumably you book via the Hilton website/app but have to select "Flexible" rate? Otherwise they pre-charge you in Dollars?

Thanks
I have always booked flexible rates in Argentina, not pre-paid. That said, even if I had pre-paid I am not 100% sure it would have been a failure, perhaps asking the hotel to refund my card and then I pay cash might have worked, not sure.
Old Sep 30, 2023, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
But when you pay cash you must pay the 21% IVA on top. If you pay with a foreign card you don't. OK you don't get exactly the blue rate, but it's fairly close now - certainly less than 21%.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.