Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2018] American Express Announces Two New Hilton Credit Cards

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE to 2018] American Express Announces Two New Hilton Credit Cards

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2018, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
If we update to the Aspire when will the free night post? Will it be immediately and then 1/1/19 and then 1/1 each consecutive year or will it be after holding the card for a year? If we update to the Aspire I'm assuming the free night from Citi will still post on our citi anniversary date correct?
Old Jan 2, 2018, 1:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, UA 1MM Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mnredfox
Two quick questions:

1. For those with Surpass that wish to upgrade to Aspire (instead of Ascend) I presume we can just call Amex on Jan 18th? Or can we do this online? And if we upgrade, is it immediate or do we have to wait to the next billing cycle?

2. I presume the annual fee will be assessed on the anniversary date of the card? So, if I upgrade from Surpass and say my Surpass anniversary is Sep (ie I got charged my $95 annual fee in Sep), then the $450 is charged in Sep?
On #2 - when I have performed this sort of change with other cards in the past, they have issued a prorated refund of the old annual fee and assessed a new (or prorated) annual fee depending on whether they adjust the anniversary date or not.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 2:03 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat - 2MM;HH Diamond
When do we have to pay an annual fee next?

I have been combing through this thread and can't find my answer.

When will we need to pay the annual fee on this card if we convert from the Citibank one? Will it be later this year whenever our Citibank would have renewed?

I just paid my annual fee on my current HHonors card (Citi) in November and that will be converted to an Amex this month.

Dan
Old Jan 2, 2018, 3:33 pm

the new $450 card with free diamond will be neat.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 8:19 am
Company Representative - Honors by Hilton

Programs: Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by danorum
I have been combing through this thread and can't find my answer.

When will we need to pay the annual fee on this card if we convert from the Citibank one? Will it be later this year whenever our Citibank would have renewed?

I just paid my annual fee on my current HHonors card (Citi) in November and that will be converted to an Amex this month.

Dan
The annual fee due date will not change. So for example, if you paid in November 2017, your next fee will be due in November 2018.

Thanks!
Lauren
Old Jan 3, 2018, 8:56 am

Programs: AA, US, WN, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat
Two quick questions:

1. For those with Surpass that wish to upgrade to Aspire (instead of Ascend) I presume we can just call Amex on Jan 18th? Or can we do this online? And if we upgrade, is it immediate or do we have to wait to the next billing cycle?

2. I presume the annual fee will be assessed on the anniversary date of the card? So, if I upgrade from Surpass and say my Surpass anniversary is Sep (ie I got charged my $95 annual fee in Sep), then the $450 is charged in Sep?
I think it may make the most sense to earn the free night with the Ascend card by spending 15K and then upgrade to Aspire to immediately get a second free night.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by elCheapoDeluxe
On #2 - when I have performed this sort of change with other cards in the past, they have issued a prorated refund of the old annual fee and assessed a new (or prorated) annual fee depending on whether they adjust the anniversary date or not.
Makes sense, I'll post when I UG.

I also assume with the Aspire with the unlimited PP passes you can always guest two to the lounge?

Last edited by mnredfox; Jan 3, 2018 at 10:19 am
Old Jan 3, 2018, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you want to miss getting a singup bonus, presumably yes.

But given the pattern of HH no-AF to HH Surpass upgrade bonuses, I would wait to see if there is a bonus for upgrading Surpass to Aspire. But even if so, it may not appear right away on Jan 18.

And keep in mind that we won't even know if there will be a signup bonus for the Aspire or if so what it will be, until Jan 18.

So IMHO these questions are premature unless you have zero interest in more HH points.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Two quick questions:

1. Just talked with AMEX - date to call in is 20 January 2018 (or later) if you want to upgrade to Aspire instead of just getting the Ascend. This is because the products will not be available publically until then. You keep your existing credit card number, credit limit, pin, etc.

David
Old Jan 9, 2018, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by elCheapoDeluxe
Originally Posted by DELee
1. Just talked with AMEX - date to call in is 20 January 2018 (or later) if you want to upgrade to Aspire instead of just getting the Ascend. This is because the products will not be available publically until then. You keep your existing credit card number, credit limit, pin, etc.

David
I assume no mention of UG bonus?
Old Jan 9, 2018, 5:21 pm

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Originally Posted by yerffej201
the new $450 card with free diamond will be neat.
No. It will not.

And it's not just free diamond, they are actually paying the cardholder!
Old Jan 10, 2018, 2:42 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marco Polo Gold
Originally Posted by kb9522

No. It will not.

And it's not just free diamond, they are actually paying the cardholder!
From AMEX: they get paid annual fee and they get to make millions in transaction fees on charges.
From Hilton: they get millions in revenue stream from travalers that bypassed them before due to lack of status (such as myself)
From upset members here: study shows despite all the anger, most people won't boycott Hilton and stay and spend pattern will remain mostly the same.

Sorry, Hilton got this one figured out. As an elite member to many other programs, I totally understand why some long-time hard-earning Diamonds would be very upset at this. But once again we're reminded this is a business and we mean nothing to them as long as they can make more money.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 3:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by Cathay Dragon 666
Sorry, Hilton got this one figured out. As an elite member to many other programs, I totally understand why some long-time hard-earning Diamonds would be very upset at this. But once again we're reminded this is a business and we mean nothing to them as long as they can make more money.
I am HHonors Gold. I didn't spend a night in one of their hotels last year but I also did not bother changing my Surpass card. If I could use the new benefits from the Aspire card I might upgrade to it, but I don't use any particular airline (and when I do it is in Biz so the baggage fees mean nothing to me) and I probably won't be going to any of the designated resort hotels. Hence, I will remain Gold -- but if I did get the Aspire and became a Diamond, it would in no way take anything away from the other Diamonds. At most, I will be staying at one HHonors property for a single trip in 2018. Like others who don't spend much time in HHonors properties, I represent no threat to Diamonds as far as taking their upgrades from them.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by Cathay Dragon 666
From AMEX: they get paid annual fee and they get to make millions in transaction fees on charges.
From Hilton: they get millions in revenue stream from travalers that bypassed them before due to lack of status (such as myself)
From upset members here: study shows despite all the anger, most people won't boycott Hilton and stay and spend pattern will remain mostly the same.

Hilton could avoid upsetting the diamonds who stay at Hilton a lot by creating a new level with more benefits and/or having hotels give priority for upgrades based on base points for the prior year. The problem with Hilton losing diamonds who earn the status is that a lot of those travellers are business travellers booking on last minute rack rates and running up high profit center charges like laundry and food service. The people that have the status through credit cards aren't likely to use laundry and food service and book on cheaper weekend stays.

With status so easy to obtain through a credit card with Hilton I just get diamond status this way, but a lot of my paid business stays have been going to Hyatt now to keep my status with them since you can't get top tier status with a credit card with Hyatt. If Hilton was smart what they would do is follow Hyatt's old program and give xx nights elite credit nights for every $xx spent

Maybe some other travel programs will start following Hilton though.

I would love to see Alaska and Jet Blue give top tier status with a credit and Marriott. I'll be signing up for their cards if they do
Old Jan 10, 2018, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Something that isn't making any sense at all with Am Ex and their travel partners is that Hilton is now giving away diamond with their Am Ex and it sounds like Marriott/SPG is going to have a similar Am Ex card next year (I'm praying the rumors are true with that) yet Delta raised the diamond waiver by 10X on their Am Ex card.

It's like Airlines want to make it harder to get status but hotels are making it easier.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.