Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2018] American Express Announces Two New Hilton Credit Cards

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE to 2018] American Express Announces Two New Hilton Credit Cards

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2017, 9:59 am

Hilton Resort

For "Hilton Resort," (Aspire) does that include Hilton Grand Vacation Club?
Old Dec 28, 2017, 11:03 am

Programs: AA, B6, UA, HH, WoH
Originally Posted by julian926
For "Hilton Resort," (Aspire) does that include Hilton Grand Vacation Club?
See Post #161 .....
$250 Hilton resort statement credit - Is this only for resort hotels - is there a list of which ones are eligible for this credit?
... www.hilton.com/resorts lists out all of our resort hotels. You need to use your Aspire card to pay for the resort stay at one of these hotels in order to earn the $250 statement credit.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 11:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
I had an unusual experience today. I have never used my Priority Pass membership as I usually fly in the front cabin and get free lounge access. Even in the Old Days, when I flew in Peasant Class, I found that most lounges charged almost the same with Priority Pass as they do without it. In fact, I have no idea of where my PP card is but with the Ascend card about to give me 10 free entries I decided that it would be a handy thing to have.

I wrote to Priority Pass asking for a replacement card and received this reply:

Thank you for your enquiry about Priority Pass membership.

Your membership was cancelled by American express on 22 December 2011.

If you’re still with American Express and are still eligible for a complimentary Priority Pass, you’ll need to contact American Express who’ll confirm to us directly that they’re happy to re-activate your Priority Pass account.

Okay, I called Amex, the rep confirmed that I am still eligible and could not explain why Amex cancelled it. She told me she would transfer me to the Priority Pass representative. I thought this mean someone who works for Amex but handles Priority Pass problems. Instead, she somehow transferred me to Priority Pass itself. The rep there told me that Amex would have to contact them, I told her that Amex transferred me to her, and she told me to call Amex back and ask to speak to a supervisor.

I did that, the Amex supervisor put me on hold while she checked my account, confirmed that I should have Priority Pass and said that she can either set up a conference call with herself, PP, and me or else I could wait for her to contact PP by email and will get back to me when she gets an answer from them. I opted for the conference call but the supervisor came back and told me that PP refuses to handle this by phone and she will have to write to them.

In short, if you have PP but haven't used it for a while, you should check to see if it is still valid and, if not, try to get this straightened out before the new cards come out.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 1:42 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by Dovster
I had an unusual experience today. I have never used my Priority Pass membership as I usually fly in the front cabin and get free lounge access. Even in the Old Days, when I flew in Peasant Class, I found that most lounges charged almost the same with Priority Pass as they do without it. In fact, I have no idea of where my PP card is but with the Ascend card about to give me 10 free entries I decided that it would be a handy thing to have.

I wrote to Priority Pass asking for a replacement card and received this reply:

Thank you for your enquiry about Priority Pass membership.

Your membership was cancelled by American express on 22 December 2011.

If you’re still with American Express and are still eligible for a complimentary Priority Pass, you’ll need to contact American Express who’ll confirm to us directly that they’re happy to re-activate your Priority Pass account.

Okay, I called Amex, the rep confirmed that I am still eligible and could not explain why Amex cancelled it. She told me she would transfer me to the Priority Pass representative. I thought this mean someone who works for Amex but handles Priority Pass problems. Instead, she somehow transferred me to Priority Pass itself. The rep there told me that Amex would have to contact them, I told her that Amex transferred me to her, and she told me to call Amex back and ask to speak to a supervisor.

I did that, the Amex supervisor put me on hold while she checked my account, confirmed that I should have Priority Pass and said that she can either set up a conference call with herself, PP, and me or else I could wait for her to contact PP by email and will get back to me when she gets an answer from them. I opted for the conference call but the supervisor came back and told me that PP refuses to handle this by phone and she will have to write to them.

In short, if you have PP but haven't used it for a while, you should check to see if it is still valid and, if not, try to get this straightened out before the new cards come out.
Well, I've never used PP since I don't want to pay $21 (or whatever it is) so I'm sure I'm cancelled, too...but so what? Isn't this going to be a "new" benefit of the Ascend card, with the upcharge in the annual fee won't we all get the New "free" Priority passes when we get the new Ascend card after Jan. 18? Any reason someone like me has to contact Amex/Priority Pass now?
Old Dec 28, 2017, 2:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
Well, I've never used PP since I don't want to pay $21 (or whatever it is) so I'm sure I'm cancelled, too...but so what? Isn't this going to be a "new" benefit of the Ascend card, with the upcharge in the annual fee won't we all get the New "free" Priority passes when we get the new Ascend card after Jan. 18? Any reason someone like me has to contact Amex/Priority Pass now?
We will all be entitled to it but we will not get it if PP has our account listed as "canceled" and Amex is not made aware of that.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by Dovster
We will all be entitled to it but we will not get it if PP has our account listed as "canceled" and Amex is not made aware of that.
OK, I guess I have to follow up. What a pain.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 2:22 pm

OK, I guess I have to follow up. What a pain.
Well, that could not have been easier. Called the 800 # on the PP website...very nice CSA...even though we have never used it, it is still active, and he said there will be no problem with the transition to the new Amex Surpass. Not important, but guess where he was located? Cape Town, SA, a new one on me for a call center.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 4:23 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, AAdvantage, Southwest, HHonors, National
Question for anybody that has an Citi HHONORS Reserve anniversary date this month. Did you receive your certificate on the day of? I called Citi earlier today to ask about the cert, since my anniversary date was a couple days ago. The CSR did not have any idea when it was coming and told me to call Hilton. When I called Diamond Desk, the CSR did not know either. In addition, she stated some info that is counter to what Lauren has provided here. The DD CSR said that if I don't receive my Citi reward certificate before Jan. 1, I probably wouldn't receive it. According to her after Jan. 1, they won't have access to any of Citi's information. Honestly I'm not sure how this affects the reward certificates.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by HonorsRepresentative
Hi all,

Wanted to share a quick update/correction re: weekend rewards, as I know you all had a lot of questions that you posted/PMed about.

Confirmed with our partners that you will in fact be receiving this year’s Citi weekend reward from any spend met this year on your Citi anniversary date (and not 6-8 weeks after spend is met, as previously announced). If your Citi anniversary date is after January 30, 2018 (the day your Citi Reserve account transfers to the Amex Ascend account), you need to keep your Hilton Honors American Express Ascend card account open in order to receive the weekend night reward.

Going forward with your Amex card, the clock starts ticking on your new Ascend $15K spend threshold on January 30, 2018. Once you meet the spend on the Ascend card, you will then receive your weekend reward 6-8 weeks from that date. Technically, that means you could receive your Ascend weekend reward before your Citi reward (depending on when your Citi anniversary is).

Weekend night reward codes are sent via email from Hilton Honors so please make sure your preferred email address is on your Hilton Honors account.

Thought it might be helpful to map it out by date - see below:

January 18, 2018: New Amex Cards Available for Sign Up; Surpass cards become the Ascend Card and you can start using Priority Pass benefits
January 18 & On: Citi Cardmembers Begin to Receive New Ascend Cards; Citi Cardholders Can Continue to Spend on Their Reserve Card Through January 30, 2018
January 30, 2018: Citi Reserve Cards officially become the Amex Ascend Cards; Count Towards New Spend Threshold Begins

So sorry for any confusion, feel free to reach out if you have other questions.

Thanks,
Lauren
So the Citi rep was wrong that told me a few days ago by chat that I would receive my 10K weekend cert on my next statement?
Old Jan 1, 2018, 7:01 am

Programs: Marriott TITANIUM, BWR Dia, IHG, Millemiglia Alitalia
Unfortunately no branded credit card available for Italian (or many Eu) customers, that's very annoying
Old Jan 1, 2018, 7:58 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton - Diamond, IHG - Spire Amb
Arggh Amex! I thought I would escape and you drag me back in (tongue in cheek comment)

In preparation of being able to apply for the new cards, I was signing in to cancel some existing Blue Hilton Honors Amex cards. Unfortunately, 3 different ones (spread across 2 different accounts) had an offer to upgrade to Hilton Surpass for 75k points, 3k spend $75 fee. Sigh, why yes, I will take another 225k hilton points (75*3 ). So, those 2 people will apparently be auto converted from the hilton surpass to the new card and likely not be eligible for the sign up bonus. But, a bird in the hand now is the offer I'll take and figure out about the future cards later.

So for those of you who have the hilton honors amex card still in your login and don't mind, you could upgrade to the surpass (each of these were previous surpass that had been downgraded.)
Old Jan 1, 2018, 9:57 am

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, UA Million Miler Gold, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Carl Christensen
Arggh Amex! I thought I would escape and you drag me back in (tongue in cheek comment)

In preparation of being able to apply for the new cards, I was signing in to cancel some existing Blue Hilton Honors Amex cards. Unfortunately, 3 different ones (spread across 2 different accounts) had an offer to upgrade to Hilton Surpass for 75k points, 3k spend $75 fee. Sigh, why yes, I will take another 225k hilton points (75*3 ). So, those 2 people will apparently be auto converted from the hilton surpass to the new card and likely not be eligible for the sign up bonus. But, a bird in the hand now is the offer I'll take and figure out about the future cards later.

So for those of you who have the hilton honors amex card still in your login and don't mind, you could upgrade to the surpass (each of these were previous surpass that had been downgraded.)
I think you math is off. 75K points for the $3k spend is 75,000 points plus a minimum of 9,000 points for the spend and a maximum of 36,000 (if the $3k spend is all Hilton spend). So 84,000 minimum points and 111,000 maximum provided you only the the minimum spend. Not saying it is a bad offer or that you shouldn't do it but I can not find any way this is 225,000 points
Old Jan 1, 2018, 11:01 am

Originally Posted by HawkeyeFlyer
I think you math is off. 75K points for the $3k spend is 75,000 points plus a minimum of 9,000 points for the spend and a maximum of 36,000 (if the $3k spend is all Hilton spend). So 84,000 minimum points and 111,000 maximum provided you only the the minimum spend. Not saying it is a bad offer or that you shouldn't do it but I can not find any way this is 225,000 points
He said it was for 3 cards...so yes, 3x a 75,000 bonus is 225,000 pts, not including points earned on the actual spend.
Old Jan 1, 2018, 11:09 am

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, UA Million Miler Gold, Marriott Platinum
He said it was for 3 cards...so yes, 3x a 75,000 bonus is 225,000 pts, not including points earned on the actual spend.
My mistake
Old Jan 2, 2018, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Two quick questions:

1. For those with Surpass that wish to upgrade to Aspire (instead of Ascend) I presume we can just call Amex on Jan 18th? Or can we do this online? And if we upgrade, is it immediate or do we have to wait to the next billing cycle?

2. I presume the annual fee will be assessed on the anniversary date of the card? So, if I upgrade from Surpass and say my Surpass anniversary is Sep (ie I got charged my $95 annual fee in Sep), then the $450 is charged in Sep?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.