Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2018] American Express Announces Two New Hilton Credit Cards

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE to 2018] American Express Announces Two New Hilton Credit Cards

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2017, 7:58 am

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Originally Posted by aww3583
Just got my first monthly Amex reward points since the transition to Ascend.

The points still post the same day as the CC bill is paid. However, instead of a single deposit of points, the points came in three separate transactions. Again, all came same-day, but they were labeled "AMEX ASCEND CARD PTS ON ELIGIBLE SPEND" and "AMEX ASCEND BONUS POINTS". I had to add them up to make sure the appropriate amount was deposited. Everything looks OK so far.
Along with statement announcements, stating all existing memberships will be changed after the first of the year, it is hard to believe that AMEX will give ALL customers 10's of thousands of bonus points just for continuing as customers.

Based on prior experience, I DO expect AMEX to offer targeted promotions - with lots of bonus points - to upgrade to Aspire. Likewise, expect a devaluation 1-2 years in, for all Hilton cards - such as watering down of Priority Pass benefit.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 10:12 am

Programs: AA, B6, UA, HH, WoH
Originally Posted by BrlDsguise
The T&C is correct.

If you are an existing Amex customer why wouldn't you ask them?
Because “them” often provide inaccurate and different answers.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by Eujeanie
IF...they acknowledge that they are brand new cards. What if you currently have the Surpass? Will you get a sign-up bonus when it becomes Ascend? (my Honors points already say they are from my "Ascend" card). But if I cancel my Surpass today, on January 18 will I be able to apply for a new Ascend card and get the bonus? Or will Amex say "the Surpass became the Ascend, so only one lifetime bonus which you already got when you applied for the Surpass many moons ago".

Those are the things I'd like to know. What to do right now. Cancel my Surpass or it won't matter since I can't ever get another bonus anyway?
I just cancelled my Surpass card (AF was due). Mainly due to the $75 fee and the Hilton devaluation, coupled with Amex historic language for card bonuses (if you *have* or have ever *had* the BLAH card, you're ineligible for bonus). Now, that doesn't mean that Amex can't or won't' change anything.

Now, the phone rep claimed that the card bonuses are based on the card, so that "once you have any Hilton card, you're not eligible for any bonuses, but you can certainly try".
I know that statement to not be true (currently) because you can apply for the no-fee Hilton card, get a bonus and apply for the Surpass card and get a bonus (well, maybe not today), provided you never had either card (or it was more than like 7 years ago).

So I'm banking on the fact that Amex won't treat the Ascend card as the Surpass card in the TOC of any welcome bonus. If not, no biggie. I can just re-apply later, if needbe. Their records show I never had the no fee card anyway.

Oh, and I've been a Surpass card holder since 1991 and usually spend $3-4k/year on it (this year was closer to 6k) and was offered a whopping 5,000 Hilton honors points to keep the card. Um yeah. At an average redemption of $0.005/point I don't think so.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 2:49 pm
Company Representative - Honors by Hilton

Programs: Hilton Honors
Hi all,

Hope you had a good weekend. Getting back to you on a few posts saw pop up.

Assume the spend on the Amex Surpass card from 1/1-1/18 will also count toward the spend to reach Diamond status.BUT...if your Amex Surpass card Closing Date is 12/17/2017, will spend from 12/18/17-12/31/17 count toward the spend to reach Diamond status in 2017 or 2018? T&C suggests 2017, but would appreciate confirmation.
12/18/17-12/31/17 counts towards 2017 spend.

If the $250 incidental follows the same "engine" as the AmEx Platinum, does it reset upon New Year's Day? Meaning, during the first year of membership for AmEx Plat, you essentially get double the amount of incidental reimbursement as it resets on January 1st. Does anyone know if the AmEx Hilton Aspire follows the same? If it does, it's a pretty good deal for the first year.
It follows the same engine as Amex Platinum and does reset on Jan 1.

Signup Bonus - will we or won't we?
We will indeed have sign up bonuses for new accounts and the details will be shared on Jan 18 when the cards officially launch.

Thanks!
Lauren
Old Dec 18, 2017, 2:55 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by HonorsRepresentative

Signup Bonus - will we or won't we?
We will indeed have sign up bonuses for new accounts and the details will be shared on Jan 18 when the cards officially launch.

For those of us who will transfer over from the old card to the new card will we be considered "new accounts"?
Old Dec 18, 2017, 5:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Originally Posted by elkhornne
For those of us who will transfer over from the old card to the new card will we be considered "new accounts"?
Seriously? Read what you just wrote! “Transfer” does not in any way shape or form indicate a new account! I’m usually pretty mellow and don’t make negative comments on post but what people here are expecting is getting ridiculous. We would all like to get a bonus but come on do you really think Amex just wants to give everyone extra points for not doing ANYTHING?

Last edited by christianj; Dec 18, 2017 at 5:17 pm
Old Dec 18, 2017, 5:15 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by christianj

Seriously? Read what you just wrote! “Transfer” does not in any way shape or form indicate a new account! I’m usually pretty mellow and don’t make negative comments on post but what people here are expecting is getting ridiculous. We would all like to get a bonus but come on do you really think Amex just wants to give everyone extra points for not doing ANYTHING?

Well, the Aspire is definitely a brand new card...I can't wait to see the hefty bonus on a $450 AF card! Woo-hoo!
Old Dec 18, 2017, 5:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
Well, the Aspire is definitely a brand new card...I can't wait to see the hefty bonus on a $450 AF card! Woo-hoo!
I agree that the Aspire is a new card so if you don’t have a HH Amex you will be able to take advantage of a nice signup bonus. If you have a HH Amex you MIGHT see an UPGRADE OFFER to the Aspire like they offered members when they upgraded their regular cards to the Surpass. It remains to be seen IF they allow current HH Amex members to submit a new separate application for the Aspire if you have a HH Amex now to get a NEW signup bonus or if they will just offer and upgrade option.

Now everyone just needs to relax and see what they actually offer on Jan 18!

Last edited by christianj; Dec 18, 2017 at 5:30 pm
Old Dec 18, 2017, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hurnik
So I'm banking on the fact that Amex won't treat the Ascend card as the Surpass card in the TOC of any welcome bonus. If not, no biggie. I can just re-apply later, if needbe. Their records show I never had the no fee card anyway.
Keep in mind also that Amex is introducing what is basically a business version of the Ascend card. But since it's a business version, you can't have had it before by any possible definition. (And you don't have to have an actual business to apply for Amex business cards.) So you might as well get that first, and wait for the datapoints to come in about whether they treat Ascend and Surpass as the same card or not for purposes of signup bonus qualification.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 2:59 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I just got my annual free night on my Citi Hilton Reserve card today and therefore canceled the card in anticipation of the new AMEX offerings. They offered me 5,000 retention points to keep the card and I declined.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 8:38 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by jphripjah
I just got my annual free night on my Citi Hilton Reserve card today and therefore canceled the card in anticipation of the new AMEX offerings. They offered me 5,000 retention points to keep the card and I declined.
what was your anniv. date?
Old Dec 21, 2017, 10:20 pm

Originally Posted by jphripjah
Interesting choice. You could have spent $15,000 on it in the new year and received two free nights (plus the 45,000 points, of course)
Old Dec 23, 2017, 12:03 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
For the new cards coming out in Jan, how long would they take to arrive once approved? I have a trip on Jan 30th that I’d like to use it for, but not sure if it would arrive by then. Thank you!
Old Dec 23, 2017, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Aren't they supposed to be sending out the cards around the middle of January?
Old Dec 23, 2017, 11:23 am

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Originally Posted by ffman999
For the new cards coming out in Jan, how long would they take to arrive once approved? I have a trip on Jan 30th that I’d like to use it for, but not sure if it would arrive by then. Thank you!
They overnighted my Hilton Honors card, but was already a customer when approved for it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.