Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2018] American Express Announces Two New Hilton Credit Cards

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE to 2018] American Express Announces Two New Hilton Credit Cards

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2017, 1:18 pm
Company Representative - Honors by Hilton

Programs: Hilton Honors
Hi all,

We understand information regarding the Weekend Night Reward benefit may have been confusing over the past few weeks. We know this is a very important benefit to our members, so we’ve worked with our partners to provide more clarity about eligibility and fulfillment.

All Citi Reserve Cardholders who are transferred to American Express will be eligible to earn the American Express Ascend Weekend Night Reward if you spend $15,000 on purchases in 2018. This is inclusive of purchases on your Citi Card from January 1-29, 2018 and purchases on your American Express Card from January 30, 2018 through December 31, 2018.

In addition, you will be eligible to receive a one-time carryover of your Citi Weekend Night Reward benefit if you spend $10,000 within your current anniversary year. This is inclusive of purchases on your Citi Card from the start of your anniversary year with Citi through January 29, 2018 and purchases on your American Express Card from January 30, 2018 through the end of your current anniversary year. Your current anniversary year will end in the month you pay your first annual fee to American Express.

After your account has been transferred to American Express, you will receive your Weekend Night Reward(s) in an email from Hilton Honors 6-8 weeks after you have met the purchase requirement. If you have already reached the purchase requirement for the Citi Weekend Night Reward when your account is transferred to American Express, you will receive the Weekend Night Reward in an email from Hilton Honors by the end of February 2018. As a reminder, Weekend Night Rewards are sent to the email address you have provided on your Hilton Honors account. Please make sure your preferred email address is on your account profile.

Again, recognize there’s been some back and forth and appreciate all the questions/comments coming in so we can clear up any confusion and deliver the benefits that we know our members value.

Thanks again,
Lauren
Old Dec 13, 2017, 1:47 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by HonorsRepresentative
Hi all,

We understand information regarding the Weekend Night Reward benefit may have been confusing over the past few weeks. We know this is a very important benefit to our members, so we’ve worked with our partners to provide more clarity about eligibility and fulfillment.

All Citi Reserve Cardholders who are transferred to American Express will be eligible to earn the American Express Ascend Weekend Night Reward if you spend $15,000 on purchases in 2018. This is inclusive of purchases on your Citi Card from January 1-29, 2018 and purchases on your American Express Card from January 30, 2018 through December 31, 2018.

Again, recognize there’s been some back and forth and appreciate all the questions/comments coming in so we can clear up any confusion and deliver the benefits that we know our members value.

Thanks again,
Lauren
Lauren, another murky area that many have speculated about:

Will there or will there not be sign-up bonuses for these "new" credit cards (Ascend, Aspire) - I specified "new" since they are not the same old Surpass and/or Citi cards we already have since they have different benefits, different names, different annual fees.

Will keeping our existing cards preclude us from taking advantage of any sign up bonuses, or should we be cancelling our old cards now?

Thank you.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 2:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
Originally Posted by Eujeanie

Will there or will there not be sign-up bonuses for these "new" credit cards (Ascend, Aspire) - I specified "new" since they are not the same old Surpass and/or Citi cards we already have since they have different benefits, different names, different annual fees.

Will keeping our existing cards preclude us from taking advantage of any sign up bonuses, or should we be cancelling our old cards now?

Thank you.
Really, after all of the inconvenience that all of us Citi Card holders are going through as part of this transition, we should just be given these sign up bonuses for keeping the Amex cards we’re going to be given.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 2:13 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by sannmann

Really, after all of the inconvenience that all of us Citi Card holders are going through as part of this transition, we should just be given these sign up bonuses for keeping the Amex cards we’re going to be given.
Let's not distract Lauren from answering the question!
Old Dec 13, 2017, 2:26 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HH Diamond
If possible, please let us know about the sign up bonus?

Thank you
Old Dec 13, 2017, 2:36 pm

Programs: Brand loyalty is for suckers
There appears to be a discrepancy on the Amex website advertising the new cards (https://www.hiltonhonorscard.com/). They do not mention a free night certificate award as part of the benefits package with the Aspire card (only with the Ascend and Business cards).

The prior press release from Amex at the beginning of November indicated the Aspire card would include an annual free night certificate. I wonder if the omission is simply an accident, or if Amex is already reconsidering the benefits that they announced? (Seems very unlikely).
Old Dec 13, 2017, 3:15 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Originally Posted by Eujeanie

Thank you.
Existing Surpass holders have been formally notified in November statements of the change to the "new" card, no indication of any bonus or incentive to remain a member - even with the increased AF, loss of benefits. I do expect offers to upgrade cards (such as Ascend to Aspire), one-time first applications at the same level (new business card).
Old Dec 13, 2017, 10:14 pm

Originally Posted by christianj
I don't think you can have your cake and eat it too! If you stick with the current Surpass which will be upgraded you will get the free night as I explained above. If you close to try and get the sign up bonus you will be SOL.
I guess my gripe is that I was attracted my signup bonus (100k+free night after 3k spend) on the basis of meeting the min spend requirement. I think I am entitled to that since I already met the spend. However, by mandatory conversion, I am forced to lose another opportunity to get an ASCEND signup bonus. Normally, I would just try again in a few years but I am not sure that AMEX will hold me to a once in a lifetime per product bonus.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 6:12 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Originally Posted by sigma6
I guess my gripe is that I was attracted my signup bonus (100k+free night after 3k spend) on the basis of meeting the min spend requirement. I think I am entitled to that since I already met the spend. However, by mandatory conversion, I am forced to lose another opportunity to get an ASCEND signup bonus. Normally, I would just try again in a few years but I am not sure that AMEX will hold me to a once in a lifetime per product bonus.
I can see how you might feel that way since we all want everything BUT the offer clearly was 100k after a $3k spend AND 1 free night AFTER you renew and pay your annual fee the second year. I want everything too but sadly that's just not how life works sometimes.

Why not wait and see what the offer is for the upgrade to ASPIRE after it is introduced? The free night you get for the second year on the Surpass/Ascend plus any upgrade bonus for moving to the Aspire might be worth more than the new signup bonus on the Ascend.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by bmrisko
Well, I guess Diamond just became even more devalued...hopefully the HH lounges don't start becoming super crowded like Centurion airport lounges.
Diamond became more devalued and now I can't wait to see what point redemption devaluation follows........
Old Dec 14, 2017, 2:10 pm

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, UA Million Miler Gold, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by sdix
Diamond became more devalued and now I can't wait to see what point redemption devaluation follows........
I completely agree. Diamond is basically free to obtain now with the new Aspire card. hard to believe they could devalue the points any further than they already have but I am sure they will find a way. When you have top tier awards capped at 95,000 points per night and still have top hotels charging way, way, way, more than that for one night Hilton points will soon be worth less than the Peso
Old Dec 15, 2017, 7:15 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond; National Car Rental Executive Elite
Just got my first monthly Amex reward points since the transition to Ascend.

The points still post the same day as the CC bill is paid. However, instead of a single deposit of points, the points came in three separate transactions. Again, all came same-day, but they were labeled "AMEX ASCEND CARD PTS ON ELIGIBLE SPEND" and "AMEX ASCEND BONUS POINTS". I had to add them up to make sure the appropriate amount was deposited. Everything looks OK so far.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 9:48 am

Programs: AA, US, WN, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat
Will it work the same for meeting the $40K spending requirement for diamond - with January spending on the Citi Card counting as well?

Thanks,
Old Dec 15, 2017, 11:24 am
Company Representative - Honors by Hilton

Programs: Hilton Honors
Hi all,

Thanks for the updated questions. Responses below:
  • If you currently have one of the Hilton Honors credit cards (Amex or Citi) you will not need to sign up for a new card. The current Amex cards will see the new benefits begin automatically on 1/18/18 and the current Citi cards will automatically transfer to Amex on 1/30/18.
  • In response to "There appears to be a discrepancy on the Amex website advertising the new cards (https://www.hiltonhonorscard.com/)"...The Aspire Card offers a weekend night reward upon signup (and should be delivered 60 days after card membership begins). Then, Aspire card holders receive a weekend night reward after each renewal year. Additionally, Aspire card holders can earn a weekend night reward by spending $60,000 on the card each calendar year.
  • The spend on the Citi Reserve card from 1/1-1/29 will also count toward the spend to reach Diamond status.

Thanks again!
Lauren
Old Dec 15, 2017, 11:37 am

Programs: AA, B6, UA, HH, WoH
  • The spend on the Citi Reserve card from 1/1-1/29 will also count toward the spend to reach Diamond status.
Assume the spend on the Amex Surpass card from 1/1-1/18 will also count toward the spend to reach Diamond status.
BUT...if your Amex Surpass card Closing Date is 12/17/2017, will spend from 12/18/17-12/31/17 count toward the spend to reach Diamond status in 2017 or 2018?
T&C suggests 2017, but would appreciate confirmation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.