Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2018] American Express Announces Two New Hilton Credit Cards

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE to 2018] American Express Announces Two New Hilton Credit Cards

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2017, 12:13 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by HonorsRepresentative
Hi all,

Thanks for the updated questions. Responses below:
  • If you currently have one of the Hilton Honors credit cards (Amex or Citi) you will not need to sign up for a new card. The current Amex cards will see the new benefits begin automatically on 1/18/18 and the current Citi cards will automatically transfer to Amex on 1/30/18.
  • In response to "There appears to be a discrepancy on the Amex website advertising the new cards (https://www.hiltonhonorscard.com/)"...The Aspire Card offers a weekend night reward upon signup (and should be delivered 60 days after card membership begins). Then, Aspire card holders receive a weekend night reward after each renewal year. Additionally, Aspire card holders can earn a weekend night reward by spending $60,000 on the card each calendar year.
  • The spend on the Citi Reserve card from 1/1-1/29 will also count toward the spend to reach Diamond status.

Thanks again!
Lauren
But...still not answered...if you do not currently have a Citi card, will there be sign-up bonuses for any of the new Amex cards?
Old Dec 15, 2017, 1:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
But...still not answered...if you do not currently have a Citi card, will there be sign-up bonuses for any of the new Amex cards?
Or, if you have one of the Citi cards, transition to Amex in January, and later close the card, will you be eligible for a sign up bonus in the future?
Old Dec 15, 2017, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by sannmann

Or, if you have one of the Citi cards, transition to Amex in January, and later close the card, will you be eligible for a sign up bonus in the future?

Lauren has been eerily silent on the many sign-up bonus questions. If there are to be none...say so.

All we want is to know how to position ourselves for which future cards we have/keep/want. What we don't want to happen is to go down a path and then find out it was completely wrong, and we feel screwed and had.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 2:02 pm

Programs: OW Emerald - HH Diamond
In her defense, she's has many plates to juggle on this forum. I think she does a great job. Remember these parts before we had a dedicated HH rep to monitor/reply.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by Abidjan
In her defense, she's has many plates to juggle on this forum. I think she does a great job. Remember these parts before we had a dedicated HH rep to monitor/reply.
I agree, she does a great job, and always keeps her equilibrium no matter what we throw at her...but she has come back many times to answer all sorts of questions, but none about the all-important (to most posters) sign-up bonuses on these new credit cards.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 3:39 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors, United, Delta
I agree, she does a great job, and always keeps her equilibrium no matter what we throw at her...but she has come back many times to answer all sorts of questions, but none about the all-important (to most posters) sign-up bonuses on these new credit cards.

Most companies generally dont don't like to spill beans on upcoming promotions, whether it's good or bad. Especially if it gives them more work to do. The transition is going to be a large undertaking of customer service answering enough as it is for just the swap to Amex...

Im just over here with my week old Surpass, wondering what benefit there is to keep spending on the Citi Reserve At this point. I made the 15k spend on Citi, Amex, and possibly the new Surpass/Ascend... think I'm going to have three cards stuffed in a sock drawer this year, as I'm hesitant to cancel any of them until I know if I have to keep them for a free night cert!
Old Dec 15, 2017, 8:24 pm

I could be mistaken, but I think that she answers the bonus question quite a long time ago. If I remember correctly, all she could say was that Amex would determine any sign up bonuses and who would be legible for them,
Old Dec 16, 2017, 3:28 am

Programs: Brand loyalty is for suckers
Why would she tell anyone what the sign-up bonuses will be, when Amex's official promo page doesn't mention it? Seriously, just wait. All of the cards will have some kind of bonus. It'll probably be between 50-125k HHonors points, with the higher end on the premium cards.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 8:05 am

Originally Posted by OhDoctor
Why would she tell anyone what the sign-up bonuses will be, when Amex's official promo page doesn't mention it? Seriously, just wait. All of the cards will have some kind of bonus. It'll probably be between 50-125k HHonors points, with the higher end on the premium cards.
IF...they acknowledge that they are brand new cards. What if you currently have the Surpass? Will you get a sign-up bonus when it becomes Ascend? (my Honors points already say they are from my "Ascend" card). But if I cancel my Surpass today, on January 18 will I be able to apply for a new Ascend card and get the bonus? Or will Amex say "the Surpass became the Ascend, so only one lifetime bonus which you already got when you applied for the Surpass many moons ago".

Those are the things I'd like to know. What to do right now. Cancel my Surpass or it won't matter since I can't ever get another bonus anyway?
Old Dec 16, 2017, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The cards are permanent.

Any signup bonus offers are temporary.

Sign-up bonus offers (not just at Amex, but any bank) are hardly ever announced before they're available.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

IF...they acknowledge that they are brand new cards. What if you currently have the Surpass? Will you get a sign-up bonus when it becomes Ascend? (my Honors points already say they are from my "Ascend" card). But if I cancel my Surpass today, on January 18 will I be able to apply for a new Ascend card and get the bonus? Or will Amex say "the Surpass became the Ascend, so only one lifetime bonus which you already got when you applied for the Surpass many moons ago".

Those are the things I'd like to know. What to do right now. Cancel my Surpass or it won't matter since I can't ever get another bonus anyway?
These are things no one will officially tell you (until it's too late). In fact, no one is likely to officially tell you afterwards either. It's from datapoints that we figure out such stuff most of the time, and datapoints are impossible until the cards are actually available (but which time it's clearly too late to cancel).

So you can either cancel now and figure out later whether that was worth it or not, or just not cancel and know that you won't be able to get another signup bonus on Ascend (but you will be able to get a signup bonus on Aspire and/or the business card, if there are signup bonuses for those).

And the more days you wait to make the decision, the less likely that canceling will allow you another bonus. Ie, if you had cancelled before people started being told their Surpass was already an Ascend (on statements or whatever), you would have a greater chance of the cancel "working". With every day, that chance lessens greatly.

You've been asking this for weeks, and the answer only gets worse with time.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 10:04 am

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
I figure the reason for that is one of the following:

a) Lauren has asked the people that decide signup bonuses, and has not been answered.
b) Lauren has asked and been refused details.
c) Lauren has asked and been given details but carefully instructed not to share them publicly.
d) Lauren has asked and been told that it's still TBD, and instructed not to share that publicly.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 10:50 am

Programs: Brand loyalty is for suckers

I think the consensus is you almost certainly won't get a signup bonus if you have the Surpass and it automatically becomes the Ascend. As for your second question, that's up in the air. And you won't know until January 18th.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 10:35 pm

Programs: DL Silver (aka, Delta AmEx PLUS), Starbucks Gold :)
Sorry all, searched this thread but nothing popped up... Question: If the $250 incidental follows the same "engine" as the AmEx Platinum, does it reset upon New Year's Day? Meaning, during the first year of membership for AmEx Plat, you essentially get double the amount of incidental reimbursement as it resets on January 1st. Does anyone know if the AmEx Hilton Aspire follows the same? If it does, it's a pretty good deal for the first year!
Old Dec 17, 2017, 4:13 am

Programs: AA, US, WN, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by BOSOGG
Assume the spend on the Amex Surpass card from 1/1-1/18 will also count toward the spend to reach Diamond status.
BUT...if your Amex Surpass card Closing Date is 12/17/2017, will spend from 12/18/17-12/31/17 count toward the spend to reach Diamond status in 2017 or 2018?
T&C suggests 2017, but would appreciate confirmation.
The T&C is correct.

If you are an existing Amex customer why wouldn't you ask them?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.