Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2018] American Express Announces Two New Hilton Credit Cards

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE to 2018] American Express Announces Two New Hilton Credit Cards

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2018, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Eujeanie
Look at the link in Post 630.

They even say the words "a new portfolio" of credit cards.

New name, new benefits, new annual fee...if it walks like a duck...
A portfolio is a collection. You can have a new collection which has old things in it, as long the collection of things is different than any previous collection of things.

So just because it's a new "portfolio" doesn't mean each card in it is totally new. The no-AF card is clearly just refreshed, since it doesn't get a new name.

Anyway, just as at one point a few years ago someone documented that AA had 7 different definitions of "domestic" vs'"international" depending on what exactly was the operational aspect being discussed (baggage vs meals vs upgrades vs cabin names, etc, etc), it's quite possible for Amex to consider a card "new" for some purposes and yet "not new" for other purposes!

So there's no point trying to "prove" that Amex considers the card "new" in some wording, because that's doesn't prove they consider the card "new" for all purposes.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 11:56 am

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, UA Million Miler Gold, Marriott Platinum
Since I have Lifetime Diamond, I am just waiting for Marriott to offer Top Tier on a credit card for free.....I will be all over it
Old Jan 13, 2018, 6:57 pm

Programs: AA LTP, UA, DL, HH, Marriott/SPG
My wife got the Amex from one of the Citi HH cards today. We had cancelled it a few weeks ago. The T&C says “as of 12/01/17”. It talks about activating the account on 1/30/18. It also states under the “Important Information About Your Account” paragraph: “... To cancel, call the number on the back of your Card on or after January 30, 2018”. I’m assuming that since we cancelled the account with Citi, the account will not work on 1/30/18. The card does have her original member since date (Amex not Citi). Either way this works out is fine.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 6:33 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold Elite, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Best Western Diamond Select
Originally Posted by jws5527
I've been a no-annual fee Hilton cardholder for many years, but with the recently announced changes, I plan on upgrading to the Surpass/Ascend card.

Currently, AMEX is offering a 75,000 point bonus (with $3k spending) upon upgrade to what is still the Surpass and the annual fee will be $75 (for the first year) as long as I upgrade by January 17; if I upgrade afterwards, the annual fee will be $95.

I'm considering delaying upgrading until after January 17. Have any other NAF cardholders who are considering upgrading to Ascend thought about waiting until after January 17 to upgrade?
I only just applied for and received the NAF card a few days ago. Working on required spend for the signup bonus (stalking airfares at the moment). Once those points hit my account, I plan to upgrade to Ascend.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 6:31 pm

Programs: AA (Gold)
Does the CARD act preclude you from moving from the Ascend to the Aspire if your account has been open less than one year? I opened my account back in July of 2017.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 12:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Has anyone called to UG their Acend cards to Aspire yet? Any bonus offers? Wiki says 1/20 but I thought I read as early as 1/17...
Old Jan 17, 2018, 1:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by mnredfox
Has anyone called to UG their Acend cards to Aspire yet? Any bonus offers? Wiki says 1/20 but I thought I read as early as 1/17...
Link?
Old Jan 17, 2018, 2:53 am

Programs: United 1K, Frontier 100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond/ Ambassador/ Milestoner
My card showed up today also. The 'activate on 30Jan18 or after' is odd. Hard to believe that you can upgrade to Aspire until these Ascend cards actually work.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 5:45 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
Aspire gets you diamond status. Other than that, what do you get for an extra $400? The $250 Hilton credit can be applied to exactly what expenses?

Also found it odd that my new Ascend card cannot be activated or confirmed online until Jan 30. I will try not to lose it before then!

Last edited by RobertS975; Jan 17, 2018 at 5:51 am
Old Jan 17, 2018, 6:55 am

Programs: OW Emerald - HH Diamond
No-fee Amex has arrived, replacing my no-fee Visa. Now awaiting the Ascend to arrive to replace my Surpass. Anyone else still waiting for their Ascend to arrive?
Old Jan 17, 2018, 7:14 am

Programs: United Premier Silver, Hilton Diamond
I have the Surpass card, and I had the Reserve card. My Reserve card transferred over to the Ascend card, which I received the other day. I assume my Surpass will be converted to an Ascend at some point, although I have received no official notification of that. I assume I'll just close the transferred account, however, I have already earned my free night from Citi for last year, so I will wait until I get that certificate to do so...

Last edited by ENG17; Jan 17, 2018 at 7:29 am
Old Jan 17, 2018, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
I still haven't received my Ascend card but I received the snail mail last month it was being converted with the last few digits of the account number
Old Jan 17, 2018, 9:12 am

So the new cards are launching tomorrow but there hasn't been any information regarding the sign-up bonus offers on the cards yet?
Old Jan 17, 2018, 9:28 am

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by agjil
So the new cards are launching tomorrow but there hasn't been any information regarding the sign-up bonus offers on the cards yet?
correct
Old Jan 17, 2018, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by agjil
Why would they announce the sign up bonuses before letting people apply? I think it makes more sense that they'd do the marketing push of bonuses and applications all at once.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.