Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2018] American Express Announces Two New Hilton Credit Cards

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE to 2018] American Express Announces Two New Hilton Credit Cards

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2018, 10:17 am

Programs: AA, US, WN, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by sannmann
I hate the Ascend card. Hate it. Loyal to Hilton; I guess that's the only reason I'm keeping it. Pay $95/year for the card; don't really have a use for Priority Pass (get lounge access through 1K status); don't see myself putting $15k on the card to get a free night; and earned Diamond last two years on nights- so, have no use for the Gold status that comes with the card.

Called the customer service line as my annual fee is due. Agent wouldn't budge on waiving the fee. Only offered me 10,000 Honors points. She also offered to downgrade me to the fee-free Honors card, which I've already had since 2011.

Even if I cancelled the card, I wouldn't be eligible to get a sign-up bonus for it again. And, paying $450/year for the Aspire is not worth it to me.

Anyone offered decent retention offers from Amex to keep their Ascend cards open?
10K points seems decent to me.
Old May 31, 2018, 8:39 am

Aspire card is mailed out by usps, but ours was mailed out on Saturday (after Wed night approval), and arrived on Monday. Does anyone else noticed that bonus 100K points post even before the statement with min psend generates?

Last edited by LilZeppelin; May 31, 2018 at 8:42 am Reason: qstn
Old May 31, 2018, 9:01 am

Programs: Navy A-4 Skyhawk, B727 FE/FO, S80 FO, B757/767 FO, B737 CA
Originally Posted by LilZeppelin
Aspire card is mailed out by usps, but ours was mailed out on Saturday (after Wed night approval), and arrived on Monday. Does anyone else noticed that bonus 100K points post even before the statement with min psend generates?
That's typical at Amex...most of the bonuses we've gotten (Delta, Hilton, and membership rewards) typically show up within a couple of days of the spending being met...not the statement being generated. It may not be true in all cases, but has been for us.
Old May 31, 2018, 3:07 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
I hate the Ascend card. Hate it. Loyal to Hilton; I guess that's the only reason I'm keeping it. Pay $95/year for the card; don't really have a use for Priority Pass (get lounge access through 1K status); don't see myself putting $15k on the card to get a free night; and earned Diamond last two years on nights- so, have no use for the Gold status that comes with the card.

Called the customer service line as my annual fee is due. Agent wouldn't budge on waiving the fee. Only offered me 10,000 Honors points. She also offered to downgrade me to the fee-free Honors card, which I've already had since 2011.

Even if I cancelled the card, I wouldn't be eligible to get a sign-up bonus for it again. And, paying $450/year for the Aspire is not worth it to me.

Anyone offered decent retention offers from Amex to keep their Ascend cards open?
I downgraded my Ascend card after moving Hilton charges to the new business card. Within 30 days of the downgrade, my account shows an upgrade offer, back to Ascend, with the standard 100k bonus. YMMV.
Old May 31, 2018, 3:24 pm

How is your Ascend already up for renewal? The card just came out like 4 months ago? I chatted with Amex the other day to try to get the free night promo they are currently having but was denied.
Old May 31, 2018, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by howie411
How is your Ascend already up for renewal? The card just came out like 4 months ago? I chatted with Amex the other day to try to get the free night promo they are currently having but was denied.
The previous Hilton Amex card was renamed Ascend with no change in renewal date.
Old May 31, 2018, 8:30 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott nobody

Was your Ascend card converted from the old Surpass? If so, what benefits you had with the Surpass that the new Ascend does not have?
Old Jun 1, 2018, 10:41 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
Originally Posted by howie411
My Citi Honors Reserve Visa card annual fee date was every May. Amex kept the annual fee dates the same.

Originally Posted by EdofFX
Was your Ascend card converted from the old Surpass? If so, what benefits you had with the Surpass that the new Ascend does not have?
No, I had the Citi Honors Reserve Visa. When Amex bought the portfolio from Citi, my card was converted into the Ascend card. Challenge is still that Amex is not accepted at as many places as Visa, especially overseas.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 11:36 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,

Why not cancel the card and get the no-fee AMEX Hilton? 75,000 sign-up bonus.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 12:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
Originally Posted by Adelphos
Why not cancel the card and get the no-fee AMEX Hilton? 75,000 sign-up bonus.
I already addressed the no-fee Amex in my post.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 8:29 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott nobody

No, I had the Citi Honors Reserve Visa. When Amex bought the portfolio from Citi, my card was converted into the Ascend card. Challenge is still that Amex is not accepted at as many places as Visa, especially overseas.
Agreed, AMEX is harder to use. It just is not accepted in as many places. For that, I use CSR instead. I had the Citi Honors Reserve as well, but cancelled it in December before it got converted to AMEX. I applied for the Ascend and has gotten the 100,000 points in sign on bonus already.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 1:57 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by farnorthtrader
Very strict, like Hyatt. I tried to use one two weeks after it was going to expire and was not able to.
Ouh, thanks for sharing your experience. Were these free nights from the previous AMEX surpass cards?
Old Jun 4, 2018, 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by bluestrudels
Ouh, thanks for sharing your experience. Were these free nights from the previous AMEX surpass cards?
They were from Citi, however, the restrictions seem to be entirely within Hilton’s control, not the bank that issued the card.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 7:53 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by farnorthtrader

They were from Citi, however, the restrictions seem to be entirely within Hilton’s control, not the bank that issued the card.
I wished they can relax on those extension rules like Marriott.
I guess I have to plan my CC sign ups very carefully so that I can stack those nights up together.
Thanks for sharing again anyways.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 10:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Question on the timing of the Aspire Free Weekend night. I am taking advantage of the 100,000 point upgrade offer on my Ascend card. I already have my $15k Ascend free night in my account, received it in April. Will my Aspire free night drop immediately? (Say, within the first billing cycle of my upgraded card?) Looking to book a full weekend using both certs...

Doubt I will keep the Aspire card for my than 1 year, but for $450 I'll take 100k HH plus a free weekend night. The place I plan to use the free nights is also one of the listed Hilton Resorts, so I suppose if we run some incidentals there I'd get some credit for that too? (up to $250?).

Also - anyone know if Main Cabin Extra upgrades on AA count as a qualifying airline fee? I don't ever pay airline fees now, but if MCE at booking time counts, I suppose I'd get some value there. Can't count on MCE as an AA Gold - at least not good non-middle seats.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.