Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2018] American Express Announces Two New Hilton Credit Cards

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE to 2018] American Express Announces Two New Hilton Credit Cards

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2018, 1:28 pm
pjs

Originally Posted by sdnativeboy

I am unsure if it works differently for upgrades to Aspire, but I opened a new (non-upgraded) Aspire on May 7 and have yet to receive my free night. I believe it comes about 30 days after the statement in which your annual fee posts (so that you cannot cancel and keep the free night). This may be different for upgraded accounts.
I just called about this, because I opened the card on May 2nd and have a 2 night stay coming up at the Conrad Koh Samui (one night already covered by the Surpass free night offer from last year) and would like the 95k points back. They first said it's upon renewal, at which point I corrected the rep and she corrected herself. Then she said it's 8-14 weeks, so I may have it in time (July 28 stay) or I may not. I already earned the 100k signup bonus.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by pjs
I just called about this, because I opened the card on May 2nd and have a 2 night stay coming up at the Conrad Koh Samui (one night already covered by the Surpass free night offer from last year) and would like the 95k points back. They first said it's upon renewal, at which point I corrected the rep and she corrected herself. Then she said it's 8-14 weeks, so I may have it in time (July 28 stay) or I may not. I already earned the 100k signup bonus.
I still have not received it. It has been a little over eight weeks.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 6:37 am
pjs

I still have not received it. It has been a little over eight weeks.
Well, I would call Hilton and nag, because lo and behold, I received the email this morning stating I had earned my annual free night and "You will receive an email from Hilton Honors containing the reward number and booking instructions within the next 8-14 weeks." When I got the Surpass free night, it only took a couple of days between this email and the one with the reward code so hopefully I'll receive it before I leave the country in 10 days.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 6:48 am

So maybe it just me who didn't realize this but the way Amex handles points for their cards (At least the Ascend) is odd. The other day I was looking at my statement after staying at a Hilton. The room cost was $404.70, so I should have gotten 4856.4 points (12x). But instead the way Amex does the points is 3X points on everything and then an additional 9 bonus points to bring it up to 12x. So for Hilton Honors Brands I show 3642 bonus points which is $404 x 9. And then $1214.1 for regular points. (3X)

Why would they do this, why not just give the 12x on the base price?
Old Jul 5, 2018, 11:57 am
pjs

Originally Posted by howie411
So maybe it just me who didn't realize this but the way Amex handles points for their cards (At least the Ascend) is odd. The other day I was looking at my statement after staying at a Hilton. The room cost was $404.70, so I should have gotten 4856.4 points (12x). But instead the way Amex does the points is 3X points on everything and then an additional 9 bonus points to bring it up to 12x. So for Hilton Honors Brands I show 3642 bonus points which is $404 x 9. And then $1214.1 for regular points. (3X)

I'm pretty sure the answer to this and all other quirky points posting questions is: IT
Old Jul 5, 2018, 12:34 pm

Maybe because they have different flavors of the Hilton card with different bonus categories (e.g.: 14x for Aspire vs. 12x for Ascend and Business on Hilton stays). It may just be programmatically easier to calculate the bonuses on the base points. It may also make changing the bonus categories or multipliers a little simpler. Just a guess, though.

As the consumer, I find the breakdown to be more informative than a lump total if I need to calculate whether the bonuses were correct.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 12:53 pm

Maybe because they have different flavors of the Hilton card with different bonus categories (e.g.: 14x for Aspire vs. 12x for Ascend and Business on Hilton stays). It may just be programmatically easier to calculate the bonuses on the base points. It may also make changing the bonus categories or multipliers a little simpler. Just a guess, though.

As the consumer, I find the breakdown to be more informative than a lump total if I need to calculate whether the bonuses were correct.
Well the annoying thing is I don't know of an easy way to see how many points you get per a specific charge. I basically have to wait for an Amex statement and then you can see the points / bonus points.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 1:01 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Well the annoying thing is I don't know of an easy way to see how many points you get per a specific charge. I basically have to wait for an Amex statement and then you can see the points / bonus points.
Even then you just see the total points on the front of the statement - when we get ours, I go through the whole list of charges and mark down 3, 3, 6, 3, 6, 12, 6 , etc. then my ex-accountant husband does the calculating. At least with the Marriott credit card, right on your on-line statement, you can click on each charge and it will show you whether it is 1, 2, or 5x the amount charged, depending on category.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by pjs
Well, I would call Hilton and nag, because lo and behold, I received the email this morning stating I had earned my annual free night and "You will receive an email from Hilton Honors containing the reward number and booking instructions within the next 8-14 weeks." When I got the Surpass free night, it only took a couple of days between this email and the one with the reward code so hopefully I'll receive it before I leave the country in 10 days.
Same. My code came within a couple of days of hitting the spend.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 10:27 am

Programs: AA, US, WN, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
Even then you just see the total points on the front of the statement - when we get ours, I go through the whole list of charges and mark down 3, 3, 6, 3, 6, 12, 6 , etc. then my ex-accountant husband does the calculating. At least with the Marriott credit card, right on your on-line statement, you can click on each charge and it will show you whether it is 1, 2, or 5x the amount charged, depending on category.
You could also go to the pie chart on the Amex website and drill down on bonus categories such as restaurants to see your total spending for that category and the individual charges.

I'm comfortable enough with Amex to not check the math - if anything they tend to include purchases like convenience stores in gas stations and liquor stores in groceries that boost my bonus points.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 11:35 am

You can do this on the website -- go to "Statement and Activity" and click "Preview New Version." Be aware that it can take like at least a few days after the transactions posts before point activity information is available.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 11:45 am

Programs: AA (Gold)
Hit my $15k spend yesterday on my Ascend for the free weekend night. I’m wanting to do a product change on this card...how long does it take to receive the email from Hilton/Amex with the free night promo code? I don’t want to jeopardize getting the code by initiating the product change before the code is generated.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by ckiggins
Hit my $15k spend yesterday on my Ascend for the free weekend night. I’m wanting to do a product change on this card...how long does it take to receive the email from Hilton/Amex with the free night promo code? I don’t want to jeopardize getting the code by initiating the product change before the code is generated.
See post #1377.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 12:23 pm

Programs: AA (Gold)
Originally Posted by smmrfld
See post #1377.
Thanks. And funny enough, I just got the email from Amex two minutes ago. They must be psychic.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 1:24 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by nall
You can do this on the website -- go to "Statement and Activity" and click "Preview New Version." Be aware that it can take like at least a few days after the transactions posts before point activity information is available.
I must be doing something wrong? I did as directed above, clicked on a charge from several days ago that should be 6x (a supermarket), and it just shows the regular dollar amount of the charge? I thought this new way would show something like $40 charge/240 points.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.