Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2019, 12:15 am

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
Originally Posted by mikewhyatt
So I guess the real question is how is the snorkeling at this “sun” resort

But regardless you took this whole ordeal in great stride. Quite frankly I find it dangerous that they would just take you to a random island and have you held up there for a couple days. But I guess there was no other option due to the weather.
There is a Sun Aqua Vilu Reef, was that the place?
Old Aug 14, 2019, 2:03 am

Programs: BA GGL; Virgin Gold; HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
Really sorry to hear of this debacle, Splotly. Sounds like TMA are 100% responsible as they have the obligation to ferry passengers to and from a destination and, since you departed your resort with more than enough time to get to Male before sunset, the only thing that could have stopped them from living up to their bargain as per their T&C (I presume) is the plane breaking down or bad weather - neither of which was the reason they didn't fulfil their end of the bargain. I would first read their contract then, if applicable, take them to court.
And yes, I would have demanded to stay at the St. Regis.

When you said you were the only pax except for some locals going back to Male, did you mean the only pax on the flight to this other island or on the flight from Mirihi?
Yes - we (and the couple of locals) were the only ones on the flight from Mirihi - they were supposed to be picking 10 up from St Regis and then heading to Male. Apparently the story is that those 10 from St Regis were put on a Manta (ie domestic flight) instead but TMA didn’t know so waited for them.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 2:05 am

So I guess the real question is how is the snorkeling at this “sun” resort

But regardless you took this whole ordeal in great stride. Quite frankly I find it dangerous that they would just take you to a random island and have you held up there for a couple days. But I guess there was no other option due to the weather.
Snorkelling looked like it might be decent to be fair (and were plenty of rays in the water) but we were outta there as fast as possible so snatched a seaplane out at 7am even though not on the passenger list! Now sat more happily back at Mirihi where the snorkelling is great - super clear water and a reef showing the first (minor) signs of new growth.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 2:10 am

Originally Posted by storewanderer
There is a Sun Aqua Vilu Reef, was that the place?
I think it was actually - although I really didn’t take any notice of the name beyond seeing it had ‘sun’ in it. I’m also probably being pretty unfair on that place - it just definitely wasn’t my sort of place (real all inclusive atmosphere) and certainly not the Conrad. Funky room but a bit plastic/holiday-inn feel. Staff there super as seems to be the case with everyone in the Maldives.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 2:20 am

...And yes, I would have demanded to stay at the St. Regis.
Of that I have absolutely no doubt, and you’d have probably been such a pain in the arse they’d have kicked the current guests out of the presidential suite and let you have it. Us brits are just clueless when it comes to standing up for stuff!

...looking forward to finally meeting you at Conrad over New Year!! I’ve invested in a spare suitcase so I’ve room for a drone (with 8K video and your room number plugged in), a blowup pink flamingo (supersized, of course), and some quality B&O directional speakers (so I can relay the New Year party directly into your veins!)... happy days! Anyone else want me to take any other pressies along for our top forum buddy??
Old Aug 14, 2019, 4:17 am

Programs: HH Diamond, BAEC
Spotly, can you get a family of inflatables? Like maybe a family of flamingos and a family of unicorns? Maybe some donuts too? A wide variety of inflatables, the more the merrier as we know that MaldivesFreak would appreciate it all the more then.

I would love to be a fly on the wall for this LOL.

Last edited by pineapple_09; Aug 14, 2019 at 4:24 am
Old Aug 14, 2019, 5:01 am

Originally Posted by pineapple_09
Spotly, can you get a family of inflatables? Like maybe a family of flamingos and a family of unicorns? Maybe some donuts too? A wide variety of inflatables, the more the merrier as we know that MaldivesFreak would appreciate it all the more then.

I would love to be a fly on the wall for this LOL.
Genius idea, unicorns would be superb (Googling where to buy a flock of them right now)... +gonna try to wangle the villa next door to his. Do you reckon he’s gonna be fun in real life or a right crummy old sod.... who doesn’t love a good unicorn (+have checked the wiki and seems we’re good to go with operation unicorn).
Old Aug 14, 2019, 5:01 am

Originally Posted by Splotly

Of that I have absolutely no doubt, and you’d have probably been such a pain in the arse they’d have kicked the current guests out of the presidential suite and let you have it. Us brits are just clueless when it comes to standing up for stuff!

...looking forward to finally meeting you at Conrad over New Year!! I’ve invested in a spare suitcase so I’ve room for a drone (with 8K video and your room number plugged in), a blowup pink flamingo (supersized, of course), and some quality B&O directional speakers (so I can relay the New Year party directly into your veins!)... happy days! Anyone else want me to take any other pressies along for our top forum buddy??
Maybe you can get “The World” to make a stop there too?
Old Aug 14, 2019, 8:47 am

Bit of a smart geezer, this Splotly is. It's a combination of that crappy, year-round overcast weather you poms have and the massive exposure to the sun when you get to somewhere like the Maldives. The vitamin D rush makes you guys go nuts, LOL. At least it gives you the best sense of humour on the planet.

I’ve invested in a spare suitcase so I’ve room for a drone (with 8K video and your room number plugged in), a blowup pink flamingo (supersized, of course), and some quality B&O directional speakers (so I can relay the New Year party directly into your veins!)... happy days!
Damn, you've thought of everything!

MF racks his brain. He thinks of a plan. A plan so cunning he could put a tail on it and call it a weasel! He adds the following to his shopping list:
* extra blowdarts
* UHF jamming equipment
* power surger (to blow up your B&O speakers, heh)
* or I could just get a miniature EMP emitter for both of those so I could kill a hundred birds with one stone on Dec 31.....

Maybe you can get “The World” to make a stop there too?
Uh oh!

Shopping list continues.....and finally the most difficult item to procure.....
* a submarine armed with at least 10 torpedoes

But goddamn, that's gonna put my budget way up there! I think I'll try and source some donations. I'm sure there are many is a horde who want it sunk! Muhahahaha!
And thank god I won't have to ask anyone for permission to dock. I'd be sod outta luck if I was going to the Waldorf Ithaafushi
Old Aug 14, 2019, 9:05 am

What has been the response from TMA, if any?
Old Aug 14, 2019, 11:14 am

What has been the response from TMA, if any?
The resort (Mirihi) is trying for me first. They’ve had quite a few calls with them today and say they feel the message is starting to get somewhere. Namely that this wasn’t a weather related matter, this was just them not delivering up the service when it was within their control to do so and making decisions that simply weren’t reasonable ones etc. Ultimately of course I still expect the 2 fingers, but if so then I shall have some sport with them myself - just for fun. And boy can I be a difficult and creative twat when I’m enjoying the game.

Turns out that Mirihi pay extra (rather than the standard seaplane transfer price) to have a guarantee that their guests only have at most 1 stop. Doesn’t affect my particular situation (as that was only 1 stop) but the relevance is that TMA have been having quite a few problems lately and resorts are giving them a hard time - which is important because there is emerging competition with seaplanes and more coming, so TMA have been taking steps to get resorts more locked in and onside.... which is a lever being played out on my behalf (which is really good of the resort to do).

I like your list. Cunning. And proud of you for attempting to play fair and not including sandpaper anywhere up your sleeve this time.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 12:17 pm

That's right, guv. Sun cream won't help you in the least if I bring my sandpaper.....

Good to see there is at least some positive progress. And like with the Waldorf, people need to kick up a stink and get stuck into them when the s**t hits the fan, otherwise they'll just walk all over us.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 8:44 pm

That's right, guv. Sun cream won't help you in the least if I bring my sandpaper.....

Good to see there is at least some positive progress. And like with the Waldorf, people need to kick up a stink and get stuck into them when the s**t hits the fan, otherwise they'll just walk all over us.
oh I’ve no doubt your lot used suncream on the ball in the first test match.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 2:34 am

Which test match was this that we cheated in? Too many to keep track of!
Old Aug 15, 2019, 9:57 am

Programs: Avios Hunter
Sounds like a really poor experience.

I would contact the hotel you stayed at, advise them of your experience and ask them who is responsible. They are the people you paid, so they "sold" the connection and arranged the time for you to be collected by TMA, based on the time your flight departed Male. You had no input in the decision process. And you have no practical alternative other than TMA.

Plane took off on time, issue was totally within TMAs control. They knew by waiting too long, you were going to be stranded, and took the decision to wait and strand you. If they thought it was goin to be tight, they should have arranged the schedule such that you did not have to go to the StR.

Still think your hotel is the one that's liable.

I would also think that there would be a case for claiming from insurance under "missed connection". I would file the claim anyway, and then if you get paid back from another source you can close the claim.

Last edited by tangey; Aug 15, 2019 at 12:09 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.