Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2018, 11:13 pm

Programs: M&M SEN (*G), HH Diamond
Originally Posted by gnomey

hilton has a submarine? is it the big one where you are inside confined space or the individual helmet like submarine suit where you walk on seabed yourself?
It's really a glass bottom boat, a Looker 320.

Last edited by goliath; Nov 9, 2018 at 5:22 am
Old Nov 8, 2018, 11:44 pm

Actually, on the subject of Muraka and millions of points, I'm guessing they'd probably want something like 10mil for a night. I wonder if they would do say a million or two for 2hours in there, say lunch or dinner. They'd surely get some takers. Are you reading this, Stefano?
Old Nov 9, 2018, 2:45 am

Programs: BA GGL; Virgin Gold; HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by brodielayne
If I recall correctly it opened up on Nov 1st. There was certainly activity there all week, and it did not look like work was going on. As one employee put it, the room looks like a shoebox from a distance. It stands out like a sore thumb due to the bright white color, a stark contrast from all the other buildings on property. They should either paint it or clad it with wood to make it blend in better, IMO.
It reminds me of that fiasco a few years back with tatty orange sun loungers... I was so surprised that I asked them about the white when they showed us around it and specifically asked why they’d decided not to use natural wood - and it was very conscious decision accordingly to the project manager - they simply wanted it to stand out as clearly different. Achieved.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 2:47 am

Programs: BA GGL; Virgin Gold; HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by lhrhappy
Anybody brave enough to call the award desk and ask how many points per night?
I think we all feel a bit let down by MaldivesFreak that he hasn’t done that already for us and added it to the Wiki. Poor, very poor.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by Splotly
I think we all feel a bit let down by MaldivesFreak that he hasn’t done that already for us and added it to the Wiki. Poor, very poor.
Guilty as charged!
Old Nov 9, 2018, 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by goliath
It's really a glass bottom boat, a Looker 320.
No. They did actually have a sub. It was a Nemo 100. Check this out: https://www.tripadvisor.com/Location...li_Island.html

Last edited by MaldivesFreak; Nov 9, 2018 at 12:52 pm
Old Nov 9, 2018, 12:53 pm

i also want to try the weekly Maldivian night affair on Monday but also had the same concern - whether can I eat my money’s worth lol. I love spice and fish and all.

Perhaps I have to fast all day or something lol

That does help.

is there any way to eat the food offered at Maldivian night but pay ala carte price? I guess none of the restaurants on property offer the similar kind of food?
No and you are correct for the most part. I think there was a Maldivian dish at one of the restaurants quite a few years back - a (tuna?) salad I think - but I think there was only one and the menus have been changed recently so it doesn't really count.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 4:00 pm

Returned last night after a 6 day stay at this fine property. Our first 3 nights in a DBV with the remaining 3 nights in a DWV. Overall we had a great trip and look forward to a future stay. Below are my impressions of the resort:

Pros:
- While occupancy was at a stated 80%, it felt like the resort was rather empty. The biggest crowds we saw were at Vilu happy hour.
- Vilu Happy hour was enjoyable, and we managed 3-4 drinks in the hour. The staff was always moving, and worked hard to keep everyone happy.
- Vilu breakfast was preferred to the buffet at Atoll. I also liked the fact that you could get some sparkling wine to start the day.
- Deluxe Beach villa really is a nice room, with plenty of space, especially once you incorporate the outside areas. Our plunge pool was long enough to do laps(room 227).
- We enjoyed all the food options with the lone exceptions of the Wagyu hamburger(Meatloaf) and Maldivian night(mystery meat). Sunset Grill was our favorite, though we also thoroughly enjoyed Mandhoo and Vilu.
- Quiet zone was our go to on several days where we relaxed in the pool, enjoyed happy hour after Vilu happy hour, and fired up the hookah. You can order food here, and it arrives rather fast considering they do not have their own kitchen.
- I thought the sand on the beach in most areas was outstanding, especially the closer you got to the water. A few areas it was a little rough, but for the most part it was better than expected after reading several complaints.
- Massages were a bargain, relative to the other pricing on the property. Both Spa Retreat and the Over Water Spa were enjoyable, with incredibly solid staff. I did prefer the Over Water Spa, watching the sea life for half of the massage experience. The undergarments provided are rather interesting and well............ I have a hard time finding a solid massage therapist, and the two that I used were both on point and did a great job. We booked a package at the Conrad lounge awaiting our seaplane. We both received a 75 minute massage, as well as a lunch at Mandhoo for a little over $800 including the 23% tax/service charge. As a Diamond they offered 15 additional minutes for one of the massages. I asked about the 30 minutes I had read about and was told it was 15 minutes. It was a set menu at Mandhoo, however since I do not eat fish the chef offered me to pick anything off the A la carte menu, so I went with the tenderloin.
- Housekeeping did a great job with overall cleanliness, and also once asked kept the room well stocked with bottled water. I like to drink when on beach vacations, and I never once felt dehydrated as a result of the plentiful water offered up.
- Weather was damn near perfect, with one day providing an overcast sky with a little afternoon rain. The Quiet Zone bar provided a great spot to hang out while it rained.
- Staff was awesome! I did not come across a single employee who did not offer to the great stay. The GM Stefano was interesting to talk with, and provided a look at his place, which is a nice setup sort of hidden on the smaller island.
- Speaking of the smaller island, this would be my preferred spot to stay when we return. I like all the island has to offer, and it is a bit more laid back than the larger island.
- Received a late check out right up until our seaplane departed in the afternoon. This allowed half of a day of additional chilling with the opportunity to shower up right before we left.

Cons:
- It's pricey! My wife and I averaged roughly $1k a day on food and drink, with the included breakfast and happy hour as a Hilton Diamond. We likely drink more than most, so take that into account when planning.
- Felt like we overpaid for the DWV and would gladly pick a SWV next time. This would have saved us nearly $1k, for almost the same room from what I can tell.
- Sea life was less than expected around the DWV. I only have our amazing room at the Conrad Bora Bora to compare it to, which is not a fair compare as our room in Bora Bora was in much deeper water.
Overall we had a great stay and will make sure to stay longer due to the long trip from Los Angeles. I should add that I prefer a one stop thru Doha vs the added stop going via Singapore. Singapore Airlines recently started up a non stop from LAX-SIN, and we might take advantage of that going forward as the timing is rather good, though was not available when we booked.

Trip cost:
Airfare was only taxes outside of the seaplane expense as we used points. Seaplane is $590 including taxes per person
Singapore Airlines First LAX-ICN-SIN, Silkair Business from SIN-MLE.
Qatar Business MLE-DOH-LAX.
Room rate was around $2k total, which was upgrade pricing for all 6 nights as we used 475,000 HH points for our 6 night stay.
Nanny $1,500
Total cost around $9-10k.

A big thanks to all who have contributed to this thread.

Last edited by brodielayne; Nov 9, 2018 at 4:02 pm Reason: Spelling
Old Nov 9, 2018, 4:22 pm

Qatar Business MLE-DOH-LAX.
Were you ever concerned about the Saudi-led blockade of Qatar? It looks like their product and award availability are both absolutely stellar, but I have a hard time making plans that could be derailed by a political scuffle.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

incredible wiki and fascinating posts re muraka details !

less impressive (and not unique like muraka) but cost a lot less >
atlantisthepalm.com/hotel-rooms/signature-suites/signature-suites-underwater ($4K)
rwsentosa.com/en/hotels/ocean-suite/overview

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Nov 9, 2018 at 9:31 pm
Old Nov 9, 2018, 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by lhrhappy
Were you ever concerned about the Saudi-led blockade of Qatar? It looks like their product and award availability are both absolutely stellar, but I have a hard time making plans that could be derailed by a political scuffle.
Ironically I booked my trip dates to get away from politics. LOL
I had zero concern, in fact my only concern was the rhetoric about Qatar leaving Oneworld, and what impact that might have on my award ticket. DOH is a really nice airport with rather thorough screening at the gate.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 9:21 am

Programs: HH Diamond, BAEC
Ironically I booked my trip dates to get away from politics. LOL
I had zero concern, in fact my only concern was the rhetoric about Qatar leaving Oneworld, and what impact that might have on my award ticket. DOH is a really nice airport with rather thorough screening at the gate.
Did you experience the new Q seats or the older business class seats? I’m trying to decide between Qatar, Emirates and Etihad (business class) for our trip back to Rangali since BA don’t fly to MLE during the months of May / June / July.

i assume you took the 20:20 flight out of MLE? Do you get to use the Conrad seaplane lounge on departure if the flight is in the evening?
Old Nov 12, 2018, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by pineapple_09
i assume you took the 20:20 flight out of MLE? Do you get to use the Conrad seaplane lounge on departure if the flight is in the evening?
Use of the lounge upon departure is not complimentary for anyone--even diamond members--anymore. If you want it, you must pay the supplement. And it's normally only open until 6PM.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 12:17 pm

Did you experience the new Q seats or the older business class seats? I’m trying to decide between Qatar, Emirates and Etihad (business class) for our trip back to Rangali since BA don’t fly to MLE during the months of May / June / July.

Qsuites is not coming till next Feb for this route, however the current setup is more than comfortable for the flight. Out of the three I would stick with Qatar, especially if you have AA miles to burn. We did take the 20:20 flight and did not use the Conrad lounge as it does not have much more to offer than the airport lounge. Luckily we had a later seaplane and were not in the airport all that long.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 12:49 pm

Hi Pineapple - I am flying Qatar DOH-MLE this Thursday (8:25am departure) and the aircraft is showing QSuites. If you have not already done so, you should check out the Qatar Airways board on FT - there is an entire thread dedicated to the QSuites discussion. If you'd like my feedback, please PM me and let me know if you have any specific questions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.