Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2019, 3:50 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
My recollection is that DSDs went on the dive boat and did a "real" dive with the rest of us. The PADI standard is four DSDs with one dive guide, but I doubt there would be four DSDs there at once. You might do an intro dive in the lagoon. I doubt that the DSDs would do the house reef unless the boat was going there.

If you want more info on DSD, PM me and I can ask my son the scuba instructor.

You can also go to your local dive shop and do a couple of weekends of training and then do your open water dives in the Maldives and wind up certified after two dives.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by mendezka
I'm going to take this a step further though, if possible could anyone suggest 1-2 dishes (Dinner time menu) at your favorite restaurant(s) on the island? I'll be here for 6 days,&neither myself nor my wife drink. So no need for alcohol suggestions. Since we will most likely only be enjoying each restaurant once, I don't want to waste it ordering the wrong thing! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! (Also, if you know off the top of your head a rough estimate on the price of your favorite dish, please list as well).
My favorite meal on the island thus far was at Mandhoo. Went for dinner and had a later reservation (8:30pm) so was able to take over folks sitting on the outside corner. Gorgeous at night! Anyway, to your question, had the Spatchcock starter ($28++) and the Lamb special main ($50++, it was the special for the month and without the chickpeas). Spatchcock had a nice crisp and an especially delicious thai-like sauce. Lamb was very tender with a grain crust and a flavorful side of baby onions. There was also a chicken wrap amuse bouche that was good!

Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
You've gotta be kidding? That's a flotilla!
No kidding! Our guide was quite impressed by it that he started counting... "I give up at 40!" Said the most was about 50, though.

Last edited by Canarsie; Apr 4, 2019 at 9:41 pm Reason: Consolidation.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 2:34 am

Programs: LH Sen, HH Diamond, IC RA
Originally Posted by jchu7
No kidding! Our guide was quite impressed by it that he started counting... "I give up at 40!" Said the most was about 50, though.
Some more information regarding whale shark snorkling:
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/life...nightmare-for/

or some more scientific facts and studies available from https://maldiveswhalesharkresearch.org/
MWSRP was located on Rangali until a few years ago.
https://maldiveswhalesharkresearch.o...-mpa-maldives/
https://maldiveswhalesharkresearch.o...uth-ari-atoll/
https://maldiveswhalesharkresearch.o...toll-maldives/
You can request the full abstracts.

Everey one should be aware, that the whale shark activities are neither ecofriendly nor sustainable.
According to MWSRP 29% of the whale sharks suffered injuries, for example from boat propellers...

Last edited by tom-schmitt; Apr 5, 2019 at 2:42 am
Old Apr 5, 2019, 5:11 am

I was under the impression DSD was at the lagoon per the brochure:

Experience a real scuba dive in our tranquil lagoon! What’s involved? - First, you’ll complete the participant form and listen to a short briefing given by your diving instructor. - Next, you’ll engage in a practice session conducted in the shallows of the lagoon to get you familiar with a few simple diving skills. - Once you’ve mastered these skills and you feel ready to go on, your instructor will guide you on a lagoon dive to a maximum depth of 8 m. Congratulations, you’ve accomplished your first real dive! Now that you’ve had a taste of what diving is all about, perhaps you’d like to do some more dives or even enroll in a course. You can talk to your instructor after the dive to discuss these options further.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 7:04 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Headed to the airport now, 30 hours of travel time ahead of me but well worth the reward!!
Old Apr 5, 2019, 8:28 am

Originally Posted by Flo1302
I was under the impression that some refurbished DBV still have a bathtub (newer shaped like BV) and some have day beds instead. In fact I have seen pictures of both. Today, they confirmed to me the following: all refurbished DBV bathtubs are replaced by Day Beds. What?
Sounds like a generic reply. You'd best email the Director of Rooms for that specific information. Ask for his / her email address from the resort's main email address. I used to have the old DoR's email address but she has left the resort so sorry I can't help you here.

Originally Posted by mendezka
I've seen a lot of posts regarding the best restaurants to eat at & read through a lot of the dining guides from @MaldivesFreak. Super super helpful from everyone! I'm going to take this a step further though, if possible could anyone suggest 1-2 dishes (Dinner time menu) at your favorite restaurant(s) on the island? I'll be here for 6 days,&neither myself nor my wife drink. So no need for alcohol suggestions. Since we will most likely only be enjoying each restaurant once, I don't want to waste it ordering the wrong thing! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! (Also, if you know off the top of your head a rough estimate on the price of your favorite dish, please list as well).
I can also recommend what @jchu7 recommends at Mandhoo.
For Vilu there is the chocolate fondant which everyone loves and isn't that expensive at around $18++. Over the last 3 years there have been a lot of changes in the menus there (at Vilu) and Ufaa and I think for Sunset Grill too. The first changes happened before our last visit (after Ayyoub left), leaving out quite a few items from the previous menus (most notably Vilu's), but which we still managed to get anyway because we specifically asked for them. At Vilu there was the chocolate fondant mentioned above (to the dismay of a lot of regulars they changed it to a chocolate and hazelnut fondant after Ayyoub left) and another was the wagyu beef salad prepared by the waiter at the table. Really really good!
BTW, have you taken a look at the latest menus from Rangali's website?
Old Apr 5, 2019, 1:24 pm

Programs: LH SEN, IB *S, AA PLT
Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
Sounds like a generic reply. You'd best email the Director of Rooms for that specific information. Ask for his / her email address from the resort's main email address. I used to have the old DoR's email address but she has left the resort so sorry I can't help you here.
Just got the following reply from a different person (Revenue&Sales Executive) as I forwarded a picture of a newly refurbished DBV with bathtub stating something must be wrong in the reply:
“Allow me to assist you in regards of the new renovated Deluxe Beach Villa.
The picture you have sent was during the transition of the renovation, this bathtub has been removed in all the new deluxe beach villa and replaced by a daybed.
You may consider you still have the pool and direct access to the beach.
The new Deluxe Beach Villa will give you the option to have the shower inside or outside, as the room is featured with both options now.“
this is still strange to me but anyway, let’s see what villa we get assigned and will report back if of interest. If anyone having stayed in a refurbished DBV with still a bathtub outside but not villa 140 let me know pls
Old Apr 5, 2019, 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by tom-schmitt
Everey one should be aware, that the whale shark activities are neither ecofriendly nor sustainable.
According to MWSRP 29% of the whale sharks suffered injuries, for example from boat propellers...
Thanks for those links and the info. Happy to have never gone on one of those excursions to date and, after reading that, will never do and will encourage everyone I can not to go on one.

Originally Posted by Flo1302
The picture you have sent was during the transition of the renovation, this bathtub has been removed in all the new deluxe beach villa and replaced by a daybed.
Hmmm.....so a swing constitutes a daybed, eh? That's a new one.

Last edited by MaldivesFreak; Apr 5, 2019 at 2:00 pm
Old Apr 5, 2019, 2:11 pm

Programs: Hilton Lifetime Diamond and United Global Services
Originally Posted by JRV62
Headed to the airport now, 30 hours of travel time ahead of me but well worth the reward!!
Have a great time - Interested to see if they offer you any complimentary upgrade^

United cancels EWR to DEL flights for two weeks - This may have a severe impact of those trying to travel via India to the Maldives!

Last edited by Canarsie; Apr 24, 2019 at 12:04 am Reason: Consolidation.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 4:35 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, BAEC
Originally Posted by tom-schmitt
Some more information regarding whale shark snorkling:
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/life...nightmare-for/

or some more scientific facts and studies available from https://maldiveswhalesharkresearch.org/
MWSRP was located on Rangali until a few years ago.
https://maldiveswhalesharkresearch.o...-mpa-maldives/
https://maldiveswhalesharkresearch.o...uth-ari-atoll/
https://maldiveswhalesharkresearch.o...toll-maldives/
You can request the full abstracts.

50 boats in one area??! That is insane. Why did the MWSRP leave Rangali, do you know? When we went, we didn’t experience the tons of boats around - it was very quiet back in (2012, 2013). We went with the MWSRP team. They did mention at the time about other resorts going out on boats and doing crazy things like overcrowding etc sometimes. But it wasn’t the norm, I don’t think.

50 boats out in one area is insane though, that’s dangerous to everybody. I won’t be going out again so. 29% of whale sharks getting injured is dreadful
Old Apr 5, 2019, 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by pineapple_09
50 boats in one area??! That is insane. Why did the MWSRP leave Rangali, do you know? When we went, we didn’t experience the tons of boats around - it was very quiet back in (2012, 2013). We went with the MWSRP team. They did mention at the time about other resorts going out on boats and doing crazy things like overcrowding etc sometimes. But it wasn’t the norm, I don’t think.

50 boats out in one area is insane though, that’s dangerous to everybody. I won’t be going out again so. 29% of whale sharks getting injured is dreadful
If you have even a slight environmentalist/conservationist bent, you will notice a lot of hypocrisy when you visit. The local elite and their investment partners are trying to exploit the place (i.e. soak foreigners) for all its worth before it's underwater. It's sad sometimes. I feel for the workers and anyone who has no other option. One previous Maldivian president was at least trying to buy land abroad to relocate everyone when the inevitable happens. I'm not sure how far along he got.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 9:21 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Nstaskey
Have a great time - Interested to see if they offer you any complimentary upgrade^
No upgrade but got the room I requested 330 so I’m happy.
Some changes, in villa dining has increased to $18 from $15 and the afternoon tea starting today will be at Rangalli Bar from 330 to 430 and Happy hour at Villa from 4-5.

Everything was a bit off yesterday service wise we were on the first plane in and got one of the day rooms everyone else except another couple had to wait in Rangalli and there were 2 more full flights in before noon so it was a bit crowded there. Trying to get ice delivered to the room in the afternoon and evening after dinner to enjoy some drinks took over an hour and there was a piece of bacon on the railing of the deck when we got into the room and then no beach towels. We left happy hour after 35-40 minutes because we were tired and they did not have any appetizers served by then. Headed off to breakfast now will repost with some further observations later.

Old Apr 7, 2019, 9:57 pm

I was on one of those later flights yesterday. Departing at 11:20am and in around 1pm after the the time change.

Things were crazy busy at MLE airport as it seemed at least 4-5 wide bodies landed within 30 minutes of each other. Our incoming flight to MLE to circle for 20 minutes because of ATC before landing and then another 20 minutes of waiting on the plane before our buses arrived. Once off the plane the terminal was elbow to elbow but immigration only took 5-10 minutes and our bags were already on the belt circling. We found the guy with the Conrad sign in the sea of hotel signs and were off the TMA for weighing and to the lounge in 10 minutes. We were told 90 minutes upon arrival for the seaplane but it ended up being less than 10 minutes (no massage). And we were on the island by 1pm local time with a full flight of 15.

Room was ready immediately and after a quick detour to grab fins at the dive center we were in our Superior Water Villa (received our choice as well) before 2. All seemed well organized besides the Happy Hour yesterday that was a bit crowded. Though we just had to flag down our server to get a drink. We left around 5pm when the Tea ended but walking back through around 5:15 we did see most people with small plates of something savory. By the way we were told that Happy Hour was going to be 4:30-5:30 so no overlap with Tea.

Room service breakfast breakfast this morning was relaxing and amazing and perhaps the be $20.16 ever spend. Trying to decide if we will ever leave the Villa for breakfast this week.

Let me know if if there any questions I can answer. I’m here all week.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 12:15 am

Originally Posted by JRV62
Happy hour at Villa from 4-5.
By that I presume you mean Vilu.

Thanks for the posts, guys. Could you please double-check on the times (3:30 - 4:30 & 4:30 - 5:30 respectively) and find out whether Afternoon Tea has moved to Rangali Bar temporarily or if it's permanent. Cheers. I'd hate to think it has moved to Rangali Bar for good.....
Old Apr 8, 2019, 12:35 am

Sitting here in MLE at the lounge. Our Qatar flight landed at 930 and we have to wait until 12:00 for the transfer. At least we got the massage, but I'm bored!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.