Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2019, 11:47 am

How much USD do you suggest we bring for a five night stay? I assume the cash is really only for tips as we can charge everything else to our credit card. Please correct me if I’m wrong
Old Mar 25, 2019, 12:01 pm

Sure, you can charge everything to a card. Tips are already included as there is a 10% service fee which is distributed evenly among the staff. Some people bring cash for tips though so whatever you feel is comfortable. As for exenditure, they pre-authorize your CC for $500 per day (not inclusive of tax) on arrival as that's approximately the average spend of the average non-millionnaire guest. You can get a much better idea of how much you will spend if you take a look through the F&B menus, spa menus and excursions / Daily Planner pdf should you wish to.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 1:01 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by WorldTraveler1752
How much USD do you suggest we bring for a five night stay? I assume the cash is really only for tips as we can charge everything else to our credit card. Please correct me if I’m wrong

I gave $5 to our room boy every morning (and $20 on the last day), and I feel like he was practically waiting for us to go to breakfast every morning. For the pricier restaurants, such as Ithaa and Koko Grill, I left a $20. I gave a $20 to our room host upon check-in, but he disappeared after the introduction to the property and review of our dinner arrangements not to be seen again until it was time to depart. Each bill that you can charge to your room has the option for a gratuity, but, as MaldivesFreak indicates, the service charge does get distributed to the staff. (I'm skeptical in most situations whether or not that is actually the case.)

One thing stateside we don't really pay attention to but is important elsewhere is the condition of the banknotes. I've never had a $20 bill scrutinized as closely as the one I handed to the attendant when entering the National Museum in Malé. Make sure the bills are mint condition if you expect to use them outside of paying gratuities.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by Majuki
I feel like he was practically waiting for us to go to breakfast every morning
The room boys have only 3 villas each to service so they are really able to take notice of when their guests depart in the mornings and evenings and have the time to do fancy bed decorations and whatnot.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 2:42 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
The room boys have only 3 villas each to service so they are really able to take notice of when their guests depart in the mornings and evenings and have the time to do fancy bed decorations and whatnot.
Yep. I remember you mentioning that here in the past. They hustle and seem to take pride in their work.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 3:42 pm

Programs: Hilton Lifetime Diamond and United Global Services
Originally Posted by ecophoto
Air India has a lounge in the sterile international area. It is nothing to write home about, but has snacks, drinks and showers. We spent a few hours there on our last trip to the Conrad, and it was much better than killing time in the main terminal. The staff were super friendly and helpful, and insisted on us not leaving the lounge until boarding began on our connecting flight. I would rate it much higher than the Air India business class in flight experience.
I can't speak to any of the post-customs lounge options outside the sterile area.
Awesome - Thanks for the response. I did get an India E-Visa just in case. That process was very easy and only took 2 days to get it.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 1:16 am

Programs: Airlines - Only in the pointy end on points, Hilton Diamond
For those that pay cash rates this flash sale that starts 9am GMT today may be handy (pending actual rates) as it also includes a 15% dining discount, that would be a decent bonus given the usual food and beverage spend at Rangali.
https://discover.hilton.com/en_ap/of...624670_3508315
Enjoy up to 35%* off your stay plus 15% dining discount at our restaurants* in Australia, New Zealand, New Caledonia, Thailand, Singapore, Indonesia and other South East Asia destinations.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 1:35 am

Haven't looked again but I thought it excluded Maldives from the food discount

Last edited by Cynicor; Mar 26, 2019 at 1:53 am
Old Mar 26, 2019, 1:38 am

Programs: Airlines - Only in the pointy end on points, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Cynicor
Have looked again but I thought it excluded Maldives from the food discount
Just the Waldorf Astoria Maldives according to the T&C, no mention of Rangali.
"Discount is applicable at all participating F&B outlets for all hotels except Saltbush (DoubleTree Alice Springs) and all outlets at both Waldorf Astoria Bangkok and Waldorf Astoria Maldives."
Old Mar 26, 2019, 1:54 am

Ah excellent. My poor reading/memory.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 5:35 am

Programs: HH Diamond, BAEC
Instagram is flooded these days with these water villas with slides (Soneva Jani, Jumeirah Vittaveli, etc) - are these places all “style and no substance” if that makes sense? Conrad just to me is very special - not sure if those places would have the same vibe that Conrad has.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 11:38 am

Programs: Delta, Southwest, Hilton, IHG
If our flight is out of Male at 1015am in November, would we be able to take a morning sea plane from the Conrad to Male for our flight or do we need to go to Male the evening before? It doesn’t look like there are any nice places to stay in Male or the Airport Island, but we don’t want to miss our flight and be out of pocket either.

Thanks!
Old Mar 26, 2019, 12:17 pm

Hi All, apologies if questions like these have been answered before, I read through quite a few pages & couldn't find answers to a few of these. Any help/suggestions/tips would be greatly appreciated as this will be my first time out to Maldives!

Just booked flights out to MLE in Nov/Dec. flight is scheduled to land on a Tuesday at 10:05 PM. Looking at transfers to the island, I read that the cutoff is 10:00 PM. Assuming I'm past that time by 5 minutes, I'll need to find a place my first night. Would that assumption be correct?

Further, as noted above I will be arriving at MLE on Tues Nov 26th, departing on Wed Dec 4th at 12:05 AM (so really Tuesday night...). I will hopefully be using points for a 5 night stay at the Conrad (willing the availability doesn't disappear in the next month, once my sign up bonus points hit). My first question is, as I only have the means of doing a 5 night stay on points. Would you suggest spending 2 nights near MLE on arrival, then departing Conrad on the latest possible flight on Tuesday Dec 3rd? Or, spend my 1st night near MLE, 5 days at conrad, then 1 more night near MLE?

Further, as of right now, availability for a Water Villa shows up on every day except Friday, Nov 29th... So, when I go into booking I am only given the option of a beach villa for the 5 day period. Is it possible to somehow book the water villa for 4 nights & get the beach villa for 1 and still take advantage of the 5th night free on reward purchases? I haven't redeemed with Hilton before & I don't know if this is possible or not.

Any help on these questions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Old Mar 26, 2019, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by mendezka
Just booked flights out to MLE in Nov/Dec. flight is scheduled to land on a Tuesday at 10:05 PM. Looking at transfers to the island, I read that the cutoff is 10:00 PM. Assuming I'm past that time by 5 minutes, I'll need to find a place my first night. Would that assumption be correct?
Well.....they'd probably get you to the resort the same night, and you'd check in at like 1:30 or 2:00 in the morning. Ugh.

Further, as noted above I will be arriving at MLE on Tues Nov 26th, departing on Wed Dec 4th at 12:05 AM (so really Tuesday night...). I will hopefully be using points for a 5 night stay at the Conrad (willing the availability doesn't disappear in the next month, once my sign up bonus points hit). My first question is, as I only have the means of doing a 5 night stay on points. Would you suggest spending 2 nights near MLE on arrival, then departing Conrad on the latest possible flight on Tuesday Dec 3rd? Or, spend my 1st night near MLE, 5 days at conrad, then 1 more night near MLE?
I would pay for an extra night in cash or buy the points from Hilton when there's a promo going on to reduce the cost. Believe me, 5 nights will fly by like you never knew and the extra expense for a 6th night will be worth it. If you can't do that, then take 2 nights at MLE, especially if you're coming from the USA where it's a very long haul to get to MLE. Sleep half a day on the first night, go see the museum and check out some local food. Then have another good rest then head off to the resort at the crack of dawn the next morning. And check out this post for more info on why it's better to arrive at Rangali as early as possible and leave as late as possible.

Further, as of right now, availability for a Water Villa shows up on every day except Friday, Nov 29th... So, when I go into booking I am only given the option of a beach villa for the 5 day period. Is it possible to somehow book the water villa for 4 nights & get the beach villa for 1 and still take advantage of the 5th night free on reward purchases? I haven't redeemed with Hilton before & I don't know if this is possible or not.
This is easily sorted. Call HHonors and get them to get the resort's reservation department on the phone while you are making the points booking and they'll do it from there.

Last edited by MaldivesFreak; Mar 26, 2019 at 2:24 pm
Old Mar 26, 2019, 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
Well.....they'd probably get you to the resort the same night, and you'd check in at like 1:30 or 2:00 in the morning. Ugh.

I would pay for an extra night in cash or buy the points from Hilton when there's a promo going on to reduce the cost. Believe me, 5 nights will fly by like you never knew and the extra expense for a 6th night will be worth it. If you can't do that, then take 2 nights at MLE, especially if you're coming from the USA where it's a very long haul to get to MLE. Sleep half a day on the first night, go see the museum and check out some local food. Then have another good rest then head off to the resort at the crack of dawn the next morning. And check out https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30092761-post3421.html]this post for more info on why it's better to arrive at Rangali as early as possible and leave as late as possible.

This is easily sorted. Call HHonors and get them to get the resort's reservation department on the phone while you are making the points booking and they'll do it from there.
I greatly appreciate the help. I'm flying out from San Francisco, doing a stopover for 3 days in Hong Kong. Planning on getting some rest there & just do some simple exploring of the city. Originally I was planning on using a free night cert at the Conrad Hong Kong. But, I think I'll take your word for it with 5 nights being too quick at Rangali & use free night cert for a 6th night at Rangali. Definitely worth more on value for point stand point anyway.

Seriously thank you for the tips posted throughout this thread. It is insanely helpful!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.