Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2019, 10:13 pm

Originally Posted by NightFury1

the day I booked happened to fall right on Chinese New Year so I’m glad the hotel wouldn’t be too packed!
Hmmm, I think starting from a week before CNY until a week after CNY, Chinese citizens will be out and about vacationing, especially from CNY onward. So around 01/18/20 is when it starts picking up steam and 01/24/19 is when it gets full blown crazy and lasts for around a week.

Source: Am Chinese.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 5:33 am

Originally Posted by divinebaboon
Hmmm, I think starting from a week before CNY until a week after CNY, Chinese citizens will be out and about vacationing, especially from CNY onward. So around 01/18/20 is when it starts picking up steam and 01/24/19 is when it gets full blown crazy and lasts for around a week.

Source: Am Chinese.
I’m not sure where you’re from in China or elsewhere, but most Chinese people I know go back to their home city or stay indoors for the passing of the year which falls on january the 25th next year. I work with a dentist that goes back to Taiwan every year to celebrate with his family.

My experiences has had been pretty much what Maldives freak said. I don’t really see many Chinese vacationing during that week due to the tradition of staying home for a whole week for Chinese people in a China, but I do notice Chinatown in any other country is popping during that week.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 5:37 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Things have changed over time. I was in Bangkok for Chinese new year last year and word on the street was several hundred thousand extra Chinese tourists had descended on the city. It certainly made for an unusual vibe!
Old Feb 28, 2019, 6:22 am

I’d caution comparing Bangkok with anywhere such as the Maldives. Bangkok is a big city and already has a huge influx of Chinese tourists. Not to mention Bangkok is extremely affordable by Chinese standards.

I would figure the same for Seoul and Tokyo and most southeast Asian places where they cater a lot to Chinese tourists.

for example, in this very thread during this years Chinese New Year on the 6th, we heard no influx of Chinese tourists. Rather, things started “dying down” a week or two prior from people leaving from festive season.

Ultimately you may be right, but since I’m literally going to be there the day after Chinese New Year, I’d be able to provide a data point, if it’s crowded or can be counted with fingers. 😄
Old Feb 28, 2019, 1:08 pm

Oh, and I saw your rating over on TA: 2 out of 5. A bit generous, maybe? LOL. I wonder how many people would rate the experience a negative number if they were allowed to.

Originally Posted by pineapple_09
Does 223 have a bath in it or does it have a daybed instead of the bath?
Yes, good question. Let's start compiling the renovated room numbers and noting what they have in the pavilion.

Originally Posted by senatorbrown
I am still not certain why the Conrad charges more for an upgrade to the Deluxe Water Villa over a Spa Retreat Water Villa. Any explanation to this?
Well, DWVs are the furthest distance apart from each other and so have the least noise from neighbours and are at a location that is pretty private and has an excellent beach nearby. They are all sunset-facing as well with totally unobstructed views of the ocean. I'd take one any day over a RWV (unless I had kids of course where the extra space would be handy).

Last edited by Canarsie; Apr 24, 2019 at 12:14 am Reason: Consolidation.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 2:11 pm

Another vote for the "lots of Chinese at CNY time". Hilton Niseko and Cairns are both amazingly crowded at that time and I can't see why the Maldives would be any different. People visit family at CNY time, but often the really well off just fly all together somewhere now.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 6:11 pm

Programs: HH Lifetime Diamond, DL PM, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
Yes, good question. Let's start compiling the renovated room numbers and noting what they have in the pavilion.

Well, DWVs are the furthest distance apart from each other and so have the least noise from neighbours and are at a location that is pretty private and has an excellent beach nearby. They are all sunset-facing as well with totally unobstructed views of the ocean. I'd take one any day over a RWV (unless I had kids of course where the extra space would be handy).
I've stayed in both and preferred the DWV to RWV for all the reasons noted above. It is worth the price premium.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 7:53 pm

Programs: AA EP/4MM, DL GM/1MM, HH ♦, Bonvoy LT PLT, Hyatt Globalist, AMEX Bus Plt
Oh, and I saw your rating over on TA: 2 out of 5. A bit generous, maybe? LOL. I wonder how many people would rate the experience a negative number if they were allowed to.
What rating would meet your approval? Were you there and did you experience what I did?
Old Feb 28, 2019, 8:41 pm

Programs: Lots, some no/low status some high status, can't be bothered to list them :-)
Originally Posted by pineapple_09

Hope you are having a lovely holiday with your little one! Does 223 have a bath in it or does it have a daybed instead of the bath?

Daybed and a hanging/swinging chair.
sorry for the poor photo!

Old Feb 28, 2019, 10:53 pm

Originally Posted by texmanufan
What rating would meet your approval? Were you there and did you experience what I did?
Just kidding and making smalltalk, you know, trying to cool things down a bit. NVM.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 4:27 am

Programs: AA EP/4MM, DL GM/1MM, HH ♦, Bonvoy LT PLT, Hyatt Globalist, AMEX Bus Plt
Just kidding and making smalltalk, you know, trying to cool things down a bit. NVM.
Sorry I took it the wrong way then.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 7:11 am

Originally Posted by Private Pyle
Daybed and a hanging/swinging chair.
sorry for the poor photo!
A swing, you say?
Old Mar 1, 2019, 8:32 am

Programs: HH Diamond, BAEC
Originally Posted by lhrhappy
A swing, you say?
There’s a pic of it on here - will see if I can find it.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 10:32 am

Programs: M&M SEN (*G), HH Diamond
I posted some pics of the swing in post #2225.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 11:09 am

Programs: Lots, some no/low status some high status, can't be bothered to list them :-)
Originally Posted by lhrhappy
A swing, you say?
Yes, it’s in the poor photo I posted, to the right of the daybed, not easy to see in the photo though. It doesn’t swing far as you’ll smash into the wall or daybed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.