Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2018, 11:14 am

If you search back in the thread a couple of months ago there was a post with some photos from a seaplane which shows exactly where it is.

Sorry goliath, I used quick reply and didn't see your post.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 3:44 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, BAEC
Originally Posted by JRV62
Has anyone done the Whale shark excursion through them, is it worth it? I don't remember the price and I know there is no guarantee of seeing any-- is there a better likelihood of seeing them certain parts of the year, we are returning in early April.
Thanks!
Yes, we went three times when we stayed there - saw whale sharks two out of the three times. It was definitely one of the highlights of the trip, I’d really recommend it. It is truly incredible seeing a whale shark up close like that!
Old Nov 3, 2018, 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by pineapple_09

Yes, we went three times when we stayed there - saw whale sharks two out of the three times. It was definitely one of the highlights of the trip, I’d really recommend it. It is truly incredible seeing a whale shark up close like that!
did you prebook? or just book the days while there when u feel like going out?

i know its' no guarantee to see them and i would also prefer not to go out on the sea if weather / visibility is not good
Old Nov 3, 2018, 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by JRV62
Has anyone done the Whale shark excursion through them, is it worth it? I don't remember the price and I know there is no guarantee of seeing any-- is there a better likelihood of seeing them certain parts of the year, we are returning in early April.
Thanks!
i have read on a couple of websites before abt the following "The best time to look for a whale shark is three to five hours before high tide and a few days before the full moon."

so i guess there must be enough statistics to support that. not 100% guarantee, just better likelihood
Old Nov 3, 2018, 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by gnomey
did you prebook? or just book the days while there when u feel like going out?

i know its' no guarantee to see them and i would also prefer not to go out on the sea if weather / visibility is not good
both trips we were there in late June / early July. We pre booked as it was only on once/twice a week so could book out quickly. It’s just luck really. I think we saw 3 whale sharks the first time we went. Second time was called off mid trip due to a Portuguese man of war jellyfish attack on some people on our boat so we had to turn back. Third time we saw 1 or 2 (we rebooked for another day since the second trip got cancelled).
Old Nov 4, 2018, 10:12 am
DIM

Programs: UA 1K, Delta Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Denied to book a table in Mandhoo in advance ((

Strange situation: will stay on the first days of January 2019 and decided to book a table in Mandhoo in advance on the day of my arrival - to be sure that after a long way we will have a place for dinner. Send a message to a concierge thru Hilton app - received an answer that they are NOT making a reservations at all - first come/first serve.

Unfortunately we don’t reserve certain tables, restaurant will be opening at 19:00pm, so if you would like to have table from outside, kindly be present in the restaurant at 19:00.

Is that true - or it was me who asked for the table booking to early?
Old Nov 4, 2018, 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by DIM
Strange situation: will stay on the first days of January 2019 and decided to book a table in Mandhoo in advance on the day of my arrival - to be sure that after a long way we will have a place for dinner. Send a message to a concierge thru Hilton app - received an answer that they are NOT making a reservations at all - first come/first serve.

Unfortunately we don’t reserve certain tables, restaurant will be opening at 19:00pm, so if you would like to have table from outside, kindly be present in the restaurant at 19:00.

i think you tried to book way too early - I think it is 2 weeks prior to arriving to pre-book.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 5:40 pm

Programs: Airlines - Only in the pointy end on points, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by DIM

To me that response reads like they will not reserve a specific table rather than not being able to make a reservation.

I would follow up for confirmation about a reservation.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by DIM

@pineapple_09 is right and @SponsorSFC is right as well regarding specific tables. I doubt that through the app you are getting a response from anyone at the property, it'll just be going through to Hilton USA. Don't rely on any app or Hilton website for current info when staying at this property. All the info you need is here. Further to this, you can relax because you can indeed book up to two weeks prior. Send them an email 2 weeks out with your dates and times and arrive early on the night to get the table you want.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 3:18 am

Programs: AA, EXP, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
Actually that's what we do every visit. A fitting final dinner at Rangali. Was the Champagne & Lobster dinner cancelled due to the weather?
Nope- we just realized after Maldivian night that we just don’t eat enough at dinner to make a buffet worth it.....and we loved the Mandhoo and (imagined we would also love) Sunset grill ambience so much at night that we thought it would be a better spot....and we were right!

thanks a ton again for all the recommendations. Spot on. We are seriously considering a return in August.....
Old Nov 5, 2018, 3:56 am

Maldivian night

Curious thoughts on this experience. Are there plenty of proteins on tap?

Also, gold/diamond happy hour at Vilu is currently 4:30-5-30, not 5-6 as listed in the wiki.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 8:54 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, Etihad Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by brodielayne
Also, gold/diamond happy hour at Vilu is currently 4:30-5-30, not 5-6 as listed in the wiki.
And the afternoon tea is at Mandhoo from 4-5 still? If so then it's really difficult to do both!
Old Nov 5, 2018, 8:59 am

Programs: M&M SEN (*G), HH Diamond
Originally Posted by goofygoofygooberyeah
And the afternoon tea is at Mandhoo from 4-5 still?!
No, from 4 to 5 at Vilu.

If so then it's really difficult to do both!
Quite easy, since both are now held at Vilu.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 9:06 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, Etihad Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by goliath
No, from 4 to 5 at Vilu.

Quite easy, since both are now held at Vilu.
Oh, in that case the '100% up-to-date' statement in the wiki may be a bit overstated. Currently the wiki states it can be occasionally at Vilu, so hopefully if for whatever reason it does go to Mandhoo then the times also are shifted. But either way good news for now! And nice that they put both in the same place as I can imagine it's not so convenient for the armada of Gold/Diamond members to all need to travel across the resort daily if they want to go to both.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 12:52 pm

Oh, in that case the '100% up-to-date' statement in the wiki may be a bit overstated. Currently the wiki states it can be occasionally at Vilu, so hopefully if for whatever reason it does go to Mandhoo then the times also are shifted. But either way good news for now! And nice that they put both in the same place as I can imagine it's not so convenient for the armada of Gold/Diamond members to all need to travel across the resort daily if they want to go to both.
Hey, it was 110% up-to-date and went down to 100%.....
Anyway, sorry, my bad. I was waiting to see whether it moved back to Mandhoo but yeah, should've been changed. Done.

Originally Posted by brodielayne
Curious thoughts on this experience. Are there plenty of proteins on tap?
By using the plural, are you talking about vegetable protein as well as real protein? Anyway, here's the answer.....

Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
Admittedly this is from about 3 years ago but I doubt they've changed it that much;
* local salad selection (pumpkin tuna salad, coconut drumstick salad, Maldivian rocket leaves with local fish salad etc)
* grill station with local fish, chicken fillet, beef fillet, whole roasted lamp spit, Maldivian short section
* Maldivian bread section
* six different curries in the corner

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.