Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2014] Millennium Hilton Bangkok {THA}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE to 2014] Millennium Hilton Bangkok {THA}

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2014, 12:41 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Beware the in-room coffee machine

We recently spent four nights here, our fourth or fifth stay at this property in the last few years. We still love the location. We were treated well as Diamonds, the evening lounge appetizers were more generous than on our last visit, and you can still get 'hard' liquor as well as wine and beer.

One annoyance: We discovered a bill on my pillow for the coffee pods we had used in the Nespresso-type machine in our room. We looked and only then realized there was a 'fine print' couple of lines on the inside cover of the box containing the coffee pods indicating the charge. We happen never to have stayed at a property where there is a charge for using an in-room pods or pellets machine, including the Conrad Maldives, where we have just completed a six-night stay after leaving Bangkok.

We complained politely to the lounge staff and the front desk, suggesting there should be a prominent sign displayed next to the machine if they wish to charge for it.

The cost didn't blow our travel budget by any means, but it came across as a sneaky charge and I didn't appreciate it.
Old Feb 18, 2014, 12:15 am

Programs: FB Platinum For Life, HH Diamond
Two nights at the Millenium Hilton as HHD on points. Upgraded to executive room. Invitation letter stated that only lounge breakfast is free and breakfast in the restaurant will cost a 385 THB surcharge. However, the check-in agent specifically mentioned the restaurant as an option (maybe there is a difference between HHD and people who booked an executive room). I had breakfast twice at the restaurant and did not get charged.

Location. I really loved the room with a view of the river, and thought that the location is quite nice. Going up and down the river by Chao Phraya Express seems to be one of the more efficient modes of transport in Bangkok anyway. I had a dinner sitting outside with a view over the river: also very nice.

Room. Nicely designed.

Gym. Very large and with plenty of machines that you don't normally see in Hilton gyms anywhere in the world. Nice. At 11pm, the light switches off automatically and I was unable to find a light switch (the entire 4th floor was deserted, and even in the elevator area there was only emergency lighting).

Lounge. I didn't really get the lounge. I went there the first day and got one of their specialty drinks. There were some lunch snacks (mostly fresh fruit). In the evening (after the free cocktail time ends), everything is empty and there is hardly a point going to the lounge. After two attempts to utilize it, I decided that it's not worth my time.

Breakfast. The breakfast in the restaurant is opulent and has many options from various Asian cuisines. Ironically (probably due to my boring European tastes), I did not find it very exciting. In the end, I had fried eggs and baked beans. I somehow feel that this is mostly my personal problem and not the fault of the people running the restaurant.

Check-out. I never had this before: while I was checking out, someone went to the room and checked the safe. I was informed that the safe is empty. I am sure that this is mainly to protect them from ridiculous claims, but I still find it very nice. They called a taxi to the airport which charged 500 THB fixed rate: as far as I understand, this is not too much more than what metered taxis charge. But I would have liked the opportunity to make the choice myself.

Summary. For some reason, I wasn't wow'ed. But it was a nice stay, and at 30,000 points a night an extraordinarily good deal. Next time, I'll try the Conrad for comparison, but I would certainly return.
Old Feb 18, 2014, 4:22 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by fb175091
Next time, I'll try the Conrad for comparison, but I would certainly return.
You should try the Hilton Sukhumvit as a fair comparison...Conrad Bangkok is definitely a class higher!
Old Feb 18, 2014, 6:28 am

Programs: Lufthansa FTL, HHonors Gold, Le Club Accorhotels Platinum
Originally Posted by gummibar
Conrad Bangkok is definitely a class higher!
Not for me ... I'd take a night at Hilton Sukhumvit over Conrad any day
Old Feb 18, 2014, 1:43 pm
DUS

Programs: LH HON, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by olisch
Not for me ... I'd take a night at Hilton Sukhumvit over Conrad any day
Why?

I stayed in all 4 Hilton properties in BKK over the course of the last 2 weeks and I enjoyed all 4. If I had to come up with a ranking (for me as a leisure and not a business traveller to BKK), I think the ranking would look something like this:

1. Conrad / Hilton Sukhumvit joined 1st
3. DT
4. Hilton Millenium

With regard to the Millenium, whilst I loved the view, I found the staff less friendly than in any of the other 3 properties and as a Diamond I have always been treated significantly better at the other Hilton properties than at the Millenium (suite upgrades).

But at the end of the day, I would enjoy a stay at any of the 4.
Old Feb 18, 2014, 10:15 pm

Programs: Lufthansa FTL, HHonors Gold, Le Club Accorhotels Platinum
Originally Posted by DUS
Why?
- newer
- friendlier staff
- way better mattress
- easy to get around by skytrain

but each to his own, everyone who prefers Conrad has my blessing
Old Feb 27, 2014, 12:24 pm

Kudos to Hilton

I had to cancel a trip past the cancellation deadline and the hotel staff was kind enough to cancel it without charging me anything.
It's a pleasure to deal with people who understand the situation and know how to treat people
Old Mar 29, 2014, 2:13 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA ExPlt, Diamond HH, HY, BW, & Titanium Elite Marriott
I have been looking for a review of the Conrad. I think it is pretty close to this hotel. However, I am trying to decide between the four Hilton properties in Bangkok.

Taking my family to BKK in June. Looking at Conrad, Millennium, Sukhumvit, or Double Tree. Advantages and disadvantages to each:
1. I'm Diamond.
2. Breakfast included?
3. Full or continental breakfast?
4. Lounge or restaurant for breakfast?
5. Snacks throughout the day?
6. Evening hot foods in lounge?
7. Room upgrade?
8. View?
9. Hotel/Airport shuttle complimentary?
10. Tour desk?
11. Walking distance to shopping markets of interest?
12. Walking distance to any points of interest?
13. Any security concerns?
14. Nearby cheap food choices?
15. Other comments.
Old Mar 30, 2014, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by EasternTraveler
I have been looking for a review of the Conrad. I think it is pretty close to this hotel. However, I am trying to decide between the four Hilton properties in Bangkok.

Taking my family to BKK in June. Looking at Conrad, Millennium, Sukhumvit, or Double Tree. Advantages and disadvantages to each:
1. I'm Diamond.
2. Breakfast included?
3. Full or continental breakfast?
4. Lounge or restaurant for breakfast?
5. Snacks throughout the day?
6. Evening hot foods in lounge?
7. Room upgrade?
8. View?
9. Hotel/Airport shuttle complimentary?
10. Tour desk?
11. Walking distance to shopping markets of interest?
12. Walking distance to any points of interest?
13. Any security concerns?
14. Nearby cheap food choices?
15. Other comments.
The Millennium Hilton is not particularly close to the other Hilton BKK properties (in terms of distance).

I suggest that you might actually review the Hilton threads on BKK properties, rather than asking the same questions in a bunch of threads. A number of your questions regarding the Millennium Hilton are actually answered in the last few posts in this thread.
Old May 7, 2014, 1:50 am

Programs: BA KL LH Hilton Marriott
Just back from another lovely stay at Millenium Hilton Bangkok. I ring the changes between this property and Conrad when in the city as I have things I like about both. For the Millenium it is primarily the river views and location.

As Diamond was upgraded to nice King Exec Suite. Lounge was pleasant, although they really need to upgrade the furniture - big clumpy (uncomfortable) chairs and tables. Also missing little touches like flowers (it's Thailand, which hotels do not adorn tables with orchids or lotus?!).
Old May 8, 2014, 7:33 am

Programs: DL DM, AA ExPlt, Diamond HH, HY, BW, & Titanium Elite Marriott
Originally Posted by sbams
Just back from another lovely stay at Millenium Hilton Bangkok. I ring the changes between this property and Conrad when in the city as I have things I like about both. For the Millenium it is primarily the river views and location.

As Diamond was upgraded to nice King Exec Suite. Lounge was pleasant, although they really need to upgrade the furniture - big clumpy (uncomfortable) chairs and tables. Also missing little touches like flowers (it's Thailand, which hotels do not adorn tables with orchids or lotus?!).
I personally don't like flowers on my table. Takes up space, some stink, and they attract bugs.
Old May 18, 2014, 4:12 am

Staying here right now. Excellent location close to river. Much easier to travel around using river to beat traffic. A quick tip use the express ferries and not the tourist boat, much quicker and cheaper. Breakfast not currently served in exec lounge have to go downstairs.
Old May 19, 2014, 2:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Considering an award stay, Hilton has a promotional rate on the "Deluxe Plus" room for 29,590 points per night. Anyone have comments on this room type, and what the likely upgrade (if any) would be for a gold? I can also book an Executive Suite for 41,920 points per night.

I usually stay at the Shangri-La and enjoy being on the river. Any thoughts as well on whether I would regret choosing the Millenium instead?

Thanks!

Last edited by Kacee; May 19, 2014 at 2:08 am
Old May 19, 2014, 2:28 am

Programs: BA KL LH Hilton Marriott
Never stayed at the Shangri-La, I'm a Hilton man, but general opinion here on FT is that the Shangri-La is a superior hotel. That said, they are both on the river and the short boat trip from Khlong San over to River City or Sathorn is always enjoyable.
Old May 20, 2014, 1:37 am

Golds are almost always upgraded to executive floors, together with lounge access. When I was gold and stayed there often, there was only one occasion when an executive room was not available, due to the hotel being genuinely very busy, so standard room was given together with an apology and lounge access granted as well.

If you won't miss the 12,000 extra points, the Suite might be a good option.

There are two types of suites, the front ones on the river, and ones at the back which are the same size but obviously don't have the same river views.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.